PDA

View Full Version : OU's Landry Jones Butchers 40-Yard Dash at Combine

sooner KB
2/26/2013, 10:10 AM
During his record-setting Oklahoma career, Landry Jones was never confused for a dual-threat QB. He is and always will be a pocket passer, through and through.

Nonetheless, his 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine on Sunday raised a lot of eyebrows. And not in a good way.

Jones clocked in at a glacially slow 5.11 seconds – the worst among all quarterbacks. It wasn’t just the time that was ugly. The best descriptor we can think of to describe his running form is “man trying to traverse hot coals.”

Want a sobering basis of comparison for Jones’ time? In his recent efforts to stage an NFL comeback, former LSU QB JaMarcus Russell reportedly ran a 5.2 40-yard dash. And he weighs over 300 pounds.

If you watch the full video, it appears as if someone coached him to start high stepping after 20 yards to shave time off his 40. If that’s the case, that was some really bad advice.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2225803/lolandry.gif

http://www.lostlettermen.com/ous-jones-butchers-40-yd-dash-at-combine/

sooneron
2/26/2013, 10:40 AM
ugh

He runs like someone that has had a bad leg injury that is trying not to re-injure it.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2013, 10:43 AM
slightly off topic, but apparently Mani Te'o is not doing so well either...and apparently the NFL wants to know if he is gay.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2013, 10:51 AM
I was watching that last night and was just embarassed for him..everybody i know that is there was sending me texts about it and they said people were laughing everywhere..

Te'o workout is not suprising but he says he will improve on everything by the ND Pro Day...

C&CDean
2/26/2013, 10:55 AM
Looks a lot like Usain Bolt...not.

Ruf/Nek7
2/26/2013, 11:05 AM
Also hearing that he is not doing well under center and drop backs. Can't remember where i read it but someone accounted his issues to the "system" OU runs on offense. Basically the writer was saying too much shotgun has hurt LJ.

badger
2/26/2013, 11:07 AM
yeah... he needs a running coach stat. preferably before the OU pro day so that he can prove that he knows how to run a 40 yard dash :(

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 11:07 AM
Looks remarkably similar to Tom Brady's run at the combine.

That said, Landry preformed well in all the jumps and shuttles, as well as the 10-yard split in his 40. He just needs a running coach to work on his stride length.

ouleaf
2/26/2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah, i thought he had a decent initial burst, but for whatever reason his running style seemed to completely change like he was try to run the high knees drill through the ropes. Just a really awkward running style. He'll watch it and get coached up between now and his Pro Day and he'll run a better time then but it's not going to be that much better.

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah, i thought he had a decent initial burst, but for whatever reason his running style seemed to completely change like he was try to run the high knees drill through the ropes. Just a really awkward running style. He'll watch it and get coached up between now and his Pro Day and he'll run a better time then but it's not going to be that much better.

Exactly. The first 15 yards were fine. Basically even with Collin Klein.

C&CDean
2/26/2013, 11:25 AM
Run, Landry, run!!

rainiersooner
2/26/2013, 12:10 PM
Feel bad for him....

Breadburner
2/26/2013, 12:34 PM
Who ****ing dressed him that morning...???

EatLeadCommie
2/26/2013, 12:55 PM
he's running like Whitney's chasing him around with a love toy

EatLeadCommie
2/26/2013, 12:56 PM

combine attire...don't think he has much choice except for the shorts maybe

Seamus
2/26/2013, 01:14 PM
Jesus.

What would you ****ing vultures be saying if he had been a whorn or aggot?

Give this man a goddamn break. For once.

HToady
2/26/2013, 01:21 PM

You think he looks stupid? You need to check out Colin Klein's outfit. Looks like he dropped a load in the FRONT of his shorts

swardboy
2/26/2013, 01:25 PM
I'm truly sorry...but I can't process 5.11 seconds in the 40. Nevermind I probably can't run it that fast myself. There are handoffs that can't be made in that range. This is not good. Thank goodness for a Pro Day redemption chance.

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 01:26 PM
I'm truly sorry...but I can't process 5.11 seconds in the 40. Nevermind I probably can't run it that fast myself. There are handoffs that can't be made in that range. This is not good. Thank goodness for a Pro Day redemption chance.
Tom Brady ran 5.23 at the Combine. You're overreacting.

Mazeppa
2/26/2013, 01:27 PM
He would do better if he didn't have on concrete shoes.

Curly Bill
2/26/2013, 01:30 PM
He would do better if he had more mobility than a statue! ;)

swardboy
2/26/2013, 01:31 PM

OH WAIT...somehow my feeble brain equated 5.11 as being almost 6 seconds. Nevermind.........:/

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 01:51 PM
His 10-yard split was 1.69. Which was about average.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013-nfl-combine-results-quarterbacks/

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 01:54 PM

Short shuttle
Landry 4.3
Kenny Stills 4.35

Soonerjeepman
2/26/2013, 02:11 PM
he's running like Whitney's chasing him around with a love toy

that's funny....lol

Curly Bill
2/26/2013, 02:38 PM
Short shuttle
Landry 4.3
Kenny Stills 4.35

Don't care - just numbers! Anyone can tell watching those two which one can move and which one can't. Besides that, I don't think anyone has ever mistook Stills for some really shifty quick dude, good straight-line speed yes, quick and shifty no.

JiuJitsuSooner
2/26/2013, 02:40 PM

Short shuttle
Landry 4.3
Kenny Stills 4.35

40 yard dash:
Kenny Stills - 4.38
Landry Jones - 5.1

picasso
2/26/2013, 02:50 PM
Wow, I read where Landry was the most consistent passer during drills.

Dorks.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2013, 02:53 PM
40 yard dash:
Kenny Stills - 4.38
Landry Jones - 5.1

1. Anyone looking at Landry can tell that he should be able to shave .25 off of that time with some decent coaching. He looks as bad as some of the high school films I saw of Mark Clayton and his 5.0 forty.

2. There is a difference between "max" speed and "football" speed and that disparity for Stills is huge. He may be able to run a 4.4 on a track, but his effective game speed (the speed at which he can operate and still catch the ball) is much lower. If he were a baseball player, he'd be one of those guys with a 105 MPH swing against air, but to be able to control the bat he'd have to slow it down to 88.

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 03:30 PM
Don't care - just numbers! Anyone can tell watching those two which one can move and which one can't. Besides that, I don't think anyone has ever mistook Stills for some really shifty quick dude, good straight-line speed yes, quick and shifty no.
Right! Numbers only apply when they support your argument.

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 03:31 PM
1. Anyone looking at Landry can tell that he should be able to shave .25 off of that time with some decent coaching. He looks as bad as some of the high school films I saw of Mark Clayton and his 5.0 forty.

2. There is a difference between "max" speed and "football" speed and that disparity for Stills is huge. He may be able to run a 4.4 on a track, but his effective game speed (the speed at which he can operate and still catch the ball) is much lower. If he were a baseball player, he'd be one of those guys with a 105 MPH swing against air, but to be able to control the bat he'd have to slow it down to 88.
Agree on both.

I would have thought Landry would've spent some time w/ a track coach to prepare for this. Meaningless as it may be.

Curly Bill
2/26/2013, 03:35 PM
Right! Numbers only apply when they support your argument.

They largely apply to people that can't just watch the game and come to logical conclusions. Recruiting or drafting based on numbers, and not actual game ability, has led to disaster as often as not.

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 03:47 PM
They largely apply to people that can't just watch the game and come to logical conclusions. Recruiting or drafting based on numbers, and not actual game ability, has led to disaster as often as not.
Wise people use both.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2013, 04:06 PM
You have to use both...And about every team out there will place more emphasis on game film than combine numbers..the 49ers had their draft board completed before the combine started as did a couple of others..You do have guys that are workout freaks that people reach on but it's based off of potential and in most cases,NFL coaches have large enough egos they can take any raw athlete and make him a great football player.

Curly Bill
2/26/2013, 04:08 PM
Wise people use both.

I won't argue that.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2013, 04:20 PM

As far Stills goes, that's the same thing I've mentioned several times since his run..And it was evident in the drills..He started off with drops and had to slow down to concentrate on the catch.

sooner KB
2/26/2013, 04:53 PM
One of his linemen, Lane Johnson, ran a 4.72 by the way.

birddog
2/26/2013, 05:04 PM
Also hearing that he is not doing well under center and drop backs. Can't remember where i read it but someone accounted his issues to the "system" OU runs on offense. Basically the writer was saying too much shotgun has hurt LJ.

As a world class "athlete" I would imagine LJ could learn to drop 3 to 5 steps. Seriously

stoopified
2/26/2013, 05:18 PM
I fsil to see what all the hubbub is about.Landry is NOT being drafted for what he can do with his legs,rather what he can do with his crain and his arm.I'd be willing to bet his Wonderlic will be about twice what VY's two combined scores were.

StoopTroup
2/26/2013, 05:19 PM
that's funny....lol

I just wonder if it was a white toy.

8timechamps
2/26/2013, 05:36 PM
I typically turn away from any Landry bashing, but after watching that video, I must applaud the reporter (in the first post) that compared his style to a man running on hot coals. Excellent.

Anyway, I think most of the stuff done at the combine is fairly pointless. Why don't they have the players run the 40 in a full uniform and pads? Are they ever going to do so without all that gear? Nope.

I heard last night that Landry (despite his ugly 40) was pretty solid in all his throwing drills. Good for LJ!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2013, 05:50 PM
I typically turn away from any Landry bashing, but after watching that video, I must applaud the reporter (in the first post) that compared his style to a man running on hot coals. Excellent.

Anyway, I think most of the stuff done at the combine is fairly pointless. Why don't they have the players run the 40 in a full uniform and pads? Are they ever going to do so without all that gear? Nope.

I heard last night that Landry (despite his ugly 40) was pretty solid in all his throwing drills. Good for LJ!

The problem is that everyone takes him being perfect outside of games as a given.

From NFL.com

Bottom Line
The NFL-sized pocket passer can be decisive and flashes the accuracy to pick apart defenses at the next level. However, his tendency to get rattled under pressure is a major issue. Also, when things start to go downhill, he lacks a short memory; his confidence is shaken. He is also inconsistent in his reads and decision making.

sluggo sooner
2/26/2013, 06:33 PM
I will never forget his 3 wins over Texas and the audible to Stills to win the game against WV. I wish Landry Jones the very best.

Soonerjeepman
2/26/2013, 06:49 PM

lol, who knows...

I Am Right
2/26/2013, 07:36 PM
Brahahahahaha

sooner KB
2/26/2013, 07:51 PM

Can someone explain the joke to me? I've been racking my brain. I just don't get it. :grey:

MyT Oklahoma
2/26/2013, 09:13 PM
And now we know why we rarely saw LJ run with the ball at OU, huh? LOL

Oh well. I still wish him the best at the next level and I have more positive memories of him than not when he was at OU. LJ is a good man.

nighttrain12
2/26/2013, 11:11 PM

Please, never never again mention Tom Brady in the same breath as Landry Jones.

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 11:15 PM
Tom Brady and Landry Jones wear the #12.

blacktop
2/27/2013, 12:35 AM
I will never forget his 3 wins over Texas and the audible to Stills to win the game against WV. I wish Landry Jones the very best.

Agree. He is one of us and I wish him the very best also. Boomer!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/27/2013, 01:03 AM
Agree. He is one of us and I wish him the very best also. Boomer!Dittos. i just wish he wasn't so afraid to run, while he was QB at OU.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
2/27/2013, 07:20 AM

Concur!

Ruf/Nek7
2/27/2013, 07:42 AM
As a world class "athlete" I would imagine LJ could learn to drop 3 to 5 steps. Seriously

I personally think the writer of the article had it out against LJ or OU. Damn I wish I could remember where I found that thing.I am pretty sure I first saw it on twitter.

colleyvillesooner
2/27/2013, 08:28 AM

Please, never never again mention Tom Brady in the same breath as Landry Jones.

Not saying LJ is Tom Brady but given TB's measurable and performance at the combine, I'm sure people would have said the same thing about comparing him to a then current great QB.

thecrimsoncrusader
2/27/2013, 08:55 AM
It looks like Landry is sitting while running. Landry needs to run more upright and he almost makes Coach Stoops running style look normal. Almost.

OklaPony
2/27/2013, 10:09 AM
It looks like Landry is sitting while running. Landry needs to run more upright and he almost makes Coach Stoops running style look normal. Almost.

Right now Coach Stoops' (Bob, that is) running style includes a cast and a crutch.

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 02:36 PM
Landry Jones’ quarterback tutor says Landry Jones should be picked in first round of NFL Draft

Jim Corbett of USA Today:

Matt Ryan. Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones has drawn a comparison to the Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowler from quarterback guru George Whitfield, Jr., who tutored the former Sooners star for the past seven weeks.

"He’s absolutely a first rounder, especially when you look at not only his class, but classes prior to this one,” Whitfield told USA TODAY Sports at the scouting combine Friday. "I would say he’s similar to Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan doesn’t wear face paint; he’s not going to fist pump and all that stuff; he’s not going to head-butt his offensive linemen. He’s cool, calculated.

"The Atlanta Falcons took a senior who played an awful lot of games at Boston College, and they hooked that wagon to him. Landry is a little bit bigger than Matt Ryan. … (And) Landry is a master distributor.”

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/landry-jones-quarterback-tutor-says-landry-jones-should-be-picked-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft.html/

stoopified
2/27/2013, 03:39 PM
Not saying LJ is Tom Brady but given TB's measurable and performance at the combine, I'm sure people would have said the same thing about comparing him to a then current great QB.Yeah,I'm sure everyone said Brady ain't no Bledsoe.

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 06:08 PM
Who is this Bledsoe fella? :wink:

baja okla
2/28/2013, 10:56 PM
He runs like a dork..so do I. But he beat the hell out of Texas and throws a nice pass. Good guy in my book. Wish him all the best.

StoopTroup
2/28/2013, 11:00 PM
He beat the hell out of Texas and throws a nice pass. Good guy in my book. Wish him all the best.

Good Stuff.

I Am Right
3/1/2013, 04:56 PM
Is something wrong with his knees?