PDA

View Full Version : The shooter....guy who killed OBL

diverdog
2/25/2013, 06:42 PM
This a great article about the ST6 shooter who got OBL. Great read:

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313?click=mid

. For the first time, the Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden tells his story — speaking not just about the raid and the three shots that changed history, but about the personal aftermath for himself and his family. And the startling failure of the United States government to help its most experienced and skilled warriors carry on with their lives.

Read more: Man Who Killed Osama Bin Laden - Treatment of Veteran Who Shot bin Laden - Esquire http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313#ixzz2LxQh0Iw0

soonercruiser
2/25/2013, 11:46 PM
Diver,
How's about a book report like I did?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2013, 10:39 AM
I think there is something hidden. I do not believe he was left out in the cold, too many military people know exactly what they get in retirement and know exactly what their benefits are... There is something missing here...Why would a person leave the service voluntarily with 2 years to retirement? Something is not fully forthcoming here. His Commanders have debunked his I wasn't told story...

StoopTroup
2/26/2013, 03:49 PM
I think there is something hidden. I do not believe he was left out in the cold, too many military people know exactly what they get in retirement and know exactly what their benefits are... There is something missing here...Why would a person leave the service voluntarily with 2 years to retirement? Something is not fully forthcoming here. His Commanders have debunked his I wasn't told story...

I agree. Maybe he got lots of input from fellow Seals that suggested he should retire and try to make good on his story in the Private Sector. Then since he didn't get any offers he went job hunting and basically didn't get job offers? I'm just speculating here. Like you said...something doesn't add up.

BermudaSooner
2/26/2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for sharing..these SEALS are amazing people. Really don't understand why he wouldn't stay in for a little longer--don't some SEALS have desk jobs or can't he go be a SEAL trainer or something?

soonercruiser
2/26/2013, 05:41 PM

Really nothing hidden here.
Obummer wanted the credit as SOMETHING good that he did during his presidencies.
:ambivalence:

StoopTroup
2/26/2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks for sharing..these SEALS are amazing people. Really don't understand why he wouldn't stay in for a little longer--don't some SEALS have desk jobs or can't he go be a SEAL trainer or something?

Me either. What he and his buds did was awesome. From what I can tell...anyone of them could have been the guy that got him so I just wonder why he feels so alone in what should be a tight brotherhood of folks who pulled off one of the best US Operations on Foreign Soil.

Midtowner
2/26/2013, 05:55 PM
So he was treated exactly the way the rules say he should be treated and that's somehow bad?

Do your time, you get the cash. Quit early, get nothing.

8timechamps
2/26/2013, 07:37 PM
So he was treated exactly the way the rules say he should be treated and that's somehow bad?

Do your time, you get the cash. Quit early, get nothing.

You don't have a clue.

8timechamps
2/26/2013, 07:38 PM
This is the second time I've heard this account, and it's had me belly laughing both times:

One of the snipers who'd seen the disabled helo approached just before they went into the main building. He said, "Hey, dude, they've got an awesome mock-up of our helo in their yard." I said, "No, dude. They shot one of ours down." He said, "Okay, that makes more sense than the **** I was saying."

olevetonahill
2/26/2013, 07:43 PM
You don't have a clue.

He never has and Prolly never will Bro.

rock on sooner
2/26/2013, 07:58 PM
Welp, my take is that he said he was burned out...got out at 16 years..
4 more years is a long *** time, since it appears that he was thinking
about his family and wrecked marriage. Clearly, he and his wife still had
a thing for each other. Trying to get inside this warrior's head a little, maybe
he thinks about some of his buds going down in a chopper, not getting a
chance to face up or maybe the bullet that he doesn't hear or any one of
a large number of things that can go wrong on a mission. Think about it,
four month deployments and if you only kill 5 or 6 bad guys on a mission
it ain't worth it!

Those of us who have never sniffed that kind of battle have no right to sit
in any kind of judgement...none whatsoever! I am eternally grateful for
those who do what he did and are still doing it. I salute them, pray for
them. I have a flag that flew 24/7 from Sept 12, 2001 til that day in May.
I cherish that flag and wish I could hand it to any one of the 23.

God bless 'em!

Ton Loc
2/26/2013, 08:13 PM
I don't know what happened with this dude, but **** it. The guy killed Osama. He shouldn't need to worry about much the rest of his life and neither should the rest of ST6.

diverdog
2/26/2013, 09:44 PM
I don't know what happened with this dude, but **** it. The guy killed Osama. He shouldn't need to worry about much the rest of his life and neither should the rest of ST6.

i thought the most telling quote was when they said ST6 guys get the same retirement after 20 years as someone who spent 20 years in the Navy Choir. There is something wrong with that system.

A better system is the noncombat service gets full retirement after 62. A SEAL should be vested after 5 years of service with a scale going to full retirement at 20 years. So if you get out at 15 years you get 75% of your 20 year retirement plus medical.

rock on sooner
2/26/2013, 09:59 PM
i thought the most telling quote was when they said ST6 guys get the same retirement after 20 years as someone who spent 20 years in the Navy Choir. There is something wrong with that system.

A better system is the noncombat service gets full retirement after 62. A SEAL should be vested after 5 years of service with a scale going to full retirement at 20 years. So if you get out at 15 years you get 75% of your 20 year retirement plus medical.

Hell, DD, that makes too much sense! Best I can remember, the military
aint in ta makin sense...

olevetonahill
2/26/2013, 11:21 PM
What 8TC and Rock said.
If ya aint been there , aint done that, then ya need to STFU cause you dont ****ing know.

sappstuf
2/26/2013, 11:39 PM

Very doubtful. Those Navy Band guys don't make rank.. There are less than 200 of them, so they literally have to wait for someone to retire or die. Most get out way before that.

So they won't retire with as high a rank as a SEAL who did 20 and they certainly won't have any combat related disabilities that the SEALs will probably have and the SEAL will probably have more of them. Add all of that up and the SEAL will be getting a lot more cash at the end of the day.

When I was in San Antonio, I saw SEALs going through PA school all the time. Most of them wanted to get out of the SOC and into something beyond what the SEALs had to offer. I'm sure it is a little easier on the body as well. This guy could have chosen something like that for his family. I'm fairly certain SEAL officer packages will read pretty strong and they get selected for such things at a higher rate than your average Sailor.

So if this SEAL didn't want the grind anymore, he had options. If he was as physically broke as the story lets on, then he wasn't combat ready and he would have gotten a med board or at least transferred somewhere non deployable to finish his time out.

A Navy Admiral actually addressed this part of the story.

This former SEAL made a deliberate and informed decision to leave the Navy several years short of retirement status," Rear Adm. Sean Pybus, commander of Naval Special Warfare Command, wrote in a statement. "Months ahead of his separation, he was counseled on status and benefits, and provided with options to continue his career until retirement eligible. Claims to the contrary in these matters are false."

olevetonahill
2/26/2013, 11:44 PM
Very doubtful. Those Navy Band guys don't make rank.. There are less than 200 of them, so they literally have to wait for someone to retire or die. Most get out way before that.

So they won't retire with as high a rank as a SEAL who did 20 and they certainly won't have any combat related disabilities that the SEALs will probably have and the SEAL will probably have more of them. Add all of that up and the SEAL will be getting a lot more cash at the end of the day.

When I was in San Antonio, I saw SEALs going through PA school all the time. Most of them wanted to get out of the SOC and into something beyond what the SEALs had to offer. I'm sure it is a little easier on the body as well. This guy could have chosen something like that for his family. I'm fairly certain SEAL officer packages will read pretty strong and they get selected for such things at a higher rate than your average Sailor.

So if this SEAL didn't want the grind anymore, he had options. If he was as physically broke as the story lets on, then he wasn't combat ready and he would have gotten a med board or at least transferred somewhere non deployable to finish his time out.

Well said Sapp. Ya been there, Go to the head of the class.

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 12:14 AM
Everybody STFU!

diverdog
2/27/2013, 01:15 PM

Sapp:

The problem is that the SEALs face operational and combat stress at a much higher level than the rest of the service. These guys do more in 4 years than most career infantry officers do in 20 years. They should get special consideration.

badger
2/27/2013, 01:30 PM
I have seen documentaries on what Navy dudes have to go through to become SEALs and compared to pretty much every other top-level military thing you can try to get into, SEALs seem to be, by far, the most difficult. (netflix currently has few things on marines, green berets, army rangers, snipers, etc. if you're interested)

That said, those guys must be severely burned out to retire from being a SEAL after it took so much to become one in the first place.

8timechamps
2/27/2013, 04:56 PM
I have seen documentaries on what Navy dudes have to go through to become SEALs and compared to pretty much every other top-level military thing you can try to get into, SEALs seem to be, by far, the most difficult. (netflix currently has few things on marines, green berets, army rangers, snipers, etc. if you're interested)

That said, those guys must be severely burned out to retire from being a SEAL after it took so much to become one in the first place.

I don't know that the SEALs have the most difficult entrance process, but it's certainly at or near the top.

I'm biased in my opinion, but I'd say Marine Corp Force Recon training is as difficult as the SEAL's entrance program.

I didn't go through either of those, so I'm basing my opinion on my belief that the Marines are the most elite fighting force on the face of the earth. :)

olevetonahill
2/27/2013, 05:02 PM
8times
Bro in MHO anyone of the SOG groups are a bunch of tough mother****ers

rock on sooner
2/27/2013, 05:18 PM
I don't know that the SEALs have the most difficult entrance process, but it's certainly at or near the top.

I'm biased in my opinion, but I'd say Marine Corp Force Recon training is as difficult as the SEAL's entrance program.

I didn't go through either of those, so I'm basing my opinion on my belief that the Marines are the most elite fighting force on the face of the earth. :)

I have read more about the SEALs than Marine Force Recon but, it seems to
me that the SEALs are a more rounded fighting force...sea, air, land...seems
like every one of 'em has crazy sniper skills and each is a walking armory....
but, I agree with Vet, all the Spec Ops Groups are ***kickers. Glad they're
on our side!

badger
2/27/2013, 05:31 PM
The one I absolutely loved to watch was Green Beret (special forces) training. You could make it through their torture sessions and then still be told "no" at the end, unlike SEALs first wave stuff (Hell Week and before).

8timechamps
3/2/2013, 12:26 AM
I have read more about the SEALs than Marine Force Recon but, it seems to
me that the SEALs are a more rounded fighting force...sea, air, land...seems
like every one of 'em has crazy sniper skills and each is a walking armory....
but, I agree with Vet, all the Spec Ops Groups are ***kickers. Glad they're
on our side!

All of the JSOC units are pretty well rounded, but I know on numbers alone, the SEALS are more plentiful than MCFR. Six and one half dozen I guess, as I think you and vet are both correct...they all pretty much kick ***.

8timechamps
3/2/2013, 12:28 AM
The one I absolutely loved to watch was Green Beret (special forces) training. You could make it through their torture sessions and then still be told "no" at the end, unlike SEALs first wave stuff (Hell Week and before).

I thought SEAL recruits could go through the process and still be told no at the end, is that not correct?

That would be tough, to push yourself to finishing the process only to be told "thanks, but no thanks". I know the Delta guys typically don't get accepted in their first attempt. I can't imagine.

diverdog
3/2/2013, 07:51 AM
I thought SEAL recruits could go through the process and still be told no at the end, is that not correct?

That would be tough, to push yourself to finishing the process only to be told "thanks, but no thanks". I know the Delta guys typically don't get accepted in their first attempt. I can't imagine.

The USAF have some highly trained operators. If any of you guys saw Blackhawk down the two men who jumped into the downed helicopter were USAF pararescue. Both of them got them got the DSC. Every special forces unit we carried had an USAF combat controller with them. When the CIA went into Afghanistan they took combat controllers who directed the devastating bombing missions against the Taliban. One USAF specialty no one hears about are combat weatherman. My dad had a friend who would spend weeks in the jungle in North Vietnam ( solo) giving weather reports for bombing raids.

Harry Beanbag
3/2/2013, 08:19 AM
The USAF have some highly trained operators. If any of you guys saw Blackhawk down the two men who jumped into the downed helicopter were USAF pararescue. Both of the got them got the DSC.

Gordon and Shughart were Delta Force and they were awarded the Medal of Honor.

Harry Beanbag
3/2/2013, 08:26 AM
Maybe he got lots of input from fellow Seals that suggested he should retire and try to make good on his story in the Private Sector.

Um, no. This did not happen.

diverdog
3/2/2013, 08:31 AM
Gordon and Shughart were Delta Force and they were awarded the Medal of Honor.

Correct. They were killed defending Durant on Super Six Four. The AF PJs were at Super Six One crash site. Tim Wilkenson got the AF cross and Scott Fales the Silver Star. I was wrong because I thought both got the AF Cross.

Here is the scene from the movie:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UKMLGdOe9_Y&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUKMLGdOe9_Y

My squadron flew in a lot of the helicopters used over there. Place sucked.

Wishboned
3/2/2013, 02:41 PM

I would disagree...but I have a little bias in that regard.

In my time I got to work with Seals, Delta, and SAS. Trying to decide who has more rigorous entrance qualifications and training would be tough.

sappstuf
3/25/2013, 12:17 PM
Hmmm

Esquire Is Screwed: Duped By Fake UBL “Shooter”

One story coming out of Joint Special Operations Command is that the Esquire “shooter” isn’t the shooter after all. To be clear, he wasn’t the point man that put the well placed rounds into UBL’s head that ended the terrorist leaders life. Sure he was there, and deserves credit but he wasn’t the man who shot UBL, and ended his life. And this is an important fact that must be clarified.
The actual shooter at Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NSW DEVGRU or SEAL TEAM 6) has continued to maintain his professional integrity and has not come forward with the story, and most likely never will. Looks like Esquire and Bronstein are the ones who are really screwed, not their interviewee; our sources say he’s off cashing large checks from unsuspecting donors who bought the Esquire pity piece.
Here are some interesting insider facts:
The “Shooter” was removed from his DEVGRU Squadron for talking about the operation openly after being warned to “can it’
He was encouraged by leadership to remain in the SEAL community to finish out his career and gain his full retirement benefits
Apparently against his concerns about personal security he has been very active on the public speaking circuit
One Anonymous JSOC SEAL we spoke with says…
There was a discussion among all the SEALs before the raid that none of them wanted to shoot UBL in the head in order to preserve his face for the pictures that we would need to take to help identify the body.
Ok, according to,”the shooter” ,he was the second man in the stack behind the point man. They had no backup and so because they were in a hurry it was just him and the point man that assaulted up the stairs. I don’t know a single SEAL who would be in a rush to assault the third floor with just two men, there is no hostage so there is no need to hurry. Also, all the people waiting on the third deck had the most time to prepare a defense, so why would you only assault the third floor with just two SEALS. This makes no sense and is simply NOT what happened.

The shooter claims that the point man took a few shots as the man sticks his head out the door…. Ok we all agree on that. But here is where is story goes sideways AGAIN. The shooter claims that the point man, after taking his shots towards the adult male standing in the door that he then turned his attention towards the women in the hallway. There were ZERO women in the hallway. Also, ZERO shooters are going to take shots at an unidentified adult male and then simply peal off without following up to see if he hit that target to go deal with unarmed women. After the point man engaged toward the unknown male (UBL) he DID follow his shots and entered the room. When he saw that UBL was on the floor and no longer a threat, he dropped his weapon and then at that point dealt with the unarmed females. Even the shooter and No easy day say that the point man handled the women.
My point is, the point man would have NEVER dropped his cover on the adult male had he not been 200% sure he was no longer a threat. According to the shooter, the point man stayed in the hallway to deal with the women. Simply not true because no SEAL I know would have dropped the cover on the male in the room that he had just shot at. The shooter now claims that he enters the room and looks at UBL and shoots him twice in the face as UBL was going for his gun. There was NO WEAPON found in UBLs room until about 5 min into the search and was found above the door on a shelf. Again, this has never been disputed by anybody, so if the shooter was so sure he was going for his gun….how could he see it??? His story is complete bull **** and he is covering his *** for the WHY he would have shot UBL at this point. IF the shooter is correct and is looking at an unarmed UBL, according to the ROE’s he should have simply detained UBL. NOT shot him in the head.
The shooter goes on to explain that he shot him twice in the head,,,,why did he do this when we discussed before the OP not to shoot him in the head for identification purposes. The FACT is that the point man DID connect and hit UBL in the head. The head shot was the ONLY thing that presented a target for the point man to shoot at….so thats what he shot at!!!! The point man, after shooting at the mans head,,,entered the room….saw that UBL was no longer a threat and then pushed the women back. The shooter was the 3 man into the room, and he just re-engaged into the body laying on the floor.
I’ve seen an article from Berghain (an author that actually was at the compound after the raid) He talks about blood splatter on the ceiling. While I don’t think that he is a CSI crime scene investigator he’s made comments that he thinks the blood splatter backs up the shooters story. Well the shooter is approx 6’4″ and UBL was approx the same height. That would mean the shots were level and not aimed up. The REAL shooter and point man is about 5’5″ and was shooting up the stairs toward the head exposed through the doorway. That would create the angle that is needed to splatter blood on the ceiling.

Everybody within JSOC knows the shooter is full of it. Shortly after the raid he was FIRED from DEVGRU because of his mouth and talking too much. This is something that is not told in the article either.. He’s the stereotypical guy who was running around at the bar telling all the chicks that he was the shooter. While indeed he did shoot, he shot the body as it was 99.9% dead and dying on the floor. The POINT MAN up the stairs landed his shots to the head, which is why he changed his focus to the women.

Interesting. Sorry to rain on your parade Phil but your guy is not the actual shooter.

Read more: http://sofrep.com/18453/esquire-is-screwed-duped-by-seal-ubl-shooter/#ixzz2OZZnUQtK

TheHumanAlphabet
3/25/2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks Sapp, I figured there was more to this...

diverdog
3/25/2013, 12:52 PM
Hmmm

Ok time for the truth. I, diverdog, shot that mother***er and then proceeded to get real medievel with his ***. First two shots were in the knee caps. Dropped right in front of me. Then I grabbed my hammer and busted up his balls. All the time I am yelling "you low life piece of ****. You dragged me out into th middle of bum **** Egypt" (he mumbles Pakistan) and I am like "oh so you are wise cracking know it all". and that is when I yanked out his tongue with my trusty leatherman....made in America. At this point I am like oh yeah the party is ON. That is when I called in my bros and say "who wants to put a cap in this guys ***?". So my bros decided to go all Tony Soprano and beat his azz with bats and ****. Then the little weezle goes please don't shoot me in the face. I was like what did you say mfer? You ain't Big Puss. Boom a bullet right through the eye. My homies followed suit with 20 more rounds. You know that little prick was still alive. That is when I propped him up and showed him the squeel like a pig scene from Deliverence and told him he was gonna be azzed raped for eternity cause I was gonna choke him out with chitlins. And dats da truthf jack.

One4OU
3/25/2013, 01:47 PM
I was in the Navy and I dont think anyone goes into the Navy as a Seal. They volunteer to do so regardless if they are rated as a payroll clerk, band member, or a firefighter. You have to apply and be accepted. If that is wrong please correct me.

Also when you get out you are required to see the career counselor and anyone who has been in 16 years knows what thy are giving up if you leave on your own accord. Also if you have injuries or health issues due to service related issues you can seek disability pay.

The armed forces is not a job finder. Just because you served your country does not guarantee you a job once you are out. There are military hiring tax credits for companies to take to help those in the military but to each his own. When you are out you are out.