PDA

View Full Version : Jerrry Montgomery: The new DT coach?

OU_Sooners75
2/23/2013, 01:59 PM
Rumors have it that Jerry Montgomery is pondering the choice. Stay at Michigan or come to OU.

If he came to OU, it would be a homerun hire!

Ruf/Nek7
2/23/2013, 02:53 PM
I am hearing the same and I feel the same about the hire if it comes into fruition. I really hope we land this guy and start seeing a huge change in DT recruiting.

sooner KB
2/23/2013, 02:58 PM
Two separate coaches for DT's and DE's huh? Interesting.

Collier11
2/23/2013, 03:08 PM
1 Oline coach and split up the Dline coaches, how does that work in a 3-4 where a lot of our DEs will become pseudo LBers?

Salt City Sooner
2/23/2013, 03:41 PM
Michigan's Scout site saying it's a go:

http://michigan.scout.com/2/1269030.html

Ruf/Nek7
2/23/2013, 04:27 PM
1 Oline coach and split up the Dline coaches, how does that work in a 3-4 where a lot of our DEs will become pseudo LBers?

If we get really technical, the 3-4 still has d ends they just slide down into a lower technique. My thing is, and I may be wrong but I've watched Michigan game film, this d lineman coach is from a team that runs a 4-3. Was he at Michigan when they ran the 3-3-5?

swardboy
2/23/2013, 04:48 PM
Man, serious changes in line coaching on both sides of the ball. This is one heck of an offseason.

Salt City Sooner
2/23/2013, 05:00 PM
If we get really technical, the 3-4 still has d ends they just slide down into a lower technique. My thing is, and I may be wrong but I've watched Michigan game film, this d lineman coach is from a team that runs a 4-3. Was he at Michigan when they ran the 3-3-5?
No. He came to UM in '11.

ashley
2/23/2013, 05:30 PM
Two separate coaches for DT's and DE's huh? Interesting.

Very common at all levels.

Ruf/Nek7
2/23/2013, 05:36 PM
No. He came to UM in '11.

Well shoot, even better!

SoonerInFortSmith
2/23/2013, 05:47 PM

If the Sooners are gonna run a true 3-4 there will probably be one coach for the three down line positions, one for outside linebackers, and one for inside linebackers.

cleller
2/23/2013, 05:49 PM
The Oklahoman reporting this, too.
http://newsok.com/jerry-montgomery-reportedly-joins-ou-staff-as-defensive-line-coach/article/3758583

I know nothing about the guy, but some smart Soonerfans posters seem high on him. Gotta go research.

8timechamps
2/23/2013, 06:01 PM
Excellent hire!

Montgomery is already recruiting for the Sooners, and could end up being the best assistant Stoops has brought in to the program.

If you're not familiar with Coach Montgomery, he's an amazing recruiter (already landed 3 2014 Michigan commits), and can definitely recruit the DT position. He's a young guy (33) with lots of energy and fire.

This is about the best, young D-line hire that Stoops could have made.

cherokeebrewer
2/23/2013, 06:24 PM
This is about the best, young D-line hire that Stoops could have made.

I agree with this...excellent! Who's next? Maybe Jamie Christian for TE & ST Coach...

8timechamps
2/23/2013, 08:56 PM
I agree with this...excellent! Who's next? Maybe Jamie Christian for TE & ST Coach...

I kept hearing Seth Litrell's name being mentioned, but that's cooled off lately. I'm sure someone is close, with spring ball right around the corner.

This staff is really shaping up, I'm excited!

soonerfan69
2/23/2013, 09:42 PM
If the Sooners are gonna run a true 3-4 there will probably be one coach for the three down line positions, one for outside linebackers, and one for inside linebackers.

And who are going to be the LB's

stoopified
2/23/2013, 10:59 PM
NewsOk.com and KOKH both reporting Montgomery as a done deal.

SoonerInFortSmith
2/23/2013, 11:31 PM

And who are going to be the LB's

The outside linebackers will probably mostly be the young defensive ends that are too light to play a 3 or 4 technique. Generically speaking, 3-4 OLBs and 4-3 DEs are somewhat interchangeable. For example Demarcus Ware was a 4-3 DE in college. And even though Ronnell Lewis and Frank Alexander were listed as DEs they played a lot from a two point stance in a position very similar to OLB.

SoonerInFortSmith
2/23/2013, 11:36 PM
Favors, Grissom, Ndulue, Onuoha for example.

blacktop
2/23/2013, 11:43 PM
This is great news. I still think BS said it best when he talked about OUr lack of talent. We have the coaches, the facilities, the resume, and the history. It was the talent we were missing. To get talent you must recruit. To get the talent you have to do more than talk the talk. I hand it to Bob. He let go of friends & went & got RECRUITERS. I look for an uptick in our level of talent. Welcome Jerry - now get to work & feed the monster!

Widescreen
2/23/2013, 11:54 PM
When did Bob say we lacked talent? The last time I remember him mentioning talent was when he was disagreeing with Switzer on that topic.

picasso
2/23/2013, 11:59 PM
I think he was talking about on the message boards. I have to agree with him.

blacktop
2/24/2013, 01:26 AM
I'm sorry BS is Barry not Bob. I think it was after the Kansas State game that Barry made his statement.

LHSooner
2/24/2013, 09:06 AM
I hand it to Bob. He let go of friends & went & got RECRUITERS. I look for an uptick in our level of talent. Welcome Jerry - now get to work & feed the monster!
I just hope he doesn't go the full Mack and get a bunch of great recruiters who are terrible COACHES.

cherokeebrewer
2/24/2013, 10:59 AM
I kept hearing Seth Litrell's name being mentioned, but that's cooled off lately. I'm sure someone is close, with spring ball right around the corner.

This staff is really shaping up, I'm excited!

Seth Littrell would be great, but I doubt he leaves Indiana OC job for TE/ST's at OU unless he just wants to get back to Norman & the Sooners. Jamie Christian is coaching down in Houston now. He has a super good resume and I feel fairly sure he would take the job if offered.

kevpks
2/24/2013, 12:10 PM
Seth Littrell would be great, but I doubt he leaves Indiana OC job for TE/ST's at OU unless he just wants to get back to Norman & the Sooners. Jamie Christian is coaching down in Houston now. He has a super good resume and I feel fairly sure he would take the job if offered.

I haven't been following this closely but Christian is actually the only name I've heard mentioned on the radio. If he has good recruiting relationships down there, that would be nice.

C&CDean
2/24/2013, 01:07 PM
OU hasn't lacked talent. They've lacked brains.

Breadburner
2/24/2013, 01:12 PM
and leadership on the field.....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/24/2013, 01:22 PM
I just hope he doesn't go the full Mack and get a bunch of great recruiters who are terrible COACHES.Not entirely sure the cows' coaches are great recruiters, since recruiting at tx isn't so difficult. Much like the usuc deal.

Widescreen
2/24/2013, 07:52 PM
Yes, we have lacked talent at certain positions. It's pretty bad right now at LB especially.

goingoneight
2/25/2013, 01:09 PM
Shipp and Patton did fine recruiting... but development REALLY slipped the last few years. If you told Nick Saban he'd have RJ Washington, Jamarkus McFarland and Stacy McGee circa February 2008, he'd probably see that as an excellent group to work with as all three were very highly thought of coming out of HS. For whatever reason, our presence up front has hurt us the most when it mattered the last few years.

thecrimsoncrusader
2/25/2013, 01:56 PM
Washington, McFarland and McGee just flat out weren't good and that didn't come down to coaching. Regardless of that, it was time for Shipp to go. Of course, after Jordan Phillips draws double teams next season and fixes OU's up front issues, that will be questioned I am sure, but not having a worthwhile DT in 2010, 2011 and 2012 validated Shipp's termination. Phillips should have started this past season.

MyT Oklahoma
2/25/2013, 02:11 PM
All kidding aside this is so cool.

Now let's git it done.

Tear Down This Wall
2/25/2013, 03:35 PM
Well, we're keeping up with Texas in hiring assistants no one else would want. I can only suppose that after so many years, Mack and Bob simply don't want any type of push back.

Texas went from hiring a "head coach in waiting" at defensive coordinator to a defensive coordinator who could leave tomorrow for all anyone down there cares. They've completely punting at offensive coordinator.

We've done the same. We've got an OL coach with not much of a resume, and a DL coach with an even shorter resume. We ought to be able to make better hires than these. We've replaced experienced coaches for gambles.

KantoSooner
2/25/2013, 05:09 PM
Well, if you'd wanted tried and true, we should have brought in Charlie Strong about 2 years ago with a deal that he would be made head coach at the end of five seasons.
But we didn't do that.
C'mon TDTW, in both these new hires' cases, the early rumors were that they were too highly thought of to leave their current jobs. And althought WV might not be famous, Michigan is certainly a time honored program if in a trough right now.

EatLeadCommie
2/25/2013, 05:50 PM
Well, we're keeping up with Texas in hiring assistants no one else would want. I can only suppose that after so many years, Mack and Bob simply don't want any type of push back.

Texas went from hiring a "head coach in waiting" at defensive coordinator to a defensive coordinator who could leave tomorrow for all anyone down there cares. They've completely punting at offensive coordinator.

We've done the same. We've got an OL coach with not much of a resume, and a DL coach with an even shorter resume. We ought to be able to make better hires than these. We've replaced experienced coaches for gambles.

Wow, such a Negative Nancy...

Texas brought on board Manny Diaz and Harsin, both of whom were very hot commodities and hardly "assistants no one else would want." We have gone out and hired two guys known as recruiters and motivators. Patton's OLs were soft so a change had to be made there. Obviously, Shipp had slipped. I'm not sure who you would've liked better, but we hardly whiffed in getting replacements.

C&CDean
2/25/2013, 06:04 PM
Wow, such a Negative Nancy...

Texas brought on board Manny Diaz and Harsin, both of whom were very hot commodities and hardly "assistants no one else would want." We have gone out and hired two guys known as recruiters and motivators. Patton's OLs were soft so a change had to be made there. Obviously, Shipp had slipped. I'm not sure who you would've liked better, but we hardly whiffed in getting replacements.

Pay no attention to TDTW. He's a miserable cuss.

Scott D
2/25/2013, 07:41 PM
I'll say this about Montgomery. He turned Mike Martin from an average DT into a pretty good one.

8timechamps
2/25/2013, 08:06 PM

It seems strange, because I'm not sold that he would leave Indiana either...but, in one of the first interviews Bedenbaugh did (after being hired), he mentioned his great friendship with Littrell as one of the reason he chose to come to OU. He could just mean that Littrell sold him on the move, or he could know that Littrell will be on staff. Guess we'll see.

Ruf/Nek7
2/25/2013, 08:56 PM
Talked with one of my fellow coaches today about Montgomery (he is an avid Michigan fan) and he had nothing but good things to say about him. The more and more I hear about this guy, the more and more I get excited to see what he brings to the table.

cherokeebrewer
2/26/2013, 12:05 PM
It seems strange, because I'm not sold that he would leave Indiana either...but, in one of the first interviews Bedenbaugh did (after being hired), he mentioned his great friendship with Littrell as one of the reason he chose to come to OU. He could just mean that Littrell sold him on the move, or he could know that Littrell will be on staff. Guess we'll see.

Oh I would take Seth Littrell in a heartbeat. I think him or Jamie Christian would be good. James Hale (I know..I know) mentioned Derek Lewis, currently at Florida, as a candidate. I don't know much about him other than he played for the horns and is from Louisiana.

8timechamps
2/26/2013, 03:59 PM
Oh I would take Seth Littrell in a heartbeat. I think him or Jamie Christian would be good. James Hale (I know..I know) mentioned Derek Lewis, currently at Florida, as a candidate. I don't know much about him other than he played for the horns and is from Louisiana.

I'm hearing a lot about Derek Lewis too. He makes a lot of sense, as Stoops could give him a pay raise without going crazy. He's from the region, so that would be another plus.

Christian seems to be the other guy, and his strength is in recruiting northern California. Seems like we have a lot of guys on staff that already recruit Cali, so that makes me think Lewis is in the lead.

No word on Littrell, so I think that was just a passing rumor.

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 08:21 PM
Montgomery got the whole DL.

I wonder where that puts BJW; helping Mike in the secondary, more special teams?

sooner KB
2/27/2013, 09:05 AM

I wonder where that puts BJW; helping Mike in the secondary, more special teams?

Exclusively special teams would be nice.

cherokeebrewer
2/27/2013, 01:44 PM
Good article on Coach Montgomery...He already got that "At the end of the day" phrase down, so there's that. Seriously, he does seem like a great recruiter, plus a nice guy.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1477350&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

8timechamps
2/27/2013, 04:44 PM

Just learned that BJW will be moving back to the secondary. Which makes sense to me.

Sooners78
2/28/2013, 02:06 PM
I'll say this about Montgomery. He turned Mike Martin from an average DT into a pretty good one.

The same thing was being said about Patton when he came on board from Northwestern. Supposedly, Patton had a great track record of putting Wildcat linemen (which had very average teams during that period) in the NFL.

8timechamps
2/28/2013, 05:18 PM
The same thing was being said about Patton when he came on board from Northwestern. Supposedly, Patton had a great track record of putting Wildcat linemen (which had very average teams during that period) in the NFL.

I think Patton was an above average coach. He just wasn't much of a recruiter. If you want to win championships, you have to be above average at both.