PDA

View Full Version : LON

birddog
2/21/2013, 08:35 PM
that guy is intelligent and talks like an old high school coach out of Indiana. He is doing a great job here with these kids and I'm proud to have him as our coach at OU.
this is goin to be a fun decade if LON sticks around. kinda nice to have a classy coach that doesnt recruit lazy players.

OkieThunderLion
2/21/2013, 08:49 PM
He's made basketball season interesting again. That's all I ask for!

8timechamps
2/21/2013, 09:05 PM
Coaching is the biggest difference between basketball and football. Lon is an 'old school' coach, and his methods work as well today as they did 20 years ago. What Lon is really good at is getting his message across to young men. They have bought into his plan, and it really shows.

I'll admit, I wasn't excited by Joe C's selection of Lon, but I love the guy now. Great hire.

Soonerjeepman
2/21/2013, 10:06 PM
I went to ksu (home state school...cheaper) for a few yrs, and then was back in Manhattan while Coach K was at ksu...worked with his wife at their kids' school. She was a very nice down to earth lady. He was a small town kid and it shows. I knew he'd be a good inbetween..(not sure how long he'll be here...he's in his 60's)...this prob is his last gig I'd say.

Sooners are playing well...like a TEAM and it proves the sum is greater than the whole, unless the other whole is better! lol.

Collier11
2/21/2013, 10:25 PM
If we can get 5-7 years out of Lon, we will have 5-7 years of the NCAA tourney with 1 or 2 long runs mixed in. Whoever gets to take his place will be set up pretty sweet Id say...look what he did with Vegas and look how good they still are

Soonerjeepman
2/21/2013, 11:26 PM
agreed...this Sat I'm going to go watch the 6'10 center we signed...interested to see how he moves...

Collier11
2/22/2013, 12:39 AM
give us an update please, always interested in future Sooner talent

Soonerjeepman
2/22/2013, 04:09 PM
ok

8timechamps
2/23/2013, 08:54 PM
agreed...this Sat I'm going to go watch the 6'10 center we signed...interested to see how he moves...

Yes, give us an update. I'm anxious to hear how he looks in person.

birddog
2/24/2013, 03:43 PM
looks like, with all things being equal and whatnot that we're a lock for the tourney. gonna be nice to post the brackets at the ristorante bbq dive in michigan. i might even have us upsettin someone based solely on LON. yes, i do ask that we emphasize LON because he's brought calvin ball sense of "you gotta be blue collar but at the same time actually put the ball thru the peach basket mindset" to our team. we may NEVER win a real nc but atleast we won't look unprepared thanks to our depth.

Collier11
2/24/2013, 04:14 PM
I think we would have to lose out and then drop the 1st rd Big 12 Tourney game and that would put us on the Bubble, I think we are a lock needless to say and now we are fighting to seed somewhere between 6-10 I would say

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2013, 06:07 PM
posted MY take on the 6'10 kid...not a stellar performance.

cleller
3/20/2013, 07:24 PM
I'm not a basketball follower, but from listening to the Sports Animal, the guys there seem to always be talking about what a great coach Kruger is, and seem not nearly as impressed with Travis Ford. That seem pretty accurate way of viewing the two coaches?

If Kruger were at OSU would that team be a more of a contender?

Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject, but in March everyone gets curious.

Eielson
3/20/2013, 08:05 PM
I'm not as amazed with Lon as others, but he's way better than Ford.

8timechamps
3/20/2013, 08:28 PM
I'm not a basketball follower, but from listening to the Sports Animal, the guys there seem to always be talking about what a great coach Kruger is, and seem not nearly as impressed with Travis Ford. That seem pretty accurate way of viewing the two coaches?

If Kruger were at OSU would that team be a more of a contender?

Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject, but in March everyone gets curious.

Interesting question.

I think OU has the better overall talent, but that is a biased opinion.

That's kind of a trick question cleller!

Collier11
3/20/2013, 09:50 PM
Interesting question.

You are WAYYYYY OFF on that statement, OSU has top 10 talent all over the court

Lon has proven that his game management isn't always the best, but he is a great program builder and one of the best at gaining buy-in from a team

cleller
3/21/2013, 08:56 AM
Interesting question.

!

Oh. I thought it was probably the opposite, with OSU having the talent, but not the coach; OU at least possibly having the coach but not the talent. Like I said, though, I know nothing about basketball.

This Smart guy (proper noun, not adjective) gets alot of talk, so I thought OSU must be able to score some players.

When I see the two coaches, both look like nice, and intelligent guys. Kruger also looks like a guy that could have eaten a steak dinner with John Wayne and John Ford, while Travis Ford looks like he'd be more comfortable having salad and pasta with Doris Day.

Eielson
3/21/2013, 01:52 PM
I'd probably give OSU the talent edge. We don't have the top 5 recruits like Nash and Smart.

kevpks
3/21/2013, 02:26 PM
I'd probably give OSU the talent edge. We don't have the top 5 recruits like Nash and Smart.

True. I'll take four year guys like Hornbeak and Hield over them. They could dominate this league as juniors and seniors. Don't get me wrong, I'd like an occasional Blake Griffin too. NBA talent is never a bad thing.

8timechamps
3/21/2013, 02:57 PM
Oh. I thought it was probably the opposite, with OSU having the talent, but not the coach; OU at least possibly having the coach but not the talent. Like I said, though, I know nothing about basketball.

This Smart guy (proper noun, not adjective) gets alot of talk, so I thought OSU must be able to score some players.

When I see the two coaches, both look like nice, and intelligent guys. Kruger also looks like a guy that could have eaten a steak dinner with John Wayne and John Ford, while Travis Ford looks like he'd be more comfortable having salad and pasta with Doris Day.

As mentioned above, it probably is. But, I'm extremely biased, and think the overall talent is better at OU. OSU has had the better (or higher rated) recruits, so there is certainly an argument to be made there.

Socrefbek
3/24/2013, 04:21 PM
I like the direction the team is going. Disappointing end to the season though. OU wins against TCU like they should have and they get a better matchup in the tourney and at least get a win or two. Ending with three straight L's is a let down.

Soonerjeepman
3/24/2013, 06:11 PM
agreed....I think Lon is a good coach, he obviously has the record to prove it. Although all his stops have been at non-traditional basketball powers, not the ku, unc, duke, indiana, ucla, etc. I wouldn't call him a GREAT coach.

We'll see how he does next yr and after. He's like Sampson in the fact he never had star recruits but did a pretty good job coaching them up. He's an honorable guy, doesn't buy into the bs of recruiting now-a-days, a great representative for the university. Honestly I'm guessing THAT was just as important or more than being a great coach. After our issues with KS and Crapel, Joe C wanted a "good guy" coach.

Our recruits are 6', 6'3, 6'10 (not a real power post guy)...I think Buddy will blossom, interested to about Sprangler.

Should be an interesting yr.

SoonerMom2
3/24/2013, 08:56 PM
OSU also had the flopper in chief this year Marcus Smart who a lot of players didn't like because he got calls from the refs with his flopping. Talent but not a hard worker. Give me a Romero Osby any day of the week who is a hard worker and a leader. You don't have to worry about him giving his all.

CowboyMRW
3/25/2013, 09:33 AM
OSU also had the flopper in chief this year Marcus Smart who a lot of players didn't like because he got calls from the refs with his flopping. Talent but not a hard worker. Give me a Romero Osby any day of the week who is a hard worker and a leader. You don't have to worry about him giving his all.

This might be the dumbest thing I've read since the "Zac Robinson vs. Sam Bradford" debates on OP. Not a hard worker? Do you even follow college basketball? You should probably read what Mark Few and Billy Donovan said about Smart after the U18 World Championships. The guy was responsible for 8 more wins than last year alone. He is more than likely going to be a Top 5 pick if he decides to come out this year. Led the conference in steals as a freshman.

Interesting question.

Just so we're on the same page. You're saying that

Hield > Smart
Pledger > Brown
Hornbeak > Nash
M'Baye > Cobbins
Osby > Jurick

I'll definitely give you Osby over Jurick. I have a very, very hard time giving you anyone else.

Markel was 2nd team All Big 12.
Nash was 3rd team. (He destroyed OU btw)
Cobbins was 1st team All Big 12 defense.
Smart was POTY, Wayman Tisdale Award Winner (NFOTY), All Big 12 defense. He did it all for us.

badger
3/25/2013, 09:47 AM
This might be the dumbest thing I've read since the "Zac Robinson vs. Sam Bradford" debates on OP.
ROFL. That must have been fun --- Zac wouldn't have landed short of the goalline while spinning into the endzone! Zac would have led UO to the national title and not just the national title game! Zac would have gotten more Heismans because Zac wouldn't have fallen funny in the BYU game!

I agree that Marcus is more talented, but I think us silly Gooners love Romero for his leadership. I would be a have Poke hater if Marcus left for the NBA. Travis haters would probably be happy too. Then they can start proposing this guy (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?The_Supermodel_and_The_Coach/15-19587) for their next coach.

CowboyMRW
3/25/2013, 09:59 AM
ROFL. That must have been fun --- Zac wouldn't have landed short of the goalline while spinning into the endzone! Zac would have led UO to the national title and not just the national title game! Zac would have gotten more Heismans because Zac wouldn't have fallen funny in the BYU game!

I agree that Marcus is more talented, but I think us silly Gooners love Romero for his leadership. I would be a have Poke hater if Marcus left for the NBA. Travis haters would probably be happy too. Then they can start proposing this guy (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?The_Supermodel_and_The_Coach/15-19587) for their next coach.

I get that, but I don't know how you can say Marcus wasn't a leader. He came in and changed our culture as a freshman. Like I said, Few and Donovan had very, very high praise for him for his leadership and willingness to do whatever it took to get the win.

badger
3/25/2013, 10:05 AM
I get that, but I don't know how you can say Marcus wasn't a leader. He came in and changed our culture as a freshman. Like I said, Few and Donovan had very, very high praise for him for his leadership and willingness to do whatever it took to get the win.
He brought fans and wins in, but you guys played like the same ol' Pokes for many games like last year. When we beat you in Norman it REEKED of the 2012 game... in a very, very positive way for Sooners :stunned:

Cinco Ranch Cougar
3/25/2013, 01:14 PM
I am very pleased with Lon as our coach. The improvement in attitude, intensity, fundamentals, shooting, team work has been significant and I see great things ahead for the Sooners BBallers.
I was disappointed in our season ending penchant for blowing leads in all of the games we lost but I am confident our Coach "K" will get that in order.
Even though I live in Katy Texas I have several Kansas friends who are fans of both KU and KState and all are very high on Lon and quite frankly they think he will eventually end up back at K State. But even so, he will have a good run here.

Cinco Ranch Cougar
3/25/2013, 01:19 PM
KS was a very good coach but lacked the desire to play by the rules so to speak. His coaching ability really became apparent to me when came to the Houston Rockets as McHale's assistant and took over when McHale was on family leave. He did a great job with the Rockets and the consistent opinion is that he will be a head coach in the NBA next year.
Maybe the NBA is a better fit for KS.

Soonerjeepman
3/25/2013, 03:55 PM
I always like KS...his coaching style anyways. I just thought he had a complete brainfart with the calls considering he was president of that committee. Then to do it AGAIN at Indiana.

I honestly doubt Coach K will end up back at ksu. He's 61 I'd say OU is his last stop. Be here for 5 - 7 yrs, retire...hand over the reigns to Henson..unless HE goes to ksu.

CowboyMRW
3/27/2013, 12:21 PM
M'Baye is entering the draft.

badger
3/27/2013, 12:23 PM
M'Baye is entering the draft.

well sh!t the poker got the news before the rest of us, but he's right. (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032713aaa.html)

CowboyMRW
3/27/2013, 01:23 PM
well sh!t the poker got the news before the rest of us, but he's right. (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032713aaa.html)

Anything that gives my team an advantage :playful:

birddog
4/9/2013, 04:46 PM
Waiti til LON brings in a few more guys over the next 3 yrs. got a great feeling we"ll be feeling quite boss about the players and the program.