PDA

View Full Version : Three Sooners kicked off the team.

SOONER44EVER
2/18/2013, 12:51 AM
http://www.news9.com/story/21230161/reports-three-ou-football-players-kicked-off-team

colleyvillesooner
2/18/2013, 12:56 AM
Boy this offseason is just full of win!

nighttrain12
2/18/2013, 01:01 AM
Just curious, do players who are kicked off the football team lose their scholarship? What if they claim they were wrongly removed from the team, can they appeal to the University?

picasso
2/18/2013, 01:10 AM
Coaches liked Simon. I recall he had a serious vertical leap. Ah well.

picasso
2/18/2013, 01:11 AM
Just curious, do players who are kicked off the football team lose their scholarship? What if they claim they were wrongly removed from the team, can they appeal to the University?
I think they are forced to stare at big grandma boobs all day.

Sooner91ATL
2/18/2013, 04:53 AM
I think they are forced to stare at big grandma boobs all day.

honestly there are far worse punishments.

:chuncky:

stoopified
2/18/2013, 07:19 AM
honestly there are far worse punishments.

:chuncky:Could be worse;could be forced to look at grandpa boobs. :)

badger
2/18/2013, 09:16 AM
How soon till we get a postseason ban a la UConn basketball for having such an attrocious grad rate... because I assume all of these booted players will count against us

rdusooner
2/18/2013, 09:24 AM
So where does that put our DT numbers for the spring?

Ruf/Nek7
2/18/2013, 09:25 AM
How soon till we get a postseason ban a la UConn basketball for having such an attrocious grad rate... because I assume all of these booted players will count against us

They most definitely will. Man, this has become routine for OU now but wait Bob NEVER punishes his players. Not like Mack. Simon is the only one that gets to me.

C&CDean
2/18/2013, 09:34 AM
Looks to me like Bob is actually going after the SOURCE of OU's problems. Good on him.

Soonerjeepman
2/18/2013, 10:21 AM
my question is how does kentucky bball not get hammered...whether they are kicked off or leave on their own (one and done) It was my understanding they count against your school...even if they transfer and eventually graduate.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/18/2013, 10:24 AM
One article says removed from team, one says leave the team..Wonder what the story is.

Bob and Mike have both been all about Simon and Marquis Anderson would have been a bigger contributor this season..

OkieThunderLion
2/18/2013, 10:29 AM

Scholarships are year to year anyway. A coach can remove them if he wants. Most won't w/o good reason. But some do if the player simply isn't good enough.

KantoSooner
2/18/2013, 11:15 AM

somewhere close to zero.

badger
2/18/2013, 11:40 AM

According to this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130218_92_0_NORMAN689799), these player departures means that OU has 3 scholarship DTs and 4 scholarship CBs in spring.

Once again, THREE defensive tackles and FOUR cornerbacks.

HELP. Juco, transfers, Superman, anybody!

TheHumanAlphabet
2/18/2013, 11:47 AM
So why did they go buh-bye??? Any one care to weigh in? Drugs?

blacktop
2/18/2013, 11:56 AM
Are Williams & Anderson upset that Shipp has shipped?

Soonerfan88
2/18/2013, 11:57 AM
Because they can't seem to remember to go to class and probably don't do much if they get there.

badger
2/18/2013, 12:12 PM
So why did they go buh-bye??? Any one care to weigh in? Drugs?

As soon as a reason is reported anywhere, it'll be less than speculation. At this point, the usual culprits are off-field issues if the coaches gave them the boot (class attendance, grades, drugs and other police-related issues) or playing time if it's the players that decided to leave.

Was it the coaching changes? I doubt it. We've had coaches leave before without the players bolting too. After all the players have to sit out a year, whereas the coaches don't

yermom
2/18/2013, 01:15 PM
coaches sitting out a year. i like it.

jkjsooner
2/18/2013, 01:58 PM

Scholarships are renewed each year. They did attempt to introduce an optional four year scholarship last year but I don't think it passed.

I think the NCAA should allow a four year guaranteed scholarship in addition to the normal renewable one year scholarship. That way a kid could weigh his options and take whatever the best option is for himself. Given, kids at that age often have a higher opinion of themselves than they probably should and might just assume that their scholarship could never be revoked.

But you do bring up a good point. If and when they do go to a four year scholarship model the NCAA would have to get involved to make sure situations like this wouldn't be overused to free up scholarships from underperforming players. I'd guess teh NCAA would require that a school publish its rules on how a scholarship can be revoked and require the school to report any and all violations and administer this rule consistently.

PalmBeachSooner
2/18/2013, 02:14 PM
coaches sitting out a year. i like it.

Bedenbaugh has to sit out two years 'cause he transferred within the same conference.

cherokeebrewer
2/18/2013, 02:16 PM
Are Williams & Anderson upset that Shipp has shipped?

I almost hate to say it because I really like Jackie Shipp, but this stuff and our lack of quality numbers at DT is likely one of the reasons why he's gone...

sooner KB
2/18/2013, 03:43 PM
So who starts at corner now other than Colvin?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/18/2013, 04:23 PM
According to this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130218_92_0_NORMAN689799), these player departures means that OU has 3 scholarship DTs and 4 scholarship CBs in spring.

Once again, THREE defensive tackles and FOUR cornerbacks.

HELP. Juco, transfers, Superman, anybody!

Heh, Mike has always ran corner at razor thin margins. In his previous tenure it was because all of his projected corners ended up at safety.

KantoSooner
2/18/2013, 04:32 PM
I wonder if somewhere, Mr. Manning is starting to realize that, in all liklihood, he would have started every year he was at OU.

CobraKai
2/18/2013, 04:47 PM
I wonder if somewhere, Mr. Manning is starting to realize that, in all liklihood, he would have started every year he was at OU.

None of that matters. We didn't show him enough love. That is all that's important.

SoonerorLater
2/18/2013, 05:42 PM
This is getting old real fast.

KantoSooner
2/18/2013, 05:44 PM
None of that matters. We didn't show him enough love. That is all that's important.

I must admit to chuckling at the idea of a DT getting his feelers hurt.

starclassic tama
2/18/2013, 05:48 PM
This is getting old real fast.

better get used to it, the same thing happens at every program in the country. alabama just lost several good young players due to robbery etc.

8timechamps
2/18/2013, 06:00 PM
So who starts at corner now other than Colvin?

Incoming freshman Stanvon Taylor is my guess.

8timechamps
2/18/2013, 06:06 PM
Here's the current DT situation:

Jordan Wade
Jordan Phillips - Possible academic issues.
Torrea Peterson - Possible academic issues.

Both Phillips and Peterson have had academic issues. Hopefully those are in the past.

Incoming DTs:

Kerrick Huggins - Academic concerns (working to complete requirements)
Quincy Russell - Academic concerns (issues surround credits transferring from JUCO)
Charles Walker
Matthew Romar

So, OU will have 7 DTs on the roster for the fall, but only 3 in the spring. That's assuming everyone meets their academic needs/issues. As much as I love Shipp as a former player/coach, I think it's clear why he was let go.

goingoneight
2/18/2013, 06:39 PM
People talk all the time about how they think Bob has lost his fire after several years, but no losing seasons and a solid winning percentage pretty much kills that idea. However, I think that there is something to be said for assistants who get stale on the sideline after awhile. From everything reported to everything I'm hearing, that's why Shipp and Patton were let go. Kittle was let go supposedly because the heir apparent (Bedenbaugh) works alone with the OL. That and Kittle just didn't do anything that justified keeping him here, obviously. If he had a full cupboard of Jermaine Gresham, Joe Jon Finley and Trent Smith, then I could see them giving him a chance to remain as TE/FB coach.

As for DT, they'll have bodies even if it means plugging in walkons in the Spring. You never know what that might bring. OU's had some great success stories due to openings on the depth chart filled by walkons before. Dominique Whaley showed that not all of the guys on the scout team are bums.

We need a Stoops in-home with some of OUr signees weekly, though. We can't afford to have Russell, Huggins and Phillips end up Gardner Latu-ing their way out of Norman. Fact is we're not going to be good this year at DT. But you can't rebuild the situation on the DL without players to do so.

8timechamps
2/18/2013, 06:48 PM
People talk all the time about how they think Bob has lost his fire after several years, but no losing seasons and a solid winning percentage pretty much kills that idea. However, I think that there is something to be said for assistants who get stale on the sideline after awhile. From everything reported to everything I'm hearing, that's why Shipp and Patton were let go. Kittle was let go supposedly because the heir apparent (Bedenbaugh) works alone with the OL. That and Kittle just didn't do anything that justified keeping him here, obviously. If he had a full cupboard of Jermaine Gresham, Joe Jon Finley and Trent Smith, then I could see them giving him a chance to remain as TE/FB coach.

As for DT, they'll have bodies even if it means plugging in walkons in the Spring. You never know what that might bring. OU's had some great success stories due to openings on the depth chart filled by walkons before. Dominique Whaley showed that not all of the guys on the scout team are bums.

We need a Stoops in-home with some of OUr signees weekly, though. We can't afford to have Russell, Huggins and Phillips end up Gardner Latu-ing their way out of Norman. Fact is we're not going to be good this year at DT. But you can't rebuild the situation on the DL without players to do so.

Agree with everything you said.

Priority one is to get everyone to campus and/or eligible. If that happens, I think the DT position will be in about the same shape it was before the two players were removed. With the chance of someone becoming a really good player (Quincy Russell hopefully).

I also think you're right about the recent staff change. I've heard that a lot of the reason Shipp was let go was because he was coasting. That certainly showed up in play on the field and recruiting.

goingoneight
2/18/2013, 06:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Shipp was totally milking it... but the level of play after Gerald McCoy and Adrian Taylor left in 2009 has been awful and gotten worse each year at DT. A head coach would be willing to let it slide if guys like McFarland and McGee just weren't great players... but when it came time to restock and bring in the next generation, we obviously didn't get the top priority guys. A guy can have good intentions and his job performance can still slip. I see it all the time even in my own profession.

EatLeadCommie
2/18/2013, 07:09 PM
any chance in hell that this helps us with Toby Johnson? Probably not since we don't have a DL coach and just fired the guy who recruited him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/18/2013, 08:16 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Shipp was totally milking it... but the level of play after Gerald McCoy and Adrian Taylor left in 2009 has been awful and gotten worse each year at DT. A head coach would be willing to let it slide if guys like McFarland and McGee just weren't great players... but when it came time to restock and bring in the next generation, we obviously didn't get the top priority guys. A guy can have good intentions and his job performance can still slip. I see it all the time even in my own profession.

I don't know if Shipp was slacking off either. However, the proof was in the pudding -> Rob Deere recruiting just doesn't work. Both he and BV left us with less talent at their positions than when they started. They both managed some home runs to keep it going, but in the end, they struck out way too often.

trwxxa
2/18/2013, 08:17 PM

Or, sad to say, he sees this and realizes he made the right decision.....

tulsaoilerfan
2/18/2013, 09:31 PM
Man we need to recruit some kids that are not idiots, but unfortunately there is no way to project what 18-22 year old males will do when they get to college

TheUnnamedSooner
2/19/2013, 12:20 AM
Man we need to recruit some kids that are not idiots, but unfortunately there is no way to project what 18-22 year old males will do when they get to college

Smoke pot and get laid. Call me nostradamus.

birddog
2/24/2013, 03:48 PM
notredumbass. this isn't intramurals. it's the big 12!