PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 (or gaming console) headphones

8timechamps
2/17/2013, 08:55 PM
Question for those of you that are console gamers.

I force my kid to wear headphones when he plays his Xbox, and we are now on our third pair of headphones in just over a year and a half. Each time I've purchased new ones, I've gradually gone up in a price. The last pair were over $100. The name brand of these ****ty headphones is Turtle Beach. The latest pair to die were the Turtle Beach X32. I have no clue what's considered good in this product catagory, but Turtle Beach appears to be pure dog ****.

I was smart enough to buy a warranty (at Best Buy) this time around (it's typically a sucker's bet, but I thought this would happen again...). Anyway, can anyone tell me a decent brand to get? Something that won't die after 3 or 4 months of use. My kid only plays on the weekends, so it wasn't even really 3 or 4 months of use.

Any help would be much appreciated.

achiro
2/17/2013, 09:11 PM
I've had real good luck with tritton. They are similarly priced as the turtle beach but mine have lasted a lot longer than any of my friends turtle beaches. My son and I both got a set of the Tritton Warheads for Christmas and they are freaking awesome, not cheap, but awesome. I gave my old trittons to my sons friend and they are still going strong.

8timechamps
2/17/2013, 09:28 PM
I've had real good luck with tritton. They are similarly priced as the turtle beach but mine have lasted a lot longer than any of my friends turtle beaches. My son and I both got a set of the Tritton Warheads for Christmas and they are freaking awesome, not cheap, but awesome. I gave my old trittons to my sons friend and they are still going strong.

Thanks for the input achiro! I'll definitely check them out.

olevetonahill
2/17/2013, 11:47 PM
Watch and see if hes slamming em around when he takes em off and ****, You KNOW how gentle Boys are with stuff.

badger
2/18/2013, 12:47 PM
Any reason why you require headphones? Can't you just require him to turn the TV sound lower, shut the door, etc. if headphones keep breaking?

okiewaker
2/18/2013, 03:31 PM
If he plays with friends online he might like to chat with them as he plays, which you need headphones with a mic.

CowboyMRW
2/18/2013, 03:53 PM
What the hell is he doing to these headphones? I wear the TB XP500s when I play and I've had them ever since they came out like a year and a half ago and have never had a problem, but I also have a hook above my TV that I put them on when I'm not playing.

Not a huge fan of the Triton series because I couldn't program them like I can TBs but I doubt your kid is seriously into gaming that much.

CowboyMRW
2/18/2013, 03:55 PM
Question for those of you that are console gamers.

I force my kid to wear headphones when he plays his Xbox, and we are now on our third pair of headphones in just over a year and a half. Each time I've purchased new ones, I've gradually gone up in a price. The last pair were over $100. The name brand of these ****ty headphones is Turtle Beach. The latest pair to die were the Turtle Beach X32. I have no clue what's considered good in this product catagory, but Turtle Beach appears to be pure dog ****.

I was smart enough to buy a warranty (at Best Buy) this time around (it's typically a sucker's bet, but I thought this would happen again...). Anyway, can anyone tell me a decent brand to get? Something that won't die after 3 or 4 months of use. My kid only plays on the weekends, so it wasn't even really 3 or 4 months of use.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Did the 32s actually die or did they become unsynced and require you to go through the installation again?

okiewaker
2/18/2013, 04:31 PM
My sons Turtle Beach headphones broke where the earphones connect to the half moon frame. Kinda built cheaply. They still worked so I duct taped the two pieces together. We gonna go with the Triton next time,,heard they built better, sturdier, cause he's so rough on things.

tator
2/18/2013, 04:36 PM
Turtle Beach IS what's considered good for gaming headphones. That said, I don't use headphones. I don't want to talk to the kids that are killing me.

badger
2/18/2013, 04:54 PM
If he plays with friends online he might like to chat with them as he plays, which you need headphones with a mic.

i have a gamerscore of more than 11,000 on XBL, thank ya very much.

i was wondering what the big deal about requiring headphones was as there may be alternatives to cancel out noise for the rest of the household, especially if the headphones keep busting.

What the hell is he doing to these headphones? I wear the TB XP500s when I play and I've had them ever since they came out like a year and a half ago and have never had a problem, but I also have a hook above my TV that I put them on when I'm not playing.
While I agree that there must be a lot of "game over" headset throwing going on in theory, I've had Xbox stuff bust on me for no reason or stupid reasons... like baby or dogs getting ahold of controllers and then dropped/chewing them :mad:

8timechamps
2/18/2013, 06:32 PM
I'll wrap up all the questions in one response:

No, he doesn't throw his headphones as he knows that would result in red-*** syndrome. However, he doesn't treat them as well as he should, so that could certainly be part of the issue.

I require headphones because I don't want to hear his friends yelling. He also can't talk to his buddies if he doesn't have them. His Xbox setup is in the same room as my home PC and "family" TV, and I don't want him in another room playing for hours without any idea what he's playing and with whom he's playing. So, the set up is fine, it's the headphones...

As far as the latest pair that died, they just quit working. The little box that has the power button and syncing information usual has a blue light to indicate power supply, it went off. I unplugged everything, and re-plugged it all back in, still dead.

The first pair of TB he had, the cord 'broke' away from the headset (similar to what okiewaker said), and I was able to temporarily fix them until the wire eventually came completely out). The second pair started sounding really 'static-y' before finally going dead, now these.

After the last pair died, I lectured him on the importance of taking care of them, not that it did any good, so it's entirely plausible that he just doesn't take care of them the way he should.

I went back and checked the receipts for the last two pair, I bought the second pair on 8/10/12, and the third pair on 12/12/12. Crazy.

badger
2/18/2013, 10:10 PM
He's probably trying to get to a point where you say "eff the headphones" and let him play with just the talk-to-others headset :)

I mean, i dont know your kid, but do u have a limit on how many headsets u replace? If so, does your kid think you'll give in and let him play with tv sound... or have u threatened to take away xbox privileges until he buys his own replacement headphones?

OUTrumpet
2/18/2013, 11:02 PM
I've had a pair of Turtle Beach headphones since summer 2010, and they have given me no problems whatsoever. Should be fine as long as you take care of them.

I'd almost say if you're going to get a new pair and he keeps breaking them, why not just get him the cheap generic ones? I wouldn't waste my money on Dolby Digital Surround Sound headphones if he doesn't value them.

Ton Loc
2/19/2013, 11:07 AM
Astro A50s - probably the best you can get, but considering how fast your kid went through the last 3 pair - no way.
Trittons - Cool and cost a lot less.

Of course - my TB's have lasted me two years and look brand new. Kids will ruin anything in a hurry.

achiro
2/19/2013, 11:22 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that both TB and Tritton have several models to choose from. So we could all be comparing apples and oranges here. 2-3 months is a problem though for sure. Check and see if he rests his controller on his chest or stomach while he plays. If he's not using a wireless setup then the wire that plugs into the controller may be getting pinched. On my old trittons that wire was easily replaced for a few bucks and was getting close to needing it(a little static when I bumped it just right) but I don't have any idea if it can be replaced on the TB's. The Warheads I have now are completely wireless which is "dreamy". ;)

8timechamps
2/19/2013, 04:29 PM
He's probably trying to get to a point where you say "eff the headphones" and let him play with just the talk-to-others headset :)

I mean, i dont know your kid, but do u have a limit on how many headsets u replace? If so, does your kid think you'll give in and let him play with tv sound... or have u threatened to take away xbox privileges until he buys his own replacement headphones?

He likes using the headphones, so I don't think that's the issue.

I don't really have a limit on how many I'll buy, as I never thought it would come to this. Since I did have the foresight to purchase a warranty on this last pair, I have no problem exchanging this set. But, after this one...he'll be on his own.

8timechamps
2/19/2013, 04:30 PM
Astro A50s - probably the best you can get, but considering how fast your kid went through the last 3 pair - no way.
Trittons - Cool and cost a lot less.

Of course - my TB's have lasted me two years and look brand new. Kids will ruin anything in a hurry.

This, I think is the bottom line.

It's possible/probable that the brand isn't the issue. However, this most recent incident is puzzling, because they were working fine one minute, and completely dead the next. Still could have been the way he handles them though.

8timechamps
2/19/2013, 04:33 PM
I've had a pair of Turtle Beach headphones since summer 2010, and they have given me no problems whatsoever. Should be fine as long as you take care of them.

I'd almost say if you're going to get a new pair and he keeps breaking them, why not just get him the cheap generic ones? I wouldn't waste my money on Dolby Digital Surround Sound headphones if he doesn't value them.

Without sounding like a complete d-bag, I'll just say that money isn't an issue, and I absolutely hate buying the "cheap generic" version of anything. That said, I'm not sure he even appreciates the Dolby Digital deal.

As I mentioned above, I did get a warranty this time, but after this, he'll get to spend his own money to replace them (if it happens again).

tator
2/21/2013, 02:21 PM
Without sounding like a complete d-bag, I'll just say that money isn't an issue, and I absolutely hate buying the "cheap generic" version of anything.

You did not succeed :)

8timechamps
2/21/2013, 04:45 PM
You did not succeed :)

Can't win 'em all.

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 01:02 PM
We bought an XBOX 360 Kinect System a couple years ago. It had started locking up. We took it to a guy that fixes them and he said everything is fine with it except the case. The hard drive and inner workings are all fine. He says the problem lies in the case somewhere or some how.

Any ideas other than sell the damn thing on EBAY with full disclosure and go buy a new Game Console? Btw...all the games and the kin ect games work on our friends consoles so its not the games.