PDA

View Full Version : A Better City In America, There Is Not.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2013, 09:24 AM
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Tulsa_Skyline_Night.jpg

FaninAma
2/15/2013, 09:25 AM
I like Tulsa but I wouldn't rank it at the top.

KantoSooner
2/15/2013, 09:27 AM
And it's got about a mile of clutch to let out. A little inspired leadership and this place could truly be a beacon. Area resources are staggering.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2013, 09:34 AM
And it's got about a mile of clutch to let out. A little inspired leadership and this place could truly be a beacon. Area resources are staggering.

The only thing that has ever held Oklahoma back are Okies. Oklahoma City has really got its **** together over the last 10-15 years and, sadly, started passing Tulsa by. A shame but true.

KantoSooner
2/15/2013, 09:47 AM
OKC has simply had a much superior City gov. In terms of natural assets, Tulsa is streets ahead. Tulsa just needs to take the City Council out behind the barn, along with the old .12, and finish things.
Or, alternatively, take the mayor out.
You can't have two people using the steering wheel at once.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2013, 09:53 AM
OKC has simply had a much superior City gov. In terms of natural assets, Tulsa is streets ahead. Tulsa just needs to take the City Council out behind the barn, along with the old .12, and finish things.
Both have been the problem. Every mayor since Savage has been lackluster at best and the City Council and their squabbling have been borderline criminal.

badger
2/15/2013, 09:57 AM

The city council is no longer the dysfunctional family that it once was - everyone was up for election at once and many were voted out.

The mayor, on the other hand, is usually the punch line of Tulsa jokes, even if he seems like a nice guy. There are already candidates declaring just because he seems unpopular (as mayor, not necessarily as a person) here.

The voters and the ones putting together ballot initiatives are where the real dysfunction starts:

1- Get big group of well-funded campaigners together to put ballot initiative up on next election day.

2- Tulsa voters all exclaim "WTF is this ****"

3- Ballot initiative loses by large margin.

We've seen this with the "Our River Yes" and "Vision2" ballot initiatives lately, and saw it to a lesser degree with some WTF moves to change the city government, some of which would likely not have been held up in court (there was one where they'd add more city councilors, which would have diluted minority area representation, a no-no for states with minority voting rights issues in their histories).

Tulsans will vote for stuff that has a lot of public education behind the campaign, rather than a "It's a really low tax increase!" and "It'll preserve American Airlines jobs, but we must vote IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT FURTHER DISCUSSION!"

cleller
2/15/2013, 09:58 AM
I lived in OKC some in the 60s-early 70s then in Tulsa for 25 years starting in 84.
In between, and right now, I've lived halfway between the two.
During the 70s and 80s Tulsa was still hanging on to its small, yet cosmo city feel. The rich folks ran the town, and did a good job, but were not ready to change for the sake of growth. (I would have felt the same)

Unfortunately it seems that cities are either growing or dying. OKC soon jumped on the growth hormone. Now its just a little Dallas. I still prefer Tulsa, as its geography will also be much nicer, but the city gov does need to get its act streamlined, and instill more accountability.

8timechamps
2/15/2013, 09:00 PM
I love OKC, but it's nowhere near the best city in America. However, it has certainly stepped up it's game in the past decade. I'm proud to say I'm from OKC.

Midtowner
2/15/2013, 09:50 PM
OKC >>>> Tulsa.

20 years ago, that wasn't the case.

C&CDean
2/16/2013, 09:54 AM
I go through Tulsa all the time. ~average? At best.

OKC is to Tulsa as OU is to OSU. Wasn't always that way, but it is now.

MsProudSooner
2/16/2013, 10:04 AM
It doesn't seem to matter who the Mayor is or who is on the City Council, they bicker and squabble about everything.

sappstuf
2/16/2013, 10:20 AM
No better city? I don't see any Harlem Shakes going on in that picture....

SanJoaquinSooner
2/16/2013, 11:03 AM
I missed the post that spoke about the criteria.

On what basis is a city better than another?

When I went to OU, lots of my dormmates were from Tulsa, whereas I grew up in NW OKC.

I was envious of Tulsans because it seemed like they all had common experiences living in Tulsa, even if they went to different schools, whereas those of us from OKC did not. OKC (was) is just too spread out. Maybe downtown development has changed that. Has public transportation improved? It did not exist in NW OKC when I lived there.

GDC
2/16/2013, 01:11 PM

Agreed. I also think one would have had to actually lived in or at least visited a few different cities to have a valid opinion. 12 years in Waco and the rest in mom and pop's house in Ft. Gibson would not be sufficient.

C&CDean
2/16/2013, 01:17 PM

On what basis is a city better than another?

When I went to OU, lots of my dormmates were from Tulsa, whereas I grew up in NW OKC.

I was envious of Tulsans because it seemed like they all had common experiences living in Tulsa, even if they went to different schools, whereas those of us from OKC did not. OKC (was) is just too spread out. Maybe downtown development has changed that. Has public transportation improved? It did not exist in NW OKC when I lived there.

FWIW, public trans would be the least important criteria to determine the worth of a city over another. After riding the DC Metro for much of the past 20-something years (as well as BART, MARTA, and the POS El) you can take your public trans and bury it deep in your nether regions. Hell, I even hate flying anymore cause it's nothing but a Greyhound bus in the sky.

olevetonahill
2/16/2013, 02:36 PM
It would Be hard to beat beautiful Downtown Wister.

picasso
2/16/2013, 02:58 PM
Both have been the problem. Every mayor since Savage has been lackluster at best and the City Council and their squabbling have been borderline criminal.

Savage is the benchmark for mayoral leadership in Tulsa? I laughed.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/16/2013, 03:51 PM

Is that new cafe on Plum street still doing business?

SanJoaquinSooner
2/16/2013, 04:03 PM
FWIW, public trans would be the least important criteria to determine the worth of a city over another. After riding the DC Metro for much of the past 20-something years (as well as BART, MARTA, and the POS El) you can take your public trans and bury it deep in your nether regions. Hell, I even hate flying anymore cause it's nothing but a Greyhound bus in the sky.

Dean, public transportation doesn't make a city great, but some cities would suck worse without it. Without it, every driver needs his or her own car, with ample and free/cheap parking, and traffic can't suck. DC is much better with the metro than without it. And with San Francisco needs buses and Bart.

olevetonahill
2/16/2013, 04:10 PM
Is that new cafe on Plum street still doing business?

You betcha. Pretty good BBQ. Steaks aint nothin much to brag about tho.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/16/2013, 05:26 PM
You betcha. Pretty good BBQ. Steaks aint nothin much to brag about tho.

Is Plum Street the main drag?

hawaii 5-0
2/16/2013, 05:29 PM

or Howe.

5-0

yermom
2/16/2013, 06:08 PM
this seems to imply there is a city in another country better than the best in America.

why do you hate America SicEm?

olevetonahill
2/16/2013, 09:40 PM
Is Plum Street the main drag?

Used to be the City center. State redid 270/271 Now Most traffic goes north of most of the town.

FirstandGoal
2/17/2013, 01:34 PM
I've lived in Oklahoma for all but the first 18 months of my life and all of that time has been spent in the OKC metro area. The last 20 years in OKC. I've seen the town go through a lot of changes and I never quite understood the lure of Tulsa. Okay, so it looks prettier. Big deal. I've spent a lot of time driving around Tulsa back in the days when my son played competitive soccer and were were in Sand Springs/Broken Arrow/Tulsa 3 out of 4 weekends of the month. Driving there is a nightmare. The street names are so ****ed up. I mean how the hell can one street have 2 different directions in it? Also, 2 numbered streets intersecting with all the jumbled up mish-mash of directional names is confusing as hell. Thank God for google maps because that's about the only way I can find anything there.

Oh, and I don't get the whole country club atmosphere of the town. It's like if you're from OKC and not Tulsa, you're looked down upon and its like these guys have their own little special club and the unworthy unwashed masses from teh O-K-C aren't good enough.
Eh well, I'm closer to Norman and a rabid Thunder fan so it's all good.....

Flagstaffsooner
2/17/2013, 02:00 PM
The tulsa folks do tend to be a bit snotty.

Flagstaffsooner
2/17/2013, 02:05 PM

Yup.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KMWej66BAfs/TpSA2TJIbRI/AAAAAAAAA8M/0RLd5mgRCV4/s1600/Mayberry.jpg

8timechamps
2/17/2013, 06:45 PM
I've lived in Oklahoma for all but the first 18 months of my life and all of that time has been spent in the OKC metro area. The last 20 years in OKC. I've seen the town go through a lot of changes and I never quite understood the lure of Tulsa. Okay, so it looks prettier. Big deal. I've spent a lot of time driving around Tulsa back in the days when my son played competitive soccer and were were in Sand Springs/Broken Arrow/Tulsa 3 out of 4 weekends of the month. Driving there is a nightmare. The street names are so ****ed up. I mean how the hell can one street have 2 different directions in it? Also, 2 numbered streets intersecting with all the jumbled up mish-mash of directional names is confusing as hell. Thank God for google maps because that's about the only way I can find anything there.

Oh, and I don't get the whole country club atmosphere of the town. It's like if you're from OKC and not Tulsa, you're looked down upon and its like these guys have their own little special club and the unworthy unwashed masses from teh O-K-C aren't good enough.
Eh well, I'm closer to Norman and a rabid Thunder fan so it's all good.....

I remember that from my days in Oklahoma. Looking back at it now, what a bunch of morons. Not that I didn't feel that way back then, it's just funnier to me now.

C&CDean
2/18/2013, 09:39 AM
The most bat**** crazy posters on this board are from Tulsa.

Turd_Ferguson
2/18/2013, 09:47 AM

Seconded...

yermom
2/18/2013, 11:18 AM

:mad:

C&CDean
2/18/2013, 11:25 AM
:mad:

My case. I rest it...

KantoSooner
2/18/2013, 11:30 AM
First and Goal is right about the street 'system' in Tulsa. I did some research and discovered that the street numbering system actually has logical roots.

When Tulsa was first formed, the early city fathers (back then women had no voice) decided that they needed a numbering system. They selected one of their group, Elmer Dunlap, to come up with the system. Unfortunately Elmer had a number of challenges. He had been born to an alcoholic mother and repeatedly dropped on his head as a baby. Growing up under conditions of persistent malnutrition and suffering continued head injuries, Elmer's life was hard. He coped, as best he could, through recourse to opiates, in large quantities. In fact, the Harvard Medical School once studied him to discover why he was seemingly immune to overdose. The electroshock therapy did help, however, and his lust for life drove him onto the early City Council.
Unfortunately, he was in something of a relapse when designing the street numbering system for Tulsa and was both blind drunk and in the midst of a 14 day peyote binge when he did the work.

And that's why Tulsa streets are 'organized' as they are today.

achiro
2/18/2013, 12:10 PM
OKC has better financial incentives for recruiting new businesses than Tulsa. The voters in Tulsa recently killed a chance to change that.

OU68
2/18/2013, 12:21 PM
Must be a bunch of damned kids on this forum. OKC is hick-town, so flat you can roll a marble to Waco, windy all the time - need I go on? Cowboy hall of fame, hahahaha. Try Philbrook and Gilcrease. Bunch of damn hicks I tell you!!!

badger
2/18/2013, 12:34 PM
OKC has better financial incentives for recruiting new businesses than Tulsa. The voters in Tulsa recently killed a chance to change that.

I voted for it, but don't blame the majority of voters that screamed NO. You don't shove more taxes at voters without explaining thoroughly what they are for... and if you know that the initiative has no chance to pass, don't put it on the ballot and make Tulsa look bad voting it down!

MsProudSooner
2/18/2013, 12:34 PM
Must be a bunch of damned kids on this forum. OKC is hick-town, so flat you can roll a marble to Waco, windy all the time - need I go on? Cowboy hall of fame, hahahaha. Try Philbrook and Gilcrease. Bunch of damn hicks I tell you!!!

I've lived in the Tulsa area since 1969 and every negative comment about it is true - especially about the street naming/numbering. Naming the north south streets in alphabetical order is the only logical thing about getting around in this town.

OU68
2/18/2013, 12:59 PM
I've lived in the Tulsa area since 1969 and every negative comment about it is true - especially about the street naming/numbering. Naming the north south streets in alphabetical order is the only logical thing about getting around in this town.

So you don't know that 21st is further south than 11th? :disillusionment:

Flagstaffsooner
2/18/2013, 01:06 PM
First and Goal is right about the street 'system' in Tulsa. I did some research and discovered that the street numbering system actually has logical roots.

When Tulsa was first formed, the early city fathers (back then women had no voice) decided that they needed a numbering system. They selected one of their group, Elmer Dunlap, to come up with the system. Unfortunately Elmer had a number of challenges. He had been born to an alcoholic mother and repeatedly dropped on his head as a baby. Growing up under conditions of persistent malnutrition and suffering continued head injuries, Elmer's life was hard. He coped, as best he could, through recourse to opiates, in large quantities. In fact, the Harvard Medical School once studied him to discover why he was seemingly immune to overdose. The electroshock therapy did help, however, and his lust for life drove him onto the early City Council.
Unfortunately, he was in something of a relapse when designing the street numbering system for Tulsa and was both blind drunk and in the midst of a 14 day peyote binge when he did the work.

And that's why Tulsa streets are 'organized' as they are today.

Must be the same dude that did Flagstaff's streets.

yermom
2/18/2013, 01:19 PM
people are confused by Tulsa streets?

OU68
2/18/2013, 01:22 PM
people are confused by Tulsa streets?

Just them dayum OKC hicks. :hopelessness:

tator
2/18/2013, 04:31 PM
I've always thought street navigation was our claim to fame, after meth labs.

They are in a pretty damn perfect square grid. They are numbered accordingly. And 2 directions in one address confuses you?

C&CDean
2/18/2013, 05:08 PM

They are in a pretty damn perfect square grid. They are numbered accordingly. And 2 directions in one address confuses you?

NS Southwest Freeway SE. Yeah, that would confuse me.

KantoSooner
2/18/2013, 05:54 PM

Yes, they confuse me. Probably a good bit of this is me. I just can't be bothered to puzzle my way through the logic. Normally, I simply find a high place (which Tulsa has vs. OKC. Advantage, Tulsa) and look out across the city to where I'm going. Then I just dead reckon without reference to the damn names or numbers.

SicEmBaylor
2/18/2013, 07:55 PM
Tulsa is extremely easy to navigate.

yermom
2/18/2013, 08:01 PM
Tulsa is extremely easy to navigate.

now if that isn't a ringing endorsement...

Tulsa_Fireman
2/18/2013, 08:09 PM
On a scooter, no less!

SicEmBaylor
2/18/2013, 08:15 PM
On a scooter, no less!

The Tulsa Scooter Store will treat you right! Highly recommend.

sooneron
2/18/2013, 11:08 PM
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Tulsa_Skyline_Night.jpg

A skyline pretty much unchanged since 198... ? I saw that pic (having been to Tulsa a ****load of times) and said to myself, "WTF town is that? Can't be tulsa, it looks like tulsa 20-25 years ago."

OU68
2/19/2013, 09:57 AM
A skyline pretty much unchanged since 198... ? I saw that pic (having been to Tulsa a ****load of times) and said to myself, "WTF town is that? Can't be tulsa, it looks like tulsa 20-25 years ago."

Can't help but notice that you didn't include the BOK center or the new ball field :confused::confused:

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 10:06 AM
Get over it Tulsaites. Your second-rate city sucks hind tit to OKC. It shouldn't, but it does. That is fact.

Breadburner
2/19/2013, 10:08 AM
Lol...Okc is a flat dump...And always will be.....

OU68
2/19/2013, 10:10 AM
Get over it Tulsaites. Your second-rate city sucks hind tit to OKC. It shouldn't, but it does. That is fact.

If the wind ever stops blowing, OKC will fall over...

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 10:15 AM
Empty hollow words chumps. It is what it is. All the wisecracks in the world won't change it.

And like I said, it shouldn't be that way. Y'all have allowed your fine city to crumble around you whilst the city fathers (and the obviously more intelligent voters) in OKC have done what it takes to turn a dump into a fine model city. Living in the past and beating your chests doesn't make Tulsa a better city. It makes you look like whorns.

KantoSooner
2/19/2013, 10:30 AM
Okay, I'll play. Edumacate me. What does OKC have that is so compelling?

Don't all go at once, now.

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 10:47 AM
Okay, I'll play. Edumacate me. What does OKC have that is so compelling?

Don't all go at once, now.

I don't live there, but I go up there a lot. My experience with OKC starts in 1991 when I moved to Norman from AZ. In 1991 the bricktown area was nothing but boarded up warehouses and very much a dump. The highlight of a trip downtown was going to the underground - where most of the shops and stuff were closed up. Downtown was a pit. No growth, dangerous, ghetto for the most part.

Now? Wouldn't even recognize it if you hadn't seen it in 20 years. Thriving. Riverwalk/restaurants/townhouses/Bass Pro/Thunder/Ford Center/Chesapeake/etc. On and on.

Tulsa? Like OKC was 20 years ago.

OU68
2/19/2013, 10:49 AM
I don't live there, but I go up there a lot. My experience with OKC starts in 1991 when I moved to Norman from AZ. In 1991 the bricktown area was nothing but boarded up warehouses and very much a dump. The highlight of a trip downtown was going to the underground - where most of the shops and stuff were closed up. Downtown was a pit. No growth, dangerous, ghetto for the most part.

Now? Wouldn't even recognize it if you hadn't seen it in 20 years. Thriving. Riverwalk/restaurants/townhouses/Bass Pro/Thunder/Ford Center/Chesapeake/etc. On and on.

Tulsa? Like OKC was 20 years ago.

Uh, Bass Pro/BOK Center/Philbrook/Gilcrease/PAC - when OKC grows a hill or a tree get back to us...

Ton Loc
2/19/2013, 11:00 AM
...when OKC grows a hill or a tree get back to us...

Ha, resting your argument on what god gave you versus what you all actually do for yourselves. Good stuff - ask California how that works out.

I actually like Tulsa, it has a couple charms, but its not better than OKC.

KantoSooner
2/19/2013, 11:13 AM
There's a lot of develoopment going on in downtown TUL. More than I had thought. I went on the heart walk last spring and was surprised to see not the big projects but the infill stuff. It's not where Bricktown is, but Bricktown, for all that it's an amazing improvement (I worked in the Capitol area in the mid-1980's), is pretty much Disney in my impression. A sort of pre-programmed 'development'. Kind of phony/kitchy.
Tulsa is not there, yet, in terms of raw development. But what's going on downtown there is surprisingly organic and feels natural rather than dropped in from 50,000 feet by a committee.
It's good to see what OKC has done. I only wish Tulsa could resolve its city government problems and go do something of the same magnitude.

OU68
2/19/2013, 11:20 AM
Ha, resting your argument on what god gave you versus what you all actually do for yourselves. Good stuff - ask California how that works out.

I actually like Tulsa, it has a couple charms, but its not better than OKC.

So if Midland, TX builds a faux river and brings in a pro team they'll be equal with OKC and better than Tulsa? WTF???

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2013, 11:23 AM
So if Midland, TX builds a faux river and brings in a pro team they'll be equal with OKC and better than Tulsa? WTF???

I think 'stream' is more descriptive than water.

achiro
2/19/2013, 11:31 AM
Uh, Bass Pro/BOK Center/Philbrook/Gilcrease/PAC - when OKC grows a hill or a tree get back to us...

Hahaha,you said Bass Pro! Hahahahaha!

Turd_Ferguson
2/19/2013, 11:31 AM
I think 'stream' is more descriptive than water.

I think your on crack...

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2013, 11:33 AM
I think your on crack...

Heh. Just tired. I haven't gone to bed yet.

I meant stream is more descriptive than river.

sooneron
2/19/2013, 11:37 AM
Can't help but notice that you didn't include the BOK center or the new ball field :confused::confused:

Wow! Two whole things, huh?

Someone on here put it best a while back. I'll paraphrase...
OKC was the not so hot girl in HS that went out and got a degree, took care of herself and got in shape to be hotter than most of the girls- she blossomed. Tulsa was the prom queen that still thinks she's all that, except she put on 40 lbs still talks about the old glory days. meh.

achiro
2/19/2013, 11:51 AM
Listen, I grew up around Tulsa, lived in BA for a short time, have two sisters that live there and I really like it. That said, Ron has it right on, OKC is doing something right that Tulsa is missing out on.
OKC-Tulsa
NBA-WNBA
Triple-A - Double-A
AHL-CHL
Riverwalk-Riverside
You get the picture. As far as museums, it's a wash depending on what people want to see. Same with the zoos.
Tulsa has the Aquarium
Both have performing arts
And yes, both have Bass Pro LOL

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2013, 11:57 AM
Listen, I grew up around Tulsa, lived in BA for a short time, have two sisters that live there and I really like it. That said, Ron has it right on, OKC is doing something right that Tulsa is missing out on.
OKC-Tulsa
NBA-WNBA
Triple-A - Double-A
AHL-CHL
Riverwalk-Riverside
You get the picture. As far as museums, it's a wash depending on what people want to see. Same with the zoos.
Tulsa has the Aquarium
Most of this is, admittedly, accurate; however, Tulsa most certainly has a better zoo. The two aren't even comparable. The rest of that is accurate, but I'd still make the case that Tulsa is greater than the sum of its parts.

OUDoc
2/19/2013, 12:04 PM
I've said this several times. The difference between OKC and Tulsa is that Tulsans seem to give a **** what OKC is doing.
It isn't mutual.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/19/2013, 12:20 PM
I've worked in every single one of those tall buildings + the not shown dirty ice cube. Do not miss that at all.

As for the layout, if you think Tulsa is bad, you should try some of the places around London. I have to go to Newbury (Berkshire, UK) for work and I swear their road system was designed by a 2 year old with a crayon. Give me a grid over that confounding mess any day.

KantoSooner
2/19/2013, 12:41 PM
Lots of cities are bad. New Orleans, for one. Tokyo is a freaking nightmare.

What sets Tulsa apart is that, essentially, they take a perfectly serviceable grid and then use the same number for every street. So you're simply better off ignoring the street names/numbers and just go by latitude/longitude.

OU68
2/19/2013, 12:42 PM
I've said this several times. The difference between OKC and Tulsa is that Tulsans seem to give a **** what OKC is doing.
It isn't mutual.

If you think Tulsans give a s&&t about OKC, you're on crack.

OU68
2/19/2013, 01:02 PM
OKC-Tulsa
NBA-WNBA
Triple-A - Double-A
AHL-CHL
Riverwalk-Riverside
Tulsa has the Aquarium

So your criteria basically boils down to sports teams -- you'll love Dallas, enjoy.

achiro
2/19/2013, 01:13 PM
So your criteria basically boils down to sports teams -- you'll love Dallas, enjoy.

Don't be an idiot, you're the one that brought up the "ball park". I'm just showing that everything you listed that Tulsa has, OKC has as well. Sports teams were just part of my list.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/19/2013, 01:21 PM

Tulsa has access to the Illinois River which to me is a big plus. Visiting from Seattle I was shocked at how little to do there was in either OKC or Tulsa. My kids were like what did you do when you were a kid? Um, Bells? Nope. Big Splash? Nope. Um, float trip? Yep. Oh wait, its 115 outside so no.

OUDoc
2/19/2013, 01:38 PM
If you think Tulsans give a s&&t about OKC, you're on crack.

Yes. Clearly you don't have a problem with OKC.

OU68
2/19/2013, 01:48 PM
Yes. Clearly you don't have a problem with OKC.

I don't have anything to do with OKC - just people from that cow-paddy claiming to be better than Tulsa.

rainiersooner
2/19/2013, 02:19 PM
Ya'll rednecks are welcome to visit me anytime in Seattle and I'll show you what a real CITY is like!!:applouse::applouse:

rainiersooner
2/19/2013, 02:20 PM
Tulsa has access to the Illinois River which to me is a big plus. Visiting from Seattle I was shocked at how little to do there was in either OKC or Tulsa. My kids were like what did you do when you were a kid? Um, Bells? Nope. Big Splash? Nope. Um, float trip? Yep. Oh wait, its 115 outside so no.

You from Seattle? Sweeeeeet. Go Sonics!!

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2013, 02:22 PM
Ya'll rednecks are welcome to visit me anytime in Seattle and I'll show you what a real CITY is like!!:applouse::applouse:

I'm allergic to hippy-stank.

rainiersooner
2/19/2013, 02:25 PM
I'm allergic to hippy-stank.

Parts of Seattle are hippy-stank filled but overall the region is pretty diverse culturally AND politically. Most people agree that the tea party movement itself actually began in Seattle:

http://seattletimes.com/html/opinion/2009139525_opina29ramsey.html

SoonerAtKU
2/19/2013, 02:26 PM
I'm probably visiting Seattle later this year to visit my brother-in-law. Any must-sees from our residents?

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2013, 02:27 PM
Parts of Seattle are hippy-stank filled but overall the region is pretty diverse culturally AND politically. Most people agree that the tea party movement itself actually began in Seattle:

Hey man, I'm not a tea partier and you lost me at the word "diverse." :D

In all honesty, I hear Seattle is a perfectly lovely city but I have no interest in it whatsoever.

rainiersooner
2/19/2013, 02:29 PM
Hey man, I'm not a tea partier and you lost me at the word "diverse." :D

In all honesty, I hear Seattle is a perfectly lovely city but I have no interest in it whatsoever.

Ha ha! Well I didn't necessarily mean you were, but I always think its interesting that the same liberal place that has elected jim mcdermott for the past 500 years could have spawned the tea party movement.

rainiersooner
2/19/2013, 02:30 PM
I'm probably visiting Seattle later this year to visit my brother-in-law. Any must-sees from our residents?

Yes - many! I'll PM you sometime this week

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 03:00 PM
I don't have anything to do with OKC - just people from that cow-paddy claiming to be better than Tulsa.

For someone who doesn't give a ****, you sure got riled up. Hind tit. Suck it.

SoonerAtKU
2/19/2013, 03:09 PM
Yes - many! I'll PM you sometime this week

Excellent, thanks!

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2013, 03:11 PM
I won't really bash OKC. OKC is sooooo much better than when it was an oil/industrial wasteland. The revitalization of downtown and creation of Bricktown did a phenomenal job at jump-starting the city's economic growth. They deserve a lot of credit for that.

Having said all that, I just don't get OKC. I think a couple of posters compared it to mini-Dallas, and I think that's fair. The city just doesn't seem to have much personality.

Plus, Tulsa has Coney I-Lander. Game. Set. Match.

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 03:13 PM
Uh, Owen Field is closer to OKC. Game. Set. Match. Ugga bugga.

OU68
2/19/2013, 03:34 PM
Uh, Owen Field is closer to OKC. Game. Set. Match. Ugga bugga.

OKC is closer to Saxet - hind tit, suck it. :surprise:

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah, but Tulsans are more like Texans.

OU68
2/19/2013, 03:58 PM

Ouch! Now you're going to hurt my feelings... :texan:

Flagstaffsooner
2/19/2013, 04:06 PM
tulsa smells like houston.

8timechamps
2/19/2013, 04:18 PM
Can someone from Tulsa tell me why Tulsa is better than OKC?

I'll admit, as a kid, Casa Bonita was a draw...then I grew up and had less tolerance for food poisoning. But seriously, why would someone from out of the state pick Tulsa over OKC?

texaspokieokie
2/19/2013, 04:23 PM
I like tulsa best, & i don't care which dean likes.

OU68
2/19/2013, 04:35 PM
Can someone from Tulsa tell me why Tulsa is better than OKC?

I'll admit, as a kid, Casa Bonita was a draw...then I grew up and had less tolerance for food poisoning. But seriously, why would someone from out of the state pick Tulsa over OKC?

Next time you might want to try the Polo Grill, or one of the new downtown restaurants. :pop:

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2013, 05:21 PM

Now, that is definitely not true.

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 05:25 PM
Now, that is definitely not true.

Really? They have a false sense of superiority, they think everything is bigger and better in Tulsa, both places start with T and have 5 letters, and no matter how much you present them with facts they just go "la la la we're better."

So, tell me again how it's not true.

olevetonahill
2/19/2013, 05:34 PM

Where at Starbucks?

Washington has a Lot of ****in apples and RAIN
screw that.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/19/2013, 05:41 PM
People arguing okc-tulsa is like arguing who looks better naked..dean or vet.

OU68
2/19/2013, 05:42 PM
Really? They have a false sense of superiority, they think everything is bigger and better in Tulsa, both places start with T and have 5 letters, and no matter how much you present them with facts they just go "la la la we're better."

So, tell me again how it's not true.

Tulsa - unique; Oklahoma City - City of Oklahoma - City in Oklahoma?? WTF, couldn't come up with a name?

olevetonahill
2/19/2013, 05:45 PM

Vote Me, Vote Me, I gots more experience at it.

When the cleanin girl shows up on thursdays she has to hunt every where to find enough stuff to make a load of laundry

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 05:53 PM

Says the guy from McTweaker.

C&CDean
2/19/2013, 05:53 PM
Tulsa - unique; Oklahoma City - City of Oklahoma - City in Oklahoma?? WTF, couldn't come up with a name?

You ain't got nothin', do ya? Heh.

KantoSooner
2/19/2013, 05:58 PM

And am I to take it that you've seen both naked?

Oh! The Humanity!!!

olevetonahill
2/19/2013, 06:05 PM
And am I to take it that you've seen both naked?

Oh! The Humanity!!!

He was the Tail Gate Bitch .

olevetonahill
2/19/2013, 06:07 PM
You Peeps arguin over whos Town is better remind me of My Mommas saying

"Every Old crow thinks theirs are the blackest"
Yall figure it out .:chuncky:

MsProudSooner
2/19/2013, 10:33 PM
So you don't know that 21st is further south than 11th? :disillusionment:

It's figuring out where South 145th East Avenue and East 51st Street South are that is the problem. Give me good old NW 23rd and SE 59th street any day of the week.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/19/2013, 10:49 PM
If it's so great, do me a favor.

Name the hundred block streets from Pennsylvania to May. The north/south ones that have no rhyme or reason as to their naming convention.

Being a born and raised Midwest City boy, I have to admit moving was the best thing I ever did. Nothing against Titletown, OK, OR OKC but yes, there IS something special about my Tulsa. She's a gem in Oklahoma's crown whether the city folks want to admit it or not.

East Coast Bias
2/20/2013, 07:53 AM
I was in Tulsa for a few days last week after moving away 16 years ago. I am amazed at how much more commercialized it is now . It seems to have a more lower-middle class feel now than before, but maybe that is from hanging out in mid-town? Where i grew up on 21st street is a latino enclave today. I do have to admitt the hamburgers in OKla beat anything we have in the East....

OU68
2/20/2013, 08:57 AM
You ain't got nothin', do ya? Heh.

I give up - I prefer the cultural jewel of Green Country, you prefer the glorified truck-stop at the intersection of I35 & I40. To each his own...

sooneron
2/20/2013, 09:52 AM
I give up - I prefer the cultural jewel of Green Country, you prefer the glorified truck-stop at the intersection of I35 & I40. To each his own...

And if Tulsa brought anything commercially, they'd have an i-35/40 intersection.

Most people on here arguing in the corner of OKC actually like Tulsa for the most part, its the Tulsa people that have such a texas-like regard for their town that makes it unlikeable.

Once again, Tulsa = nice town, not what it once was after big oil etc left town and the city management screwed the pooch.
I was privy to much of the Enterprise takeover of Alamo and National as it was happening. The muckity mucks considered keeping a lot of the base in Tulsa as opposed to moving it to St Louis, but they were like, "meh, that town is so poorly run, we might as well cut bait." If Tulsa was such the "crown Jewel" they would have left more behind.

C&CDean
2/20/2013, 10:04 AM

No, I prefer the pastures, hills, and trees East of Purcell. I've got 200+ year old post oak, red oak, hickory, blackjack, pecan, black walnut, and others all over my property. I can shoot deer, turkey, coon, possum, skunk, armadillo, crow, and squirrel from my porch. The only noise is the wind in the trees and the tree frogs in the summer night. You can almost stir the stars at night. I can shoot a high-powered rifle in all points of the compass and not worry about hitting anyone. My doors have never been locked. I don't even own a house key. The keys to every vehicle I own are in the ignitions. I have ponds full of bass, crappie, and blue gill.

Why the **** would I wanna live in Tulsa or OKC? However, coming from one who visits both towns, OKC >>>>>>Tulsa. It simply is.

achiro
2/20/2013, 11:02 AM
No, I prefer the pastures, hills, and trees East of Purcell. I've got 200+ year old post oak, red oak, hickory, blackjack, pecan, black walnut, and others all over my property. I can shoot deer, turkey, coon, possum, skunk, armadillo, crow, and squirrel from my porch. The only noise is the wind in the trees and the tree frogs in the summer night. You can almost stir the stars at night. I can shoot a high-powered rifle in all points of the compass and not worry about hitting anyone. My doors have never been locked. I don't even own a house key. The keys to every vehicle I own are in the ignitions. I have ponds full of bass, crappie, and blue gill.

Why the **** would I wanna live in Tulsa or OKC? However, coming from one who visits both towns, OKC >>>>>>Tulsa. It simply is.
You don't have an extra bedroom do you?

C&CDean
2/20/2013, 11:40 AM
You don't have an extra bedroom do you?

No. My mother-in-law is "visiting" right now. For the past ****ing 3 weeks. I told her MIL season opens next Saturday so she'd better be gone.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2013, 12:37 PM
Says the guy from McTweaker.

Sir, we have a wal mart for all of your shopping needs and a Mexican Restaurant on every corner...

And I live in the middle of town and have a 10 point buck that visits me from time to time..It's a great place to live!

olevetonahill
2/20/2013, 12:51 PM
Sir, we have a wal mart for all of your shopping needs and a Mexican Restaurant on every corner...

And I live in the middle of town and have a 10 point buck that visits me from time to time..It's a great place to live!

Thats Racist.

sooneron
2/20/2013, 01:35 PM
heh

OU68
2/20/2013, 02:03 PM
I can shoot a high-powered rifle in all points of the compass and not worry about hitting anything.

I had a rifle like that once... :smug:

Tulsa_Fireman
2/20/2013, 02:26 PM
Did you make a bad *** 1000 yard shot with some guy from LA?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/20/2013, 04:05 PM
You from Seattle? Sweeeeeet. Go Sonics!!

For over a decade now. If the housing market would ever recover I'm seriously considering moving near Steven's Pass (since I work from home now).

XingTheRubicon
2/20/2013, 07:40 PM
I like Tulsa, and if it wasn't for Edmond, Tulsa would be OKC's best suburb.

yermom
2/20/2013, 07:53 PM
Edmond blows. way too many pokes.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2013, 07:56 PM
Edmond blows. way too many pokes.

I went on a couple of dates with a chick from Edmond my fish year at Baylor.

Edmond always seemed like a nice enough suburb. UCO has been growing rather fast, hasn't it?

XingTheRubicon
2/20/2013, 08:47 PM
There are a lot of pokes here. What's funny, is even the well-off pokes have crooked eyes.

Just a little bit crooked...not corky, swinging tire crooked, but maybe reunion romance crooked.

MR2-Sooner86
2/21/2013, 09:15 PM
Tulsa has the world's largest gun show and gun museum.
We also have the most beers on tap in one location.

Tulsa is like Dr. Pepper 10, it's not for women. And reading this thread I see a whole lot of bitchy *** women.

OU68
2/22/2013, 09:07 AM

Tulsa is like Dr. Pepper 10, it's not for women. And reading this thread I see a whole lot of bitchy *** women.

heh. And, we're hosting the BassMaster Classic -- game/set/match. Dean you may now close this thread. :tickled_pink:

sooneron
2/22/2013, 11:27 AM

???

XingTheRubicon
2/22/2013, 12:46 PM
Thunder vs. WNBA pretty much sums it up...and it wasn't close before that.

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 01:14 PM
We just like pissing smucks like Dean off from time to time to see if they are human or snakes.

Christ....now all you have to do as Okies is continue to divide the Counties in our State?

BTW Dean...Will Rogers was from a small town outside of here. If folks want to try and understand the Tulsa attitude, they might only try and look at one of the greatest Oklahomans there ever was and try just a little to be the type of man that promoted not only this great State but the people who live in it.

Just a thought.

SicEmBaylor
2/22/2013, 02:17 PM

This is why I like you.

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 02:44 PM
This is why I like you.

Again....positive > negative.

You can find something wrong with any City or Town but Tulsa has lots of great things that others do not. It is time for a new Mayor. The last one I liked was LaFortune. He had great insight in getting the BOK built.

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 05:46 PM
Tulsa also has it's own coffee.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8sL4aczxY8XSdlel3UuKn3zPbPYwAD HzJXaTBzlPa7RQq7-GtrA

XingTheRubicon
2/22/2013, 06:10 PM
seeing Putin's mooseknuckle doesn't make me thirsty

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 06:38 PM
seeing Putin's mooseknuckle doesn't make me thirsty

heh

MR2-Sooner86
2/22/2013, 06:56 PM
???

McNellies downtown has more beers on tap than any other place in Oklahoma and has the largest selection of beer.

The McNellies they opened in OKC and Norman has about half of what Tulsa has.

This is why I like you.

No homo?

Again....positive > negative.

You can find something wrong with any City or Town but Tulsa has lots of great things that others do not. It is time for a new Mayor. The last one I liked was LaFortune. He had great insight in getting the BOK built.

I honestly could really care less. I remember growing up there was a rivalry between the Tulsa Oilers and whatever hockey team OKC has. I didn't know of anything else until I started posting on OU boards. It just seemed like OKC folks really had some kind of little dick syndrome and always brought up how awesome OKC was and how much Tulsa sucked. So I do what I can to just yank their chain.

SicEmBaylor
2/22/2013, 07:07 PM
No homo?
Just a good clean hetero bromance.

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 10:31 PM
I honestly could really care less. I remember growing up there was a rivalry between the Tulsa Oilers and whatever hockey team OKC has. I didn't know of anything else until I started posting on OU boards. It just seemed like OKC folks really had some kind of little dick syndrome and always brought up how awesome OKC was and how much Tulsa sucked. So I do what I can to just yank their chain.

Obviously you can see how easy it is huh? Hell most the time I'm just tired of seeing folks fighting over stupid stuff and I'm just trying to put a bit of sarcasm / laughter into it all. I think in the last few years it's all gotten way to personal. Maybe things would be better if there had never been tailgates. I thought Dean was really onto something there and then he up and quit doing them. Since then....folks who used to get along don't and folks who never went to them seem redeemed or something. It's really weird. Of course....so were the Tailgates. :D

C&CDean
2/23/2013, 04:46 PM
groan

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 05:51 PM
groan

:congratulatory:

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 06:37 PM
Do two groans make up a whole groin?

C&CDean
2/23/2013, 07:10 PM
Gregory,

1. It's "schmuck" not smuck. Anyone from OKC would know that. Tulsa? Guess not.

2. I guess you're pining for a public execution vs. a private one. Your call.

3. Your comment somewhere about tailgates in some thread is still making me scratch my head.

4. Your antennae is bent my man. Way bent.

5. See #2.

6. Seek professional help. Not for your sake, but for your family's. You've gone so far off the edge I don't even know what planet you hang out on.

7. It's you, not Howard. It's you, not me. It's you, not OUInsiders. It's you, not spek. It's you, not Turd. It's you, not Phil. It's you, not SF.com.

8. Hope that helps.

9. TIA.

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 07:14 PM
Seriously?

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 07:14 PM
Damn....someone's really reaching

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0egWjCAWKrg/UHbQx1DLmLI/AAAAAAAAC38/dbTwXY8-NE4/s1600/F+PANTIES_IN_A_BUNCH.jpg

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 07:17 PM
Wheres the Public Shoe whipping? we need to get DE back?

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 07:34 PM
Wheres the Public Shoe whipping? we need to get DE back?

Talk about your sniffing of Moderator Jock.

Dean....use a shoe horn if his head gets stuck up your a$$.

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 07:40 PM
Talk about your sniffing of Moderator Jock.

Dean....use a shoe horn if his head gets stuck up your a$$.

Man you are special aint ya.
Do you remember crying an whining about Phil baining ya? then send ME copies of his Texts back and forth with you?
Talk about suckin up that was pure gold. Dont try to deny it either Slipknot I still have em . :strawberry:

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 07:43 PM
Before you go hammering me with some sort of Dean-execution....

Try this on for size.

I left his website to post here. I don't go over there raising hell with him.

But it's me not Insider. It's me not The Posse, It's Me not you. It's me not Phil? Hell I thought I apologized to Phil. I guess apologies don't work. I don't know what you think I've done to you other than it's OK for some here to say anything on the Politics Forum but not others.

This place used to hardly ever ban anyone Sooner but lately I'm seeing a number of fellas taking over for Phil who haven't lived all of their lives in Oklahoma and are cracking down on Sooner Fans rather than Fans from other Schools. It seems like the place is anti Sooner these days.

Hell....even 75 seems to be MIA. Although I didn't always agree with him....he acted like a man and stood up for his beliefs. He didn't go complaining to the Mod to ban people. What the hell is wrong with this place?

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 07:44 PM
Man you are special aint ya.
Do you remember crying an whining about Phil baining ya? then send ME copies of his Texts back and forth with you?
Talk about suckin up that was pure gold. Dont try to deny it either Slipknot I still have em . :strawberry:

I'm sorry. Did you say something MOONSHINER? Have they caught you yet?

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry. Did you say something MOONSHINER? Have they caught you yet?

How fukin stupid are ya? Course they caught me over 3 years ago, You knew about it why ya even ask?
I paid my dept to society and Now Im FREE,
You sure seemed to LOVE to drink it at the TailGates that you say you hate. Guess you decided to quit drankin when Ya got a free supply of all those Pills.

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 08:01 PM

Try this on for size.

I left his website to post here. I don't go over there raising hell with him. [B]You left cause ya got yer panties in a wad, You dont come back for the same reason /B]

But it's me not Insider. It's me not The Posse, It's Me not you. It's me not Phil? Hell I thought I apologized to Phil. I guess apologies don't work. I don't know what you think I've done to you other than it's OK for some here to say anything on the Politics Forum but not others.

This place used to hardly ever ban anyone Sooner but lately I'm seeing a number of fellas taking over for Phil who haven't lived all of their lives in Oklahoma and are cracking down on Sooner Fans rather than Fans from other Schools. It seems like the place is anti Sooner these days.

Hell....even 75 seems to be MIA. Although I didn't always agree with him....he acted like a man and stood up for his beliefs. He didn't go complaining to the Mod to ban people. What the hell is wrong with this place?

Now Dumas . The Hideout was and always will be a Place to post stuff that ya cant post here. Never meant to be a Replacement for SF .
Go smoke another Pill Spongebob

SicEmBaylor
2/23/2013, 08:05 PM
Now Dumas . The Hideout was and always will be a Place to post stuff that ya cant post here. Never meant to be a Replacement for SF .
Go smoke another Pill Spongebob
I've never seen someone so f'n whiny about an internet message board. This is about the 10000th time I've heard him bitch about the hideout, this place, or some other place he posts. For the love of God...

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 08:10 PM
I've never seen someone so f'n whiny about an internet message board. This is about the 10000th time I've heard him bitch about the hideout, this place, or some other place he posts. For the love of God...

Make a Long story short. He wanted to do the VBookie deal so I made him a Mod to do the bets. Then he went apeshat nutso and didnt feel like it MOST of the time so I had to do em
Then he started pizsin folk off , I told em to just put him on Ignore, They couldnt cause he was a MOD. I peemed him for over 3 weeks trying to get him to quit Piszin folks off. he said it was THEM not Him( Sound familiar?) Finally I took him off being a Mod so they could just ignore him, he went apeshat nutso on me and the rest is History

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 08:20 PM
Make a Long story short. He wanted to do the VBookie deal so I made him a Mod to do the bets. Then he went apeshat nutso and didnt feel like it MOST of the time so I had to do em
Then he started pizsin folk off , I told em to just put him on Ignore, They couldnt cause he was a MOD. I peemed him for over 3 weeks trying to get him to quit Piszin folks off. he said it was THEM not Him( Sound familiar?) Finally I took him off being a Mod so they could just ignore him, he went apeshat nutso on me and the rest is History

How long ago was that now? Christ....let it go Otis.

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 08:21 PM

If saying I left is bitching....

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 08:24 PM
I'm headed out to the movies now. Have fun diagnosing that. I'll BBL to read your professional opinions....

SicEmBaylor
2/23/2013, 08:29 PM
I'm headed out to the movies now. Have fun diagnosing that. I'll BBL to read your professional opinions....
When has going to the movies ever stopped you?

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 08:45 PM

Going to watch Pron is Not helpin yer wife watch 15 little girls.

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 08:46 PM
When has going to the movies ever stopped you?

Heh. Good one

Flagstaffsooner
2/23/2013, 10:05 PM
That boy has some mental health probs.

olevetonahill
2/23/2013, 10:07 PM
That boy has some mental health probs.

Evenhttp://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/ALBQ2.png Agrees remember him talkin to us about him?

StoopTroup
2/23/2013, 10:49 PM
That boy....lol

diverdog
2/24/2013, 03:59 AM
How fukin stupid are ya? Course they caught me over 3 years ago, You knew about it why ya even ask?
I paid my dept to society and Now Im FREE,
You sure seemed to LOVE to drink it at the TailGates that you say you hate. Guess you decided to quit drankin when Ya got a free supply of all those Pills.

Did you really get nailed selling moonshine?

Flagstaffsooner
2/24/2013, 06:53 AM
Not selling, making. Pay 'tention.:listening_headphone

olevetonahill
2/24/2013, 10:06 AM
Did you really get nailed selling moonshine?

No, Thats just a nasty rumor. I wouldnt know where to start.

SicEmBaylor
2/24/2013, 10:09 AM
No, Thats just a nasty rumor. I wouldnt know where to start.

I wish I'd get nailed.

C&CDean
2/24/2013, 11:00 AM

Try this on for size.

I left his website to post here. I don't go over there raising hell with him.

a) Nobody has complained to ban anyone.
b) 75 thinks you're bat**** crazy just like everybody else.
c) Crazy is crazy - regardless of where you happened to be born.
d) There's not a "number of fellas taking over for Phil." Just me. I'm pretty sure I'm the only Mod/Admin left except for 8 times and Badger.
e) What is wrong with this place? Mirror. Check it out.

It gets pretty tiresome having you and vet constantly taking potshots at each other. It makes the board very un-fun for pretty much everyone. The difference though is that Howard has always been Howard. Same goober since day 1.

StoopTroup circa 2011-13 isn't anything like StoopTroup before that time. Somewhere around the OUI influx and the whole spek deal you went south. WAY south. Over the edge. Don't know what caused it, and don't care anymore. I've tried reasoning with you. You respond with bizarre attacks and posts that even Rainman couldn't decipher.

I've been a lot more patient with you than I should Greg. I defended you staunchly when the OUI idiots were after your blood. I showed a buttload of loyalty to a friend. You? Off into the wild blue yonder with the weirdest **** the innerwebs have ever seen. Bizarro stuff.

The only complaints I receive anymore about posters are about you. You make a lot of folks uncomfortable. It's like watching someone on TV embarrassing the hell out of themselves. Sometimes I'm even embarrassed for you.

I'm sure you're not getting any of this so I'm gonna stop here. I'll leave it at this: If you can't post without a reference to vet or me (open, veiled, or otherwise) then please don't post anymore. It'll be better for everyone.