PDA

View Full Version : The Johnny Football party doesnt stop

Pages : 1 [2]

colleyvillesooner
8/6/2013, 09:42 PM
Kirk herbstreit on CFB live: This is either the most outrageous story ever, or he's the dumbest person to ever play college football.

So awesome.

Soonerus
8/6/2013, 10:12 PM
Lack of institutional control...clearly...

SoonerLB
8/6/2013, 10:30 PM
The second best thing about this mess is that it is happening in the SEC, BRILLIANT!!! :D ;) :D

BajaOklahoma
8/6/2013, 10:45 PM
Does Uncle Nate met the criteria for an agent?
That would be enough to rule JFF ineligible.

CatfishSooner
8/6/2013, 10:54 PM
Lack of institutional control...clearly...

CLEARLY...

sooneron
8/6/2013, 10:58 PM
"CERTAINLY" ...

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/bob-stoops.jpg

cleller
8/7/2013, 09:52 AM
Peaked over on TexAgs, and it's kind of amazing how their tune has changed. From what I saw (and I didn't read a lot of comments), a lot of folks want him gone.

On top of that, they have minute by minute oversight and censoring of the posts going on. Any posts that really go after Johnny or delve into the scandals are deleted. Anyone questioning the censorship gets banned.

Its like a big Chinese middle school over there.

jkjsooner
8/7/2013, 10:06 AM
Here's a question I have. What kind of fool would hire Uncle Nate as Johnny's assistant? It sounds like Manziel's dad is about as dumb as he is.

Uncle Nate appears to have done nothing to keep Manziel in line. In fact all he seems to have done is help lead Johnny into one embarrassing moment after another. I'm pretty sure Johnny could f' up on his own without Uncle Nate's help.

It will be funny when the Manziel's finally realize that ol' Nate is the worst personal assistant imaginable and cuts that moron loose.

Manziel still has a chance to right the ship. I wouldn't bet on him but sometimes these things force people to grow up. Uncle Nate is done.

Pricetag
8/7/2013, 12:11 PM
How ironic is it that the news about Bomar broke on an A&M message board back in 2006, and now they're going through the same thing, but worse? At least it was sudden for us--they get to fret about it awhile before it all comes down.

SoonerPride
8/7/2013, 02:25 PM
I'm so glad Bradford was all class and not a jackass.

Lott's Bandana
8/7/2013, 03:03 PM
I'm so glad Bradford was all class and not a jackass.

Still is.

swardboy
8/7/2013, 04:51 PM
And Landry Jones

And Paul Thompson

And Jason White

And Nate Hybels

And Josh Heupel....you get the idea.

Mazeppa
8/7/2013, 07:42 PM
Tony Barnhart on Manziel-Newton parallels

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/tony-barnhart/23051942/manziel-newton-have-parallels-but-resemblance-only-goes-so-far

Mazeppa
8/7/2013, 07:52 PM
Here's an interesting take on the ncaa.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/8/7/4597340/college-football-needs-to-get-rid-of-the-ncaa-asap

jkjsooner
8/7/2013, 10:47 PM
Here's an interesting take on the ncaa.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/8/7/4597340/college-football-needs-to-get-rid-of-the-ncaa-asap

Dumb article written by a guy who doesn't like the rules because he doesn't understand the rationale for them.

The NCAA doesn't allow players to profit from their notoriety because it would open up a pandora's box. Boosters would quickly corrupt the system. High school players would quickly learn which schools have boosters willing to pay the most for autographs - and of course securing the autograph wouldn't be the point at all. It would just be a charade to get money in the player's hands.

You can't keep corruption in check without have a tight control. The NCAA understands this. I don't get why the media doesn't except for the fact that most are simple minded folks who can't see beyond the immediate issue to see the big picture.

Jacie
8/8/2013, 06:42 AM
When I read "forwhomthecowbelltolls" I thought it was an okie state board.

SoonerForLife92
8/9/2013, 01:02 AM
Dumb article written by a guy who doesn't like the rules because he doesn't understand the rationale for them.

The NCAA doesn't allow players to profit from their notoriety because it would open up a pandora's box. Boosters would quickly corrupt the system. High school players would quickly learn which schools have boosters willing to pay the most for autographs - and of course securing the autograph wouldn't be the point at all. It would just be a charade to get money in the player's hands.

You can't keep corruption in check without have a tight control. The NCAA understands this. I don't get why the media doesn't except for the fact that most are simple minded folks who can't see beyond the immediate issue to see the big picture.

I made an account simply to just agree with this statement. I completely DO NOT understand people who cannot use simple logic to understand long term consequences.... It is infuriating to see people say these types of things like in that article. Especially as a fellow student of these guys. I am a college student at OU and it amazes me all of the privileges these student athletes have. I had a class with a football player (he was a no-name and still is, who I could tell was not already well off like Manziel & family) who could not think of how much he spent on gas or food each week to write up a summary... because he had a card that payed for them both.

olevetonahill
8/9/2013, 06:26 AM
I made an account simply to just agree with this statement. I completely DO NOT understand people who cannot use simple logic to understand long term consequences.... It is infuriating to see people say these types of things like in that article. Especially as a fellow student of these guys. I am a college student at OU and it amazes me all of the privileges these student athletes have. I had a class with a football player (he was a no-name and still is, who I could tell was not already well off like Manziel & family)
who could not think of how much he spent on gas or food each week to write up a summary... because he had a card that payed for them both.

Ima call Bull **** on that statement.

Soonerfan88
8/9/2013, 10:24 AM
Vet, that's actually very possible. He said the kid didn't appear as well off as Manziel but that doesn't mean his family is destitute. If they provide him a card, he just swipes and goes without ever paying attention to the price because someone else is paying the bill. I work with college students every day and see this attitude a lot.

Unfortunately, that attitude is also what creates turds like Manziel. Someone else always takes care of it, no matter what they do. If you never suffer consequences, even small ones, you never learn that there are limits.

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 10:53 AM
I had a class with a football player (he was a no-name and still is, who I could tell was not already well off like Manziel & family) who could not think of how much he spent on gas or food each week to write up a summary... because he had a card that payed for them both.

I'm glad you agreed with me but please don't be saying that last part too much. ;-)

SoonerForLife92
8/9/2013, 01:01 PM
Ima call Bull **** on that statement.

Whether you think it's true or not does not change the fact that it happened. We all know these student athletes receive certain benefits such as food, housing, clothes, etc. With the football program being as successful as it is why does this have to be a bull**** statement? The class was called personal finance and that is what he announced for everyone to hear.

All I am saying is that as a student with these guys who already have incredible privileges, it is frustrating to see someone support that Johnny Manziel should be able to make money off of his annoying name when he and his family already have so much and he will be in the NFL in a short amount of time.

SoonerForLife92
8/9/2013, 01:02 PM
I'm glad you agreed with me but please don't be saying that last part too much. ;-)

Haha and why is that? Sorry new to the forum is there a rule I am missing?

sooner46
8/9/2013, 03:55 PM
Sooneroflife92

My son uses a card on my bank account without seeing what is in the account; does that mean he is committing a crime? No, If I thank he is getting out of hand I call him.

I believe what elovetonahill and jkjsooner are trying to say and I am not trying to put words in their mouths, forgive me if I am.

Is unless you have proof that something is actual wrong you should not make those type of statements. That rule applies whether we are on this broad, the classroom, on the job or anywhere.

I spend 45 years in QA and never once made a statement about a non-conformance unless I had proof.

Live is hard enough without wild statements.

SoonerForLife92
8/9/2013, 04:03 PM
Sooneroflife92

My son uses a card on my bank account without seeing what is in the account; does that mean he is committing a crime? No, If I thank he is getting out of hand I call him.

I believe what elovetonahill and jkjsooner are trying to say and I am not trying to put words in their mouths, forgive me if I am.

Is unless you have proof that something is actual wrong you should not make those type of statements. That rule applies whether we are on this broad, the classroom, on the job or anywhere.

I spend 45 years in QA and never once made a statement about a non-conformance unless I had proof.

Live is hard enough without wild statements.

Excuse me but when did I ever claim this kid is committing a crime? At the University of Oklahoma we use our student I.D. cards to buy food. We or our parents (or athletic scholarships) can allocate us "Bursar" points on our Bursar account which we use to buy food. This kid already gets free food and what not from his scholarship. I do not. Which is why it is frustrating to me seeing people make biased and uninformed arguments like in that article. These athletes already receive a lot. You guys are missing the entire point of what I am saying.....

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 04:28 PM
Haha and why is that? Sorry new to the forum is there a rule I am missing?

Well, if he's using a card provided by a booster or coach to buy things like gas then that would be an NCAA violation.

You didn't say that one of these was the case. From what you said the dude could have been using a credit card he got from one of those vendors you see around campus and hasn't yet learned that that money really does have to be repaid - with interest.

Excuse me but when did I ever claim this kid is committing a crime?

I don't think anyone is talking about anything criminal. It's just what you mentioned could possibly be an NCAA violation (not a crime) especially since you kind of hinted to the fact that the parents didn't have any money.

Anyway, my response to you was in jest. I think you possibly took that a little more seriously than I intended.

But, please, if you do hear about a player getting a credit card from a non-related OU fan, tell him to shut his mouth about it. ;-)

SoonerForLife92
8/9/2013, 04:34 PM
Well, if he's using a card provided by a booster or coach to buy things like gas then that would be an NCAA violation.

You didn't say that one of these was the case. From what you said the dude could have been using a credit card he got from one of those vendors you see around campus and hasn't yet learned that that money really does have to be repaid - with interest.

Anyway, I said that in jest.

I see. It might have been from his family than. Or it could have been his Bursar account card like in my post in response to sooner46, however that would not explain the gas so I do not know. All I know is they get free room, food, clothes, and that is MORE than enough for me to be frustrated a piece of **** like manziel who is already well off can be defended against breaking NCAA rules. As you said the rules are there for a reason.

Oh and when I responded to you earlier I did not mean it to sound sarcastic or rude or anything it was just an honest question haha.

sooner46
8/9/2013, 04:49 PM
Soonerforlife 92

It is correct you did not write word “crime” but way you stated it, you implied that he had. I believe that is the way the others took it, also. That is the reason they stated what they did.

You just told me at the end of your last post the real reason why you made the statement.

sooner46
8/9/2013, 05:04 PM
Soonerforlife 92

Please excuse me, I did mean NCCA violation and not a crime, even though they think of it as a crime.

Yes, I do believe they get enough, is it fair to them maybe not, but there has to be some type of control.

All, please forgive I usually try to be kind.

SoonerForLife92
8/9/2013, 05:42 PM
Soonerforlife 92

Please excuse me, I did mean NCCA violation and not a crime, even though they think of it as a crime.

Yes, I do believe they get enough, is it fair to them maybe not, but there has to be some type of control.

All, please forgive I usually try to be kind.

Okay I understand. I did not mean to imply the kid was performing NCAA infractions (even though I believe many in the SEC and elsewhere MIGHT do this type of thing) so forgive me. I was just trying to supplement my argument about how ridiculous people defending Johnny "football" are. Lets get back on subject with that jackass shall we?

agoo758
8/9/2013, 06:56 PM

Jackasses like you are the reasons the NCAA continues to have power. Do you really believe that the NCAA bans any kind of money for athletes because they truly care about the system not becoming corrupt? Do you really believe that the NCAA is a squeaky clean organization with no history of no wrongdoing? How would boosters corrupt the system anyway? By attracting more of the better players because they are able to give them some money?

Is your idea of a non corrupt system banning players for half a seasons for selling a jersey? (AJ Green). Or holding out on deciding a players eligibility for half a year for no reasons? (Jalen Saunders)

You literally have to be a shill for the NCAA or a single IQ'd dummy to come up with your conclusion.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/9/2013, 08:50 PM
Can we please get back to pointing and laughing at the explosive crash and burn of Johnny Manssierre?

8timechamps
8/9/2013, 10:30 PM
Can we please get back to pointing and laughing at the explosive crash and burn of Johnny Manssierre?

Yep!

http://gamedayr.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/johnny-manziel-autographed-football.png

Mazeppa
8/9/2013, 11:17 PM
beautiful!

SoonerForLife92
8/10/2013, 12:01 AM
Jackasses like you are the reasons the NCAA continues to have power. Do you really believe that the NCAA bans any kind of money for athletes because they truly care about the system not becoming corrupt? Do you really believe that the NCAA is a squeaky clean organization with no history of no wrongdoing? How would boosters corrupt the system anyway? By attracting more of the better players because they are able to give them some money?

Is your idea of a non corrupt system banning players for half a seasons for selling a jersey? (AJ Green). Or holding out on deciding a players eligibility for half a year for no reasons? (Jalen Saunders)

You literally have to be a shill for the NCAA or a single IQ'd dummy to come up with your conclusion.

Sorry to redirect the thread back at this. However when did jkjsooner ever claim the NCAA is a squeaky clean organization? He simply claimed they know what they are doing with this. They might make more money off of it sure, name me one business that DOESN'T act like this.

He gave a valid reasoning for why he believes the system would become corrupt with students going to schools that get them the most benefits from boosters. What response did you have to this that shows it would NOT become corrupt eventually? All you did was call him a "dummy".

His logic >>> yours.

agoo758
8/10/2013, 12:55 AM
Sorry to redirect the thread back at this. However when did jkjsooner ever claim the NCAA is a squeaky clean organization? He simply claimed they know what they are doing with this. They might make more money off of it sure, name me one business that DOESN'T act like this.

He gave a valid reasoning for why he believes the system would become corrupt with students going to schools that get them the most benefits from boosters. What response did you have to this that shows it would NOT become corrupt eventually? All you did was call him a "dummy".

His logic >>> yours.

He didn't make a point at all. He said was that players shouldn't make any money off of their name because it might start a slippery slope of some kind of corruption that no one can explain. That should never be a reason to wreck someones football career over a couple of autographs.

And yes, the NCAA does know what they doing. They refuse to stand by and let any athlete make any kind of money without any of it going in their pockets, but it is ridiculous, that they are doing this to try to protect anything but their own interests.

SoonerForLife92
8/10/2013, 02:06 AM
He didn't make a point at all. He said was that players shouldn't make any money off of their name because it might start a slippery slope of some kind of corruption that no one can explain. That should never be a reason to wreck someones football career over a couple of autographs.

And yes, the NCAA does know what they doing. They refuse to stand by and let any athlete make any kind of money without any of it going in their pockets, but it is ridiculous, that they are doing this to try to protect anything but their own interests.

As I recall he stated that students in high school would quickly find out which school's boosters are paying the most for autographs. Student athletes would start basing their decision of where to attend solely on that. All the pride of a powerhouse (such as Oklahoma) would go out the window. Say some less successful school or smaller school lately who is one of our rivals has its boosters pay more for autographs, maybe somewhere in the 50 k range. Now first off do you really want to lose OUR recruits because a matter of "oh i can get paid twice as much for an autograph at this school, my quality of education and coaching does not matter at all" ? And secondly does a student getting paid 50 thousand for an autograph seem right to you?

I am a health and exercise science major, I do not get paid what a athletic trainer does. People in med school do not get paid what doctors do. People in law school do not get paid what lawyers do. These kids are ALREADY getting paid by getting a free education along with free room, free food, free clothes, how is that not enough to you? As well as enough time in the summer to get a job. Just because the NCAA is in the wrong does not mean that college athletes should be able to get money for their autographs while in school. Once they are out AND/OR in the NFL when it is their PROFESSION, then by all means make all the money you want.

OU_Sooners75
8/10/2013, 02:26 AM

So enlighten us what you really think the NCAA is for and about?

The NCAA isn't the best of organizations and they are sketchy how they handle the same issues with different schools.

But the NCAA was formed to help protect amateurism and to help all schools keep a competitive edge.

There are rules in place that make t a violation of players earn money because of their notoriety.

You have for to look at it this way as well...the players may be there for 3-5 years. They may gain plenty of notoriety. But without that university giving them the chance, they wouldn't be any different than you or I.

OU_Sooners75
8/10/2013, 02:28 AM

He made some valid concerns. You're just to stupid to see them.

jkjsooner
8/10/2013, 07:04 AM
He didn't make a point at all. He said was that players shouldn't make any money off of their name because it might start a slippery slope of some kind of corruption that no one can explain.

What do you mean nobody can explain? The history of college football is pretty clear. Boosters will do whatever they can to get players into their schools. The only way to stop it and to maintain and somewhat level playing field is to make it very hard for boosters to do that.

Opening up a "legal" avenue for boosters to funnel money to players via autographs would open up widespread abuse. That's not some wild slippery slope argument that isn't based in facts. It's reality.

And there was the second less corrupt side as well. A guy like RG3 would clearly have more potential autograph seekers at Texas than at Baylor. If making extra money on the side is any concern at all to him, he's not going to go to Baylor. It's one thing to choose Texas because they have better facilities or because you'll play in front of more people. It's another to choose it because it gives you a higher financial ceiling.

That should never be a reason to wreck someones football career over a couple of autographs.

If it happened, the NCAA did not wreck Johnny Football's career. Johnny Football wrecked his career. He knew the rules going in and he knew the consequences. Even if the rule was complete and utter B.S., he has to be smart enough to do what is in his long term best interest. If he doesn't do that then he has to look in the mirror for blame.

it is ridiculous, that they are doing this to try to protect anything but their own interests.

The NCAA is an umbrella organization of universities. And of course they're trying to protect their own interests. It is in the best interest of the NCAA for all teams within a division to be on a fairly level playing field. That is their interest.

If they were simply acting out of greed, then please tell me why they wouldn't let a kid sell his autographs? They're not making money off the kid's autograph and allowing a kid to sell his own autographs doesn't interfere with any avenue of revenue that they have.

College football is not without problems. However, the biggest area of corruption is between the schools, conferences, and bowls. The bowls are in collusion with school administrators to protect the bowl system. Administrators get the lavish vacations yearly in exchange for their support of the bowl system. But the ironic thing is that that happens pretty much outside of the realm of the umbrella organization we call the NCAA.

I'd love to see players get stipends to make up for the fact that they're spending so much time during the season in their sports that they can't hold other jobs and also because it's hard to get clearance to have a job because that part is often corrupted by boosters as well (Big Red Sports).

I'd even go so far as to let kids sell autographs up to some maximum dollar amount. The amount would have to be low enough so that the playing field remains level. I'd imagine the NCAA is worried about how hard it would be to set up such rules that met these objectives and to monitor the situation.

jkjsooner
8/10/2013, 07:22 AM
The funny thing is that Jay Bilas went on a rant about free market and how every other sporting organization uses free market principles to secure and reward players.

I guess Jay Bilas has never heard of professional sports drafts, anti-trust exemptions, and salary caps. There is nothing free market about these things. And just like rules in college sports, each of these exist to maintain a level playing field.

jkjsooner
8/10/2013, 07:29 AM
agoo, I bet you also argue that players should be able to work (or not work) jobs at whatever rate the employer is willing to pay. After all, that system would never be corrupted. Right?

olevetonahill
8/10/2013, 09:26 AM
Vet, that's actually very possible. He said the kid didn't appear as well off as Manziel but that doesn't mean his family is destitute. If they provide him a card, he just swipes and goes without ever paying attention to the price because someone else is paying the bill. I work with college students every day and see this attitude a lot.

Unfortunately, that attitude is also what creates turds like Manziel. Someone else always takes care of it, no matter what they do. If you never suffer consequences, even small ones, you never learn that there are limits.

Ok I read it that he was Implying "Someone else" (Like a Booster er the school itself) was supplying the card.
I agree a family member could easily provide this.

jkjsooner
8/10/2013, 10:09 AM
agoo, I want to give you one example to illustrate a couple of points: 1) I don't always agree with decisions in NCAA makes and 2) these decisions have to be made with the bigger picture in mind.

I'm not sure if you remember Jeremy Bloom. He was a world class mogul skier and a football player at Colorado.

Just like any world class skier, Bloom had endorsement offers. These offers were strictly related to his success as a skier. Bloom petitioned the NCAA to be allowed to take endorsements and still retain eligibility to play college football. Ultimately the NCAA denied his request.

The NCAA knew full well that Bloom's endorsements in no way related to the fact he played football at Colorado. Nevertheless they denied his ability to profit off of his name.

I don't fully agree with this decision. I personally think the NCAA should have given Bloom and exception.

That being said, I understand the rationale behind the NCAA's decision. They weren't trying to be vindictive towards Bloom. They were worried about the unintended consequences of of the precedent that they would have set had they allowed Bloom to take endorsements. Even though Bloom's case was clear cut, the next one might not be. Maybe the next guy is an okay skier who may or may not get endorsements on his skiing ability alone.

If the NCAA accepted Bloom's petition, they would have to put themselves in a position to start judging the merit of other's endorsement offers. That's a tricky business that they don't want to be in. I don't fully disagree with them for taking that stance even though I wish they could have made an exception in such a clear cut case.

As it turns out Bloom left CU and did take the endorsements and later played some in the NFL.

I know you're going to say let Bloom profit on his celebrity including his celebrity as a football player. But that's kind of off topic of the point I'm making here. The point I'm making is that whenever the NCAA makes a decision you can't just look at the facts in that particular case but instead have to look at the big picture. If you just look at the facts in Bloom's case it seems like the NCAA is vindictive. When you back away and analyze the bigger picture the actions of the NCAA become much more understandable - even if you don't agree with them.

Ruf/Nek7
8/10/2013, 03:21 PM
I am with JK on this one. NCAA was established for the soul reason to maintain amateurism in college sports. I am very frustrated with the NCAA from time to time but it is needed in order to function with half *** efficiency. I just do not see any other option at this point.

bluedogok
8/10/2013, 08:17 PM
agoo, I want to give you one example to illustrate a couple of points: 1) I don't always agree with decisions in NCAA makes and 2) these decisions have to be made with the bigger picture in mind.

I'm not sure if you remember Jeremy Bloom. He was a world class mogul skier and a football player at Colorado.

Just like any world class skier, Bloom had endorsement offers. These offers were strictly related to his success as a skier. Bloom petitioned the NCAA to be allowed to take endorsements and still retain eligibility to play college football. Ultimately the NCAA denied his request.

The NCAA knew full well that Bloom's endorsements in no way related to the fact he played football at Colorado. Nevertheless they denied his ability to profit off of his name.

I don't fully agree with this decision. I personally think the NCAA should have given Bloom and exception.

That being said, I understand the rationale behind the NCAA's decision. They weren't trying to be vindictive towards Bloom. They were worried about the unintended consequences of of the precedent that they would have set had they allowed Bloom to take endorsements. Even though Bloom's case was clear cut, the next one might not be. Maybe the next guy is an okay skier who may or may not get endorsements on his skiing ability alone.

If the NCAA accepted Bloom's petition, they would have to put themselves in a position to start judging the merit of other's endorsement offers. That's a tricky business that they don't want to be in. I don't fully disagree with them for taking that stance even though I wish they could have made an exception in such a clear cut case.

As it turns out Bloom left CU and did take the endorsements and later played some in the NFL.

I know you're going to say let Bloom profit on his celebrity including his celebrity as a football player. But that's kind of off topic of the point I'm making here. The point I'm making is that whenever the NCAA makes a decision you can't just look at the facts in that particular case but instead have to look at the big picture. If you just look at the facts in Bloom's case it seems like the NCAA is vindictive. When you back away and analyze the bigger picture the actions of the NCAA become much more understandable - even if you don't agree with them.
That was where the NCAA had a "disconnect" with how sports outside of the typical US sports leagues like skiing pay their stars, endorsement money and sponsorship is how those guys make a living. Skiers don't have a contract with the Dodgers like Cedric Benson did when he decided to quit baseball to play football but yet that was OK because he had already made his baseball money before declaring for football. Most couldn't live off a US Skiing stipend and travel funds without some endorsement money. The NCAA screwed Bloom because his sport didn't meet their narrow definition.

jkjsooner
8/11/2013, 11:37 AM
That was where the NCAA had a "disconnect" with how sports outside of the typical US sports leagues like skiing pay their stars, endorsement money and sponsorship is how those guys make a living. Skiers don't have a contract with the Dodgers like Cedric Benson did when he decided to quit baseball to play football but yet that was OK because he had already made his baseball money before declaring for football. Most couldn't live off a US Skiing stipend and travel funds without some endorsement money. The NCAA screwed Bloom because his sport didn't meet their narrow definition.

Clearly you missed my point which was that for simplicity and fairness sometimes the NCAA has to set some rules that can't be amended on a case by case basis.

I'm sure the NCAA was well versed on how things work in what we call Olympic sports. I think most people here know that endorsements are key for most athletes competing in these types of sports. If the NCAA didn't know this already (which I doubt), I'm sure Bloom's lawyers made it very clear.

I'd bet the guys who ruled on the Bloom case probably each wished that Bloom could play college football with his skiing endorsements.

The problem is that they had to look at the big picture and what precedent they may be setting if they allowed Bloom to have endorsements. What about the next guy who's a Heisman candidate and also dabbles a little in team handball. Would the NCAA be able to say, "We know that Adidas wants you because of your fame on the football field and saying the endorsement was for team handball is just a disguise to circumvent the rules"? Or what about a guy who is really good at football and pretty good at an Olympic sport and the advertising company wants to portray him as an all around sports star - sort of a poor man's Bo Jackson - without having to ever mention football since they know audience would make the connection to football?

The NCAA clearly doesn't want to put themselves in the position where they have to evaluate the true merit of someone's endorsement offer. That could be a really messy business and open themselves up for all sorts of criticism and lawsuits.

Sometimes you just have to have rules that have to be implemented in all cases.

And this gets back to autographs. If you allowed kids to sell autographs there would have to be rules in place. I don't think anyone wants Phil Knight or T Boone Pickens securing players by paying obscene amounts for autographs. Then the NCAA would have to set on some caps (which I could go for) or require some fair market value. Again, the NCAA doesn't want to be in the business of determining what is and what is not fair market value for some guy's autograph.

ashley
8/11/2013, 01:08 PM

Finally someone sees the big picture.

bluedogok
8/11/2013, 01:29 PM
Clearly you missed my point which was that for simplicity and fairness sometimes the NCAA has to set some rules that can't be amended on a case by case basis.

I'm sure the NCAA was well versed on how things work in what we call Olympic sports. I think most people here know that endorsements are key for most athletes competing in these types of sports. If the NCAA didn't know this already (which I doubt), I'm sure Bloom's lawyers made it very clear.

I'd bet the guys who ruled on the Bloom case probably each wished that Bloom could play college football with his skiing endorsements.

The problem is that they had to look at the big picture and what precedent they may be setting if they allowed Bloom to have endorsements. What about the next guy who's a Heisman candidate and also dabbles a little in team handball. Would the NCAA be able to say, "We know that Adidas wants you because of your fame on the football field and saying the endorsement was for team handball is just a disguise to circumvent the rules"? Or what about a guy who is really good at football and pretty good at an Olympic sport and the advertising company wants to portray him as an all around sports star - sort of a poor man's Bo Jackson - without having to ever mention football since they know audience would make the connection to football?

The NCAA clearly doesn't want to put themselves in the position where they have to evaluate the true merit of someone's endorsement offer. That could be a really messy business and open themselves up for all sorts of criticism and lawsuits.

Sometimes you just have to have rules that have to be implemented in all cases.

And this gets back to autographs. If you allowed kids to sell autographs there would have to be rules in place. I don't think anyone wants Phil Knight or T Boone Pickens securing players by paying obscene amounts for autographs. Then the NCAA would have to set on some caps (which I could go for) or require some fair market value. Again, the NCAA doesn't want to be in the business of determining what is and what is not fair market value for some guy's autograph.
If they "want it to be easy" then just don't allow players from other sports to have NCAA eligibility, someone who signed a minor league baseball contract shouldn't be able to play football because that have already signed a "professional sports contract" prior to attempting to play an NCAA sport. If you want to play professional baseball or ski professionally then you lose any claim to amateur status in the NCAA bylaws. Right now the NCAA claim of "amateur" is a fallacy.

Sabanball
8/11/2013, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=jkjsooner;3717329]This is wrong on two accounts.

First, the NCAA is not a court of law and the evidence they require does not have to meet the standards in a court of law. If one of these brokers told the NCAA that they paid Manziel that would most likely be enough to declare Manziel ineligible. This becomes more relevant when you add in the circumstantial evidence.

Second, even if Manziel was not paid, he very likely technically broke NCAA rules. Here's the relevant part:

Note that part (a) does not require that Manziel be compensated. If he knowingly signed these autograph pictures with the intent that they will be sold by the broker, that could be interpreted as an NCAA violation.

When a couple of guys from the UNLV team (maybe Larry Johnson and Stacey Augmon) appeared on an advertisement they were briefly declared ineligible. This was after it was assumed that they were not paid for doing so. Only after they made a convincing argument that they didn't know that their images were used for commercial reasons were they reinstated. The NCAA rules do mention that a player will not be held accountable if they did not realize that their image was to be used in such a manner but the player and school must take proactive steps to have the advertisements removed.

Manziel will have to make an argument that not only did he not get paid but that he had no idea these autographs were to be used in a commercial endeavor. That second part seems implausible unless he can argue that he really thought they were for charity.

The NCAA could declare Manziel ineligible knowing that he probably took money but not citing this as the reason (for legal purposes).

All that being said, I think 10 years ago Manziel would have been declared ineligible. It seems the NCAA has lost most of its will to go after these cases so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens.[/QUOTE

All good points that I would agree with, but recent behavior is the best indicator of future action. You leave out the fact that Mark Emmert's NCAA has used its wide discretion in recent yrs in determining whether or not they aggressively go after someone. It almost seems like it depends what kind of mood they are in. Just look at the disparity between what they did to USC, Ohio St, and Miami. Hell, the canes were arguably guilty of the most agregious violations and they skated, with an apology from the ncaa to boot because of an investigation process error.

jkjsooner
8/12/2013, 08:17 AM
If they "want it to be easy" then just don't allow players from other sports to have NCAA eligibility, someone who signed a minor league baseball contract shouldn't be able to play football because that have already signed a "professional sports contract" prior to attempting to play an NCAA sport. If you want to play professional baseball or ski professionally then you lose any claim to amateur status in the NCAA bylaws. Right now the NCAA claim of "amateur" is a fallacy.

Why would that be necessary? As far as I know allowing guys to play professional baseball hasn't caused a lot of issues where the NCAA has to make a case by case ruling on the merit of a guy's contract.

I haven't seen or heard of any cases where some booster corrupted the system and placed an undeserving player into a minor league team nor has the NCAA had to rule on things that are outside of their scope (like whether a guy is really a good baseball player).

If the system got corrupted then I think the NCAA would step in and force guys into making a choice between professional baseball and college sports. Until that time we should give the players as much freedom as possible.

jkjsooner
8/12/2013, 08:29 AM
All good points that I would agree with, but recent behavior is the best indicator of future action. You leave out the fact that Mark Emmert's NCAA has used its wide discretion in recent yrs in determining whether or not they aggressively go after someone. It almost seems like it depends what kind of mood they are in. Just look at the disparity between what they did to USC, Ohio St, and Miami. Hell, the canes were arguably guilty of the most agregious violations and they skated, with an apology from the ncaa to boot because of an investigation process error.

I agree with this. I think the NCAA has set a very bad precedent over the last decade.

Of course Miami has skirted major NCAA infractions in the past as well. All those guys in the '80s were getting paid. They just happened to keep it secret until the NCAA's statute of limitations expired.

Manziel and A&M aren't out of the woods. When you take money from someone, they own you. This whole thing started because the brokers got mad at Manziel because the family forced their products to be removed from EBay. (How arrogant do you have to be receive payments for autographs and turn around and take action against the people who just paid you?) These same brokers might be putting pressure on the Manziel family for compensation as we speak.

I've thought that the Manziel's need to cut the piece of crap Uncle Nate loose. However, ol' Nate sort of owns Manziel too. If they cut him loose he might just spill the beans.

stoopified
8/12/2013, 09:53 AM
I can see buying all thletes a stipend of say $50 aweek but the whole idea of allowing them to sell autographs or signed memorabilia is insane.The booster spending arms race would explode.The cost of running college sports is already expensivepaying players or allowing them to be paid wold just to the burden and lead to the collapse of college amateur sports.

Personally I fail to understand how anyone is entitled to get paid for going to school and play a game.You are supposed to be trading atletics for education.Where does the sense of entitlemet come that says you NEED to be paid?

Seamus
8/12/2013, 10:54 AM
Where does the sense of entitlemet come that says you NEED to be paid?

The sh-itty parenting that is beyond pandemic today.

jkjsooner
8/12/2013, 02:39 PM
The sh-itty parenting that is beyond pandemic today.

Or the fact that too many of these kids have no plans of developing any sort of marketable skill outside of their sport.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/12/2013, 03:23 PM
This I lament... I remember my old football trading cards from the mid-60s that had the off season job the player had... Ray Nitschke work in a meat packing plant or some sort...

Skysooner
8/12/2013, 03:24 PM
I used to live near Roger Staubach back when he was with the Cowboys. He would mow his own lawn which is amazing considering the attitude of many of today's athletes. Roger made most of his money in auto dealerships after he retired.

jkjsooner
8/12/2013, 03:28 PM
I used to live near Roger Staubach back when he was with the Cowboys. He would mow his own lawn which is amazing considering the attitude of many of today's athletes. Roger made most of his money in auto dealerships after he retired.

I know times have changed but Staubach wasn't your typical NFL player even back then.

GDC
8/12/2013, 07:15 PM
Don Maynard was a plumber during the NFL off-seasons.

Sabanball
8/12/2013, 09:30 PM
Looks like the net is tightening around Johnny M.....ESPN reports Manziel signed over 4400 autographs for three brokers in three different states.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9562044/texas-aggies-qb-johnny-manziel-signed-two-more-sessions-sources

Scott D
8/12/2013, 10:45 PM
Autographed Manziel items have appeared for sale for months on eBay and at collector shows. But some eBay sellers have received notices from eBay informing them that they had violated eBay policy as reported by the "rights holder" and that their listings would be immediately removed. The eBay email was prompted by the law firm of J. Bennett White of Tyler, Texas, which represents Manziel.

"Items that include an individual's name, image, or signature without their permission may infringe their right of publicity and aren't allowed on eBay," the email said. Relisting the item would require reaching out to the rights holder through the law firm.

Yeah....he didn't know that signing hundreds of items for a single person was with the intent of that person selling those items :rolleyes:

SCOUT
8/12/2013, 11:01 PM

Not to derail, but Roger has been wildly successful in his commercial real estate business, not auto dealerships.

From Wiki:
On July 11, 2008, The Staubach Company was sold to Jones Lang LaSalle for $613 million.[11] Staubach and his children's trust will gross over $100 million from the sale by 2013. The sale provided an initial payment of $9.27 per Staubach share with additional payments due over the following five years for a total of approximately $29/share. Staubach took half of his first payment in Jones Lang LaSalle stock which was then trading at approximately $59.50/share.

swardboy
8/13/2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I remember Staubach making a presentation to a small college in north Dallas about some ingress/egress issues in the late 1980's. He was already highly successful by that point in real estate development.

I wonder if Manziel signed thousands of times with some sort of agreement that a percentage of sales would be paid to him at a "safe" later date?

jkjsooner
8/13/2013, 10:05 AM
Looks like the net is tightening around Johnny M.....ESPN reports Manziel signed over 4400 autographs for three brokers in three different states.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9562044/texas-aggies-qb-johnny-manziel-signed-two-more-sessions-sources

C'mon, man. He did it out of the kindness of his heart.

badger
8/13/2013, 10:12 AM
TexAgs.com football forum (http://texags.com/main/forum.topic.asp?forum_id=5)

sample thread titles:

Is there a statute of limitations?

Can JFF still get the hook with no proof?

JF killed 5,000,000 people in China

When did Johnny get that OVO tattoo on his wrist?

JFF took Dorthy Mantooth out for a nice seafood dinner...

Guys I figured out how Johnny got paid for the autographs!

Johnny should just come out...

Manziel scandal reminds me of when A&M left for the SEC...

Exactly what is the Manziel family problem with TAMU??

btw, Rice is A&M's first opponent. How crazy will the Ags go if Rice does a Johnny Football halftime show? :rcmad:

KantoSooner
8/13/2013, 10:19 AM
I can with complete honesty say that I never paid anyone what could be considered a bribe during over 20 years of business in China and SE Asia. (I entertained pretty epicly, but no bribes). It was weird to notice the similarities in the personalities of people who hinted or outright demanded bribes, though. They were all small timer punks. Even if they worked for big companies. The type of people who wanted the $1.000 right now and were willing to throw away a career worth hundreds of times that to get it. I fear Johnny Cash falls into that category. Just really poor impulse control.

jkjsooner
8/13/2013, 10:58 AM

Stuff like this could end up bringing down Manziel. I don't know if they have yet but I'm sure the NCAA wants to interview Manziel and they'll ask questions about how many of these sessions Manziel took part in. If Manziel lies then I'd bet that could be grounds to declare him ineligible.

jkjsooner
8/13/2013, 11:00 AM
TexAgs.com football forum (http://texags.com/main/forum.topic.asp?forum_id=5)

btw, Rice is A&M's first opponent. How crazy will the Ags go if Rice does a Johnny Football halftime show? :rcmad:

Funny how Ags present themselves as being a school where honor is the most important aspect yet their fans are looking to see if there is any loophole to keep Manziel on the field.

Scott D
8/13/2013, 11:29 AM
Not to derail, but Roger has been wildly successful in his commercial real estate business, not auto dealerships.

From Wiki:
On July 11, 2008, The Staubach Company was sold to Jones Lang LaSalle for $613 million.[11] Staubach and his children's trust will gross over $100 million from the sale by 2013. The sale provided an initial payment of $9.27 per Staubach share with additional payments due over the following five years for a total of approximately $29/share. Staubach took half of his first payment in Jones Lang LaSalle stock which was then trading at approximately $59.50/share.

yeah but wouldn't Staubach be a special case in the same vein as former Spurs center David Robinson?

Wishboned
8/13/2013, 05:04 PM
And here comes the fallout...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9560188/louisville-cardinals-bar-fan-day-autograph-signings

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/um-hurricanes/sfl-johhny-manziel-autographs-change-miami-policy-20130812,0,6253814.story

badger
8/14/2013, 08:15 AM
And here comes the fallout...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9560188/louisville-cardinals-bar-fan-day-autograph-signings

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/um-hurricanes/sfl-johhny-manziel-autographs-change-miami-policy-20130812,0,6253814.story

Excuses, the lot of 'em... there's no NCAA rule against autograph giveaways, the players are probably just sick of signing their names repeatedly.

LOL especially at Miami... what a poster sponsorship, eh? Besides, has the NCAA ever ruled on the Shapiro sh!t? If not, the autographs are the least of their worries

badger
8/14/2013, 09:02 AM
Dez Bryant's take on the Johnny situation here. (http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/08/cowboys-wr-dez-bryant-goes-off-on-ncaa-would-be-mad-if-johnny-manziel-doesnt-get-suspended-.html)

And excerpt:

Bryant, who was suspended before his junior at Oklahoma State for lying to NCAA about a legal dinner with Deion Sanders, said he would be mad if Manziel wasn't suspended for receiving cash payments for signing autographs, as has been alleged in numerous reports of late.

"Hell yeah, I’ll be mad," Bryant said. "I will be mad. But I don’t want him to get suspended. I will be mad more at the NCAA on how they do things. I just feel like it’s not fair. This is something I have no problem talking about because I feel like somebody needs to say something to him and let it be known how they treat people is not right."

Jacie
8/14/2013, 09:17 AM
When a player the likes of Dez Bryant claims the moral high ground, it marks the end of civilization as we know it.

SoonerorLater
8/14/2013, 10:12 AM
I think this Manziel saga is nearing the end. Since all the NCAA would have to show is that he signed autographs and those autographs were meant to be sold. You don't have to be Columbo to figure this one out. To me this should already be open and shut.

birddog
8/14/2013, 10:40 AM
he'll be mad if he doesn't get suspended but he doesn't want him to get suspended.

KantoSooner
8/14/2013, 11:18 AM
he'll be mad if he doesn't get suspended but he doesn't want him to get suspended.

Dez didn't get a good grade in Formal Logic.

Either that or perhaps we've discovered a window into Dez' soul: he WANTS to be angry.

A very complex man...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/14/2013, 11:18 AM
I heard a blurb on local Houston news radio sports section about how TAMU was looking into back up QBs. Sounds like they may be preparing for life without JFF.

jkjsooner
8/14/2013, 02:46 PM

In his defense it's mixed emotions. It's common among humans.

Another perfectly logical way to view is it that he's going to be mad at the NCAA for their inconsistency if Manziel is made eligible but he's going to be happy for Manziel.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/14/2013, 03:24 PM
I heard a blurb on local Houston news radio sports section about how TAMU was looking into back up QBs. Sounds like they may be preparing for life without JFF.The thumping he put on OU, and their beating the Bamers in a regular season game last yr provided the atm's with the best recruiting help they could have gotten. That in addition to the leadership by Mack down at the cows' school, and the fact that Sumlin has two major things going for him: he's a good coach, and in case nobody noticed, it helps that he's black, er African American, or whatever the PC term is today, he's it.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/14/2013, 04:22 PM
More ATM trouble... Not JFF, Multiple "season ticket holders for life" are suing ATM all over the state because apparently with the stadium expansion, comes a renunciation of valid contracts people and ATM signed for paid for life season football tickets...they are having to rebid for their seats under some point/money system and ATM is getting sued all over the place for contract violation... More SEC, SEC! issue... One lady, spent $40,000 to the 12th Man Foundation for season football tickets and parking for life, among others perks granted at the time under contract...

bluedogok
8/14/2013, 11:31 PM

From Wiki:
At the firm in Austin we worked with Staubach/JLL quite a bit. They sold off the commercial real estate division but still have SRS Real Estate Partners (Staubach Retail Services) which specializes in retail. We dealt mainly in corporate office/warehouse projects.

badger
8/15/2013, 08:14 AM
More ATM trouble... Not JFF, Multiple "season ticket holders for life" are suing ATM all over the state because apparently with the stadium expansion, comes a renunciation of valid contracts people and ATM signed for paid for life season football tickets...they are having to rebid for their seats under some point/money system and ATM is getting sued all over the place for contract violation... More SEC, SEC! issue... One lady, spent $40,000 to the 12th Man Foundation for season football tickets and parking for life, among others perks granted at the time under contract...

Yeah, I read up on some TexAgs b!tching on the matter. A&M's athletics have had money trouble for awhile and the SEC was seen not just as a middle finger to Texas, but as a way to solve some of their money problems.

What were the highest face value tickets in the SEC last season? They were both at A&M. :rcmad:

Only Aggie could screw up a 10+ win season with a bowl victory and a Heisman. Only Aggie.

Landthief 1972
8/15/2013, 08:31 AM
Quite possibly the dumbest article defending Johnny Paycheck so far. I hope this is satire. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/reasons-we-should-all-be-rooting-for-johnny-manziel-right)

Jacie
8/15/2013, 12:29 PM
Quite possibly the dumbest article defending Johnny Paycheck so far. I hope this is satire. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/reasons-we-should-all-be-rooting-for-johnny-manziel-right)

Damning with praise, 1. We’re talking about the most exciting college football player since Michael Vick.

Hey, Michael's a great role model. He spent less than two years in the joint.

badger
8/15/2013, 12:42 PM
"Manziel disease" (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9568868/johnny-manziel-disease-talk-ok-good-lesson-jameis-winston-says-jimbo-fisher)

lol :rcmad:

KantoSooner
8/15/2013, 12:50 PM
Damning with praise, 1. We’re talking about the most exciting college football player since Michael Vick.

Hey, Michael's a great role model. He spent less than two years in the joint.

Careful now. With Vick's behavior after getting out, I'd put him ethically head and shoulders above Johnny at the moment.

8/15/2013, 01:17 PM
Careful now. With Vick's behavior after getting out, I'd put him ethically head and shoulders above Johnny at the moment.So, for johnny hymen to match up with Vick, he'll need to do his time in the pokey, then sign no more autographs, nor run any dog fighting situmations.

KantoSooner
8/15/2013, 01:29 PM
adjust your outrage. It was a joke.

Seriously, though, Vick, in unemotional terms; 1) Did a wrong, 2) Paid the price, 3) Expressed remorse.

Johnny's arguably done #1. He has shown no hint of #'s 2 and 3.

So, yeah, looked at that way, he's behind Vick in the moral computation.

8/15/2013, 01:43 PM
adjust your outrage. It was a joke.

Who ya talking to?

KantoSooner
8/15/2013, 02:00 PM
i was talking to you. It sounded like outrage to me. My apologies if it wasn't. It was meant in the spirit of demeaning Johnny, not attacking you.

jkjsooner
8/15/2013, 02:12 PM
Here's a hypothetical...

Let's say Manziel does play against Bama and A&M wins. Then sometime in the middle of the season it is determined that Manziel did take money and A&M has to vacate that win.

Would those in power (Harris and coach's polls) treat Bama as if they had no loss? Would the computers be required to treat the A&M game as either a win or not applicable?

I personally don't feel that that should be the case. It's on thing adjusting the record book but another acting like a loss on the field was not a loss.

When we lost in 2004/5 against USC we didn't deserve the national title no matter how many USC players were declared ineligible. I'd say that even if the score was close.

KantoSooner
8/15/2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, Kevin Sumlin's life is complicated right now.

badger
8/15/2013, 02:43 PM
Would those in power (Harris and coach's polls) treat Bama as if they had no loss?

Hell, they treated Bama like they had no losses in 2011 or 2012. Why would 2013 be any different

UNDEFEATED BAMMER NAT'L CHAMPS FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME! rolllllllllllllllllllllllll tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

8/15/2013, 03:08 PM
i was talking to you. It sounded like outrage to me. My apologies if it wasn't. It was meant in the spirit of demeaning Johnny, not attacking you.Naw, I was just saying Vick has done pokey time AND sucked up to the PC crowd, and J. Hymen hasn't yet done either, FWIW.

jkjsooner
8/15/2013, 03:59 PM
Naw, I was just saying Vick has done pokey time AND sucked up to the PC crowd, and J. Hymen hasn't yet done either, FWIW.

What do you mean by "sucked up to the PC crowd"? I hope you're not talking about apologizing for being cruel to dogs. I don't think that's a PC issue.

Why must everything you post include some political angle to it? I've never met anyone who uses almost ever post on a football board to make some type of political statement...

Scott D
8/15/2013, 04:15 PM
there's nothing political about his dislike of Notre Dame.

8/15/2013, 06:05 PM
What do you mean by "sucked up to the PC crowd"? I hope you're not talking about apologizing for being cruel to dogs. I don't think that's a PC issue.

Why must everything you post include some political angle to it? I've never met anyone who uses almost ever post on a football board to make some type of political statement...We can almost always count on you to complain about my politics. Apparently Vick didn't really worry about dogs, esp pit bulls, as much as you and some folks do. It wasn't good enough that he quit fighting the dogs. He had to publicly renounce his past actions. (to make the PC folks happy) Glad to clarify it for you.

8/15/2013, 06:07 PM
there's nothing political about his dislike of Notre Dame.Yeah, I was raised Catholic, and have some French AND considerable Irish blood, but somehow have the same love for Notre Dame that I do for the New York Yankees.

Flagstaffsooner
8/15/2013, 06:32 PM
The latest...http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2013/08/15/texas-am-code-autograph-dealers-johnny-manziel/2661331/

There may be another disincentive for autograph dealers who allegedly paid Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel for his signature to cooperate with the NCAA.
PREVIOUSLY: Texas A&M alters autograph plan (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2013/08/14/texas-am-new-autograph-policy-johnny-manziel/2658227/)
TIMELINE: Manziel's wild offseason (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/05/breakdown-texas-am-quarterback-johnny-manziels-2013-offseason-antics/2620435/)
A statute passed in Texas in 1987 says that "a person who violates a rule of a national collegiate athletic association adopted by this chapter is liable for damages in an action brought by an institution if (1) the person knew or reasonably should have know that a rule was violated; and (2) the violation of the rule is a contributing factor to disciplinary action taken by the national collegiate athletic association against the institution or a student at the institution."
That portion of Section 131.004 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code was pointed out Thursday in a blog post (http://www.bgsfirm.com/college-sports-law-blog/johnny-football-autograph-hounds-and-an-obscure-texas-statute) by Christian Dennie (http://www.bgsfirm.com/attorney-profiles/christian-s-dennie), a Fort Worth-based attorney with Barlow, Garsek & Simon.
Thus, an autograph dealer who aided Manziel in breaking NCAA rules could be targeted for damages by Texas A&M.
Dennie wrote that according to the code, the Aggies' damages could include "lost television revenues and lost ticket sales of regular season and post-season athletic events" and "reasonable attorney's fees and costs." Such losses are possible if Manziel, the reigning Heisman trophy winner and a key to Texas A&M's football hopes this season, is prevented from competing for Aggies for part or all of the season.
Manziel is alleged to have signed thousands of autographs for dealers in three states since fall 2012. Accepting payment for such acts would violate NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1, prohibits student-athletes from accepting money for promotion or sale of a product or service.
Dan Uthman, a national college football reporter for USA TODAY Sports, is on Twitter @DanUthman (https://twitter.com/danuthman).

I say unenforsable as the offense did not occur in tex-a$$. What you say Phil and other attorneys?

olevetonahill
8/15/2013, 06:54 PM
The latest...http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2013/08/15/texas-am-code-autograph-dealers-johnny-manziel/2661331/

There may be another disincentive for autograph dealers who allegedly paid Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel for his signature to cooperate with the NCAA.
PREVIOUSLY: Texas A&M alters autograph plan (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2013/08/14/texas-am-new-autograph-policy-johnny-manziel/2658227/)
TIMELINE: Manziel's wild offseason (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/05/breakdown-texas-am-quarterback-johnny-manziels-2013-offseason-antics/2620435/)
A statute passed in Texas in 1987 says that "a person who violates a rule of a national collegiate athletic association adopted by this chapter is liable for damages in an action brought by an institution if (1) the person knew or reasonably should have know that a rule was violated; and (2) the violation of the rule is a contributing factor to disciplinary action taken by the national collegiate athletic association against the institution or a student at the institution."
That portion of Section 131.004 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code was pointed out Thursday in a blog post (http://www.bgsfirm.com/college-sports-law-blog/johnny-football-autograph-hounds-and-an-obscure-texas-statute) by Christian Dennie (http://www.bgsfirm.com/attorney-profiles/christian-s-dennie), a Fort Worth-based attorney with Barlow, Garsek & Simon.
Thus, an autograph dealer who aided Manziel in breaking NCAA rules could be targeted for damages by Texas A&M.
Dennie wrote that according to the code, the Aggies' damages could include "lost television revenues and lost ticket sales of regular season and post-season athletic events" and "reasonable attorney's fees and costs." Such losses are possible if Manziel, the reigning Heisman trophy winner and a key to Texas A&M's football hopes this season, is prevented from competing for Aggies for part or all of the season.
Manziel is alleged to have signed thousands of autographs for dealers in three states since fall 2012. Accepting payment for such acts would violate NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1, prohibits student-athletes from accepting money for promotion or sale of a product or service.
Dan Uthman, a national college football reporter for USA TODAY Sports, is on Twitter @DanUthman (https://twitter.com/danuthman).

I say unenforsable as the offense did not occur in tex-a$$. What you say Phil and other attorneys?

They say Put 20,000 Bucks down as a retainer , they will study the situation at 600 per hour and get back to you when they need more money.

EatLeadCommie
8/15/2013, 09:25 PM

Sounds to me like Manziel is just as liable.

Scott D
8/16/2013, 09:23 PM
I was amused by aTm's president's comments yesterday. Me thinks he wouldn't want to explain to all of their other sports as to why they're no longer going to be offered at aTm just so he can pay the football team.

8timechamps
8/16/2013, 09:35 PM
Sumlin is no doubt earning his paycheck.

From where I sit, I can't imagine how Manziel starts the season (at the very least, until the NCAA make a decision). Of course Sumlin has the benefit of knowing exactly what's going on.

What I don't understand is why the original broker refuses to talk to the NCAA. Clearly Manziel knows who it is, so it's not likely Maziel would ever do business with the guy again. Seems that one broker talking to the NCAA would pretty much shut the door on this case, although I think the NCAA will probably find Manziel guilty of rules violations either way.

Scott D
8/16/2013, 09:42 PM
Sumlin is no doubt earning his paycheck.

From where I sit, I can't imagine how Manziel starts the season (at the very least, until the NCAA make a decision). Of course Sumlin has the benefit of knowing exactly what's going on.

What I don't understand is why the original broker refuses to talk to the NCAA. Clearly Manziel knows who it is, so it's not likely Maziel would ever do business with the guy again. Seems that one broker talking to the NCAA would pretty much shut the door on this case, although I think the NCAA will probably find Manziel guilty of rules violations either way.

What's funny is how 3 brokers have talked to the media, but they won't talk to the NCAA. Sumlin only knows what Bieber has told him, so it comes down to whether or not you believe that a manipulative liar would actually tell his coach the truth in a situation where he should clearly care about the team when he's shown that he mainly cares about himself.

8timechamps
8/16/2013, 10:42 PM
What's funny is how 3 brokers have talked to the media, but they won't talk to the NCAA. Sumlin only knows what Bieber has told him, so it comes down to whether or not you believe that a manipulative liar would actually tell his coach the truth in a situation where he should clearly care about the team when he's shown that he mainly cares about himself.

Yep, nobody should expect Manziel to do the right thing.

I've never really thought much about the autograph business, but now that I've started to learn more, it's a sleazy industry. There's about a 100% chance this isn't the first time a broker has paid a college athlete for autographs, and they know the rules. I guess expecting for the brokers to do the right thing is equal to expecting Bieber (nice work btw, I'm using that going forward) to do the right thing.

8timechamps
8/16/2013, 10:43 PM

By the way, nice sig!

Not only is Winston a stud athlete, he's apparently got a good head on his shoulders.

tycat947
8/16/2013, 11:02 PM
I was amused by aTm's president's comments yesterday. Me thinks he wouldn't want to explain to all of their other sports as to why they're no longer going to be offered at aTm just so he can pay the football team.

Yeah, wasn't impressed by his comments! Typical aggie!

Mazeppa
8/17/2013, 10:33 PM
Looks like aTm plans on starting johnny against Rice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/johnny-manziel-busy-texas-m-022602590--ncaaf.html

Mazeppa
8/17/2013, 10:48 PM
Johnny's a good kid, a good kid, a good kid, a really good kid, really!!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Aggie-Chancellor-defends-Johnny-Manziel-fires-shots-at-NCAA-081613

Mazeppa
8/17/2013, 10:58 PM
Ricky Williams blasts fellow Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel

By Nick Schwartz – August 17, 2013 at 2:57pm EDT
Bob Donnan/USA TODAY Sports

1998 Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams, who rushed for 75 touchdowns in his four years with the Texas Longhorns, knows a thing or two about media scrutiny. Williams led the NFL in rushing yards in 2002, but will likely be remembered for his off-the-field activities, multiple failed drug tests and admitted use of marijuana. Williams has since reformed as a college assistant football coach, and hopes to use his experiences to shape a new generation of players.
Given his history, it might come as a surprise that Williams is openly criticizing the character of 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, who is under investigation by the NCAA for allegedly selling autographs. Speaking to reporters during his introduction at the*University of the Incarnate Word, Williams pointed to Manziel’s checkered past.
Via Keye TV:
“You know once you win the Heisman Trophy, there’s going to be more attention on you,” said Williams. “You are probably not going to be able to get away with all the stuff you got away with before. To the media I would say, if the media did their research on who this kid was, nobody would be surprised.”

CatfishSooner
8/17/2013, 11:41 PM
who else kinda wanted to watch him play this season??

cleller
8/18/2013, 07:23 AM
This would be a good area for V-bets, as to whether or not Johnny plays....Is that Badger territory?

Personally, I think he never misses a snap. The NCAA system has become like our criminal courts. Slow, and completely toothless to the point the players (criminals) mostly ignore it.

tulsaoilerfan
8/18/2013, 07:29 AM
I wish he would just disappear cause i'm sick of hearing about him.

olevetonahill
8/18/2013, 08:07 AM
This would be a good area for V-bets, as to whether or not Johnny plays....Is that Badger territory?

Personally, I think he never misses a snap. The NCAA system has become like our criminal courts. Slow, and completely toothless to the point the players (criminals) mostly ignore it.

Not sure if Phil is going to set the Bookie Mod back up .

8timechamps
8/18/2013, 05:59 PM
who else kinda wanted to watch him play this season??

I'd like to watch him play this season. I very interesting in a couple of things; 1) will there be a letdown in play? 2) Can the SEC stop him?

There's no question the kid is an amazing player, so it'll be fun to watch not only him play but whether or not he can do the same things again this year.

Sabanball
8/18/2013, 07:09 PM
I WANT him to play at least through week 3. That way when we beat AM like a yard dog on 9-14 there will be no excuses by the aggies.;)

olevetonahill
8/18/2013, 09:00 PM
I WANT him to play at least through week 3. That way when they beat us like a yard dog on 9-14 it can be vacated when the NCAA says he was ineligible .;)

FIFY

Lott's Bandana
8/19/2013, 09:06 AM
I WANT him to play at least through week 3. That way when we beat AM like a yard dog on 9-14 there will be no excuses by the aggies.;)

It didn't take long for aggie to endear themselves with their new neighbors.

KantoSooner
8/19/2013, 09:53 AM
Aggie is aggie.

And will always be so.

badger
8/19/2013, 09:58 AM

My dear, we beat them 77-0 back in 2003 and they still had excuses afterward. :rcmad:

badger
8/19/2013, 10:47 AM
fyi --- the shaggybevo dick drawer has done his preseason preview.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8y5o0Byg5mg/UhBI0f1GGpI/AAAAAAAAA-g/4w_2wctqFGo/s1600/2013Preview3.png
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pKedFZdrExA/UhBI01eIe9I/AAAAAAAAA-s/EwlP3k1YoQY/s1600/2013Preview4.png
More (mostly NSFW) images here. (http://prevailandride.blogspot.com/)

KantoSooner
8/19/2013, 11:10 AM
That was awesomely funny. Thank you.

jkjsooner
8/19/2013, 12:10 PM
My dear, we beat them 77-0 back in 2003 and they still had excuses afterward. :rcmad:

Tell the whole story. We beat them 77-0 in less than 3 quarters. After that the officials ran the clock constantly and we just downed the ball.

What a joke their program is...

badger
8/19/2013, 12:23 PM
Tell the whole story.

I'm trying to make my posts shorter, but since you asked...

- I was among a group of band members that brought free drinks over to the Aggie visitor band after halftime, when we were up by more than 50. We apologized for how the game was going and they were very nice about it.

- Stoops and Franchione agreed to a running clock in the fourth quarter, which only stopped on timeouts.

- We took a knee to begin the fourth quarter, because we were close to scoring again.

- Stoops was so adamant that we not score after point No. 77 that he was wildly flailing his arm over and over in the air for our punt receiver to fair catch no matter what.

- Johnny Jolly, who begrudgingly also had a good preseason game for the Packers last week, infamously celebrated a tackle for loss during this dead fourth quarter period of running clock, knees in the redzone, etc. The TV announcers apparently circled the 77-0 scoreboard on the screen, then X'd his celebration out, emphasizing his very poor timing :)

In case my post is not long enough already, TexAgs' excuse afterward had to do with the initial Aggie drive, saying that if they only did X differently (not sure if it was go for it on fourth, land a big pass, or whatever), they would have had a whole different game and mindset. However, a majority were of the mindset that they did not get outscored or run out of time, but that they just simply lost.

sooner46
8/19/2013, 12:31 PM
That was a great game. The look on Franchione face was priceless.

olevetonahill
8/19/2013, 01:28 PM
Badg, Screw the folks who ran off at the mouth about yer postin, Be yourself. Yea you can get windy but hell so can the rest of us.

8/19/2013, 02:47 PM
Badg, Screw the folks who ran off at the mouth about yer postin, Be yourself. Yea you can get windy but hell so can the rest of us.Pay no attention to the hall monitors among us. They da debbil.

swardboy
8/19/2013, 03:21 PM
- I was among a group of band members that brought free drinks over to the Aggie visitor band after halftime, when we were up by more than 50. We apologized for how the game was going and they were very nice about it.

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

jkjsooner
8/19/2013, 03:27 PM
- Johnny Jolly, who begrudgingly also had a good preseason game for the Packers last week, infamously celebrated a tackle for loss during this dead fourth quarter period of running clock, knees in the redzone, etc. The TV announcers apparently circled the 77-0 scoreboard on the screen, then X'd his celebration out, emphasizing his very poor timing :)

Yep, other than the third quarter screen shot of Fran with the 77-0 score and time on it, that is the play I remember the most. Dude embarrassed himself. Forget the whole score thing, did he not realized that nobody was trying to block anyone? It was as if he thought he was Jadavean Clowney...

By the way, we beat Missouri 77-0 back in the '80s as well. Maybe if we beat Iowa State 77-0 they too can go to the SEC...

One other thing, when looking at that game I ran into this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHKBIuQdPuM

The most recent comment:

The class act university, Texas A&M, dedcides to call "mercy" on classless ou. Does ou ever show a class act on another opponent, nope...they need to be in the hall with texas tech....oh and get some academics while you are there.

I guess this idiot didn't remember 2003 and all the things we did to show mercy on them...

Breadburner
8/19/2013, 03:33 PM
Badg, Screw the folks who ran off at the mouth about yer postin, Be yourself. Yea you can get windy but hell so can the rest of us.

Especially some limp Dick Anus that goes by Bieberfever......

badger
8/19/2013, 03:41 PM
You all are very kind, but please don't derail a thread that bashes Texas A&M and its d00she QB. It's too much fun to Aggie-hate :rcmad:

In an effort to get this back on track, Texas' own Ricky Williams (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/ricky-williams-blasts-fellow-heisman-trophy-winner-johnny-manziel/)!

“You know once you win the Heisman Trophy, there’s going to be more attention on you,” said Williams. “You are probably not going to be able to get away with all the stuff you got away with before. To the media I would say, if the media did their research on who this kid was, nobody would be surprised.”

olevetonahill
8/19/2013, 03:55 PM
Especially some limp Dick Anus that goes by Bieberfever......

I thot it was a girl?

KantoSooner
8/19/2013, 04:08 PM
It's unclear there's a diff in this case.

olevetonahill
8/19/2013, 09:00 PM
It's unclear there's a diff in this case.

Well now that its been pretty much confirmed its Martin, There really isnt a diff is there

bluedogok
8/19/2013, 11:33 PM
Yep, other than the third quarter screen shot of Fran with the 77-0 score and time on it, that is the play I remember the most. Dude embarrassed himself. Forget the whole score thing, did he not realized that nobody was trying to block anyone? It was as if he thought he was Jadavean Clowney...

By the way, we beat Missouri 77-0 back in the '80s as well. Maybe if we beat Iowa State 77-0 they too can go to the SEC...

One other thing, when looking at that game I ran into this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHKBIuQdPuM

The most recent comment:

I guess this idiot didn't remember 2003 and all the things we did to show mercy on them...
That was a "name your score" day and the score could have easily been over 100.

Mac94
8/20/2013, 07:49 AM
That was a "name your score" day and the score could have easily been over 100.

Sadly, yup ... worst game I've ever seen.

Mac94
8/20/2013, 07:54 AM
In case my post is not long enough already, TexAgs' excuse afterward had to do with the initial Aggie drive, saying that if they only did X differently (not sure if it was go for it on fourth, land a big pass, or whatever), they would have had a whole different game and mindset. However, a majority were of the mindset that they did not get outscored or run out of time, but that they just simply lost.

You can always find a delusional poster on an internet board. Aggies, almost to a man, had one reaction to the 0-77 score ... overwhelming hatred for one coach Fran. Most Ags defended Stoops when some idiot at ESPN went off about running up the score. Few if any blamed Stoops and OU for the outcome of the game. Our focus was on our coach ... that was the day coach Fran began his way out the door in College Station.

Jacie
8/20/2013, 07:58 AM
It's not a big deal for Kirk Herbstreit to criticize off-season behavior, everyone knows he presents himself as ESPN's moral compass. But we have now seen the likes of Dez Bryant and the reincarnation of Bob Marley aka Ricky Williams dogpile on Johnny. It is not easy to cross the line in the eyes of those two guys. Truly he has brought shame on A&M, his family, the state of Texas, whatever.

prrriiide
8/20/2013, 08:55 AM
The look on Franchione face was priceless.

Yes. Yes it was.

http://oi56.tinypic.com/11l0tv7.jpg

badger
8/20/2013, 09:03 AM
overwhelming hatred for one coach Fran.
Our focus was on our coach ... that was the day coach Fran began his way out the door in College Station.

You are more reasonable than the average Internet Aggie, but I would question whether or not Texas A&M would pull the trigger on a firing if it didn't have such a convenient excuse (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3040891).

Recent history dictates that Aggies fire coaches for one reason: Not beating Texas. It happened to :rcmad:, despite him beating OU in consecutive seasons (boo, btw) and it happened to Sherm as well (the shaggybevo.com dick drawer did a very accurate depiction of Case McCoy herp derping his way to victory (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/2011TXRvw10.jpg) late, so Sherm 100 percent deserved the ouster after that).

However, Fran was just coming off a whorn victory when he resigned, and he also beat them the season before.

Mac94
8/20/2013, 09:13 AM
You are more reasonable than the average Internet Aggie, but I would question whether or not Texas A&M would pull the trigger on a firing if it didn't have such a convenient excuse.

The newsletter mess was the excuse to try and get out of the buyout in his contract. Fran at A&M was alot like Makovic at Texas ... despite some success at times they were both generally disliked by the respective fanbases. So the first sign of trouble ... for Makovic it was a losing season following back to back conference titles ... for A&M it was newsletter gate ... the schools moved to dump both men rather than stand with them.

Anyway ... this is a total derail of the topic of this thread, lol .... please resume the obsession with all things Johnny Football ;)

badger
8/20/2013, 09:19 AM
Anyway ... this is a total derail of the topic of this thread, lol .... please resume the obsession with all things Johnny Football ;)

Fiiiine... the top Google News return is...

Johnny Manziel is the ninth-best favorite for the Heisman Trophy (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-ninth-best-favorite-heisman-172155047.html)

15 to 1 odds. Here's the top 8:

Ohio State QB Braxton Miller 9/2
South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney 6/1
Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater, 9/1
Alabama QB AJ McCarron, 10/1
Oregon QB Marcus Mariota, 12/1
Georgia QB Aaron Murray, 14/1
Alabama RB TJ Yeldon 14/1
Clemson QB Tajh Boyd 14/1

If vBookie worked, I would totally start a vEvent, heh :rcmad:

Mac94
8/20/2013, 09:23 AM
No way Johnny wins the Heisman again ... even if we go undefeated and playing in the title game I think the media will push an alternative candidate. The media loves to build up and tear down. That said ... I don't think we go undefeated ... we go 10-2 or 9-3 ... good but not great. Of those guys ... if Bama does it again I think McCarron will get it almost as a lifetime achievement award.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/20/2013, 09:14 PM
If I were a soothsayer...I would say the chances are high that JFF is done... His folks are selling their colleyville house.

selling before the word comes down? (http://www.chron.com/homes/article/Manziels-put-College-Station-area-home-on-sale-4746135.php?cmpid=businesshcat)

The crash and burn has been epic, we'll see if he plays again.

bluedogok
8/20/2013, 11:11 PM
You can always find a delusional poster on an internet board. Aggies, almost to a man, had one reaction to the 0-77 score ... overwhelming hatred for one coach Fran. Most Ags defended Stoops when some idiot at ESPN went off about running up the score. Few if any blamed Stoops and OU for the outcome of the game. Our focus was on our coach ... that was the day coach Fran began his way out the door in College Station.
Most of the Aggies that I knew in Austin were ashamed more than anything after that game and did place the blame on Fran.

tycat947
8/20/2013, 11:25 PM
If I were a soothsayer...I would say the chances are high that JFF is done... His folks are selling their colleyville house.

selling before the word comes down? (http://www.chron.com/homes/article/Manziels-put-College-Station-area-home-on-sale-4746135.php?cmpid=businesshcat)

The crash and burn has been epic, we'll see if he plays again.

I think this explains it pretty simple. How many parents move to college with their kids??? Really??? What a great example of POOR PARENTING!!!

aurorasooner
8/20/2013, 11:53 PM
That was a "name your score" day and the score could have easily been over 100. I really miss the aggies, more specifically I really miss farking the aggies. There were some really funny aggie farks on our old fark board. I guess the Tiger-Droppings fark board is having all the fun with them now. Our old fark board would've had a field day with the ""Money-Badger.
I thought (and still think) that C. Klein deserved last year's Heisman Trophy and would have been a quality representative for that award. I'm not saying that JFF is not a good football player, he is, but he (and aTm) in the long run probably would've been better off, CFBwise, if Klein had won it last year, and he would've come in 2nd.

aurorasooner
8/20/2013, 11:59 PM
I think this explains it pretty simple. How many parents move to college with their kids??? Really??? What a great example of POOR PARENTING!!! Didn't Landry Jones folks move to Norman (or somewhere near Norman)? I thought I read somewhere when he was a Frosh, that they moved from NM to Okla. Could be wrong though.

tycat947
8/21/2013, 01:11 AM
Didn't Landry Jones folks move to Norman (or somewhere near Norman)? I thought I read somewhere when he was a Frosh, that they moved from NM to Okla. Could be wrong though.

Never heard that but maybe they did. A little sad if they did as well.

olevetonahill
8/21/2013, 01:20 AM
Never heard that but maybe they did. A little sad if they did as well.

Why? If My Kid was Playing for OU and I could afford itI'd Buy a house close by to be able to see more of what he was experiencing. The Practices the Games etc.

tycat947
8/21/2013, 01:23 AM
Didn't Landry Jones folks move to Norman (or somewhere near Norman)? I thought I read somewhere when he was a Frosh, that they moved from NM to Okla. Could be wrong though.

You are correct! Moved to OKC. Although Landry is a class act and evidently his parents did a very good job raising Landry, I don't really understand why parents would do this unless a child needed support or care to attend college IMO.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_13996833

TheHumanAlphabet
8/21/2013, 02:20 AM
tycat...not to flame, but I think there is a difference in wanting to support one's child and be close to watch the game and grooming the kid for certain expectations and being there to help manage things along and bask in the glory of the kid. Don't know about Landry's parents, but I think we know where JFF's parents are on this spectrum...

tycat947
8/21/2013, 03:58 AM
tycat...not to flame, but I think there is a difference in wanting to support one's child and be close to watch the game and grooming the kid for certain expectations and being there to help manage things along and bask in the glory of the kid. Don't know about Landry's parents, but I think we know where JFF's parents are on this spectrum...

There's no doubt about about JFF's parents, I agree. I just think when a child goes off to college, it's a time for growth for that child. I guess it happens more than I thought, or at least for athletes. I can understand parents wanting to see their child participate in the games but it would only be about 6 to 12 times a year. I guess I'm just thinking more along the lines of personal growth for the child.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/21/2013, 06:45 AM
Bradford's parents did it the right way.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/21/2013, 08:39 AM
You are correct! Moved to OKC. Although Landry is a class act and evidently his parents did a very good job raising Landry, I don't really understand why parents would do this unless a child needed support or care to attend college IMO.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_13996833

You ever been to Artesia, New Mexico?

I'd consider Lubbock an upgrade.

jkjsooner
8/21/2013, 10:05 AM
This is a good article. It's necessary since most of the media consistently gets this wrong.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/23237416/standard-of-proof-in-manziel-case-lower-than-you-might-think

Scott D
8/21/2013, 01:40 PM
the thing that scared me in that article is that Dan Beebe is now a NCAA investigator.

Mazeppa
8/24/2013, 10:29 PM
SEC coaches snub jff pick Aaron Murray first team. Could this have something to do with the kind of person jff is?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23265666/sec-coaches-vote-aaron-murray-first-team-all-sec

sooneron
8/25/2013, 09:35 AM
It appears that JFF's character was set long, long ago...

http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-the-manziels-conquered-america-1040593220

Lengthy read, but HOLEE ****! Class act that clan.

Ruf/Nek7
8/25/2013, 10:12 AM
It appears that JFF's character was set long, long ago...

http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-the-manziels-conquered-america-1040593220

Lengthy read, but HOLEE ****! Class act that clan.

I recently read an article from Dallas Morning News with much of the same information. Also, my wife is from Boerne (Just outside of Kerrville) and according to the in-laws, Manziels had run ins with the law there too. Apparently no one really like the kid until it was football season, and like the aggies, they tolerated him then.

badger
8/28/2013, 01:22 PM
no, it's not big red:
WXu6l2EVcG4

colleyvillesooner
8/28/2013, 01:57 PM
https://twitter.com/billyliucci/status/372794607634903042

Latest on Manziel? Per multiple sources, he'll be suspended for first half of season-opener versus Rice on Saturday.

What a ****ing joke if this is accurate.

badger
8/28/2013, 02:06 PM
pleasepleaseplease let rice band do a johnny halftime show

tycat947
8/28/2013, 02:24 PM

I would doubt the cultish, paranoid aggies allow the Rice MOB to do a halftime show after their 1973 show in Houston! When I lived in Houston and heard this I almost fell out of my chair! The U of H woman (her husband was an aggie) that told me didn't think it was funny that I laughed almost 20 years later!!!

In 1973 the Texas A&M Aggies took exception to a MOB performance which featured such typical MOB irreverence as Nazi-style goosestepping, turning the Aggie War Hymn into "Little Wooden Soldier March", and forming a fire hydrant while playing "Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?" in reference to the Aggie mascot Reveille.[6] After the game, the Aggies formed an angry mob outside Rice's own stadium, trapping the Owl band inside for hours until police dispersed some of the crowd and allowed the band to exit, transported by food service trucks. In the years after this now-infamous show, attention has been focused on the shot at Reveille, and that this was an attempt to mock the mascot shortly after her death; in fact it was no more than "poorly-aimed scat|alogical humor",[7] the mascot in question having been alive and present at the game.

Mac94
8/28/2013, 02:25 PM

Heard they aren;t coming ... don't know why though. figured they'd do a rousing version of "Johnny Be Good" or something. But sounds like no M.O.B. at halftime.

The first half will be interesting ... basically a possible preview of our 2014 offense since almost all our skill position players return next year.

Mac94
8/28/2013, 02:29 PM
tycat -

the M.O.B. performed at Kyle Field while I was a student in the late 80's and early 90's ... although that story is often told as part of Aggie lore, lol. One of many.

badger
8/28/2013, 02:30 PM
attention has been focused on the shot at Reveille, and that this was an attempt to mock the mascot shortly after her death

the 7th reveille just died apparently. if i had to the guess, Rice band wasn't welcome

if i also had to guess, Agg will be up 40 or so at half, making JF's entrance kind of... awkward? Short-lived? Pointless? zzzzz

stoopified
8/28/2013, 02:34 PM
Dusty and Teddy on KREF just read a bulletin say Johnny Football WILL BE SUSPENDED .......for 1/2 of 1 game.

badger
8/28/2013, 02:37 PM
Dusty and Teddy on KREF just read a bulletin say Johnny Football WILL BE SUSPENDED .......for 1/2 of 1 game.

Urban Meyer exclaims, "That punishment is too harsh!"

sooner_born_1960
8/28/2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the breaking news.

Salt City Sooner
8/28/2013, 02:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9609389/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-suspended-1st-half-season-opener-rice-owls

IamJacksScreenName
8/28/2013, 02:47 PM
i guess suspending him for the coin toss or opening kickoff wasn't an option..

REDREX
8/28/2013, 02:57 PM
Will he be available to sign autographs the first half ?

8/28/2013, 03:20 PM
pleasepleaseplease let rice band do a johnny halftime showI read your post before I saw who wrote it. There was NO doubt whose name i would see when I read the author.

8/28/2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the breaking news.heh

jkjsooner
8/28/2013, 03:32 PM
I understand that half game suspension for the minor violation of signing autographs that are intended to be sold.

What I don't understand is the NCAA closing the investigation. From everything I've seen, if a dealer decides to talk at a later date, the NCAA will no longer be able to go back and punish Manziel further.

I also don't understand why the NCAA assertively stated that Manziel did not take money. They sure as heck don't know that and there is plenty of circumstantial evidence indicating that he probably did take money. Why would the NCAA flat out claim Manziel's innocence?

It's almost as if the NCAA wanted this whole thing to go away. That's not how an enforcement arm of an organization is supposed to behave.

Now the question is, since the NCAA suspended Manziel and stated Manziel did not take money, are they going to suspend Clowney and the others for a half a game as well? We know that Clowney did exactly what the NCAA is claiming Manziel did - signed lots of autographs for brokers that he should have known were for resale.

Wishboned
8/28/2013, 03:41 PM
It's a good thing Manziel didn't lie about having dinner with Deion Sanders. Then he'd really be in trouble.

olevetonahill
8/28/2013, 03:58 PM
It's a good thing Manziel didn't lie about having dinner with Deion Sanders. Then he'd really be in trouble.

Heh

Wishboned
8/28/2013, 04:39 PM
Even their suspensions happen at SEC speed.

sooner46
8/28/2013, 06:02 PM
What a joke.

I do not want anyone to get hurt and I mean that. But in this case if Rice broke his leg, I could see looking the other way.

Slap on hand.

Curly Bill
8/28/2013, 06:39 PM
What a joke.

I do not want anyone to get hurt and I mean that. But in this case if Rice broke his leg, I could see looking the other way.

Slap on hand.

It would be karma, and well-deserved!

Sabanball
8/28/2013, 08:39 PM
http://youtu.be/WXu6l2EVcG4

SoonerForLife92
8/28/2013, 08:44 PM
http://youtu.be/WXu6l2EVcG4

Can't wait to see you guys smash him this year. This whole debacle disgust me but I'm actually glad he is playing.

8/28/2013, 11:41 PM
Can't wait to see you guys smash him this year. This whole debacle disgust me but I'm actually glad he is playing.Guess it wouldn't bother me if Johnny Hymen beat the bamers...again, and then got caught red handed in a burglary somewhere?

SOONER44EVER
8/29/2013, 02:44 AM
They cut back his pre-game meal too!

Scott D
8/29/2013, 05:24 AM
Only way this ever gets reopened is if an autograph broker ever gets any sense of doing what's right which I doubt will ever happen.

So basically he's suspended for a half because the NCAA can't have any hard evidence that he took money, but since he clearly had some sort of agreement that ended in him signing thousands of autographs for a handful of people and allowed them to profit off his likeness.

If that truly is the case, then he should have been suspended the minute his family and/or aTm were trying to trademark "Johnny Football"

jkjsooner
8/29/2013, 08:52 AM
Only way this ever gets reopened is if an autograph broker ever gets any sense of doing what's right which I doubt will ever happen.

Maybe some rich booster will pay the broker to talk. Give him a million and he'll spill the beans in a second.

Of course Manziel's attorney would question the motivations but if enough detail was given it probably wouldn't matter...

swardboy
8/29/2013, 10:52 AM
I wish I was creative so I could make stuff like this up.

PrideMom
8/29/2013, 11:01 AM
Too bad Texas A&M doesn't play Kansas State. They would even take a fifteen yard penalty by hitting him out of bounds. SOMEBODY will get to him sooner or later. What a shame to have NO CLASS!! He doesn't respect his team, school, authority, or the trophy he won.

MichiganSooner
8/29/2013, 01:03 PM
Will he be available to sign autographs the first half ?

Only for some spending money.

KantoSooner
8/29/2013, 01:29 PM
And he won't be signing any stinking receipts.

Capiche?

jkjsooner
8/29/2013, 02:32 PM
I'd love it if the NCAA tried to entrap Manziel. Have a guy acting like a broker and see if he can pay Manziel for autographs.

Normally I wouldn't be in favor of this sort of aggressive action on the part of the NCAA but in a case like this where we all damn well know Manziel was paid for autographs I'd be for it.

Mazeppa
9/1/2013, 06:37 PM
Manziel being the a$$ that he is.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/23417564/johnny-manziels-return-brilliant-play-tinged-with-stupid-moves

Wishboned
9/1/2013, 06:43 PM
Can we just change his name to Johnny Massengill?

Therealsouthsider
9/1/2013, 06:46 PM
...take away his parents money and he couldn't get a date to a prison cotillion

ss

sooner46
9/1/2013, 06:48 PM
He should be banded for what he did. That showed me he knows he did it and got by with it.

SoonerorLater
9/1/2013, 06:53 PM
"Johnny Manziel's return: Brilliant play tinged with stupid moves"

Title of the article pretty much say it all about everything that is Johnny Football

Mazeppa
9/1/2013, 08:22 PM
In your face ncaa.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23415774/texas-am-qb-johnny-manziel-autograph-in-air-against-rice

Curly Bill
9/1/2013, 08:29 PM
It is interesting to consider who looks the worse in the Little Johnny saga, and there are several good candidates:

Little Johnny himself for obvious reasons.
Kevin Sumlin who comes across as not being in control of his own program.
The NCAA who looks totally weak and ineffective.
Little Johnny's parents, particularly his old man, who look pathetic as parents.
aTm for allowing the worthless little turd to represent them, but I'd not expect more from them.

Little Johnny, the gift that keeps on giving! I'll be glad when he joins Adam and Craig James in seclusion with the dead hookers they always keep around them.

En_Fuego
9/1/2013, 08:54 PM
zt6lVvTukcY

En_Fuego
9/1/2013, 08:56 PM
EFnzhqAPIBU

Mazeppa
9/1/2013, 09:23 PM
It is interesting to consider who looks the worse in the Little Johnny saga, and there are several good candidates:

Little Johnny himself for obvious reasons.
Kevin Sumlin who comes across as not being in control of his own program.
The NCAA who looks totally weak and ineffective.
Little Johnny's parents, particularly his old man, who look pathetic as parents.
aTm for allowing the worthless little turd to represent them, but I'd not expect more from them.

Little Johnny, the gift that keeps on giving! I'll be glad when he joins Adam and Craig James in seclusion with the dead hookers they always keep around them.

As for who looks worse, I'd say "all of the above".

Curly Bill
9/1/2013, 09:46 PM
I just spoke to someone that knows some of his coaches from high school. They said he's a spoiled rich kid that his parents have always bailed out of trouble. Not that that isn't largely common knowledge! LOL

Mazeppa
9/1/2013, 11:26 PM
Can we just change his name to Johnny Massengill?

http://i42.tinypic.com/330h9h5.jpg

En_Fuego
9/1/2013, 11:52 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/330h9h5.jpg

Greatness !

En_Fuego
9/1/2013, 11:57 PM
All I got to say is. September 14 2013 ........ROLL TIDE

cleller
9/2/2013, 07:50 AM
All I got to say is. September 14 2013 ........ROLL TIDE

Would love to see them picking up Manziel in multiple pieces, with a sharpie stuck up his butt.

stoopified
9/2/2013, 08:57 AM
Can we just change his name to Johnny Massengill?Nqw,then he would be getting royalty checks for being a giant ******.

Lott's Bandana
9/2/2013, 10:44 AM
Announcer:

"Don't get Johnny mad, he'll find a way to get even."

Talking head:

"Johnny is good for football."

This isn't Muhammed Ali folks, this is a team sport. Sports media has turned into Entertainment Tonight, looking for the next Madonna material girl.

70sooner
9/2/2013, 09:03 PM
dunno if this link has been posted yet or not, but too flipping funny, I mean for real????

http://thejohnnyweknow.tumblr.com/

Statalyzer
9/3/2013, 01:55 AM
The first instance, all he said to the Rice player was "nice hit". The second time, Rice instigated the trash talk despite having just been scored on and losing by 3 scores; frankly, having somebody talk back and point at the scoreboard seemed rather appropriate.

Here's the thing: if instead of an A&M player, it was somebody from OU, Tech, UT, Baylor, etc, Aggies would be all over this pointing out how it proves their school has the superior code of ethics....

jkjsooner
9/3/2013, 07:47 AM
The first instance, all he said to the Rice player was "nice hit". The second time, Rice instigated the trash talk despite having just been scored on and losing by 3 scores; frankly, having somebody talk back and point at the scoreboard seemed rather appropriate.

Here's the thing: if instead of an A&M player, it was somebody from OU, Tech, UT, Baylor, etc, Aggies would be all over this pointing out how it proves their school has the superior code of ethics....

I don't care about a little trash talking and I don't know the details of the penalty but the autograph and money hand gestures were way over the line considering recent events. Manziel basically flaunted the fact that he got away with getting paid for autographs. The NCAA of old would not have taken that too lightly.

If I were A&M I wouldn't want Manziel inviting more scrutiny or flaunting the fact that he got away with what he did...

badger
9/3/2013, 08:11 AM
Probably NSFW (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--Mghk8dWoFU/UiOSi0VmCuI/AAAAAAAABDM/rOt3Va9OSEg/s1600/2013Week1-6.png) (it's the shaggybevo dick drawer again)

PrideMom
9/3/2013, 09:21 AM
If I were part of the Texas A&M offensive line, I would go to Manziel's room at two in the morning and beat the ...... out of him.

SoonerLB
9/3/2013, 10:04 AM
He seems to have an endless repertoire when it comes to adding tarnish to the Heisman, and I for one am getting some enjoyment out of the thought of Downtown Athletic Club members writhing in agony over their decision to hand said trophy out in such a haphazard fashion. :)

tycat947
9/3/2013, 10:27 AM
I love how the Aggie chancellor is a full fledged fan of Johnny Dipsh*t! Further proof that that institution is a bunch of cult worshipers!

badger
9/3/2013, 10:30 AM
By the way, Johnny wasn't made available to the media after the game and won't be (but his backup Joeckel will) available to media at the weekly Tuesday press conference.

My guess is that Sumlin uses this year to get away from crazy Aggie. Surely some major program will have a vacancy (hopefully not whorn)

Salt City Sooner
9/4/2013, 03:31 AM
Leno's take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyDKjKzS20g

Landthief 1972
9/4/2013, 09:14 AM
He seems to have an endless repertoire when it comes to adding tarnish to the Heisman, and I for one am getting some enjoyment out of the thought of Downtown Athletic Club members writhing in agony over their decision to hand said trophy out in such a haphazard fashion. :)

I am guessing it will be a very long time before a Freshman (hell, even a sophomore) wins the Heisman again.

Landthief 1972
9/4/2013, 09:15 AM
Leno's take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyDKjKzS20g

That was awesome. lol

badger
9/4/2013, 12:01 PM
http://i.minus.com/ivMru5L6c4NTr.gif

olevetonahill
9/4/2013, 12:11 PM
I am guessing it will be a very long time before a Freshman (hell, even a sophomore) wins the Heisman again.

What you havnt heard of this guy yet? Why hell one game behind him and He's already won it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--heisman-candidate-jameis-winston-plays-baseball-florida-state-025705602.html

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2013, 12:17 PM
What you havnt heard of this guy yet? Why hell one game behind him and He's already won it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--heisman-candidate-jameis-winston-plays-baseball-florida-state-025705602.html

LOL, I expected articles like this after watching this kid play Monday night. But regardless of his abilities, he already shows 100x more class than JFF.

badger
9/4/2013, 12:35 PM

So did Nebrasky's Tay Tay... he also had a daddy to match Manziel's. Poor Martinez. Competing for B1G championships just doesn't look as good on your resume as "S-E-C! S-E-C!"

En_Fuego
9/4/2013, 02:01 PM
FSU gettin a little love from the spin doctors.

tycat947
9/4/2013, 02:37 PM
http://i.minus.com/ivMru5L6c4NTr.gif

PRICELESS!!!

Scott D
9/4/2013, 04:28 PM

clearly David Ash is going to win it.

olevetonahill
9/4/2013, 05:20 PM
clearly David Ash is going to win it.

My Bad. Im so shamed fer not acknowledging him.

Mazeppa
9/6/2013, 10:56 PM
Posted September 06, 2013
Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin imitates Johnny Manziel’s TD*celebration
By Zac Ellis
Just when we thought that football might actually take over as the subject of any headlines about Johnny Manziel, the Aggies’ quarterback kept the narrative on his behavior with some colorful on-field antics in last week’s win over Rice. A&M coach Kevin Sumlin wasn’t a huge fan of Manziel’s actions, but it seems that university president R. Bowen Loftin sees things differently.
Aggies’ fan Douglas Chipponeri tweeted a photo on Thursday of Loftin imitating Manziel’s money-fingers touchdown celebration. Chipponeri’s tweet said, “This is why I love @aggieprez.” Gotta love Loftin’s sense of humor.

Mazeppa
12/26/2013, 09:48 PM
enjoy the spotlight johnny foosball, cause it's getting dimmer and dimmer everyday.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/johnny-manziel-went-clubbing-in-atlanta/