PDA

View Full Version : NCAA want to eject players that "target"...

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 10:31 PM
Here's the link to the story: LINKY (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/13/ncaa-committee-pushing-ejection-for-targeting-defenseless-players/)

Here's the main point:

Among a laundry list of new proposals, the committee announced Wednesday that it is pushing forward a rule that, if passed, would “eject players who target and contact defenseless players above the shoulders.” The penalty for targeting, which was first implemented in 2008, will still be 15 yards, but will also carry a semi-automatic ejection that could bleed into the next game.

If a player is ejected for targeting in the second half, that player would miss both the rest of that game as well as the first half of the next game. A first-half ejection for targeting would not cost a player playing time the next game.

I'm not sure about this one. I'm all for player safety, but we've all seen enough "targeting" calls by now to know that it's a judgment call that isn't always correct. Now, it could carry an ejection, and from the sound of the proposal, it would be ejection from that game (and some/all of the next game). That means the decision to eject a player would happen on the field. Slippery Slope.

Here is another minor proposal being made:

–To allow the Big 12 Conference to experiment with using an eighth official on the field in conference games. This official would be placed in the backfield opposite the referee.

I can only imagine this has something to do with the sheer number of plays in a regular Big XII game.

soonerinabilene
2/13/2013, 11:34 PM
Judgement calls should NEVER be used to eject players.

EatLeadCommie
2/13/2013, 11:42 PM
Bad idea.

ouflak
2/14/2013, 06:31 AM
What if they eject a player, and then on later review, determine that it was not the right call? Will they apologize? Dangerous territory if you ask me.

achiro
2/14/2013, 09:59 AM
Can't they already eject someone for a blatant dirty hit? If so this rule isn't even needed, let alone smart.