PDA

View Full Version : OU's junior day #2 - March 9th

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 04:43 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the coaching thing is cleared up then. You'd think recruits would want to know who is coaching what position.

Scott D
2/13/2013, 06:35 PM
I'd think it'd be resolved quickly, it's also possible that one position may not be filled.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 08:54 PM
I'd think it'd be resolved quickly, it's also possible that one position may not be filled.

Agreed. As of right now, there's only one confirmed recruit (it's really early, since the date was just announced). So, if you have any eligibility left Scott, I could probably get you an invite...

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 08:55 PM

Agreed. As of right now, there's only one confirmed recruit (it's really early, since the date was just announced). So, if you have any eligibility left Scott, I could probably get you an invite...

Herr Scholz
2/14/2013, 10:46 AM
8time, just curious what you think your chances are with any of these guys you've offered. We're in on them too.

WR: KD Cannon
TE: Mark Andrews
OL: Cameron Robinson, Ty Barrett, Jovan Pruitt, Braden Smith
DE: Solomon Thomas
DT: Zaycoven Henderson
LB: Dillon Bates, Otaro Alaka
DB: Tony Brown, Nick Watkins, Jamal Adams, Edwin Freeman, John Bonney, Darrion Johnson, Dylan Sumner-Gardner

Scott D
2/14/2013, 05:28 PM
We recruited enough DT's this season that I don't need to use my eligibility ;)

8timechamps
2/14/2013, 08:05 PM
8time, just curious what you think your chances are with any of these guys you've offered. We're in on them too.

WR: KD Cannon
TE: Mark Andrews
OL: Cameron Robinson, Ty Barrett, Jovan Pruitt, Braden Smith
DE: Solomon Thomas
DT: Zaycoven Henderson
LB: Dillon Bates, Otaro Alaka
DB: Tony Brown, Nick Watkins, Jamal Adams, Edwin Freeman, John Bonney, Darrion Johnson, Dylan Sumner-Gardner

With it being so early, I don't have much feel for anybody, but I'll address the one's I know a little about:

TE: Mark Andrews - OU has interest, but hasn't offered Andrews. If I had to guess, I'd say that his ship has sailed (for OU).

WR: Cannon - Great relationship with Norvell, so OU does have that going for them. However, it sounds like Texas is making him a priority. Baylor is pushing hard, but I actually think Tech is the darkhorse for him. I think he'll eventually be a Longhorn, but Baylor and Tech are working hard to steal him.

OL: Cameron Robinson - Every OL position on your list worries me right now, because we don't have a coach for them. That being said, I think Robinson is going to LSU.
OL: Barrett - As much as I want this kid, it's going to be hard to keep him from Texas. I think he really wanted the Texas offer, and finally getting it may have been the thing to seal it. Again, I'll be surprised if OU can stay in the hunt here.
OL: Pruitt/Smith - Haven't heard much on either (other than they both have OU offers). I know Ohio State is hard after Smith.

DE: Thomas - Everyone wants him, but I think it'll come down to OU/Texas for his services. I think he wants to stay fairly close to home, so it could go either way. Ohio State is the team to watch out for (of the outsiders).

DT: Henderson - A week ago, I would have said he was a heavy OU lean. After Shipp's departure, he's made it public he's not happy about that. I think that leaves Texas in the driver's seat. OSU wants him badly too, so it could be OSU/UT in the end.

LB - Bates - IF he leaves the SEC (and I don't think he will), it'll be to sign with Texas. I just don't think he'll leave the SEC. I suspect he'll follow his dad's footsteps to Tennessee. Wouldn't count the Horns out though.

LB: Alaka - Don't really have anything on him (other than an offer).

DB: - I'm not going to list them all individually, but right now Texas stands to gain an incredible class. OU's top priority at DB is Oklahoma kid Steven Parker, which could leave a little breathing room for some of the others (especially at safety) for Texas. Even though UT has been down recently, it's hard to find a school that has consistently recruited (successfully) quality DBs like UT. Of the group you listed, I think OU has a legitimate shot to land Sumner'Gardner and possibly Jamal Adams. But, I'm not putting OU ahead of Texas for any of them.

Herr Scholz
2/15/2013, 12:30 PM
OL: Barrett - As much as I want this kid, it's going to be hard to keep him from Texas. I think he really wanted the Texas offer, and finally getting it may have been the thing to seal it. Again, I'll be surprised if OU can stay in the hunt here.

Mack still hasn't offered him yet. I don't know why. He should've been an immediate offer. In fact, Mack should just watch who Sumlin, Briles and/or Stoops offer and go after them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

8timechamps
2/15/2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your thoughts.

Seriously? I thought he was offered. Wow. Maybe Mack feels like he's a lock, so he can go after some other guys first. Weird.

Herr Scholz
2/19/2013, 01:13 PM
Seriously? I thought he was offered. Wow. Maybe Mack feels like he's a lock, so he can go after some other guys first. Weird.
We just took 5 O linemen in this past class so I guess we're taking our time. I would imagine we'll still take 3 in this class. We've offered 4 OOS blue chips so far: Joseph Paul (LA), Braden Smith (KS), Cameron Robinson (LA) and Orlando Brown (GA). And we already have Demetrius Knox at OG (but it looks like he and his teammate Daniel Gresham RB/FB are about to decommit).

Our 2nd JR day is this weekend. Word is we'll offer C Terrell Cuney from Jasper and OT Jovan Pruitt (CB Nick Watkins' teammate) from Dallas Bishop Dunne. So that would be 6 offers for 3 spots. If Knox decommits and assuming we have any shot at the OOS guys which I'm skeptical of, I would think that Barrett would get an offer.

8timechamps
2/19/2013, 04:10 PM
We just took 5 O linemen in this past class so I guess we're taking our time. I would imagine we'll still take 3 in this class. We've offered 4 OOS blue chips so far: Joseph Paul (LA), Braden Smith (KS), Cameron Robinson (LA) and Orlando Brown (GA). And we already have Demetrius Knox at OG (but it looks like he and his teammate Daniel Gresham RB/FB are about to decommit).

Our 2nd JR day is this weekend. Word is we'll offer C Terrell Cuney from Jasper and OT Jovan Pruitt (CB Nick Watkins' teammate) from Dallas Bishop Dunne. So that would be 6 offers for 3 spots. If Knox decommits and assuming we have any shot at the OOS guys which I'm skeptical of, I would think that Barrett would get an offer.

That's makes sense.

Word is that OU's new O-line coach (Bedenbaugh) made his first phone calls were to Barrett and Pruitt when he got to Norman. After last years terrible results in O-line recruiting, he's got to do a lot of work to catch up.

This is an exceptional year for Texas (and Oklahoma) high school talent. It's been a while since I've seen this much talent come out of both states.

Herr Scholz
2/20/2013, 06:52 PM
Word is that OU's new O-line coach (Bedenbaugh) made his first phone calls were to Barrett and Pruitt when he got to Norman. After last years terrible results in O-line recruiting, he's got to do a lot of work to catch up.
Yeah, that makes sense as well. Probably why your two O line coaches were let go. And both Barrett and Pruitt look like great OTs to me. Didn't Stoops just say he thought you guys were thin at tackle?

This is an exceptional year for Texas (and Oklahoma) high school talent. It's been a while since I've seen this much talent come out of both states.
I agree. I especially like the DEs and DBs.

8timechamps
2/20/2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah, that makes sense as well. Probably why your two O line coaches were let go. And both Barrett and Pruitt look like great OTs to me. Didn't Stoops just say he thought you guys were thin at tackle?

I agree. I especially like the DEs and DBs.

Yep. OU offered 28 guys at OT in this last class, and settled on a 3 star de-commit and a JUCO kid. I'm almost certain that was the final nail in the career coffin for Patton/Kittle (former O-line coaches).

Which of the DBs do you think end up at Texas?

Herr Scholz
2/21/2013, 12:44 PM
Which of the DBs do you think end up at Texas?
Here are my early guesses. I think we'll battle for several of these guys.

CB Tony Brown - LSU
S Ed Paris - LSU
CB Nick Watkins - Bama/UT/OU
S Jamal Adams - UT/OU
S Ed Freeman - A&M
S Dylan Sumner-Gardner - A&M
S John Bonney - UT/OU
CB Darrion Johnson - UT/OU

Herr Scholz
2/22/2013, 04:38 PM
In fact, it looks like we're battling for many guys, mostly on D. I don't think there were too many head to head battles last year.

WR - KD Cannon
OT - Cameron Robinson, Braden Smith, Orlando Brown, Javon Pruitt, Ty Barrett

DE - Solomon Thomas
DT - Zaycoven Henderson
ILB - Zac Whitley, James David
OLB - Otaro Alaka, Dillon Bates, Cameron Hampton (UT)
CB - Darrion Johnson, Nick Watkins, Tony Brown
S - Ed Paris, Jamal Adams, John Bonney, Ed Freeman, Laurence Jones, Dylan Sumner-Gardner

8timechamps
2/23/2013, 08:29 PM
In fact, it looks like we're battling for many guys, mostly on D. I don't think there were too many head to head battles last year.

WR - KD Cannon
OT - Cameron Robinson, Braden Smith, Orlando Brown, Javon Pruitt, Ty Barrett

DE - Solomon Thomas
DT - Zaycoven Henderson
ILB - Zac Whitley, James David
OLB - Otaro Alaka, Dillon Bates, Cameron Hampton (UT)
CB - Darrion Johnson, Nick Watkins, Tony Brown
S - Ed Paris, Jamal Adams, John Bonney, Ed Freeman, Laurence Jones, Dylan Sumner-Gardner

Last year's class was screw-y, with a lot of offers coming late in the process. I think Texas pretty much had wrapped up the guys they wanted before OU even got the offer out.

The good news (for Sooner fans) is that this year is much different...far more offers out (versus this time last year) for OU.

Herr Scholz
2/24/2013, 06:23 PM
So 6 new offers went out this weekend. A surprising non-offer to LB Alaka although he was told probably in the next couple of weeks (edit: he was offered today - don't know why they waited 48 hours for that one though). Jovan Pruitt didn't show.

WR, Armanti Foreman, Texas City <------ committed to OU
OL, Terrell Cuney, Jasper
DE, Jake McMillon, Abilene
DE, Gerald Willis III, Edna Karr (New Orleans, LA)
CB, Jermaine Roberts, St. Augustine (New Orleans, LA)
S, Dylan Sumner-Gardner, West Mesquite

Existing offers in attendence: (OL)Joseph Paul, (WR)KD Cannon, (DT)DeShawn Washington, (CB)Nick Watkins

Jake McMillon, Joseph Paul, and Jermaine Roberts mentioned they considered committing.

Herr Scholz
2/25/2013, 12:17 AM
In fact, it looks like we're battling for many guys, mostly on D.

DT - Zaycoven Henderson

Committed to TCU.

8timechamps
2/25/2013, 08:28 PM
Committed to TCU.

TCU is definitely making some noise. I think OU lost Henderson as soon as Shipp was let go. Hopefully, Montgomery can flip him...it'll be an uphill battle though.

Ruf/Nek7
2/26/2013, 11:30 AM
TCU is definitely making some noise. I think OU lost Henderson as soon as Shipp was let go. Hopefully, Montgomery can flip him...it'll be an uphill battle though.

I don't think this kid is going to be signing with TCU come next Feb.

8timechamps
2/26/2013, 03:49 PM
I don't think this kid is going to be signing with TCU come next Feb.

Me either, but there's no question that TCU is the team on top right now, and TCU has certainly made some noise in recruiting lately.

I honestly thought OSU was the team to beat for Henderson, but I think if Montgomery can get on him, OU still has a 50/50 chance.

Herr Scholz
3/4/2013, 12:25 PM
8time, you need to update your recruiting thread above. S Dylan Sumner-Gardner, ATH Armani Watts and DT DeShawn Washington all committed to A&M this weekend at their Jr Day.

Fraggle145
3/4/2013, 05:28 PM
8time, you need to update your recruiting thread above. S Dylan Sumner-Gardner, ATH Armani Watts and DT DeShawn Washington all committed to A&M this weekend at their Jr Day.

Seems to me like aTm is going to the Ole Miss recruiting route...

8timechamps
3/4/2013, 07:12 PM

Yeah, I'll change it soon. Just waiting to see if anyone else commits, then I can do it all at the same time.

Herr Scholz
3/5/2013, 09:51 AM
Seems to me like aTm is going to the Ole Miss recruiting route...
You may very well be right.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEia4N1CIAA2M5t.jpg:large

Fraggle145
3/5/2013, 05:01 PM
Seriously. WTF?

KantoSooner
3/6/2013, 11:24 AM
Hmmmm, average IQ is 100 by definition.

Use of Ebonics = -20

Mimicry of rap music video subject matter in a public forum = -40

He's running with a corrected IQ of about 40 at the moment. If it falls to a corrected score of 25 or less, call 911 and let them know. He might start forgetting to breath.

8timechamps
3/6/2013, 03:01 PM
Hmmmm, average IQ is 100 by definition.

Use of Ebonics = -20

Mimicry of rap music video subject matter in a public forum = -40

He's running with a corrected IQ of about 40 at the moment. If it falls to a corrected score of 25 or less, call 911 and let them know. He might start forgetting to breath.

You forgot:

Picking A&M over OU = -30

So, his adjusted IQ (AIQ we'll call it) is 10. Sounds about right.

KantoSooner
3/6/2013, 05:55 PM
I stand corrected.

But, hey, maybe he's just really into collies. Nowhere did he say that the 'girl' was human. Seems like a bit too much money for milkbones, but maybe he's super indulgent.

8timechamps
3/6/2013, 05:58 PM
I stand corrected.

But, hey, maybe he's just really into collies. Nowhere did he say that the 'girl' was human. Seems like a bit too much money for milkbones, but maybe he's super indulgent.

Very keen observation that I had completely missed. He could very well be a 'friend of the K9'. Excellent point Kanto!

Soonerjeepman
3/7/2013, 02:19 PM
ok....is that pic actually real? what DA would post that if it was...I'm sure a/m isnt the source but def not smart.

8timechamps
3/8/2013, 08:37 PM
Confirmed attendees:

WR Mark Andrews
RB Justin Stockton
DE/LB Josh Malin
DT Trey Lealaimatafao
OLB Gyasi Akem
OT Jovan Pruitt
ATH Ronnie Larue
OT Najee Toran
LB Christian Sam
LB Tay Evans

Spray
3/9/2013, 10:34 AM
Serious question: what exactly do the recruits do on a Junior Day? Is it just a visit? Do they work out? With spring practice starting I didn't know what kind of attention they got from the coaches and players and how their day was structured. And what the rules allow for a Junior Day.

Just curious.

Scott D
3/9/2013, 11:09 AM
I can't say this is what goes on for sure, but odds are they will get to watch the practice. They'll likely have designated players with them at some point. They and their parents will likely get a little face time with HCBS along with their potential position coaches, and get a tour of the facilities.

trwxxa
3/9/2013, 11:30 AM
Looks like WR KD Cannon is going to make it today.

8timechamps
3/9/2013, 09:03 PM
Serious question: what exactly do the recruits do on a Junior Day? Is it just a visit? Do they work out? With spring practice starting I didn't know what kind of attention they got from the coaches and players and how their day was structured. And what the rules allow for a Junior Day.

Just curious.

I can't say this is what goes on for sure, but odds are they will get to watch the practice. They'll likely have designated players with them at some point. They and their parents will likely get a little face time with HCBS along with their potential position coaches, and get a tour of the facilities.

Yep, pretty much.

Since the Sooners started practice today, the juniors got to watch. Normally, they would spend some one on one time with coaches, and work in different skill groups. Then they hang out in the locker room, check out all of the hardware, try on jerseys, take pictures, etc, etc.

StoopTroup
3/10/2013, 06:24 PM
Article about Tim Kish and Christian Sam (LB -3 Star Recruit),...

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/allen-linebackers-christian-sam-and-tay-evans-visit-oklahoma-take-pics-with-bob-stoops.html/

Also one on ESPN is you are an Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/20566/sam-gets-comfortable-with-sooners

The other kid is a player who came down with Christian who is looking for a School to play for as well.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/files/2013/03/BE7zgSfCUAAowvE1.jpg-large1.jpg

8timechamps
3/10/2013, 09:24 PM
Article about Tim Kish and Christian Sam (LB -3 Star Recruit),...

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/allen-linebackers-christian-sam-and-tay-evans-visit-oklahoma-take-pics-with-bob-stoops.html/

Also one on ESPN is you are an Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/20566/sam-gets-comfortable-with-sooners

The other kid is a player who came down with Christian who is looking for a School to play for as well.

The other kid is Tay Evans (his dad played basketball for OU from 96-98). Surprisingly, he's never been on the campus. His list of offers isn't overly impressive at this point (Boise State is the biggest school that's offered), but there is a lot of interest for him (he's been to both Texas and OU's junior day). I think if the Sooners go after him hard enough, he would commit. We'll see.

Scott D
3/11/2013, 10:58 AM
based on his dad's size when he played at OU the kid definitely has room to get bigger.

Herr Scholz
3/11/2013, 12:51 PM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/files/2013/03/BE7zgSfCUAAowvE1.jpg-large1.jpg
Am I the only one who hears "Hello" in a really weird voice when I'm looking at this photo?

Btw, 8, you have any news of possible/probable commits after this weekend after all the offers?

8timechamps
3/11/2013, 04:18 PM
Am I the only one who hears "Hello" in a really weird voice when I'm looking at this photo?

Btw, 8, you have any news of possible/probable commits after this weekend after all the offers?

Based on what I'm hearing, the two guys closest to committing right now are:

Trey Lealaimatafao (DT) and Tay Evans (LB).

How's Texas looking, anyone close?

Herr Scholz
3/11/2013, 06:04 PM

Those two look like players to me. We're being pretty stingy with offers. I think we could use both of these guys. Especially the DT since we completely whiffed on those last class and already missed out on Henderson and Washington in this one.

As far as guys close to committing to UT, I think LB Otaro Alaka is close (by the end of March) and he's down to us and A&M. I think we're also about to get DE Jake McMillon from Abilene. We're getting a lot of interest from some LA guys from St Augustine (CB Roberts, OT Paul and DT Garnett) but I don't know what their timeline is. We supposedly have a lot of guys leaning our way but Mack's no visit policy is holding them off I think. We'll see if that's a good strategy or not. Other guys we have a high interest in look to wait a while and take visits: WR Cannon, TE Jones, C Cuney, DE Thomas, DE J Johnson, DT C Johnson, LB Bates, CB Watkins, CB D Johnson, S Adams and S Bonney.

8timechamps
3/11/2013, 08:40 PM
Those two look like players to me. We're being pretty stingy with offers. I think we could use both of these guys. Especially the DT since we completely whiffed on those last class and already missed out on Henderson and Washington in this one.

As far as guys close to committing to UT, I think LB Otaro Alaka is close (by the end of March) and he's down to us and A&M. I think we're also about to get DE Jake McMillon from Abilene. We're getting a lot of interest from some LA guys from St Augustine (CB Roberts, OT Paul and DT Garnett) but I don't know what their timeline is. We supposedly have a lot of guys leaning our way but Mack's no visit policy is holding them off I think. We'll see if that's a good strategy or not. Other guys we have a high interest in look to wait a while and take visits: WR Cannon, TE Jones, C Cuney, DE Thomas, DE J Johnson, DT C Johnson, LB Bates, CB Watkins, CB D Johnson, S Adams and S Bonney.

I'm not sure if OU was ever really in the hunt for Alaka, but I wish they would have been. He's one of the LBs in this class that I think can play as a freshman.

I can see where recruits would be hesitant to commit before getting a chance to get their visits in, but in the long run, I don't think that'll sway anyone from committing. We'll see though.

How many DTs is Texas looking to sign for 2014?

Herr Scholz
3/12/2013, 09:08 AM
How many DTs is Texas looking to sign for 2014?
The word is 3, at least one being a juco I think. We're definitely behind the 8 ball at that position.

Scott D
3/12/2013, 10:47 AM
only because your coaches snort 8 balls before recruiting

Herr Scholz
3/12/2013, 04:17 PM
Mack's snorting some twinkies these days by the look of him.

Herr Scholz
3/31/2013, 12:13 PM

DT Lealaimatafao pulled the trigger for UT this weekend. And C Terrell Cuney as well. Puts us at 10 for that class with CB Darrion Johnson reported about to pull the trigger tomorrow. We've also already got 3 for the '15 class: OL Aaron Garza, DT Bryce English and CB Jalen Campbell.

Herr Scholz
4/7/2013, 07:31 PM
As far as guys close to committing to UT...I think we're also about to get DE Jake McMillon from Abilene. We're getting a lot of interest from some LA guys from St Augustine (CB Roberts, OT Paul and DT Garnett) but I don't know what their timeline is.
UT up to 12 in the '14 class with DE McMillon from Abilene and DT Garnett from New Orleans. At least we've gotten a couple DEs and a couple of DTs so far after none at either spot in the last class. I think we're shooting for 3 of each this time.

TahoeSOONER
4/8/2013, 12:05 PM
Bring out your dead!

Herr Scholz
4/8/2013, 09:31 PM
LB Otaro Alaka makes it 13.

Scott D
4/9/2013, 06:21 PM
and apparently this thread should be Whorns Junior Day.

Herr Scholz
4/9/2013, 10:59 PM
and apparently this thread should be Whorns Junior Day.

8time had asked. Just trying to share info. BTW, #14 today with Florida MLB Andrew Beck. #15 might possibly be Garnett's N.O. St Augustine teammate CB Jermaine Roberts who's back in Austin this weekend. CB Darrion Johnson is also reported to be very close.

As it relates to OU, the following 7 of our current 14 commits hold OU offers: DT Garnett, DT Lealaimatafao, LB Alaka, LB Hampton, LB Beck, OG Knox and WR Bernard. Both of the CBs listed above do as well.

GDC
4/11/2013, 01:14 PM
This thread is obviously dead for 99.99999% of OU fans. Most of us don't give a flip about any fool that chooses to lose to OU at Texass.

8time had asked. Just trying to share info. BTW, #14 today with Florida MLB Andrew Beck. #15 might possibly be Garnett's N.O. St Augustine teammate CB Jermaine Roberts who's back in Austin this weekend. CB Darrion Johnson is also reported to be very close.

As it relates to OU, the following 7 of our current 14 commits hold OU offers: DT Garnett, DT Lealaimatafao, LB Alaka, LB Hampton, LB Beck, OG Knox and WR Bernard. Both of the CBs listed above do as well.

Herr Scholz
4/11/2013, 01:36 PM
Hey, my old friend GDC. Sorry. Didn't mean to derail. I just like the back and forth.

8timechamps
4/11/2013, 09:17 PM
For the record, I asked Herr to post info about Texas recruits. The reason is pretty simple, a lot of the guys have offers from both UT and OU.

As an aside, I"ve been gone from the board for a couple of weeks. I hope to be back in the next week, and I'll have a ton of stuff to update.

Lot's of visitors will be in town on Saturday for the spring game, so they'll also be a lot of information from that.

See you soon.

-8time

Fraggle145
4/12/2013, 09:09 AM

So how much of these recruits holding both offers is just because both teams are in serious need of DT and LB help? Do they have aTm offers as well? UT usually fills up first so that really isnt that much of a surprise that we dont have as many commits yet.

Herr Scholz
4/12/2013, 01:45 PM
Of this list, only 4 have A&M offers: DT Garnett, LB Alaka, LB Hampton and OG Knox. They also have an offer to our DE Roberson though. CB Roberts holds an offer from them as well and he's predicted to commit to UT this weekend. They're also calling our QB Heard constantly but he won't give them the time of day. But we've offered 5 of their commits as well so it's pretty even h2h at this point.

Yes, OU rarely fills up quickly. You guys will cherrypick several studs from TX like always and you've got your CA, NV, FL pipelines as well. Different strategies. OU never hurts for players.

Herr Scholz
4/12/2013, 04:57 PM
CB Jermaine Roberts holds an offer from them as well and he's predicted to commit to UT this weekend.
That was fast. #15.