PDA

View Full Version : USFL return?

badger
2/13/2013, 12:35 PM
Link (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/USFL-Returning-to-Texas-in-Spring-2014-190703771.html)

Not sure whether to be excited or not. There is definitely an absence of football between the Super Bowl and college spring games, then another void till Labor Day weekend that could be filled with a secondary league

jkjsooner
2/13/2013, 01:34 PM
The United States Football League said Monday...

didn't know that such an entity still exists.

I wonder if Trump is still involved. Sounds like a scheme to sell real estate.

Edit: I rewrote the last paragraph as I don't want to be one of many who get sued by Trump. I will say this, I would never touch any investment or buy any property that was either owned by Trump or used his name.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 03:06 PM
If the USFL uses the same approach they did the first time around (spending the kind of money the NFL spends), then I will definitely be interested. If it ends up as another UFL, I'll pass.

badger
2/13/2013, 03:31 PM
If the USFL uses the same approach they did the first time around (spending the kind of money the NFL spends), then I will definitely be interested. If it ends up as another UFL, I'll pass.

Since they've labeled themselves as the NFL's minor league, there's little chance of that happening... unless, of course, the NFL embraces the idea and treats it like other league's minors, where players can be signed to the majors, but play in the minors.

By the very nature of football, I don't think that's going to work. But, at the same time, there are no other viable number two leagues out there in the U.S. in a country that loves the college and pro games alike. Thus, there a lot of college stars that get cut from the NFL that would probably like to continue their playing careers elsewhere, if not in the NFL

Wishboned
2/13/2013, 03:52 PM
I like a break from certain sports. Too much of anything is generally not a good thing. (There are exceptions)

I like the anticipation of a new season. All the action from the off season. And I don't think there are enough quality players to form another professional league.

olevetonahill
2/13/2013, 04:04 PM
When we got the Outlaws I signed up for season tickets and went to every game after they left for AZ i said to hell with it. Aint much cared for any kind of Pro Ball since.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2013, 04:05 PM
It won't work...and nobody will watch..

Wishboned
2/13/2013, 04:12 PM
When we got the Outlaws I signed up for season tickets and went to every game after they left for AZ i said to hell with it. Aint much cared for any kind of Pro Ball since.

I had season tickets too. I think it rained every game. I even went to one on my honeymoon. I'd rather the Outlaws stayed, and she left.

olevetonahill
2/13/2013, 04:13 PM
I had season tickets too. I think it rained every game. I even went to one on my honeymoon. I'd rather the Outlaws stayed, and she left.

Heh.

badger
2/13/2013, 04:16 PM
It won't work...and nobody will watch..

Networks needs something to broadcast that draws eyeballs during this January-March lull. Hell, NBC is really smarting (http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=371&articleid=20130213_371_0_NEWYOR635706) in the ratings department.

Now, I know that you're all thinking "That's how they lost millions in the XFL deal," so I'm thinking that no network invests in a league like that failed experiment. Rather, they'll just have broadcasting partnerships, not part-ownerships.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2013, 04:20 PM
College basketball, NBA...March madness, NBA playoff positioning battles..Plus the drop in talent, lack of name recognition..I love the idea in theory, but it won't work.

sooner_born_1960
2/13/2013, 04:27 PM
For it to work, they will need to use something like the minor league baseball model. Salaries will need to be minimal, and the owners can't expect to live like NFL owners.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 04:36 PM
College basketball, NBA...March madness, NBA playoff positioning battles..Plus the drop in talent, lack of name recognition..I love the idea in theory, but it won't work.

Yeah, this country is pretty ingrained in the current sports scene. Hell, hockey can barely get a foothold in this country. That's why soccer will never be as big here as it is in the rest of the world.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 04:37 PM
Since they've labeled themselves as the NFL's minor league, there's little chance of that happening... unless, of course, the NFL embraces the idea and treats it like other league's minors, where players can be signed to the majors, but play in the minors.

By the very nature of football, I don't think that's going to work. But, at the same time, there are no other viable number two leagues out there in the U.S. in a country that loves the college and pro games alike. Thus, there a lot of college stars that get cut from the NFL that would probably like to continue their playing careers elsewhere, if not in the NFL

I didn't read the entire article, but if the USFL has labeled themselves as the NFL's minor league, I'm out. The NFL already has a minor league, NCAA football. Unless it's a real challenger to the NFL, I just can't see anyone really caring.

badger
2/13/2013, 04:42 PM
I didn't read the entire article, but if the USFL has labeled themselves as the NFL's minor league, I'm out. The NFL already has a minor league, NCAA football. Unless it's a real challenger to the NFL, I just can't see anyone really caring.
OK... what if... the USFL accepted players before their junior years in college?

I know it sounds crazy, but the USFL got the top college talent by doing something the NFL refused to do at the time (pay players more money, let juniors go pro...).

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 04:50 PM
OK... what if... the USFL accepted players before their junior years in college?

I know it sounds crazy, but the USFL got the top college talent by doing something the NFL refused to do at the time (pay players more money, let juniors go pro...).

About the only way I would be interested is if the NFL made a rule that no player could enter before the end of their class' senior year. However, if a player wanted leave school early "to get paid", they could leave for the USFL after their class' sophomore season. Kind of a 2 year league (with other players that weren't quite NFL quality). That, I would be interersted in...

badger
2/14/2013, 12:31 PM
About the only way I would be interested is if the NFL made a rule that no player could enter before the end of their class' senior year. However, if a player wanted leave school early "to get paid", they could leave for the USFL after their class' sophomore season. Kind of a 2 year league (with other players that weren't quite NFL quality). That, I would be interersted in...

That might help some players get training wheels on their finances as well, as USFL would not be able to pay players 6-8 figures but likely just 5 figures, and not the high end either. They'll get money, but not bling bling money

Sooners78
2/14/2013, 12:51 PM
Plus the drop in talent..I love the idea in theory, but it won't work.

The same reason the WNBA doesn't work even though it was forced down our throats when it began.

ouleaf
2/14/2013, 02:33 PM
I just don't understand anybody trying to compete with the monster that is the NFL. It's a lost cause at this point. The Arena leagues have not done well, the XFL bombed, and it will be the same for the USFL.

I get that you are trying to fill a gap during the NFL off season and by targeting middle-market cities that do not have an NFL team, but the NFL is almost a year round obsession for this country now.

LakeRat
2/14/2013, 03:02 PM
I am more in favor of the Lingerie league.

SicEmBaylor
2/14/2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah, this country is pretty ingrained in the current sports scene. Hell, hockey can barely get a foothold in this country. That's why soccer will never be as big here as it is in the rest of the world.

Thank God.

Flagstaffsooner
2/14/2013, 04:39 PM
I loved the old USFL. Had season tickets ot the Outlaws. I would love a Spring league again.

http://www.usfl.info/mainimages/big-outlaws.png

Mazeppa
2/15/2013, 10:06 PM
I had season tickets too

http://i49.tinypic.com/1z51y1l.jpg