PDA

View Full Version : Kittle is gone.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 08:33 PM
Not much info available, but Kittle is the third coach to go in two days....

Now I'm getting excited. Looks like a house cleaning of sorts among the coaching staff.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 08:38 PM
Right now, this (https://twitter.com/OU247/status/301499176020213761) is the only "report", but it's a done deal.

sooneron
2/12/2013, 08:40 PM
WAS
NOT
QUALIFIED

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 08:44 PM
WAS
NOT
QUALIFIED

No question about it. That little experiment is over, and it was pretty much a failure.

I would have been okay with Kittle being let go and Patton staying on. Apparently Bob wasn't.

cvsooner
2/12/2013, 08:45 PM
This isn't a house cleaning, this is a complete purge. Wow.

goingoneight
2/12/2013, 08:46 PM
No question about it. That little experiment is over, and it was pretty much a failure.

I would have been okay with Kittle being let go and Patton staying on. Apparently Bob wasn't.

I don't like the look of all these Arizona experiments coming on board. But what can you do?

SoonerMom2
2/12/2013, 08:46 PM
Patton went to work for Chris Wilson from IU - he is originally from Ohio so was he fired or left. Former players on Twitter saying Shipp left and said he wasn't coming back and wasn't fire so who knows except three coaches are gone.

cvsooner
2/12/2013, 08:47 PM
Tulsa World reporting Kittle was let go about a half hour after Shipp.

goingoneight
2/12/2013, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't want to be called into Stoops's office right now.

Blue
2/12/2013, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't want to be called into Stoops's office right now.

No not 6 minute abs...7 MINUTE ABS! Step into my office...bc you're F'in Fired!

sooneron
2/12/2013, 08:52 PM
Anyone here think Josh just took his iphone out of his mophie? :D

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 08:53 PM
No not 6 minute abs...7 MINUTE ABS! Step into my office...bc you're F'in Fired!

Three little monkeys sitting on a fence...come on man!

hvhurricane
2/12/2013, 08:53 PM
Unless there is a change of OC's by bringing in new blood with a new philosophy, it really doesn't matter.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 08:54 PM
Patton went to work for Chris Wilson from IU - he is originally from Ohio so was he fired or left. Former players on Twitter saying Shipp left and said he wasn't coming back and wasn't fire so who knows except three coaches are gone.

We will probably never know for sure, but I'm thinking he was asked to step aside.

goingoneight
2/12/2013, 08:55 PM
They can post Oklahoma and BIG 12 Championships and Bedlam wins and Texas wins and all that good stuff on their resumes. I wish them all well. But they've been paid well, too. For the money any coach gets as a full-time assistant, they should put in the effort and the results should show. We've shown through the years that we're good, but not good enough. Eventually, they had to start picking guys off here or there.

I'll bet that this is more of the administration showing guys the door than it is actually Bob Stoops, though. Joe C. is doing his best Jerry Jones impersonation.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 08:55 PM
I don't like the look of all these Arizona experiments coming on board. But what can you do?

I'll wait and reserve judgement until I see how Stoops replaces Kittle and Shipp. If Kish and Bendebaugh are the only two Arizona guys, I can live with that.

Not that it matters what I think.

cvsooner
2/12/2013, 08:56 PM
Offense, defense may look seriously different next year with all these changes. Only Heupel, Norvell, Gundy, Wright, Schmidt, remain from staff of 2011. I've never understood the talk about 'there are never any changes' because Stoops' staff has done nothing but change since the first season. What's more remarkable is how well he's adapted and changed it over the past 12 years. Only in the past couple has he not been able to get the results he really wanted. Clearly he thinks a philosophical change is in order.

Who's next? Schmiddy?

cvsooner
2/12/2013, 08:59 PM
Shipp had up and down success, with more down than up, lately. I'm sure there's a certain amount of Mike Stoops' input here too, that for whatever reasons the tackles weren't getting it done and going forward there may have been a clash of styles. But c'mon, this is the way people in any business put together their teams--typically they hire people they know that they think can do the work. So if Mike is pulling all these people in, Bob may be giving Mike enough rope to hang himself in three or four years. Guess we'll see.

ouwasp
2/12/2013, 09:04 PM
Anyone here think Josh just took his iphone out of his mophie? :D

hahahaha!

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 09:07 PM
Shipp had up and down success, with more down than up, lately. I'm sure there's a certain amount of Mike Stoops' input here too, that for whatever reasons the tackles weren't getting it done and going forward there may have been a clash of styles. But c'mon, this is the way people in any business put together their teams--typically they hire people they know that they think can do the work. So if Mike is pulling all these people in, Bob may be giving Mike enough rope to hang himself in three or four years. Guess we'll see.

The rumor is that Shipp had lost some of his effectiveness in Tulsa (which was his area). Then it was discovered that he had taken recruiting trips, but ended up playing golf instead. I have no idea if that's true, but the Tulsa thing sounds like it could be accurate.

goingoneight
2/12/2013, 09:09 PM

boomersooner28
2/12/2013, 09:25 PM
Where is LSUFreak when you need him!?!?

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 09:26 PM
I'm sure there's a certain amount of Mike Stoops' input here too.
This is the problem I see.

Mike Stoops should have never been a head coach in the first place, and now it looks like this is his 2nd gig.

Blue
2/12/2013, 09:29 PM

Thats Gold Jerry! Gold!

goingoneight
2/12/2013, 09:33 PM
This is the problem I see.

Mike Stoops should have never been a head coach in the first place, and now it looks like this is his 2nd gig.

Joe C. and the OU administration are playing Russian Roulette if they do that. There was no semblance of success at UA under Mike Stoops. The fact that they crashed and burned like they did is scary enough.

hvhurricane
2/12/2013, 10:23 PM
Offense, defense may look seriously different next year with all these changes. Only Heupel, Norvell, Gundy, Wright, Schmidt, remain from staff of 2011. I've never understood the talk about 'there are never any changes' because Stoops' staff has done nothing but change since the first season. What's more remarkable is how well he's adapted and changed it over the past 12 years. Only in the past couple has he not been able to get the results he really wanted. Clearly he thinks a philosophical change is in order.

Who's next? Schmiddy?

Unless they bring I some people they haven't worked with before, as well as making a change at OC, I don't see a change in philosophy.

Scott D
2/12/2013, 10:52 PM
I predict that Jonathan Hayes will not be coming back despite the fact, or because of the fact that he holds the exact same job that Kittle held, but with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Scott D
2/12/2013, 10:53 PM
Maybe Kittle's replacement will come from Iowa.....or K-State. Been awhile since Bob stole one of Snyder's assistants.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 10:54 PM
Maybe Kittle's replacement will come from Iowa.....or K-State. Been awhile since Bob stole one of Snyder's assistants.

I heard Bill Snyder's dad is coming on board.

Scott D
2/12/2013, 10:58 PM

That's to assist their genetics department (which the state of Kansas doesn't believe exists) in cloning Bill Snyder. :D

Soonerjeepman
2/12/2013, 10:58 PM

no doubt...

OUster
2/12/2013, 11:00 PM
I'm a for us getting a better product on the field. However, it appears Bob could let the entire staff go, exchange it for Alabama's, and we would still have 1/3 of the posters still bitching in way, shape, or form. Feed the monster, stop the bitching.

picasso
2/12/2013, 11:16 PM

Patton went to IU because he was told to look for a job. Make no mistake about that.

picasso
2/12/2013, 11:20 PM
I'm a for us getting a better product on the field. However, it appears Bob could let the entire staff go, exchange it for Alabama's, and we would still have 1/3 of the posters still bitching in way, shape, or form. Feed the monster, stop the bitching.
You go that right. There's one in this thread who has said the same thing twice.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 11:32 PM

Yep!

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 11:33 PM
You go that right. There's one in this thread who has said the same thing twice.

What if a poster said the same thing twice, and nobody cared....would it still make a sound?

High_Plains_Boomer
2/13/2013, 12:08 AM
All this amounts to is a good start.

What exactly did Kish contribute, the Invisible Man's secret formula? How's that national recruiting scene treating you, little Timmy?

How about Heupel? Such a great QB coach that your senior QB didn't feel he was getting enough. We would have gotten better play-calling from a roulette wheel.

Stoops, Bobby Jack Wright, Mike Stoops, Gundy, Norvell, and Schmidt are a solid foundation. All (minus Schmidt) great recruiters. Bedenbaugh is a good start towards re-engineering this staff.

JMO.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 12:10 AM
If you don't know, the NCAA is making some changes in recruiting. One of the big changes being made has to do with who can contact a recruit. In the past, it's been limited to the 7 coaches on staff. Nobody else could communicate (via the university) with a recruit. That's going to be eliminated. Going forwards, programs can use whomever they want to contact recruits. As a result, schools will form psuedo personnel departments (recruiting departments). The word is, Kittle has been removed as coach and moved to the personnel department. So, it sounds like he will still be a part of the program, just not coaching.

And again (per my earlier post), Bendenbaugh is all but the new OL coach. OU is completing the administrative stuff, then he will be announced.

I just saw that he was named WVU recruiter of the year, so that's nice thing to bring with him.

DarrellZero
2/13/2013, 01:17 AM

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs7/3527372_o.gif

Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!

ashley
2/13/2013, 08:25 AM
This group were told weeks ago to find another job. Apparently Patton was the only one that found one.

Boomer.....
2/13/2013, 09:04 AM
I'm happy about this! I was starting to think Bob wouldn't fire a friend.

badger
2/13/2013, 09:34 AM
The rumor is that Shipp had lost some of his effectiveness in Tulsa (which was his area). Then it was discovered that he had taken recruiting trips, but ended up playing golf instead. I have no idea if that's true, but the Tulsa thing sounds like it could be accurate.
Tulsa does have a kick arse golf course in Southern Hills. The area around it isn't great, but Southern Hills itself is pretty

And I agree with Bob letting him go if this was the case. Bob Stoops' career and legacy is on the line, and since he likes to employ family and friends, heads will roll if Bob Stoops doesn't succeed, so I think he's taking this right-the-ship demand seriously.

I mean, where will these coaches and assistants and other people go if Bob Stoops isn't at Oklahoma? Mark Stoops at Kentucky (oh yeah, we all think Kentucky will go great in SEC footballl... pooor Mark). Mike Stoops in... oh wait. Other Stoops at Youngstown State (I don't even think he's head coach there)? Bob is the one keeping these guys in cushy high profile high pay jobs, so that's a pretty big responsibility.

Dick around on your own time, not on OU time :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
2/13/2013, 10:44 AM
If you don't know, the NCAA is making some changes in recruiting. One of the big changes being made has to do with who can contact a recruit. In the past, it's been limited to the 7 coaches on staff. Nobody else could communicate (via the university) with a recruit. That's going to be eliminated. Going forwards, programs can use whomever they want to contact recruits. As a result, schools will form psuedo personnel departments (recruiting departments). The word is, Kittle has been removed as coach and moved to the personnel department. So, it sounds like he will still be a part of the program, just not coaching.

And again (per my earlier post), Bendenbaugh is all but the new OL coach. OU is completing the administrative stuff, then he will be announced.

I just saw that he was named WVU recruiter of the year, so that's nice thing to bring with him.
8X, you seem to be plugged into the NCAA, how can this recruiting change be a good thing? This just seems rife with potential violations...hell, we'll be driving Firebirds back to the recruits house again, or opening up drawers of cash...

basel90
2/13/2013, 10:54 AM
Finally some staff shake up of dead wood and correcting hiring mistakes . Kittle was in over his head. Shipp was producing vanilla.atton could not get the running game going. I believe castiglione has also had some serious discussions with stoops about the need for fresh blood.
What scares me is kish . He may be a big mistake as well.

sooneron
2/13/2013, 12:56 PM
My question is, what kind of experience (Any?) does he have with a 3-4 Defense?

PalmBeachSooner
2/13/2013, 01:50 PM
I've never understood the talk about 'there are never any changes' because Stoops' staff has done nothing but change since the first season.
Who's next? Schmiddy?

There has been a lot of change but it was due to coaches leaving for HC jobs or the NFL. This is the first time I recall Bob firing anyone.

C&CDean
2/13/2013, 01:53 PM
Unless there is a change of OC's by bringing in new blood with a new philosophy, it really doesn't matter.

Sometimes...nah, most of the time you're a ****ing idiot.

PalmBeachSooner
2/13/2013, 01:56 PM

WVU recruits south Florida better than the Florida schools.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 02:59 PM
8X, you seem to be plugged into the NCAA, how can this recruiting change be a good thing? This just seems rife with potential violations...hell, we'll be driving Firebirds back to the recruits house again, or opening up drawers of cash...

I have no idea. To me, it's a terrible change.

Of all the changes coming, only one really makes sense (and it's the one that hasn't been approved yet). Most coaches want an early signing day. That way, recruits that are 100% sure they want to sign with a school, can get it done sooner. This helps the kid (stops all the phone calls, mail), and helps the schools (don't have to continue spending money to recruit a kid that's already committed). That is the only change that makes sense to me.

Along with these new changes, the NCAA is lifting it's text messaging ban. Can you imagine how harassed the recruits will be now? No limit on the amount of communication and/or who does the communicating. NCAA president Mark Emmert said this is being done to "streamline" the rules. I laughed when I saw that. How about getting rid of the archaic rules in place before messing with things that appear to be working?!

OkieThunderLion
2/13/2013, 03:20 PM
Finally some staff shake up of dead wood and correcting hiring mistakes . Kittle was in over his head. Shipp was producing vanilla.atton could not get the running game going. I believe castiglione has also had some serious discussions with stoops about the need for fresh blood.
From my view from afar, the coach who looked the worst to me was the defensive coordinator. I really couldn't believe the Xs/Os he was asking out of his players. Now it's everyone else's fault. I don't get it.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2013, 03:25 PM
From my view from afar, the coach who looked the worst to me was the defensive coordinator. I really couldn't believe the Xs/Os he was asking out of his players. Now it's everyone else's fault. I don't get it.

I'm with you..Sitting behind the bench a couple of times and watching..the number of timeouts burned on defense on the other team's first drive or in the 1st quarter...I had the stats in another thread..and the number of TDs scored by the opposing team after the timeout..Just showed a defense not ready to play.

Some games, it looked like Bob was actually taking over the defensive play calling... and the fighting between the two? Embarassing after a while..

cvsooner
2/13/2013, 03:42 PM
Interesting there's been absolutely no confirmation from OU on the Kittle and Shipp 'firings' or 'departures', and they do in fact, still appear on the staff web page, though Patton is no longer on that page. Perhpas Kittle and Shipp are both moving out of coaching and into the recruiting office? Or something. I dunno.

cvsooner
2/13/2013, 03:43 PM
There has been a lot of change but it was due to coaches leaving for HC jobs or the NFL. This is the first time I recall Bob firing anyone.

Well, there's 'firing' and there's 'firing.' Let's see...Bo Pelini. Willie Martinez. Those two names come to mind pretty quickly...I don't think either left exactly voluntarily, and I suspect Patton was much the same way. Find a job, son, 'cause you're out of here.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 04:41 PM
Interesting there's been absolutely no confirmation from OU on the Kittle and Shipp 'firings' or 'departures', and they do in fact, still appear on the staff web page, though Patton is no longer on that page. Perhpas Kittle and Shipp are both moving out of coaching and into the recruiting office? Or something. I dunno.

Kittle is moving to recruiting, so he's still on staff. I'm not clear on what went down with Shipp, so it's possible he could do the same thing.

basel90
2/13/2013, 04:50 PM
None as far as I know

OkieThunderLion
2/13/2013, 05:17 PM
Well, there's 'firing' and there's 'firing.' Let's see...Bo Pelini. Willie Martinez. Those two names come to mind pretty quickly...I don't think either left exactly voluntarily, and I suspect Patton was much the same way. Find a job, son, 'cause you're out of here.

Willie Martinez was the only one he was fired before this week.

Pelini wanted the LSU gig.

It was rumored Mangino was urged to take the Kansas job, as his OC responsibilities for '02 were up in the air.

cvsooner
2/13/2013, 05:53 PM
Well, official announcement is they're gone...no mention of recruiting or any other role at OU.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021313aaa.html

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 06:34 PM
Well, official announcement is they're gone...no mention of recruiting or any other role at OU.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021313aaa.html

I saw that. Kittle sounds like he's finished in Norman.

picasso
2/13/2013, 06:37 PM
Tulsa does have a kick arse golf course in Southern Hills. The area around it isn't great, but Southern Hills itself is pretty

And I agree with Bob letting him go if this was the case. Bob Stoops' career and legacy is on the line, and since he likes to employ family and friends, heads will roll if Bob Stoops doesn't succeed, so I think he's taking this right-the-ship demand seriously.

I mean, where will these coaches and assistants and other people go if Bob Stoops isn't at Oklahoma? Mark Stoops at Kentucky (oh yeah, we all think Kentucky will go great in SEC footballl... pooor Mark). Mike Stoops in... oh wait. Other Stoops at Youngstown State (I don't even think he's head coach there)? Bob is the one keeping these guys in cushy high profile high pay jobs, so that's a pretty big responsibility.

Dick around on your own time, not on OU time :mad:
The area around Southern Hills isn't great? WTF. Did you just roll in there straight off of Riverside? Yeah, the area west of there is terrible but you're clueless.