PDA

View Full Version : 4 Bama players charged with fraud, robbery

TitoMorelli
2/12/2013, 01:45 PM
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Four University of Alabama football players have been charged in connection with the robbery and assault of two students, officials said Tuesday.
Campus police arrested running back Brent Calloway, linebackers D.J. Pettway and Tyler Hayes, and defensive back Eddie Williams after two robberies early Monday morning, university spokeswoman Cathy Andreen said.
Pettway and Hayes were charged with two counts of second-degree robbery. Defensive back Eddie Williams was charged with both fraudulent use of a credit card and two counts of second-degree robbery. Calloway was charged with fraudulent use of a credit card.
All four players were backups last season for Alabama, which has won two straight national titles and three of the past four.
''This is a very serious matter and we are very disappointed in the actions that have resulted in the charges against these student-athletes,'' Alabama athletic director Mal Moore said in a statement.
University police posted an advisory Monday saying two students reported being approached by two men who asked for a light for a cigarette. Both students said they were then hit in the head and robbed.
Williams was released on $65,000 bond, while Hayes and Pettway were released on $60,000 bond each. Calloway was released on $5,000 bond.
Police also said Williams had been arrested on a charge of carrying a pistol without a permit a day before his Monday arrest. Tuscaloosa police Sgt. Brent Blankley said in a news release that a clerk at a gas station called police early Sunday, telling officers that Williams threatened that he had something in his trunk after a fight about paying for gas.
Officers who pulled over Williams found a pistol in his pants pocket, the release said. In that case, he was released on $500 bond.
Jail records did not show whether any of the players had an attorney.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/4-ala-football-players-charged-151150918--ncaaf.html

comment by Zisbal • 2 hours 19 minutes ago

Parole Tide !!!!

Ruf/Nek7
2/12/2013, 01:50 PM
Couple this with Scam Newton, antler spray, now this (and im sure there was more in between) and the sec has yet to be investigated heavily by the NCAA. No one wants to mess with them huh?

badger
2/12/2013, 02:29 PM
Previous Fulmer Cup standings:
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2148561/fulmercup021113b_medium.jpg
Link (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2013/2/11/3977266/fulmer-cupdate-florida-off-to-a-smoking-start)

Let me see if I have good Fulmer Cup math:

Pettway and Hayes were charged with two counts of second-degree robbery
I am guessing felony, so 3 pts per charge times two for each Bammer (12 pts)

Eddie Williams was charged with both fraudulent use of a credit card and two counts of second-degree robbery
They might make the credit card thing a single point misdemeanor but the two robbery counts will be 3 each methinks (7 pts)

Calloway was charged with fraudulent use of a credit card
One ****ing point.
= 20 pts

Good enough to surpass Florida into the championship game, despite tying for the divisional lead with 1-loss each. S-E-C! S-E-C!

KantoSooner
2/12/2013, 02:56 PM
The folks down in Miami are wiping away tears and slowly peeling off their 'Thug U' T-shirts, knowing, sadly, that they really no longer deserve to wear them. And that the Mighty SEC has taken that, too, away from them.

PalmBeachSooner
2/12/2013, 05:15 PM
''This is a very serious matter and we are very disappointed in the actions that have resulted in the charges against these student-athletes,'' Alabama athletic director Mal Moore said in a statement.

It kind of sounds like he is disappointed that someone ( da police) took action and not so much in the players.

LRoss
2/12/2013, 05:18 PM
This really is pretty incredible. I read an article that said they used the cc to buy snacks from a vending machine on campus. Now maybe they bought more than that, but seriously? You're going to ambush and cold-**** a dude unconscious, steal his wallet, and buy. . . freaking Cheetos? In what world is that anywhere near a reasonable risk/reward? And the one dude with another arrest the literal day before? Oh my goodness. I was young and dumb once, and that was with probably a much better upbringing than they had. So I really do try to have some grace and understand that people do dumb stuff and that I've done dumb stuff too and it shouldn't be surprising, but this one -- just wow.

KantoSooner
2/12/2013, 05:30 PM
Sometimes the stupid goes all the way to the bone.

mainline13
2/12/2013, 06:01 PM
It kind of sounds like he is disappointed that someone ( da police) took action and not so much in the players.

But actions were taken, which probably means that Saban needs a couple of scholarships freed up.

MichiganSooner
2/12/2013, 06:13 PM
Didn't they oversign anyway? Might as well clear out room for 4 of the recruits.

tycat947
2/12/2013, 06:17 PM
Didn't they oversign anyway? Might as well clear out room for 4 of the recruits.

Ahhhhhh, Yes! How conVENient!!!

GDC
2/12/2013, 06:33 PM
Ha ha where's Sabanball to spin this...

trwxxa
2/12/2013, 08:09 PM
For those of you who keep score. * from Scout

Calloway - 2011 - 4*
Hayes - 2012 - 4*
Pettway - 2011 - 3*
Williams - 2012 - 4*

I guess stars don't equal intelligence

Sabanball
2/12/2013, 08:44 PM
The stupidity of young people never ceases to amaze me. To throw away a golden opportunity to play at what is right now the premier college football program in America with a great support system in place and for a coach that will one day go down as one of THE very best to ever prowl a college sideline, all apparently for a stolen student P-card to supposedly buy SNACKS from a vending machine in the football dorm and steal a Macbook Pro laptop--I just don't get it and frankly it's beyond comprehension. Add to that the vicious assault of two fellow students(one was beaten unconscious) and this one is downright outrageous.

All the facts are not in yet, but we know enough to see where this is headed. According to confessions made by at least three of the players, these guys are ALL guilty of felonious acts and probably need to worry more at this point about having the freedom to walk the streets rather than being able to attend our university, much less be on the football team. None of the players were starters, but Eddie Williams was expected to contribute in a major way at some point--heavily recruited out of Panama City, FL, as a 5 star a yr ago, many thought he might develop into the next Julio Jones. As someone that follows Bama football very closely, I would say that he was the only loss here, from strictly a football standpoint. On the legal front, they will all probably get youthful offender status except maybe Calloway, who has a prior offense involving marijuana. He could definitely be looking at some hard time, perhaps the others as well, depending on whether or not they get youthful offender status in court. In any event, rest assured that their lockers will be cleaned out by the weekend. Their football careers at the capstone are over.

On the bright side, Nick's got 4 more schollies to hand out now....:nevreness:

Blue
2/12/2013, 08:49 PM
On the bright side, Nick's got 4 more schollies to hand out now....

Ugh. Sad but true.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ol Nicky Saban himself hadn't framed them...;)

Tulsa_Fireman
2/12/2013, 09:23 PM
Yeah, he's got forty-six more players with letters of intent signed that need those four schollies.

soonerhubs
2/12/2013, 09:41 PM
Yeah, he's got forty-six more players with letters of intent signed that need those four schollies.

Winner!

tulsaoilerfan
2/12/2013, 09:52 PM
Just makes room for some more grayshirts that are waiting in the wings

Soonerjeepman
2/12/2013, 11:09 PM
I was young and dumb once, and that was with probably a much better upbringing than they had. So I really do try to have some grace and understand that people do dumb stuff and that I've done dumb stuff too and it shouldn't be surprising, but this one -- just wow.

I teach in an area where I'm assuming you mean they "grew up"...I can almost guarantee that at some point and probably MANY points in their life they were told, preached to, shown better ways to do things. At some point the kids are responsible for their actions.

Not saying you think they shouldn't but this "where they grew up" excuse is that, an excuse. I know many kids that grew up the same way and turned out decent.

LRoss
2/12/2013, 11:26 PM
I teach in an area where I'm assuming you mean they "grew up"...I can almost guarantee that at some point and probably MANY points in their life they were told, preached to, shown better ways to do things. At some point the kids are responsible for their actions.

Not saying you think they shouldn't but this "where they grew up" excuse is that, an excuse. I know many kids that grew up the same way and turned out decent.

Not sure where you found an excuse in my post. The point was that I tried to have a certain level of understanding for them, but ended up shaking my head. I thought it was pretty clear.

salth2o
2/13/2013, 12:36 AM
Parole Tide.

Blue
2/13/2013, 12:44 AM
Parole Tide.

Yes!

olevetonahill
2/13/2013, 12:58 AM
So If they dont get Jail time. What team is hard up enough to pick em up?

Scott D
2/13/2013, 05:00 AM
So If they dont get Jail time. What team is hard up enough to pick em up?

Lane Kiffin will be on the phone within minutes of their hearing.

olevetonahill
2/13/2013, 06:33 AM
Lane Kiffin will be on the phone within minutes of their hearing.

Heh, What WAS i thinkin :stupid:

jkjsooner
2/13/2013, 09:04 AM
This is as good as it gets for Bama. If the guys are ballers they'll have a little short suspension. If the guys are underperforming it's a great excuse to open up spots for incoming freshmen so they don't have to greyshirt as many.

MichiganSooner
2/13/2013, 12:08 PM
Ahhhhhh, Yes! How conVENient!!!

Correction: how CONvenient!!!!!

SoonerLB
2/13/2013, 12:15 PM
Parole Tide.

I can hear it now, the new SEC chant, "Pa - Roll Tide!" :D