PDA

View Full Version : LNC crowd

Ruf/Nek7
2/12/2013, 01:00 PM
Since i now find myself over 5 hrs from Norman, i am left to watch most OU events on tv. I must say, the crowd that was present for the upset over KU was amazing. It has been a llllooonnggggg time since we have had a crowd like that. Here is a link with some awesome pics http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021013aac.html

Now, how do we reward our players after that amazing a victory? An enormous show of 8,948 people (per Yahoo sports). First off, i call BS on that number. I don't even think there were 800 people there. Definitely won't be receiving any tweets from our players about our undying support. This team deserves our attendance. Our attendance is what will show young men what playing at OU is all about. We look pathetic when we have a game on ESPNU and you only see 10 people in the lower section that is visible the entire game. Who the hell wants to come play for that? Come on people, get out there and support these guys! Let's get this program back on track. Let's give this amazing coach what he desires in a crowd.

Sorry for the rant.

badger
2/12/2013, 01:19 PM
I don't fault the fans for that one -- 6 p.m. weeknight. OU clearly chose national TV over the fans' attendance with a scheduled start time like that. That's not necessarily a bad choice, but it was OU's decision, not the fan's.

Boomer.....
2/12/2013, 01:25 PM
The 8,000+ was tickets sold. The game time was a problem, but the bigger problem is having the old donor no-shows sitting in the lower bowl.

Lott's Bandana
2/12/2013, 01:45 PM
Also, I-35 was closed most of the afternoon and that caused some late-shows and probably some no-shows as well.

And...it was TCU. Gawd, they suck.

tycat947
2/12/2013, 01:45 PM
I don't fault the fans for that one -- 6 p.m. weeknight. OU clearly chose national TV over the fans' attendance with a scheduled start time like that. That's not necessarily a bad choice, but it was OU's decision, not the fan's.

This!!! Also, I think the Big 12 probably had as much say or more than OU on choosing when we played. We do have a Big 12 contracts with ABC/ESPiN/Fox that we have to live up to without a lot of input. OU playing TCU at 6 pm would probably have significantly more viewers than Tech/TCU or osu/TCU.

Ruf/Nek7
2/12/2013, 01:48 PM

I understand that, but would that have stopped KU fans from filling up the Phog? I know someone will make a comment about football/basketball school but IMO, it should be all about supporting OU programs (all of them) I love this school so much, i want to see every program succeed and show others in the NCAA that we support our teams and that we are the best. Just how i feel.

badger
2/12/2013, 02:17 PM
I understand that, but would that have stopped KU fans from filling up the Phog? I know someone will make a comment about football/basketball school but IMO, it should be all about supporting OU programs (all of them) I love this school so much, i want to see every program succeed and show others in the NCAA that we support our teams and that we are the best. Just how i feel.

They got the 8 p.m. weeknight game. We got stuck with 6 p.m. I think that were the roles reversed, we definitely would have had more and they would have had less, even for hosting their little bro (sorry KSU, but you are the little brother even if you beat KU in football). I think Phog would have eventually filled, but I also think they would have had late arrivals due to most people working 8-5 or 9-6

Lott's Bandana
2/12/2013, 02:30 PM
The Phog always fills, even when they play Wichita YMCA.

tycat947
2/12/2013, 03:55 PM

DING, DING, DING!!! We have a winner! TOTALLY AGREE! 115,000 people in Norman and 1.3M in OKC area and we can't get 10,000 fans? I don't understand but am glad that we're improving with attendance this season.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 04:37 PM
If I lived in Oklahoma, I'd be at as many games as I could possibly attend. However, I'm an OU fanatic, and went to a lot of hoops game in down years (and most home games in the Blake era).

OU needs a new arena. Back when I was in school (and that's been a while), I thought the LNC was pretty bad. It certainly hasn't gotten any better. It doesn't lend itself to an exciting atmosphere. Maybe even a smaller arena is in order.

NMSooner'80
2/12/2013, 05:22 PM
DING, DING, DING!!! We have a winner! TOTALLY AGREE! 115,000 people in Norman and 1.3M in OKC area and we can't get 10,000 fans? I don't understand but am glad that we're improving with attendance this season.

I think the early start did hurt, but OU should get at least 8,000 for East Popcorn State. And, the LNC is still an invalid excuse for not showing up - it's not that old and is about the right size for a school like OU.

badger
2/12/2013, 05:32 PM
Fans don't automatically come back right away win the winning starts up again. OU is going to have to endure (hopefully not too long) more recovery from their Capel problem. OSU is currently paying for abusing their longtime fans via price gouging on mediocrity too, so it's not unheard of.

The economy is definitely a factor too. $5 (kids) to $40 (lower level) per person, plus gas plus concessions etc etc etc.

I'm glad there's a lot of enthusiasm here for fans to get fired up and put butts in seats, but... again, it's not like OU is bending over backwards to get fans to go, and I'm sure that once again the yellow shirts were stopping people from going downstairs

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 11:37 PM
Fans don't automatically come back right away win the winning starts up again. OU is going to have to endure (hopefully not too long) more recovery from their Capel problem. OSU is currently paying for abusing their longtime fans via price gouging on mediocrity too, so it's not unheard of.

The economy is definitely a factor too. $5 (kids) to $40 (lower level) per person, plus gas plus concessions etc etc etc.

I'm glad there's a lot of enthusiasm here for fans to get fired up and put butts in seats, but... again, it's not like OU is bending over backwards to get fans to go, and I'm sure that once again the yellow shirts were stopping people from going downstairs

I think you hit the nail on the head about winning fans back.

As for the economy, I don't think that's an issue. Even though OU is a football school, fans have no problem packing Memorial Stadium and spending a ton of money on parking, food, etc. I realize that it's only 5 or 6 Saturday's a year, but there's also about 10 times more fans there.

It's about winning. If the men continue to win, fans will return.

Soonerus
2/12/2013, 11:40 PM
It looked like 10-12 students showed up...

Lott's Bandana
2/13/2013, 09:20 AM
There were a few times when I wondered why I was there...especially when it was like 38-11.

MsProudSooner
2/13/2013, 09:38 AM

I don't think they are doing that any more. As far as I know, allowing people to move to the lower bowl after the first media timeout is SOP now.

Ruf/Nek7
2/13/2013, 09:43 AM
If I lived in Oklahoma, I'd be at as many games as I could possibly attend. However, I'm an OU fanatic, and went to a lot of hoops game in down years (and most home games in the Blake era).

OU needs a new arena. Back when I was in school (and that's been a while), I thought the LNC was pretty bad. It certainly hasn't gotten any better. It doesn't lend itself to an exciting atmosphere. Maybe even a smaller arena is in order.

This^^^^^ Rowing is getting a new facility and other sports programs are getting upgrades. I know they renovated the sound system for LNC in 09 i believe but i agree with the fact that we need a new arena.

badger
2/13/2013, 11:44 AM
Maybe I'm more understanding since I'm a new mom and our family can't get out as much as we used to :D

For those that can make it, go. For those that are stuck at home changing diapers and aiming the little plastic spoon for baby's mouth but getting applesauce everywhere else instead, I understand. :P

Ruf/Nek7
2/13/2013, 11:54 AM
Just watched the video from the whole Nathan Mitcham thing in Owasso and they packed that place with more people than the LNC has averaged this year.

MsProudSooner
2/13/2013, 03:20 PM
Just watched the video from the whole Nathan Mitcham thing in Owasso and they packed that place with more people than the LNC has averaged this year.

I'm sorry, but I read that article in the Tulsa World this morning and it said that there were 2K in that gym. If you want to be critical of people who buy tickets but don't use them, I'm with you. But try to be more accurate if you want people to take you seriously.

OUSKINS
2/14/2013, 07:11 AM
Lets just face facts.... in general no one cards about OU basketball. Even in the 80's with Tubbs, we have some very revisionist history..... When Wayman died I remember all the tribute videos and was surprised to see all of the empty seats at the LNC. I was in school during the middle part of the Kelvin era and it was tough to get people to go then as well. I had season tickets during Capel's first three years and even with Blake, there were often nights with lots of empty seats.

Yes, during the late 80's and early 90's crowds were good because OU was one of the best teams in the nation and scored 100 points per game. And we've had big crowds for big games like all schools do.

But the trend for 30 years has been that the people only show up if its a very marquee opponent or if OU is one of the very best/most exciting teams in the country.

I accepted this a long time ago. Just the way it is. You have a small core of die hard hoops fans and then everyone else shows up or pays attention once they feel its worth their time.

The LNC, start times, etc have little to do with anything.

OUSKINS
2/14/2013, 07:16 AM
And I'll admit to being part of the "problem." I care about OU basketball much more than most fans do... I would much rather go to the Final Four than the NC in football. But having said that....when we moved to OKC from Tulsa in 2006, I got season tickets and had them for three years. So I went to about 15 OU per season during that time.

But three years ago, I decided to go with Thunder tickets instead. Now I only make it to the LNC 3-4 times per season.

The NBA is a much, much better product than college hoops right now and I can't afford the time and money for both. So I made my choice and I don't regret it at all. I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

jkjsooner
2/14/2013, 02:03 PM
Lets just face facts.... in general no one cards about OU basketball. Even in the 80's with Tubbs, we have some very revisionist history.....

I think you're wrong about that. The attendance to OU games was very good in the early '80s through the very early '90s. We never had games where only a few thousand showed up like we've had regularly over the last decade or so.

But three years ago, I decided to go with Thunder tickets instead. Now I only make it to the LNC 3-4 times per season.

I think this has a lot to do with it. It doesn't explain everything as we've had poor attendance going back to before the Thunder but it definitely puts pressure on both OU and OSU basketball.

That will change though. I think the Thunder has had too much success too quickly. We'll see what happens in a post Durant era in OKC. I want Oklahoma to support an NBA team but I think it will be hard when the level of play drops off in a few years. Guys like Durant don't come around very often.

Taxman71
2/14/2013, 03:36 PM
1. The student section was nonexistent on Monday. Not sure why.
2. The yellow coats didn't stop anyone from going down, just that most of us season ticket holders enjoy visiting with the people who have sat around us for the last 10 years.

I think OU, and nearly every other school, sold out the gameday atmosphere in exchange for tv money. Same thing happens in football at other schools.

MsProudSooner
2/14/2013, 04:34 PM
I think you're wrong about that. The attendance to OU games was very good in the early '80s through the very early '90s. We never had games where only a few thousand showed up like we've had regularly over the last decade or so.

Some people don't remember that in the early 80's there weren't nearly as many games on TV. I lived about 30 miles outside of Tulsa and listened to most games on the radio in the early 1980's. Even the radio was difficult, because the station that carried the games didn't have a strong signal in our area. More than once I listened to the end of a game in the car because the radio in the house wouldn't pick up the signal.

I suspect TV coverage has a lot to do with lowered attendance numbers. Some people just won't make the effort to go to the games if they are on TV.

As for the Thunder, different strokes for different folks. I wish them all the success in the world, but the NBA (or WNBA for that matter) just isn't the game atmosphere I'm looking for.

NMSooner'80
2/14/2013, 06:09 PM
It's just me, but my alumni status means that I care more about OU men's basketball than the Thunder, any time, any day, of any week. If I lived in Oklahoma, I'd never pick the Thunder over the Sooners, especially now that Capel and the Three Stooges are gone from the program.

One4OU
2/14/2013, 06:23 PM
I would like to know why a new arena would pack the house? Lots of people only point out that LNC sucks but I just cant believe a new stadium would make much difference. Anyone have a valid reason as to why?

MsProudSooner
2/14/2013, 07:00 PM
I would like to know why a new arena would pack the house? Lots of people only point out that LNC sucks but I just cant believe a new stadium would make much difference. Anyone have a valid reason as to why?

The biggest problem w/ LNC is it was designed as an 'all purpose arena' and not designed specifically as a basketball arena. The seats aren't close enough to the court.

tycat947
2/14/2013, 07:26 PM

It wouldn't. Any excuse that can be used is used.

8timechamps
2/14/2013, 07:38 PM

I'm not proposing a new area as an incentive to increase attendance. I'd like to see a new arena because, well, the LNC is not conducive to an exciting atmosphere. I've been to well over 100 games at the LNC, and there have been some times when the place was rockin', but I can probably count on one hand how many times that happened. It's dark, dreary and not the best venue to watch a basketball game.

Like MsProudSooner said, it was designed as a multi-purpose arena, and has done well in that regard. But, it's starting to become the ugly wart, on an otherwise state-of-the art athletic campus. In fact, and I mentioned this in my initial post about this, I'd be for a smaller arena. It doesn't have to be the biggest thing in the country, but I'd like to see something nicer than what we currently have. Attendance notwithstanding.

Lott's Bandana
2/15/2013, 08:45 AM
I think it would be cool if they played some games that aren't going to be big draws, at the Field House. Alvan Adams baby!