PDA

View Full Version : Is Shipp next?

MO_Sooner
2/12/2013, 12:58 PM
http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

I have no idea how reliable this source is.

badger
2/12/2013, 01:26 PM
While I don't hope this on a Sooner alum coach, he has had several prominent players --- GK, Dusty D and Tommie. Given the talent we've recruited, I kind of expect us to have more than three stars on the DL than three. For example, after all the notoriety over McFarland's recruiting (even the NY Times) I expected more out of him.

But again, I don't hope for this for a Sooner alum coach.

Ruf/Nek7
2/12/2013, 01:43 PM
Just read the same thing via Sooner Nation on facebook. Interesting off season to say the least. Oh, also, Toby Johnson apparently will commit to Auburn so you guys can forget about him and OU.

SoonerMarkVA
2/12/2013, 01:58 PM
I hope this isn't because Mike's UA D-line coach is looking for work. (Did that sound bitter?)

EatLeadCommie
2/12/2013, 02:14 PM
If true, who would some candidates be?

One4OU
2/12/2013, 02:20 PM

Lots of qualified candidates available all the way from The Stoop's brothers gardener to their best friends, girlfriends, mechanics uncle.

swardboy
2/12/2013, 02:38 PM
It's about time that one Stoops brother graduates from high school coaching.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 03:05 PM

Calvin Thibodeaux could be one.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 04:00 PM
If this is true (and it appears to be), it's not too surprising.

I'll always appreciate what Shipp did as both a player and coach, but let's face it, he hadn't been getting it done lately.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 04:02 PM
Dusty and Teddy say it isn't true. Who knows?

sooner KB
2/12/2013, 04:06 PM
Tosh Lupoi from Washington. Young, former NFL starter, developed two defensive linemen at Cal that were 1st round NFL draft picks, was the 2010 Rivals Recruiter of the Year, was one of 247 Sport's top 50 recruiters this year, intelligent person (All-Academic in college and has a master's degree in education).

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 04:06 PM
Calvin Thibodeaux could be one.

This is picking up steam.

I like his connection to the program, and his youth. We'll see...

Boomer.....
2/12/2013, 04:11 PM
Carey Murdock confirmed it. Shipp is out.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 04:27 PM
Stoops want to have both coaches replaced within the next 10 days. Apparently there are two candidates that are very close to terms.

I don't know names, just that tidbit of information.

EatLeadCommie
2/12/2013, 04:28 PM
Tosh Lupoi from Washington. Young, former NFL starter, developed two defensive linemen at Cal that were 1st round NFL draft picks, was the 2010 Rivals Recruiter of the Year, was one of 247 Sport's top 50 recruiters this year.

That would be a great hire. Just read his bio.

I think Calvin is a bit unseasoned at this point.

badger
2/12/2013, 04:37 PM
More media reporting it now (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130212_92_0_Jackie574527), but just "reports" and "sources" for the most part it appears

Reading into it more than I probably should, is Stoops feeling the heat for co-winning the Big 12, for ceding the Big 12 to Poke last year, for not making a BCS bowl since the UConn Fiesta Bowl, for not being mentioned in the same breath as the top SEC teams, for the low preseason rankings for next year?

Monster Zero
2/12/2013, 04:38 PM
Carey Murdock confirmed it. Shipp is out.

Hate to see it. I always thought of Coach Shipp as a good guy, I hope he lands on his feet. I'd like to see him at Tulsa.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 04:39 PM
More media reporting it now (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130212_92_0_Jackie574527), but just "reports" and "sources" for the most part it appears

Reading into it more than I probably should, is Stoops feeling the heat for co-winning the Big 12, for ceding the Big 12 to Poke last year, for not making a BCS bowl since the UConn Fiesta Bowl, for not being mentioned in the same breath as the top SEC teams, for the low preseason rankings for next year?

I would say that's exactly why the changes were made. Things are good enough now that Stoops knows his job isn't in jeopardy, but not good enough to keep the status quo.

badger
2/12/2013, 04:41 PM
Hate to see it. I always thought of Coach Shipp as a good guy, I hope he lands on his feet. I'd like to see him at Tulsa.

Dare I suggest that he might be headed to Indiana also?

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 04:46 PM
I think Calvin is a bit unseasoned at this point.

Seasoned stalwarts are looking for coordinator positions.

If you think he has what it takes, get him early.

cherokeebrewer
2/12/2013, 04:55 PM
A shake up was certainly needed but this one makes me a little sad...

PalmBeachSooner
2/12/2013, 05:02 PM
Dare I suggest that he might be headed to Indiana also?

Yes, go for it!

picasso
2/12/2013, 05:21 PM
A shake up was certainly needed but this one makes me a little sad...

Me too.

KantoSooner
2/12/2013, 05:33 PM
[URL="http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130212_92_0_Jackie574527"] for not being mentioned in the same breath as the top SEC teams

To me, that's the winnah, raht thar.

soonervegas
2/12/2013, 05:44 PM
Hopefully, these changes will allow us to continue to experience 10 win seasons and humiliating defeats in bowl games.

Because I think we were done getting to that level without fresh blood at the assistant coach level.

EatLeadCommie
2/12/2013, 06:29 PM
Hopefully, these changes will allow us to continue to experience 10 win seasons and humiliating defeats in bowl games.

Because I think we were done getting to that level without fresh blood at the assistant coach level.

Hopefully not. If the problem lies with Stoops being loyal to his assistants (and not getting rid of them for too long) rather than Stoops himself, we shall know in a few years. I've always given Bob the benefit of the doubt, assuming he was capable of making changes to the staff. He has earned it. BV was a problem. Patton was a problem. Shipp's line this year was a big problem. If coaching changes don't bring on the expected changes, Bob will probably retire fat and happy in a few years.

Stooper
2/12/2013, 06:54 PM
It sure seems like Bob is not afraid to fire assistants, I applaud the changes. He has ran off 3 assistants on 2 years.

It makes me feel better knowing he is truly not happy with the product on the field, despite what he tells the media.

Boomer Sooner

Scott D
2/12/2013, 07:03 PM
Hopefully not. If the problem lies with Stoops being loyal to his assistants (and not getting rid of them for too long) rather than Stoops himself, we shall know in a few years. I've always given Bob the benefit of the doubt, assuming he was capable of making changes to the staff. He has earned it. BV was a problem. Patton was a problem. Shipp's line this year was a big problem. If coaching changes don't bring on the expected changes, Bob will probably retire fat and happy in a few years.

Except on average, this staff has had turnover of one coach per season since Stoops arrived in 1999. While you hate to see loyal individuals let go in that regard, the truth of the matter is that the product in both the recruiting game and in player development has been a concern in regards to that particular coach for some time now.

That being said, can we get Chris Wilson back from the SEC?

Salt City Sooner
2/12/2013, 07:25 PM
Except on average, this staff has had turnover of one coach per season since Stoops arrived in 1999. While you hate to see loyal individuals let go in that regard, the truth of the matter is that the product in both the recruiting game and in player development has been a concern in regards to that particular coach for some time now.

That being said, can we get Chris Wilson back from the SEC?
Doubt it, he just left MSU to go to Georgia last month. FWIW, Blevins said on radio that he heard it's Mike Tuiasosopo.

goingoneight
2/12/2013, 07:29 PM
I'm just becoming more and more disturbed by the fact that the guys we've been bringing on since last year to replace our known winners have been Mike Stoops, Tim Kish, Bill Bedenbaugh and now supposedly another yawner from the Arizona family coaching tree. Hope those guys can do far better at OU than they've done... well, anywhere else. Bedenbaugh hire means you're getting away from a spread-oriented offensive line philosophy and moving toward a spread-oriented offensive line philosophy.
It's a real stretch to imagine these guys doing any better right now.

sooneron
2/12/2013, 07:46 PM
Me too.

Me three

rockfromcon
2/12/2013, 08:01 PM
Bill Young or Calvin Thibodeaux please. Bill Young may be old but you know he wants to stick it to the Pokes after they ran him off. He also use to be a very good coordinator, put him in charge of the interior with BJW working the ends. Please NOBODY ELSE FROM ARIZONA. The only person from Mike's Arizona staffs that interests me is Seth Littrell and he's a former Sooner.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/12/2013, 08:03 PM
I'm just becoming more and more disturbed by the fact that the guys we've been bringing on since last year to replace our known winners have been Mike Stoops, Tim Kish, Bill Bedenbaugh and now supposedly another yawner from the Arizona family coaching tree. Hope those guys can do far better at OU than they've done... well, anywhere else. Bedenbaugh hire means you're getting away from a spread-oriented offensive line philosophy and moving toward a spread-oriented offensive line philosophy.
It's a real stretch to imagine these guys doing any better right now.

You would almost think Arizona was good with all the urgency to replicate their coaching staff in Norman. I don't get why Stoops is looking no further than Mike's old staff for coaches.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 08:36 PM
Patton, Shipp and now Kittle. This was more than just a little "shake up".

boomersooner28
2/12/2013, 09:29 PM
I just want some guys that can RECRUIT!

tulsaoilerfan
2/12/2013, 09:51 PM
Damn no matter what Stoops does it's impossible to please some of you; everyone was on board with coaches going, but now that they have gone there are a few of you that are complaining about that; crap at least Bob is trying to fix whatever problems may be on the staff

Tulsa_Fireman
2/12/2013, 09:52 PM
Better listen to him. He's pre-med.

SoonerMarkVA
2/13/2013, 12:09 AM
Damn no matter what Stoops does it's impossible to please some of you; everyone was on board with coaches going, but now that they have gone there are a few of you that are complaining about that; crap at least Bob is trying to fix whatever problems may be on the staff

I like that Stoops is making some changes. I'm pretty alarmed, though, that it seems to be to make room for ex UA coaches. This is an opportunity to bring in new blood, not the failed collection that happened in Tucson. If it works, then Stoops is a genius. But it's hard to see right now.

sooneron
2/13/2013, 09:44 AM
^THIS^

PalmBeachSooner
2/13/2013, 02:16 PM
Mike Stoops wants to see how his Arizona staff would have done if they had OU's talent...probably...maybe.

picasso
2/13/2013, 02:43 PM
Bill Young or Calvin Thibodeaux please. Bill Young may be old but you know he wants to stick it to the Pokes after they ran him off. He also use to be a very good coordinator, put him in charge of the interior with BJW working the ends. Please NOBODY ELSE FROM ARIZONA. The only person from Mike's Arizona staffs that interests me is Seth Littrell and he's a former Sooner.

Good God no.

SoonerMom2
2/13/2013, 04:44 PM
Some of you act like coaches don't bring in people they know - it happens at all schools. I grew up in Ohio with Miami of OH providing coaches for The OSU. The coach from AZ is well thought of and has ties in the Polynesian community and is considered one of the best recruiters in the PAC 12. I cannot believe the negativity out of some of you. You want coaches gone and when they go you don't like who they want to hire. If I was the defensive or offensive coordinator, I would want to hire my own people I was comfortable with. Patton came here after he was with Wilson at Northwestern when there was an opening. Happens all the time not just at OU.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 04:47 PM
Some of you act like coaches don't bring in people they know - it happens at all schools. I grew up in Ohio with Miami of OH providing coaches for The OSU. The coach from AZ is well thought of and has ties in the Polynesian community and is considered one of the best recruiters in the PAC 12. I cannot believe the negativity out of some of you. You want coaches gone and when they go you don't like who they want to hire. If I was the defensive or offensive coordinator, I would want to hire my own people I was comfortable with. Patton came here after he was with Wilson at Northwestern when there was an opening. Happens all the time not just at OU.

I don't think anyone will be upset if/when Bedenbaugh joins the staff. I think the concern is that we don't want to become Arizona 2.0. It has nothing to do with an individual and everything to do with the fact that Mike's Arizona teams weren't great.

Now, having said that, there's also a big difference in getting kids to come to OU versus Arizona. So, it's possible that the philosophy Mike used at Arizona would win a national title at Oklahoma.

Either way, I trust Bob to do what's best.