PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Committee Drops Wrestling From 2020 Games

Fraggle145
2/12/2013, 09:23 AM
****ing ***** *** bull****. Been there since Olympiad #1. **** on tradition you ****ing ****s. But sure those wimmens need field hockey.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/02/12/sports/olympics/ap-oly-ioc-meetings.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1&

Olympic Committee Drops Wrestling From 2020 Games

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — IOC leaders dropped wrestling from the Olympic program on Tuesday, a surprise decision that removes one of the oldest Olympic sports from the 2020 Games.
The IOC executive board decided to retain modern pentathlon — the event considered most at risk — and remove wrestling instead from its list of 25 "core sports."

The IOC board acted after reviewing the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.

Wrestling, which combines freestyle and Greco-Roman events, goes back to the inaugural modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.

"This is a process of renewing and renovating the program for the Olympics," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "In the view of the executive board, this was the best program for the Olympic Games in 2020. It's not a case of what's wrong with wrestling, it is what's right with the 25 core sports."

Adams said the decision was made by secret ballot over several rounds, with members voting each time on which sport should not be included in the core group. IOC President Jacques Rogge did not vote.

Wrestling was voted out from a final group that also included modern pentathlon, taekwondo and field hockey, officials familiar with the vote told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the voting details were not made public.

The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity. With no official rankings or recommendations contained in the report, the final decision by the 15-member board was also subject to political, emotional and sentimental factors.

The international wrestling federation, known by the French acronym FILA, is headed by Raphael Martinetti and is based in Corsier-sur-Vevey, Switzerland. Calls to the federation for comment were not immediately returned.

Wrestling featured 344 athletes competing in 11 medal events in freestyle and seven in Greco-Roman at last year's London Olympics. Women's wrestling was added to the Olympics at the 2004 Athens Games.

Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.

The IOC executive board will meet in May in St. Petersburg, Russia, to decide which sport or sports to propose for 2020 inclusion. The final vote will be made at the IOC session, or general assembly, in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

It is extremely unlikely that wrestling would be voted back in so soon after being removed by the executive board.

"Today's decision is not final," Adams said. "The session is sovereign and the session will make the final decision."

The last sports removed from the Olympics were baseball and softball, voted out by the IOC in 2005 and off the program since the 2008 Beijing Games. Golf and rugby will be joining the program at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Previously considered under the closest scrutiny was modern pentathlon, which has been on the Olympic program since the 1912 Stockholm Games. It was created by French baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympic movement, and combines fencing, horse riding, swimming, running and shooting.

Klaus Schormann, president of governing body UIPM, lobbied hard to protect his sport's Olympic status and it paid off in the end.

"We have promised things and we have delivered," he said after Tuesday's decision. "That gives me a great feeling. It also gives me new energy to develop our sport further and never give up."

Modern pentathlon also benefited from the work of Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr., the son of the former IOC president who is a UIPM vice president and member of the IOC board.

"We were considered weak in some of the scores in the program commission report but strong in others," Samaranch told the AP. "We played our cards to the best of our ability and stressed the positives. Tradition is one of our strongest assets, but we are also a multi-sport discipline that produces very complete people."

pphilfran
2/12/2013, 09:39 AM
They will add hopscotch or cup stacking...

FaninAma
2/12/2013, 09:40 AM
"It's all about the dough-ray-me, son!"

Actually it sounds like it's all about the political connections and who sits on the committee that makes the decision.

sooner_born_1960
2/12/2013, 09:49 AM
You did see the Dutch women playing field hockey, right?

KantoSooner
2/12/2013, 10:00 AM
How about we drop the running events. So much build up, so little actual time spent competing. Especially that 100meter dash thing. 30 minutes of chit chat, 10 seconds of running. Worthless!

Fraggle145
2/12/2013, 10:01 AM
The Dutch women can do one of the 3 events with a boat... Put em on a sail boat and they'll look great. BTW can the make me a sammich?

badger
2/12/2013, 10:01 AM
I admit to being intrigued by wrestling via that B1G Network that Uverse has me subscribed to (that and Bevo TV... they sure have weird taste in deciding sports channels for Oklahomans) but for the most part, it is not exactly a spectator sport. It will be interesting to see what replaces it...

1- baseball and softball: Other than making softball co-ed (requiring a certain number of male and female players on the field at any given time, for example), the baseball thing is not coming back since MLB now does the World Baseball Classic.

2- karate: If they were about to drop taekwondo, why would they consider karate?

3- squash: Oh great another racquet sport the Chinese can cheat at (see badminton, 2012 london) and dominate.

4- roller sports: Like hockey on roller blades, or speed skating on not-ice? Either way, sounds like they're stealing a winter olympic sport

5- sport climbing: This might be fun, since it could be American Gladiator-like... or boring climb-climb-climb.

6- wakeboarding: Meh. TV probably wouldn't enjoy trying to film this

7- wushu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wushu_%28sport%29) no i haven't heard of it either

Basically, there's gonna be a huge outcry from this announcement and they're going to vote wrestling back in. Maybe they should cut back on the weight classes a bit. Maybe they should eliminate greco-roman and make it all freestyle. The rest just don't fit

TheHumanAlphabet
2/12/2013, 10:19 AM
The Olympics have been dead to me for some time. I do not watch that carp anymore. Hell, The winter games are a year off and NBC is starting to promo it. IF it ceased, few would miss it...

texaspokieokie
2/12/2013, 10:45 AM
This.

KantoSooner
2/12/2013, 10:45 AM
I'm telling ya, full contact team sword fighting has a real future. Three divisions:

1. "Scouting Party" = two teams of 7 fighters each. 20 minute time limit.
2. 'Melee' = 2-6 teams of 25 fighters each. 30 minutes.
3. 'Freestyle' = 2-6 teams of 12 fighters each, DRAWN AT RANDOM FROM THE STANDS. "Good morning, sir. You're an American? Excellent! Change into this jersey, YOU'RE AN OLYMPIAN!" 15 minutes.

Cutlasses.

One point for each team member still standing at 'time'.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/12/2013, 10:46 AM
A disappointing and shocking decision.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/19/08/19084ccde1dab1c8b5b2fa370e523ae2.jpg

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 04:25 PM
Softball is still petitioning the IOC for re-admittance. Baseball is piggybacking their request.

The World Baseball Classic is nice, but not a good replacement for Olympic baseball. Realistically, they can coexist, and I'll watch neither.

I do like the winter games, but even those are losing my interest. At this rate, the U.S. will have no interest in the Olympics within the next 20 years.

Jacie
2/12/2013, 05:42 PM
While a couple of Americans gold medaled in wrestling at the 2012 games, I think overall this change will affect the Russians' medal count more than ours.

reflector
2/12/2013, 06:33 PM
This news absolutely stinks. My favorite Olympic moment, ever, was when Rulon Gardner beat Alexander Karelin to win the Gold for the USA. I was born in 1979, so the Miracle on Ice was when I was very young for that. Wrestling is probably my favorite sport in the Summer Olympics. I really hope they reconsider this decision.

GDC
2/12/2013, 06:37 PM
I say bring back tug of war.

FirstandGoal
2/12/2013, 07:02 PM
Cheer up guys, maybe they'll add something like mud wresting instead.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 07:08 PM
This news absolutely stinks. My favorite Olympic moment, ever, was when Rulon Gardner beat Alexander Karelin to win the Gold for the USA. I was born in 1979, so the Miracle on Ice was when I was very young for that. Wrestling is probably my favorite sport in the Summer Olympics. I really hope they reconsider this decision.

That's my fondest memory too.

At that time, Karelin embodied all that was Russia during the cold war. He looked the part. Garder was all American, a good 'ole boy from the country. It was like Rocky IV, except better...and real.

Soonerfan88
2/12/2013, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately, they have replaced wrestling with golf. You are removing one of the original events celebrated by the Greeks so we can watch GOLF!?!?!?!?!? Jeebus, if you need your white ball fix that bad, flip over to the Golf Channel for a replay of the Masters. No one can convince me this decision wasn't made after a few envelopes of cash were conveniently found by IOC members.

BajaOklahoma
2/12/2013, 10:23 PM
This has not gone over well in our house. My husband was a high school wrestler. I like freestyle better than G/R.
And bring back softball.

sooneron
2/13/2013, 01:01 PM
I'm no wrasslin fan, but this is bogus. It's pretty fun to watch during the Olympics when there's a medal on the line.

I still like a lot of the Winter Games, tho, I'm an avid skiier.
I love golf, but it has no business being in the Olympics. That's what the majors and WGC or match play whatever are for...

badger
2/13/2013, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately, they have replaced wrestling with golf. You are removing one of the original events celebrated by the Greeks so we can watch GOLF!?!?!?!?!? Jeebus, if you need your white ball fix that bad, flip over to the Golf Channel for a replay of the Masters. No one can convince me this decision wasn't made after a few envelopes of cash were conveniently found by IOC members.

Don't blame golf, it was already in for the 2016 games. Wrestling was dropped so they could consider the ones I listed above (squash, base/soft, karate, etc).

when Rulon Gardner beat Alexander Karelin to win the Gold for the USA

Sadly, he gained a lot of weight and lost a lot of money after that golden moment to the point that he appeared on NBC's The Biggest Loser a few seasons ago. (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8395236/rulon-gardner-latest-setback-bankruptcy)

Would you all be happy if eventually UFC was in the Olympics instead of, or in addition to wrestling?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/13/2013, 01:31 PM
They will add hopscotch or cup stacking...fershure Freestyle Rhythmic Gymnastics and Greco-Roman Freestyle Gymnastics.

2/13/2013, 01:49 PM
...for the most part, it is NOT exactly a SPECTATOR SPORT. It will be interesting to see what replaces it...

Basically, there's gonna be a huge outcry from this announcement and they're going to vote wrestling back in. Maybe they should cut back on the weight classes a bit. Maybe they should eliminate greco-roman and make it all freestyle. The rest just don't fit It can be a good spectator sport if the ref makes the contestants be aggressive.

I have never warmed up to Greco -Roman. It's too far removed from college and highschool style, and I get the feeling that it might not be very popular anywhere else either. I hope you're right that they bring it back.

Fraggle145
2/13/2013, 02:07 PM
Would you all be happy if eventually UFC was in the Olympics instead of, or in addition to wrestling?

No. They are two entirely different sports.

I just dont get the need to put in all of these sports that have their own professional pinnacles and where the gold medal is at best the 2nd greatest achievement you can obtain in the sport. In wrestling the gold medal is top. Greater than any world championship.

OU68
2/13/2013, 02:28 PM
I never gave wrestling a thought till a fraternity brother drug me to a match - Wayne Wells was an animal!!

2/13/2013, 03:07 PM
I never gave wrestling a thought till a fraternity brother drug me to a match - Wayne Wells was an animal!!I was at OU when we had superb teams under Tommy Evans. Wayne Wells, Brian Rice, Bill Lam, Greg Ruth, Mike Grant, David McGuire, Granville Liggins. We could and did beat Orangeaggy, and the old Fieldhouse was a perfect venue. on top of that, I lived about a block away.

We had wrestling in my HS in Tulsa(Bishop Kelley) but I never participated, nor got spectator interest til I went to OU. I loved watching the USA freestyle teams in the Olympics, all the way up through the mid 80's, and went to the Olympics in LA, where we had numerous Gold Medals...of course, the Ruskies were boycotting, and I didn't really mind that.

8timechamps
2/13/2013, 03:13 PM
Thank goodness they didn't scrap the trampoline sports! If the IOC ever got rid of trampoline or ping pong, I'd be done!

badger
2/13/2013, 03:19 PM
My OU wrestling story: One time I was loitering around the Fieldhouse on a fall day and I just meandered on back to the locker room areas when I discovered... a wrestler watching game tape on a TV next the sink... next to a beautiful Big 12 championship trophy!

It's amazing the places you can sneak into at OU without much recourse. I thought it was kind of sad that the Big 12 trophy wasn't in a place more visible to fans, though.

rock on sooner
2/13/2013, 05:50 PM
The state of Iowa is bonkers about wrestling...good high school and three
of the Big Four Universities have top flight programs. The sports pages are
full of outrage and two of the biggest names in the sport are vowing to bring
it back....Gable and Sanderson carry a lot of weight. I saw some Olympic bigwig
on TV saying that it was RECOMMENDED that the sport be dropped so I don't
think it's a done deal yet.

2/13/2013, 06:00 PM
"three of the Big Four Universities" whatchu mean?

rock on sooner
2/13/2013, 07:02 PM
In tha state...IA ST, UNI, U of IA...the fourth is Drake. I'm always amused
about the Hawkeyes when they talk about football...had a boss that had
Hawkeye gear in his office...everywhere. I asked him (with a straight face)
"Didn't know they still played?" He weren't happy with me! Had another
one that was a CornHusker fan...asked her the same question. Caught some
grief from both until I told them I was a Sooner fan...heh, they both changed
the subject....

rock on sooner
2/13/2013, 07:03 PM
In tha state...IA ST, UNI, U of IA...the fourth is Drake. I'm always amused
about the Hawkeyes when they talk about football...had a boss that had
Hawkeye gear in his office...everywhere. I asked him (with a straight face)
"Didn't know they still played?" He weren't happy with me! Had another
one that was a CornHusker fan...asked her the same question. Caught some
grief from both until I told them I was a Sooner fan...heh, they both changed
the subject....

rock on sooner
2/13/2013, 07:07 PM
Sorry double post,

SicEmBaylor
2/13/2013, 09:10 PM
I went to Tulsa with my Poke parents today and they were lamenting the fact that wrestling was cut because now it may be harder for OSU athletes to make it to the Olympics. :D

Taxman71
2/14/2013, 03:25 PM
Wrestling could be a better draw if they actually televised the matches anymore. My kids are glued to the tv when a collegiate match is on and they don't wrestle. Not to mention wrestling has really exploded in the youth age groups in the last 10 years.

My guess is that the wrestling community lacks the funds to properly "lobby" the IOC as well as the racquet/pong sports (China).

2/14/2013, 03:32 PM
While a couple of Americans gold medaled in wrestling at the 2012 games, I think overall this change will affect the Russians' medal count more than ours.The Russians lead the world in Freestyle, and have for maybe, evar. At least since I started being a fan, in the 60's. I'm pretty sure we would have fared better overall, had the competition been USA's College Style.

C&CDean
2/14/2013, 03:34 PM
I never gave a **** about wrestling until I went to watch one of my nephews wrestle in Iowa. Didn't have a clue how they scored it, etc. Up close you can see the little colored wrist bands the referee wears. When someone scores they raise their hand with the appropriate colored band on it (I think each wrestler wears a colored band on their ankle). If it's a single point they raise 1 finger, if it's a 2-point they raise 2 fingers. Pretty simple, and a lot of fun to watch live once you kinda get the rules.

All that being said, IDGAS what the Olympics do. Commercialized, sensationalized, horse****.

Jacie
2/15/2013, 07:30 AM
We were wrestling crazy at John Marshall HS in the early 70's. I was there for two of the three years (in a row) when the Bears were state champions. Spectator sport? You better believe it when the gym is full of screaming kids and your guys are slinging the other guys around like rag dolls.

badger
2/15/2013, 09:20 AM
Wrestling could be a better draw if they actually televised the matches anymore. My kids are glued to the tv when a collegiate match is on and they don't wrestle. Not to mention wrestling has really exploded in the youth age groups in the last 10 years.

My guess is that the wrestling community lacks the funds to properly "lobby" the IOC as well as the racquet/pong sports (China).

Check to see if you have either the NBC Sports Network or B1G Network on cable. That is where I usually see wrestling replays televised.

Some of the local Fox Sports channels will sometimes show OU-OSU rasslin, but usually only if they're against each other.

I agree that more people would get into it if they had the chance to watch it. There are definitely some amazing takedowns in this sport. Here's one that was recently in ESPN Mag:
EN3sJS8XnRU

Taxman71
2/15/2013, 11:12 AM
Collegiate wrestling has also gotten so technical that it can less exciting to casual fans. Not near enough takedowns as way too many wrestlers are content to win on riding time or an escape. Not enough Pat Smiths and Johnny Hdndricks out there trying to maximize takedowns. HW matches have gotten painful to watch.

2/15/2013, 12:26 PM
We were wrestling crazy at John Marshall HS in the early 70's. I was there for two of the three years (in a row) when the Bears were state champions. Spectator sport? You better believe it when the gym is full of screaming kids and your guys are slinging the other guys around like rag dolls.Too bad wrestling fans couldn't all have seen the OU-Orangeaggy matches of the mid 60's in the OU Fieldhouse. They were spectator sport at its VERY BEST!...at least, IMHO.

jkjsooner
2/15/2013, 02:22 PM
****ing ***** *** bull****. Been there since Olympiad #1. **** on tradition you ****ing ****s. But sure those wimmens need field hockey.

I'm not a wrestling fan but I don't think it should be eliminated because it is part of the tradition of the olympics.

That being said, your comment about field hockey is way off. While it is primarily a women's sport in the U.S., it is a pretty big international sport on the men's side.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/28/2013, 04:23 PM
Signs of hope ...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100507014

KantoSooner
2/28/2013, 05:12 PM
The IOC and FIFA are the two most corrupt and incompetently led sports orgs in the history of man. They make the City of New Orleans look like a model of honstry and efficiency.

badger
3/1/2013, 03:07 PM
Yeah, they picked on the wrong sport. In pretty much every other sport, the winning side can have an insurmountable lead so the losers just concede and shrivel up in defeat.

In wrestling, the underdog little guy can pin Mr. Incredible and be declared winner in a matter of seconds.

CowboyMRW
3/1/2013, 04:09 PM
OU and OSU both have very good traditions of wrestling. Hopefully it doesn't get dropped.

Supposedly, when Dr. Death got pinned in Gallagher the loudness shattered light bulbs in Gallagher. Hopefully wrestling can become more prominent in Oklahoma like it once was.