PDA

View Full Version : Hey Fraggle Do you think its possible Both sides are correct?

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 05:52 PM
Most folk with a brain Know the earth been around moren a few days right?

Now If you've ever read the Bible, In Genesis, We have all the Creating and in the beginings stuff. Then we have Gen. 2. 4

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Now if ya read the bible at all you know Folk lived a LONG dayum time back then, Plus Paul says one day is as a 1000 years to the Lord.
So forget trying to be literal about time

My question is . While God was creating things could he have been changing things up as he went along?

Not sure if Im asking this right but i hope you get where im tryin to go with this .

Kinda , a Mixture of Evolution and Creation.
What ya think.?

KantoSooner
2/11/2013, 06:03 PM
How about this:
Something caused a big bang, the rest happened according to rules we are beginning to understand through application of the scientific method.

That 'something' might be called a 'God'. But he/she/it's been a bit of an absentee parent since then.

That's sort of where I live.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 06:05 PM
How about this:
Something caused a big bang, the rest happened according to rules we are beginning to understand through application of the scientific method.

That 'something' might be called a 'God'. But he/she/it's been a bit of an absentee parent since then.

I'm kinda with ya bro.
Just musing on the idea of maybe Both Science AND religion being partially right.

diverdog
2/11/2013, 06:36 PM
I'm kinda with ya bro.
Just musing on the idea of maybe Both Science AND religion being partially right.

Do what I did. Get ya some tequilla, go out into the middle of the desert, build a fire, drink the bottle with a friend or two while reading Revelations, sit back, look at the sky and realize you are nothing but pond scum in the grand scheme of things. Albiet with the ability to make some awfully fine booze.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 06:38 PM
Do what I did. Get ya some tequilla, go out into the middle of the desert, build a fire, drink the bottle with a friend or two while reading Revelations, sit back, look at the sky and realize you are nothing but pond scum in the grand scheme of things. Albiet with the ability to make some awfully fine booze.

You've tasted the OVJ?

Fraggle145
2/11/2013, 06:40 PM
Vet, I'd think that could be possible... I'll write a bit more later tonight. I have some thoughts on this. Just picked up the kiddo from day care, so we're gonna play with his blocks!

Tiptonsooner
2/11/2013, 06:44 PM
Vet, I'd think that could be possible... I'll write a bit more later tonight. I have some thoughts on this. Just picked up the kiddo from day care, so we're gonna play with his blocks!

Sounds like you got the important things in life figured out, all that matters. Good on you...

Blue
2/11/2013, 08:10 PM
"Let us create man in our image".<--------Doesn't rule it out but you have the whole Garden of Eden story.

I don't think evolution and creationism (In the Christian sense) are compatible.

FaninAma
2/11/2013, 08:15 PM
How about this:

That's a big hangup for me, too. And believe me, in my profession I have looked in every nook and cranny for evidence. If only........

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2013, 08:20 PM
sometimes there is no evidence...just saying. I'm with the combo...

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 08:25 PM

Heh, Are they "Lifes" building blocks?

Blue
2/11/2013, 08:25 PM
Yeah I know I'm a horrible person. But Paul is not

Romans 1:18-25

" The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen

Fraggle145
2/11/2013, 09:08 PM
I wrestled with this myself for a long time. Coming from a Catholic upbringing where I was teaching sunday school in 8th-12 grade to 2nd graders (1st communion) and was an altar boy.

I think it may be possible, but I dont think god is probable. I am an agnostic. That is just me though. Could I be wrong? Hell yes. The truth is and what most atheists dont want to tell you is that they cant disprove god anymore than you can prove him. To be an atheist requires faith. To be agnostic doesnt - it is the absence of faith.

Really though evolution is about a process, not an origin of life. But what happened after. Could there be a supreme being that set it all in motion? Sure. Could there be one that plays puppetmaster? Sure. Although I think the second is even much more improbable than the first scenario. To me the replicator scenario/hypothesis put forth by Dawkins makes sense to me. Essentially this states that early molecules were able to reproduce and those that did that the best were selected for, on and on and on, until they have made these machines that can basically replicate them and protect them. I mean think about this: There are more genes in the microbial community (i.e. bacteria) that lives on your skin and in your gut and mouth than there is in your entire genome. Almost a million times more I think the number is... So really who is running the show in our bodies? them or us? Hell mitochondria and chloroplasts are bacterial symbionts that use you to reproduce them - before you are born!!! Another thing they can do is bacteria can take up other genes from the environment and incorporate them into their genome through horizontal gene transfer. This makes the idea of free floating molecules in the early environment much more plausible. And if you were a microbe and picked up the right one then the rest of your genes got the benefit as well.

Anyway that is all just cool stuff to think about...

Now when I think of a personal "god" it is like Einstein's god. The principles of the universe and the way it works. That provides spiritual fulfillment for me. Just all these things working together that we may not be able to understand now, but are producing this wonderful cyclical thing that we get to be a part of.

Blue
2/11/2013, 09:10 PM
A follow up to my post. I just like any excuse to post this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuAGGZNfUkU

Fraggle145
2/11/2013, 10:33 PM
You've tasted the OVJ?

That'll make you see something alright! Not sure that's god though...

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 10:41 PM

:very_drunk:

Blue
2/11/2013, 10:54 PM

Your sig is funny as well. If I did not know Yermom and thought he was being genuine I would say, "Right On."

Fraggle145
2/12/2013, 09:38 AM
Your sig is funny as well. If I did not know Yermom and thought he was being genuine I would say, "Right On."

Yeah, I've had this sig forever. I think that is what has made it retain its awesomeness.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/12/2013, 12:07 PM
"Let us create man in our image".<--------Doesn't rule it out but you have the whole Garden of Eden story.

I don't think evolution and creationism (In the Christian sense) are compatible.

Really? I'd think the story of the creation would actually REINFORCE the theory of evolution. At least it's my thought. Here's why.

Genesis 4.

Cain slew Abel. We know that. However, Cain feared his being outcast from the Garden by the Lord, immediately saying that his being a vagabond would result in his own death at the hands of another, hence the mark of Cain. Who did Cain fear if the Lord's creation were the first and only souls? Cain also went into the land of Nod and "knew his wife" (AKA, got busy). It obviously wasn't Eve. And according to the scripture there's a distinct lack of sisters to be getting freaky with. Who did Cain take as a wife? And after, when the wife of Cain bore him Enoch, Cain built a city and named it after his son. Who lived in the city of Enoch out in the land of Nod? Who came to Cain to populate the city of Enoch?

All of which isn't an effort to disprove the story of creation, but to use scripture to show how BOTH creationism and evolution are possible. Are we as gentiles the sons of Cain? Did God create Adam in his image because he wanted to kickstart his previous creation of evolved man? Ours is not to know the plan of God, but if you hold to the story as given in Genesis then yes, there's more to the story. There HAS to be.

KantoSooner
2/12/2013, 12:25 PM
The Eden story makes more sense when you read the version in the Epic of Gilgamesh from whence it was lifted, in schematic version, for inclusion in the Old Testament.

olevetonahill
2/12/2013, 01:15 PM
The Eden story makes more sense when you read the version in the Epic of Gilgamesh from whence it was lifted, in schematic version, for inclusion in the Old Testament.

Thats One of the BIG problems with religion Bro IMHO
There are Onlyy 66 books listed in the "Official" Bible. (Thank you Catholic church)
there are many books that were excluded for varying reasons(The Apocrypha Books)

I find it hard to just take the KJ version as the Be all End All .
Im with TF on this . There is a Giant time lag in between the Very start of creation and the being expelled from the Garden .
That being said
I like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS-gwb8eSc0