PDA

View Full Version : Any vegetarians or vegans on the board?

badger
2/11/2013, 03:59 PM
I am astonished that when people give reasons for going vegan or vegetarian, they try to show you horrific images of slaughterhouses or stupid farmers that don't care about their investments. If we've learned anything from "The Jungle," it's that people will act with their stomachs, not their hearts.

That said, I have been challenged to vegetarian during Lent (Ash Wednesday is this week) and have accepted, and would appreciate any tasty ways to make it through 40 days. I don't want you to tell me that Little Miss Piggy gets her hooves chained in a tiny cage or how baby Peep Peep never gets to see her mother after hatching out of the plastic wrap on Easter before kids bite its marshmallow head off.

Recipes, ingredients, restaurants and menu items that don't suck, let me hear them.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/11/2013, 04:01 PM
vegan or can you eat cheese ?

KantoSooner
2/11/2013, 04:28 PM
Here are some items that you might like that can get you past 'meat cravings':

Thai, Indian and Vietnamese food. All have heaps of options that include tofu and edible oils and spice. The combo of the oil and the spice will obliterate your desire for an energy dense meal. The tofu (or combination of beans in the Indian) will get you your protein. Veggie curries are awesome and you will not get up hungry. Do check for ghee in the Indian. It's derived from milk so would not pass vegan muster.
Cook with coconut milk to create another 'fill you up' meal or side. Use coconut milk to make rice and you've got 'nasi lemak' (fat rice), the staple of the Malay world.

Are you still nursing? If so, you really must speak with your doctor first before doing this. We wouldn't want Baby Badge to suffer. She hasn't sinned yet, anyway.

All kinds of pasta dishes would be good to try. If you're allowed eggs and cheese, you're good to go there for carabonara (without the 'carbon', but still) and putanesco (just modify any meat out - the basic technique of making the sauce on the cooked pasta is quick, easy and makes a nice hearty sauce that is satisfying wiithout meat.

Potatoes! You can be the queen of massive bakes with all sorts of stuff (just not real bacon bits) on them.

just some ideas.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 04:32 PM
Im a Life long secondary Vegan. I let the tasty animals process all the rabbit food then I Grill em.

cleller
2/11/2013, 04:52 PM
My wife is kinda vegetarian. Not for any noble reason, just gets grossed out by meat. (all because of an undercooked burger at Goldie's many years back.) If you live in OKC or Tulsa, and can go to Whole Foods, your choices will explode. They've got vegetarian everything. Lasagna is pretty reliable, veggie pizzas.
Since I grill everything, some of the stuff she's got isn't bad. The gardenburgers aren't bad, and grilled portabello mushrooms and other vegetables are good if you marinate them.

She also makes some caramelized or candied pecans to throw in salads that makes salad edible.

badger
2/11/2013, 05:02 PM
vegan or can you eat cheese ?

Vegetarian so I'm allowed cheese, just not meat.

Are there any fast food restaurants and chains that have good veggie burgers or veggie alternatives

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 05:12 PM

Are there any fast food restaurants and chains that have good veggie burgers or veggie alternatives

If folk dont want to eat Meat, Why they want stuff that tastes like meat? Dont make no sense to me.

Think Ima grill me up some BBQ chicken and mashed taters and corn , Thats vegan mostly

KantoSooner
2/11/2013, 05:15 PM
Probably the easiest fast food option would be a pizza with no meat on it.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/11/2013, 05:17 PM
A burger, hold the burger.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 05:18 PM
A burger, hold the burger.

Heh.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 05:21 PM
Years ago I was workin in a small town in Mississippi . doing a construction job. Found this littl hole in the wall place that served Soy Burgers. They tasted like the real thing, Not very big maybe 3 bites to eat one but only cost a quarter er so , I usually ordered a 1/2 dozen

Wish I knew how they fixed em.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/11/2013, 05:46 PM
Soylent green = people, therefore Soy (minus the "lent green") = pee

8timechamps
2/11/2013, 05:49 PM

Excellent analysis.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 05:57 PM

Cool, so Im a cannibal too?
Heh, One more thing I can mark off my Bucket list.

KantoSooner
2/11/2013, 06:07 PM
Years ago I was workin in a small town in Mississippi . doing a construction job. Found this littl hole in the wall place that served Soy Burgers. They tasted like the real thing, Not very big maybe 3 bites to eat one but only cost a quarter er so , I usually ordered a 1/2 dozen

Wish I knew how they fixed em.

probably liberal application of yeast extracts (which can be teased, depending on how you grow the yeast) to taste like beef or even roast beef, and dehydrated soy sauce powder (which is rich in 'High 5 Prime Nucleotides which act to enhance 'savory' flavors). And both are cheap and readily available. Used in lots of ground meat products today to boost the 'meaty' flavor.

sooner_born_1960
2/11/2013, 06:10 PM
Get yourself a cheeseburger and give up bourbon for Lent.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 06:17 PM
Get yourself a cheeseburger and give up bourbon for Lent.

Screw that, Ima eat my Steaks and drank My OVJ
Guess Ill give up wearin clothes fer Lent

sooner_born_1960
2/11/2013, 06:21 PM
OVJ isn't technically bourbon. Enjoy.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 06:29 PM
OVJ isn't technically bourbon. Enjoy.

True, But I got a gallon an a 1/2 of Jack also.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/11/2013, 07:05 PM
Does tuna count?

soonerinabilene
2/11/2013, 07:07 PM
A lady checked out in front of me at Walmart the other day with a ton of vegetables, Morningstar (vegetarian) breakfast meals, tofu, veggie burgers. That didn't strike me as odd. What did strike me odd was the case of Alpo canned dog food. You would think that if you are vegetarian, your dog would be one, too.

soonerinabilene
2/11/2013, 07:09 PM
Oh, and Badj: Big grilled or sauteed Portobello mushroom heads are a great patty replacement for burgers.

hawaii 5-0
2/11/2013, 07:27 PM
If God had meant us to be vegetarian we wouldn't have incisors teeth, used for ripping flesh away from bones.

We'd probably all have cuds as well. Maybe even craws.

5-0

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 07:51 PM
Make sure you stock up on Ranch, croutons, and shredded cheddar. If ya got those three things 40 days will go by quick.

Mjcpr
2/11/2013, 08:01 PM
Rusty Crane downtown has a good veggie burger. Veggie pizzas are good. Lots of pasta dishes without meat are out there. Pesto. Spaghetti. Burritos with black beans instead of meat. Chipotle and those places have veggie options that are good. Just about every restaurant will have veggie choices.

okiewaker
2/12/2013, 10:53 AM
You could get you $5 footlong veggie subs at subway. They pretty good. Pizza, already mentioned, is a good idea. Campbell's makes a bunch of good soups that have no meat.

okiewaker
2/12/2013, 11:05 AM
A lady checked out in front of me at Walmart the other day with a ton of vegetables, Morningstar (vegetarian) breakfast meals, tofu, veggie burgers. That didn't strike me as odd. What did strike me odd was the case of Alpo canned dog food. You would think that if you are vegetarian, your dog would be one, too.

I did try the Morningstar sausage one time,,,not to bad, course I threw it in a tortilla with cheese, potatoe, and egg.

badger
2/12/2013, 11:21 AM
If God had meant us to be vegetarian we wouldn't have incisors teeth, used for ripping flesh away from bones.

We'd probably all have cuds as well. Maybe even craws.

5-0
I get that, but Lent is a time for self denial and usually I'm just like "Well, time for the annual no-soda period!" and leave it at that. This year I am going to try this and probably fail.

There are many health reasons to go veggie, so I think that's why NP suggested it. I know that you can also eat unhealthy and veggie, but for the most part, you can definitely overdo meat less than overdoing veggie.

Today being Fat Tuesday (english for mardi gras), I am probably going to have a meaty sandwich at Quiznos before swearing off the stuff for 40 days (Sundays not included). Tonight, I'll do whatever NP wants (he made delicious burgers last night) then it's Ash Wednesday tomorrow.

For the non-religious, I am sure you're confused by now.

FirstandGoal
2/12/2013, 11:28 AM
Okay, so the big question Badgj, is are you going to eat any fish or are you going strictly no meat in any way?

Let's assume not even fish.

First and foremost, make sure that you don't compromise your nutrition which means you still need to make sure you're getting enough protein. Thank goodness you're not going full-on Vegan, cause I seriously don't see how people survive on a diet so deficient in so many major food groups.
Okay so great sources of healthy non-meat protein are naturally the legumes and dairy groups. Incorporate as many beans as you can into a dish. Some good lunch examples would be a tossed salad with tomato, half an avocado (gotta get those healthy fats and it really curbs appetite) a cup of mixed salad beans and a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese on the side. Make sure you use an oil-based viniagrette type of dressing (my fave is to mix a bit of extra virgin organic olive oil with some balsamic and a splash of lemon) because the oil from the dressing will help your body absorb the nutrients from the salad better.
For snacks I would keep it to protein bars (whey is considered a smart choice) and healthy lean dairy. Greek yogurt sprinkled with some slivered almonds, a dash of vanilla extract and a sprinkling of cinnamon is delish and contains tons of protein. Other great snacks are string cheese and a handful of nuts or some hummus and sliced veggies.

Dinners would be the toughest hurdle, but as long as you've eaten enough healthy fat and lean dairy protein in the day it might not be as difficult. You can definitely try some soy or black bean burgers and just make sure you don't go too carb-heavy to make up for the lack of protein. Too many carbs late in the day just lead to rebound hunger. One of my favorite practices when I find myself approaching bedtime and I'm hungry is to pour a large (about 12 oz) glass of 1% organic milk (although NOT recommended if you've just finished brushing your teeth *shudder*)

Breakfast could be a fruit smoothie made with greek yogurt (I cannot get enough of this stuff) with some protein powder added in. I think yoplait or some company makes those little smoothie kits with the greek yogurt already in it. Another great breakfast option can be rolled oats (not instant please) with an apple and cinnamon added.

Make sure to eat all 3 meals if you're skipping out on meat because your body is really going to depend on good nutrition to make up for the lack.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/12/2013, 11:30 AM
badger, is exclusion of seafood part of your lent commitment?

FirstandGoal
2/12/2013, 11:39 AM
Oh yeah, and I forgot my new favorite thing on the planet: Kind Bars (http://www.kindsnacks.com/store)

I've tried a few of these (my fave is the dark chocolate and nuts with sea salt) and they're delicious. I love it that they don't have any added crap in them. Just fruit, nuts and chocolate.

OU68
2/12/2013, 11:51 AM
Ri Le's has a great tofu/tastes like chicken dish. +1000 on the grilled portabella mushrooms, and bean burritos!

badger
2/12/2013, 11:55 AM
badger, is exclusion of seafood part of your lent commitment?

I don't plan to eat fish so yes I guess so.

The funny thing is that I'm kind of "meh" about the whole meat giving up thing. Back when I gave up my favorite caffeinated soda for Lent (and I plan to forego soda too) I used to dream of drinking the stuff. I hear that drug addict go through similar things when they suffer from withdrawal. So strange.

hawaii 5-0
2/12/2013, 12:14 PM
I get that, but Lent is a time for self denial and usually I'm just like "Well, time for the annual no-soda period!" and leave it at that. This year I am going to try this and probably fail.

There are many health reasons to go veggie, so I think that's why NP suggested it. I know that you can also eat unhealthy and veggie, but for the most part, you can definitely overdo meat less than overdoing veggie.

Today being Fat Tuesday (english for mardi gras), I am probably going to have a meaty sandwich at Quiznos before swearing off the stuff for 40 days (Sundays not included). Tonight, I'll do whatever NP wants (he made delicious burgers last night) then it's Ash Wednesday tomorrow.

For the non-religious, I am sure you're confused by now.

Growing up I used to practice lent by titheing a dime per day during the season and turn it all in on Easter.

It's an individual choice. A co-worker gives up chocolate.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
2/12/2013, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah, and I forgot my new favorite thing on the planet: Kind Bars (http://www.kindsnacks.com/store)

I've tried a few of these (my fave is the dark chocolate and nuts with sea salt) and they're delicious. I love it that they don't have any added crap in them. Just fruit, nuts and chocolate.

Committed to memory. Sounds good.

5-0

yermom
2/12/2013, 01:31 PM
yeah, those are pretty good.

Indian and Thai are easy to do vegetarian

Mexican can be good as well if you find the right place. not much help for you, but Pepe Delgado's in Norman has a LOT of vegetarian stuff

Burger King has a veggie burger that isn't too bad in a pinch

Fraggle145
2/12/2013, 01:35 PM
You want this: http://shoptedsandthegrit.bigcartel.com/product/the-grit-cookbook

salth2o
2/13/2013, 12:45 AM
www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jxpd_jim-gaffigan-i-m-a-vegetarian_fun#.URsnEvLk2So

I love vegetarians. I eat them everyday.

OU68
2/13/2013, 09:04 AM
Tulsa World has some vegetarian recipes today.

badger
2/13/2013, 10:01 AM
Burger King has a veggie burger that isn't too bad in a pinch

NP used to live in OU's Adams Hall, so he's kind of burned out on Burger King... but he might go back during Lent for a veggie burger if I convince him to :)

Tulsa had cold temperatures and rain last night on our little downtown Mardi Gras thing (I didn't go) so alas, my last day of meat freedom was spent indoors. My last meals were:

Monday lunch: Small pepperoni pizza from Dominoes (they had a $4 tax included deal going)
Monday dinner: Homemade burgers by NP. Most delicious
Tuesday lunch: Buffalo grilled chicken sandwich from Subway (it was cold out and I didn't want to walk too far for lunch, otherwise I would have done Quiznos)
Tuesday dinner: Sandwiches from Mooyah (or something like that, it's a new chain in Tulsa).

And now that it's Lent, NP made banana bread last night. Even baby baj had some this morning. It was awesome.

C&CDean
2/20/2013, 03:32 PM
Well, it's a week later and????

C&CDean
2/20/2013, 03:32 PM
I know, I know. You had prime rib last night too, huh?

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2013, 03:45 PM
My sister is moving increasingly toward vegetarianism and it wounds my soul.

badger
2/20/2013, 04:00 PM
Well, it's a week later and????

Still going. Didn't even take the opportunity on "Little Easter" aka Sunday. Go ahead and count the days between Ash Wednesday and Easter... more than 40! That's because Sundays are built-in days off. But again, didn't use it.

My appetite is starting to get used to this non-meat thing, methinks. Alas, the baby baj is getting more variety than we are for meals and we often resort to ordering a cheese pizza delivered when we have no idea what to do last-minute.

PS: Goooo gymnastics. Actually, go OU basketball so I can trash the new avvie/sig/etc

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2013, 04:01 PM
Still going. Didn't even take the opportunity on "Little Easter" aka Sunday. Go ahead and count the days between Ash Wednesday and Easter... more than 40! That's because Sundays are built-in days off. But again, didn't use it.

My appetite is starting to get used to this non-meat thing, methinks. Alas, the baby baj is getting more variety than we are for meals and we often resort to ordering a cheese pizza delivered when we have no idea what to do last-minute.

PS: Goooo gymnastics. Actually, go OU basketball so I can trash the new avvie/sig/etc
I really and truly do not understand why you are doing this.

badger
2/20/2013, 04:41 PM
I really and truly do not understand why you are doing this.

I know you've said that you're not religious, so let's look at it from a non-religious aspect:

You give up something that can be unhealthy in massive quantities in order to self-improve.

Some people try to give up smoking. Or fast food. Or soda. Or alcohol. Or sweets.

I've given up meat. Yummy, tasty meat, that while high in protein and nutrients, is also extremely high in calories and fat, especially in the portions that many restaurants and fast food joints serve it in.

I am doing this basically for the same reason that smokers try to quit smoking, dieters try to give up overeating, etc etc.

This type of practice is common in the religious and the non-religious alike. There can be strings attached or not, but the basic theme is self-denial for self-improvement.

SoonerInFortSmith
2/20/2013, 05:52 PM
I know I'm a little late here but a few of my faves would be spinach enchiladas with rice and beans. Maybe a chili relleno. And spaghetti with red and yellow peppers and mushrooms in the sauce.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2013, 05:59 PM
I know you've said that you're not religious, so let's look at it from a non-religious aspect:

You give up something that can be unhealthy in massive quantities in order to self-improve.

Some people try to give up smoking. Or fast food. Or soda. Or alcohol. Or sweets.

I've given up meat. Yummy, tasty meat, that while high in protein and nutrients, is also extremely high in calories and fat, especially in the portions that many restaurants and fast food joints serve it in.

I am doing this basically for the same reason that smokers try to quit smoking, dieters try to give up overeating, etc etc.

This type of practice is common in the religious and the non-religious alike. There can be strings attached or not, but the basic theme is self-denial for self-improvement.
Still, I wouldn't do it unless I was having severe health issues (and probably not even then). Otherwise I just don't see the point.

My diet consists almost entirely of meat and carbs. I don't eat fruit and I don't eat vegetables so this diet would literally kill me.

And the lent thing is just ridiculous. I understand if you're Catholic, to a degree, but the growing popularity of observing lent among a wider range of protestants is just strange.

I don't see how giving up caffeine or what have you for a few weeks is going to bring anyone closer to God.

kevpks
2/20/2013, 06:09 PM
For me (a Catholic), Lent has always given me that extra incentive to give up something I'd been meaning to anyway. New Year's resolutions never worked for me. I gave up carbonated beverages and it has really made a difference in my energy level. I also just feel like I think more clearly but that might just be psychological and not based on getting off the stuff.

C&CDean
2/20/2013, 06:21 PM
Still, I wouldn't do it unless I was having severe health issues (and probably not even then). Otherwise I just don't see the point.

My diet consists almost entirely of meat and carbs. I don't eat fruit and I don't eat vegetables so this diet would literally kill me.

And the lent thing is just ridiculous. I understand if you're Catholic, to a degree, but the growing popularity of observing lent among a wider range of protestants is just strange.

I don't see how giving up caffeine or what have you for a few weeks is going to bring anyone closer to God.

No offense my Baylor friend, but you criticizing/questioning/"not getting" anyone elses eating habits is at the very best laughable.

No fruits and veggies? Check.
12-pack of Dr. Pepper per day? Check.
Type 3 brazillion diabetes? Check.

And of the meat and carbs you ingest, how much of it is hot dogs/hamburgers and fries? I'd bet all of it. So, WTF are you doing commenting negatively on someone elses eating? She could be eating straight dog **** and it'd be healthier than what you eat, no?

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2013, 06:54 PM
No offense my Baylor friend, but you criticizing/questioning/"not getting" anyone elses eating habits is at the very best laughable.

No fruits and veggies? Check.
12-pack of Pepsi per day? Check.
Type 1 brazillion diabetes? Check.

And of the meat and carbs you ingest, how much of it is pizza, hot dogs/hamburgers and fries? I'd bet all of it. So, WTF are you doing commenting negatively on someone elses eating? She could be eating straight dog **** and it'd be healthier than what you eat, no?
Fixed for accuracy. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what she's eating isn't healthier than what I eat. My diet is absolutely HORRIBLE. You're right, she' could eat almost anything and it be healthier than what I regularly eat.

My point is that I don't know why a young perfectly healthy person would worry about eating meat to the point that they go vegetarian. That's what I don't "get." It seems awfully extreme.

For example, I'm sure that eating properly prepared fish and chicken is still very healthy and doesn't require going totally vegetarian. That way you could still cut out the red meat if it's that big a concern.

OU68
2/21/2013, 09:13 AM
I know I'm a little late here but a few of my faves would be spinach enchiladas with rice and beans. Maybe a chili relleno. And spaghetti with red and yellow peppers and mushrooms in the sauce.

If you get to Tulsa, be sure to have the "Modern Enchiladas" at Mi Cocina on Cherry street - we also ask for the cilantro rice, delicious!

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/21/2013, 12:19 PM

BLT, hold the B

badger
2/21/2013, 12:53 PM
I would be worried if I were you if you don't think you have the discipline to give up something for an important reason. In general, people often talk a big game (especially on the Internet) about how tough they are, how strong they are, how willing to go the distance they are, but feet held to the fire, they crumble under pressure.

Since I have a baby baj dependent on me making healthy choices and the not-easy choices, it is more important than ever to know that I will be someone that my daughter can rely on. So, rather than wait for the day when those tough decisions come, I use Lent to test myself, to pray for inner strength, to be able to do what's right even if it's not easy.

The Internet, especially my little "meltdown" experiment in both college football and basketball, is a constant reminder of how easy it is to let go of self control during heated moments of anger, of frustration, or disappointment, and it tends to bring out the worst in us (which can be quite humorous for opposing fanbases!). I don't want to be the type of person that completely "melts down" during life's difficult moments.

Make more sense? OK then, back to veggie:

Today's lunch consists of Bush's Baked Beans, white rice, canned corn and canned tomatoes via the book "A Man, A Can, and A Plan," which has recipes using simple (mostly canned, sometimes packages meats and such) ingredients. It's very good but I've added a bit of salt since it can be a bit bland after being leftover container'd (NP made it yesterday).

Since individualized fruit cups sold in stores tend to be tiny and expensive, I have simply gotten larger can o' fruit cocktails that I split into several days with my own plastic containers and leave the rest in the fridge till use. I just finished one of these cans o' fruit today.

I don't miss soda.You really do have more energy after you weed it outta your system. I love the new Mio squirty stuff. Recommend fruit punch flavor. Do not recommend arctic grape. Blueberry lemonade was OK. Gonna try orange tangerine and berry blast next.

tator
2/21/2013, 02:34 PM
Any excuse for positive change is a good excuse, what baffles me is the 40 days thing. If it's a good decision, it's a good decision for more than just 40 days.

olevetonahill
2/21/2013, 02:37 PM
I wish evry dayum one of Yall would go Vegan. Leave more Fine Steaks and such FOR me.

badger
2/21/2013, 02:56 PM
Any excuse for positive change is a good excuse, what baffles me is the 40 days thing. If it's a good decision, it's a good decision for more than just 40 days.

I have definitely stuck with some of the changes beyond 40 days in previous years, but usually just my bad habits have less of a grip on me. I used to down several cans of soda daily back in HS and college, but after giving that up completely for Lent a few years, it's not an "addiction" of sorts anymore.

Hopefully, after giving up meat for 40 days, I will be able to continue making healthy choices after Easter --- perhaps I will grow to love steamed veggies just as much as steamed hams... that have obviously been grilled... patented Skinner burgers... (that's a Simpsons joke). Perhaps I will eat more fruits and veggies. Perhaps 4 oz of steak is just as filling as 16 oz when grouped with some veggies and a lot of water to drink.

deweydw
2/21/2013, 04:43 PM
A lady checked out in front of me at Walmart the other day with a ton of vegetables, Morningstar (vegetarian) breakfast meals, tofu, veggie burgers.

Morning Star and Boca burgers. All soy based. In the frozen section of your store. Look for one called Grillers Prime. I think those are Boca. I found the grillers prime are the best tasting. They also have breakfast sausages that are soy based.

deweydw
2/21/2013, 05:03 PM
Check out this site for recipes.

http://www.bocaburger.com/products/boca-burgers.aspx

badger
2/22/2013, 02:37 PM
Eatin' veggie update:

Breakfasts usually consists of a bowl of cereal with milk. Since NP likes to use it for cooking, it's usually almond milk. It actually tastes sweeter than dairy milk. Try it out if you haven't.

Lunch tends to depend on how prepared I am to do stuff in the morning. I wasn't today, so it was off to the nearest Subway for a sandwich filled with veggies again. If you go there, you should know that their "meat" is as questionable as it looks, anyway. Hope you like turkey-based stuff! :P

Dinner last night was awesome. NP fried up some lentil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil) patties. Combined with some spicy mayo, you'd never be able to tell them apart from meat unless you looked closely (they're distinctly pea-looking and pea-colored). On the side was a bunch of spinach, onions and tomatoes for a side salad.

For my non-caffeinated, non-soda beverage, orange-tangerine Mio. It reminds me a lot of orange gatorade, except without the excessive calories.

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 03:14 PM
I ate some carrots the other day and bought some more last night at the store.

picasso
2/22/2013, 10:13 PM
I knew some hardcore vegan types in art school and they looked anything but healthy. Pale and skinny, more like malnourished.
I do though applaud their effort. It's just the folks who brag about it and act like they're better than you for going that way that I don't understand. Same thing with folks who don't believe in God. OK. So you don't believe in God. Who gives a ****, good luck with that.

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 10:26 PM
I saw some sweet smelling stuff you're supposed to add to your bath at Reasor's last night. It had Hemp in it so I guess that would make it kind of a veggie or vegan type thing....right? :D

badger
2/23/2013, 12:10 PM
Yeah, i agree that vegan and vegetarian arent necessarily healthier. If i'm not mistaken, potato chips and oreos are vegan.

FirstandGoal
2/24/2013, 09:06 PM
Badj, great job on sticking to your guns and it sounds like you're doing this with no problem. I totally agree with your point about forgoing things that aren't such healthy habits and instead substituting something else that is a healthy habit and changing your own behaviors. Before 2009 I only drank water when there was no other option. I always drank pop, diet pop (if on diet), and various juices. In early 2009 when I decided to get a handle on my health a went cold turkey on all sodas and sugary drinks and now I feel horrible if I drink less than 80 ounces of water in a day. I've had a total of 2 sodas in the last 15 months and the only reason I had them was because I was extremely nauseous after surgery and was drinking the soda to keep from throwing up.
I also decided to radically reduce the amount of red meat I consume and while I crave a steak every now and then, it is a much healthier portion size that I consume. I've learned to rely on fish and other lean proteins like low fat dairy and chicken and turkey.

You're doing a great job.... ignore the peanut gallery!

olevetonahill
2/24/2013, 09:10 PM
Peanuts? did I hear Peanuts? I love em.

badger
2/25/2013, 12:04 PM
You're doing a great job.... ignore the peanut gallery!

SF.com wouldn't be SF.com without the peanut gallery. And if I'm ever angry at those nuts, all I gotta do is fire up the meltdown thread and look at opposing fan message boards for the REAL nuts. :D

And while NP and I took a meat break for Little Easter yesterday (it's allowed on Sundays) it was for a worthy cause... NP finally getting a break from work. I had lobster for the first time in my life. It is overrated. I'm probably gonna just stick with shrimp in the future.

C&CDean
2/25/2013, 12:09 PM
SF.com wouldn't be SF.com without the peanut gallery. And if I'm ever angry at those nuts, all I gotta do is fire up the meltdown thread and look at opposing fan message boards for the REAL nuts. :D

And while NP and I took a meat break for Little Easter yesterday (it's allowed on Sundays) it was for a worthy cause... NP finally getting a break from work. I had lobster for the first time in my life. It is overrated. I'm probably gonna just stick with shrimp in the future.

Having lobster and then having good lobster can be two very different things. Good lobster is very much worth eating. Most lobster? Nope. People pretty much **** it up when they cook it.

Mjcpr
2/25/2013, 12:30 PM
Having lobster and then having good lobster can be two very different things. Good lobster is very much worth eating. Most lobster? Nope. People pretty much **** it up when they cook it.

That's why you have to go to a high end place like Red Lobster.

KABOOKIE
2/25/2013, 01:44 PM
The best way to cook lobster is to deep fry it and serve it with grape kool-aide.

C&CDean
2/25/2013, 02:10 PM
The best way to cook lobster is to deep fry it and serve it with grape kool-aide.

Fries too. And a moonpie. And a RC cola.

FirstandGoal
2/25/2013, 05:08 PM
So a few years ago I had to go to Rhode Island for my cousin's wedding and for the rehearsal dinner there was a big lobster fest. From what I understand the place where the dinner was hosted was pretty upscale and the lobster was to die for.
So here I am all excited to try something new I have never had before and they bring out this gigantic-*** bowl of food. In the big giant bowl (that seriously held as much food as a small village could have eaten) there was a whole lobster, some potatoes, some corn on the cob, and many, many unidentifiable mussel-clam-seafood things that all looked pretty disgusting and slimy. Not only did it look ugly, it smelled even worse. After watching my brother break open his lobster and watching all of its guts run out into the bowl mixing with the rest of the food, I gave up on the whole thing and just ate a couple of rolls.
Worst.
Dinner.
Ever.

:upset:

olevetonahill
2/25/2013, 05:28 PM
Heh I can see F&G now.

"Are you really gonna eat that?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ChHaJGLB5xA/T1pFX3savEI/AAAAAAAAAFs/d6nIPipe9IA/s1600/Are+you+going+to+eat+that+spider.jpg

C&CDean
2/25/2013, 05:31 PM
So a few years ago I had to go to Rhode Island for my cousin's wedding and for the rehearsal dinner there was a big lobster fest. From what I understand the place where the dinner was hosted was pretty upscale and the lobster was to die for.
So here I am all excited to try something new I have never had before and they bring out this gigantic-*** bowl of food. In the big giant bowl (that seriously held as much food as a small village could have eaten) there was a whole lobster, some potatoes, some corn on the cob, and many, many unidentifiable mussel-clam-seafood things that all looked pretty disgusting and slimy. Not only did it look ugly, it smelled even worse. After watching my brother break open his lobster and watching all of its guts run out into the bowl mixing with the rest of the food, I gave up on the whole thing and just ate a couple of rolls.
Worst.
Dinner.
Ever.

:upset:

You didn't even try it? C'mon girl...

tator
2/26/2013, 03:34 PM
That's why you have to go to a high end place like Red Lobster.

Who can afford that kinda lifestyle?

badger
2/26/2013, 03:43 PM
I love how I just derailed my own vegetarian thread with the mention of lobster.

It's all snowy (not really) up here in northeast Oklahoma, so I have made sure that the pantry is stocked with non-meat options should we just not feel like leaving the house:
- Spaghetti-Os
- Pasta salad mix (Betty Crocker I think)
- Kraft Mac & Cheese
- Bush's Baked Beans
- Frozen cheese pizza
-Velveeta Shells and Cheese

Is it a goal of going veggie to get healthy? Cuz I don't think any of these options are. Lol

Mjcpr
2/26/2013, 03:54 PM
Who can afford that kinda lifestyle?

Your doctors and your firemen and whatnot.

rainiersooner
2/26/2013, 04:12 PM
I went to Maine for vacation for a week last summer and vowed to eat lobster with every meal. Lobster omelet, lobster rolls for lunch, lobster for dinner. And the lobster was good, and it's also very cheap right now. I could only last 3 days. I think I've recovered enough that I could eat lobster again. But I think I poisoned myself with too much lobster. At least I learned that there is such a thing.

PS -First and Goal, the guys and stuff are the best part!!!

badger
3/25/2013, 11:41 AM
It is ****ing freezing out in Tulsa right now, combined with the wind feels like it did back during Ice Storm 2007. :(

However, I am braving Lent and the cold to continue being a temporary vegetarian. After nearly 40 days (Easter is this coming Sunday), here's what I've learned:

- Beans instead of burger no bueno. NP doesn't seem to mind, but I definitely do.
- Tofu is an OK substitute, but bigger chunks taste icky in salad.
- You are already halfway there if you love pasta. It's the perfect go-to when you want taste AND vegetarian (just don't add chicken).

Most importantly, you won't automatically lose weight just by going veggie. You need to be mindful of calorie intake, exercise, portion size, etc if that's your true goal.

I am not going to become a full-time vegetarian after Lent, but I could definitely see cutting back on meat significantly in the future from this experience.

deweydw
3/25/2013, 11:53 AM
Shall we start the count down to........

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4570224122726550&pid=15.1

OU68
3/25/2013, 11:53 AM
Good job Badj - we've reduced our red meat intake have more vegetarian meals - but like you point out, it isn't a weight loss program, especially if you like pasta!

Soonerjeepman
3/25/2013, 03:36 PM
I know this isn't veggie...but it fits with Lent. I usually gave up sex (well the ex-wife was a part of that decision as well...) but just swear words and such this yr!

olevetonahill
3/25/2013, 03:42 PM
That does it, Ima grillin me another Rib eye tonight.

So Bagj if yer gonna start back eatin meat in Easter May I suggest RABBIT.

Killerbees
3/25/2013, 11:10 PM
I don't think I could ever do the vegetarian thing full time. maybe for a stretch, but it would be like a punishment.

They have yet to come up with a viable alternative to pork fat. Pork fat makes way too many dishes taste good. All kinds of things from the best clam chowders to sausages require some pork fat. Those turkey sausages and bacon are crap. Vegans can sit there and happily munch on that and tell me all they want how much it tastes like pork but they know and I know it doesn't. I guess this would preclude me from being muslim or jewish also.

I dont have a problem with eating soy products personally, as long as it isnt getting passed off as meat. Tofu in asian dishes is fine, especially fried. Tempeh is ok too.

Blue
3/25/2013, 11:42 PM
High Fat Paleo Diet.

FirstandGoal
3/26/2013, 07:57 AM
I guess a lot of it just depends on what you are able to get used to. Several years ago I made the switch from bacon to turkey bacon and from red meat to ground turkey. I still have red meat, but only on rare occasion and pretty much only on doctor's orders (anemia). I also eat much less meat of any kind than I used to and find myself using more and more low-fat dairy for protein sources. Not only is that healthier, but as I get older the added calcium is a nice boon. Now the thought of eating regular bacon and other fatty meats is just gross.

I do have to admit though that I have no idea how vegans survive. There is no way my body would function with a limited amount of protein.

jkjsooner
3/26/2013, 01:10 PM
I am astonished that when people give reasons for going vegan or vegetarian, they try to show you horrific images of slaughterhouses or stupid farmers that don't care about their investments. If we've learned anything from "The Jungle," it's that people will act with their stomachs, not their hearts.

First I want to say that I eat meat and like it and I don't like those who look down on me for doing so.

That being said, you're assertion about "stupid farmers that don't care about their investments" ignores the economics behind raising animals for meat. If it's just an animal being raised for slaughter (not a stud, etc.) you're not going to spend a lot of money to protect that investment.

Treating the animal humanely is not always the best decision economically. Plenty of farmers use economics as the only driving factor when it comes to the welfare of their herd. I've taken part in plenty of animal castrations and never once seen any type of pain killer involved. Antibiotics? Yes, because it makes sense economically.

Sometimes you lose one from shock but not often enough to take precautionary measures.

I've also helped sew the intestines back into a pig with no pain killers. That crap should have been done in a vet's office with drugs but from an economic perspective it just wasn't worth it.

If I had a say in the matter neither of these things would have happened but I didn't.