PDA

View Full Version : James Patton out as offensive line coach

badger
2/11/2013, 11:05 AM
I thought this was worthy of its own thread. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130211_92_0_NORMAN52512)

And even if you don't, someone else would've started one if I didn't :D

Also... speculation that Mark Mangino may return? Hell, that almost reassembles the main 2000 national championship coaching staff :D

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2013, 11:23 AM
can you post article? if not no biggie.

cherokeebrewer
2/11/2013, 11:24 AM
I can just imagine the bumped up negative recruiting against OU if Mangino returns. We need to go forward, not backwards.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/11/2013, 11:38 AM
agreed..I think the only people that are worse than bob about wanting to hire his family/friends are the fans.

cherokeebrewer
2/11/2013, 11:53 AM
I like Brad Davis at Portland State. He's young with lots of energy and they led the FCS in rushing.

Boomer.....
2/11/2013, 12:03 PM
I'd like to test Wickline's loyalty.

Scott D
2/11/2013, 12:17 PM
agreed..I think the only people that are worse than bob about wanting to hire his family/friends are the fans.

This

KantoSooner
2/11/2013, 12:20 PM
I have no names to offer, but am hoping for a stud. Patton may not have been the best out there, but he wasn't the worst either. Putting together lines with the injuries we've had, seemingly forever, was not an easy task.

badger
2/11/2013, 12:22 PM
can you post article? if not no biggie.

I'll post part of it. All sites rely on traffic, this one included, so I like to give sites their linkage:

NORMAN – James Patton, Oklahoma's offensive line coach for the past seven years, will not return for an eighth.

A source close to the situation confirmed to the Tulsa World that Patton met with his players Monday morning and informed them he was leaving, a development first reported by SoonerScoop.com.

Later Monday, those players used Twitter to express both appreciation and surprise over the news.

"Coach Patton is my favorite coach I've had," OU center Gabe Ikard tweeted. "Taught me a lot about football and a lot about life. Really going to miss him."
Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130211_92_0_NORMAN52512)

cherokeebrewer
2/11/2013, 12:24 PM
Wickline would be great but likely a no go for us. Here is a good article on Brad Davis...

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2012/10/portland_state_assistant_brad.html

Yeah, I'm no techno wizard

badger
2/11/2013, 12:32 PM
Holy cow, they're now reporting that he's going to join Kevin Wilson at Indiana. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130211_92_0_NORMAN52512&allcom=1#3332283)

Very interesting turn of events. This seems like it will benefit OU and Indy, so kudos to both.

soonerdo
2/11/2013, 12:39 PM
I can just imagine the bumped up negative recruiting against OU if Mangino returns. We need to go forward, not backwards.
I agree 100%

Seamus
2/11/2013, 01:13 PM
Man, I am drawing a blank. I do not remember Brad Davis.

sooneron
2/11/2013, 01:17 PM
I don't remember Davis, either, but he sounds like a solid commodity.

cherokeebrewer
2/11/2013, 01:49 PM
Come on guys. Brad Davis won the 2002 Don Key Award.

Scott D
2/11/2013, 01:58 PM
Hopefully this wakes up Jackie Shipp that he's on his final chance.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/11/2013, 02:19 PM
Come on guys. Brad Davis won the 2002 Don Key Award.

Oh, THAT Brad Davis.

ashley
2/11/2013, 02:38 PM
Hire has been made and will be announced soon.

Scott D
2/11/2013, 02:45 PM
Hire has been made and will be announced soon.

later this week Pope Benedict will be the newest member of the OU coaching staff. It's expected to give the Sooners an advantage against Notre Dame.

badger
2/11/2013, 02:48 PM
later this week Pope Benedict will be the newest member of the OU coaching staff. It's expected to give the Sooners an advantage against Notre Dame.

:eek: i feel spiritually enlightened by this thought, like the clouds parting and the sunbeams shining down on Sooner Nation from heaven.

choir of angels: ahhhhh

cherokeebrewer
2/11/2013, 02:49 PM
Oh, THAT Brad Davis.

In my mind, that's the best honor a Sooner player can receive. Yes, he's part of the OU family, but (in this case) I would not hold that against him. We need some young energetic coaches who can actually relate to the recruits & players...plus coach them. I'm sure there are other good candidates for the job...

picasso
2/11/2013, 02:55 PM
How can this be? Bob Stoops never makes any staff changes.

Ruf/Nek7
2/11/2013, 03:08 PM
Well, best of luck to Coach Patton. It seems like he did the right thing by leaving after NSD thus not ruining any shot of gaining our Oline recruits (not many) but shows the respect he has for OU. He really was not a bad recruiter when you think of all the guys he has brought in and coached in his last 7-8 years. Hope we get someone who can recruit well and coach even better. Im not for mangino coming back.

One4OU
2/11/2013, 03:23 PM
Well, best of luck to Coach Patton. It seems like he did the right thing by leaving after NSD thus not ruining any shot of gaining our Oline recruits (not many) but shows the respect he has for OU. He really was not a bad recruiter when you think of all the guys he has brought in and coached in his last 7-8 years. Hope we get someone who can recruit well and coach even better. Im not for mangino coming back.

Out of 28 ol offers seems it might have been better if he would have gone prior to nsd.

sooneron
2/11/2013, 03:41 PM
In my mind, that's the best honor a Sooner player can receive. Yes, he's part of the OU family, but (in this case) I would not hold that against him. We need some young energetic coaches who can actually relate to the recruits & players...plus coach them. I'm sure there are other good candidates for the job...

I have no idea what you're saying. Do you want the guy or not? AND your sarcasm detector seems to be on the fritz. (THis is due to you replying to unnamed's sarcastic post)

Curly Bill
2/11/2013, 03:43 PM
Man, I am drawing a blank. I do not remember Brad Davis.

He used to play point guard for the Dallas Mavericks.

Wait...wrong Brad Davis???

sooneron
2/11/2013, 03:46 PM
I was too busy watching Skinner getting trucked back in 02 to remember him.

cherokeebrewer
2/11/2013, 03:56 PM
I have no idea what you're saying. Do you want the guy or not? AND your sarcasm detector seems to be on the fritz. (THis is due to you replying to unnamed's sarcastic post)

Actually, I am the master of sardonic wit. Yes I would like to have Brad Davis as our oline coach and yes there are other good candidates for the job. What's not to understand?!

MojoRisen
2/11/2013, 03:58 PM
Mangino turned Kansas into a national contender! If we could get him back, I would be for it.

OkieThunderLion
2/11/2013, 04:26 PM
Mangino turned Kansas into a national contender! If we could get him back, I would be for it.

If you really look into it, Glen Mason had nearly identical success one decade earlier at KU.

8timechamps
2/11/2013, 04:32 PM
I'm not high on Mangino returning, but it's probably going to happen.

Breadburner
2/11/2013, 04:46 PM
Pat Hill would fit the bill nicely.....!!

cherokeebrewer
2/11/2013, 04:50 PM
Latest 'rumor' has it to be Bill Bedenbaugh of WV...Here's the rub on that...He was Mike Stoop's oline coach at Zona. He also coached for Mike Leach at Tech...I think. Hope that's not confusing.

Scott D
I'm not high on Mangino returning, but it's probably going to happen.

If we were going back to the future I'd rather bring Jonathan Hayes back to coach TE and OL than that psychotic fat ****.

Scott D
Latest 'rumor' has it to be Bill Bedenbaugh of WV...Here's the rub on that...He was Mike Stoop's oline coach at Zona. He also coached for Mike Leach at Tech...I think. Hope that's not confusing.

that's almost as terrible as bringing back Jabba the Mangino.

Soonerfan88
2/11/2013, 05:00 PM
I really hope Bob isn't pushing for Mangino. I don't think Boren will approve it but hopefully Bob understands it would not be the right move for OU.

Brad Davis seems to be a very good option.

OkieThunderLion
2/11/2013, 05:04 PM
Sounds like it will be Bedenbaugh.

Is this Bob's staff or Mike's?

I find it strange that Patton was the only coach Mike hadn't worked with before, and now he's gone.

8timechamps
2/11/2013, 05:51 PM
I have no interest in OU becoming Arizona 2.0

cherokeebrewer
2/11/2013, 06:16 PM
I try not to be judgemental, so if it is in fact Bedenbaugh, here are his coaching stints. Looks like he may be a good recruiter. Hope so!

2011-Present Offensive Line Coach West Virginia
2010 Co-Offensive Coordinator & Offensive Line Coach Arizona
2007-2009 Running Game Coordinator & Offensive Line Coach Arizona
2005-2006 Offensive Line Coach Texas Tech
2003-2004 Running Backs Coach Texas Tech
2000-2002 Assistant Coach & Offensive Line Coach Texas Tech
1997-1998 Assistant Coach & Offensive Line Coach Central Michigan

8timechamps
2/11/2013, 06:27 PM
I try not to be judgemental, so if it is in fact Bedenbaugh, here are his coaching stints. Looks like he may be a good recruiter. Hope so!

2011-Present Offensive Line Coach West Virginia
2010 Co-Offensive Coordinator & Offensive Line Coach Arizona
2007-2009 Running Game Coordinator & Offensive Line Coach Arizona
2005-2006 Offensive Line Coach Texas Tech
2003-2004 Running Backs Coach Texas Tech
2000-2002 Assistant Coach & Offensive Line Coach Texas Tech
1997-1998 Assistant Coach & Offensive Line Coach Central Michigan

As much as the thought of having Arizona's old staff turns me off to him, I still think he'd be better than Mangino.

papawlambert
2/11/2013, 06:58 PM
Now that my Grandson is playing for the Mountaineers, I will say that you will be getting a great Oline coach and a great recruiter. We will miss him.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/11/2013, 07:29 PM
Good lord..

cleller
2/11/2013, 07:30 PM
I cannot believe Mangino isn't already installed in this thread, thought he was the obvious favorite. On the Animal they brought up another name that Stoops may have tried to hire before, but I cannot remember it.

OkieThunderLion
2/11/2013, 07:35 PM
According to WVU site, Bedenbaugh has been offered the job.

cvsooner
2/11/2013, 07:37 PM
It's looking more and more like it's Bedenbaugh. Rumor is it that Castiglione himself made it clear to Stoops that hiring Mangino as a coach wasn't happening.

Scott D
2/11/2013, 07:47 PM
It's looking more and more like it's Bedenbaugh. Rumor is it that Castiglione himself made it clear to Stoops that hiring Mangino as a coach wasn't happening.

Thank god at least one of the two maintained his senses in this regard. Not that I'm thrilled with the choice, I have no desire to run the Leach or Holgerson offense.

Scott D
2/11/2013, 07:48 PM
As much as the thought of having Arizona's old staff turns me off to him, I still think he'd be better than Mangino.

my grandfather who has been deceased for nearly 40 years would have been a better choice than Jabba the Mangino.

Soonerfan88
2/11/2013, 07:52 PM
I cannot believe Mangino isn't already installed in this thread, thought he was the obvious favorite. On the Animal they brought up another name that Stoops may have tried to hire before, but I cannot remember it.

John Latina, currently at Duke.

thecrimsoncrusader
2/11/2013, 08:07 PM
While my opinion doesn't matter, I am not impressed by this hire and it doesn't seem OU is gaining anything they need to even if he is a great recruiter. At a surface level, OU could risk being less competent in pass protection and still suck at run blocking:

Texas Tech:

2005: 104th in the nation at 107 rushing yards per game. (3.51 per carry)
2006: 112th in the nation at 78 rushing yards per game. (2.69 pery carry)

Arizona:

2007: 114th in the nation at 76 rushing yards per game. (2.88 per carry)
2008: 48th in the nation at 158.38 rushing yards per game. (4.09 per carry)
2009: 52nd in the nation at 159.38 rushing yards per game. (4.82 per carry)
2010: 88th in the nation at 131.69 rushin yards per game (3.94 per carry)

West Virginia:

2011: 92nd in the nation at 122 rushing yards per game (3.82 per carry)
2012: 52nd in the nation at 181.85 rushing yards per game (4.85 per carry)

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2013, 08:31 PM
so he has a connection with Mike at zona...

all is well...

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 08:41 PM
my grandfather who has been deceased for nearly 40 years would have been a better choice than Jabba the Mangino.[/QUOTE]

I bet your dead grandad don't have a Nat Champ ring.

goingoneight
2/11/2013, 08:55 PM
my grandfather who has been deceased for nearly 40 years would have been a better choice than Jabba the Mangino.

I bet your dead grandad don't have a Nat Champ ring.[/QUOTE]

Mack Brown, Gene Chizik, Greg Davis, Brent Venables and a whole lot more who get ripped to shreds around these parts have National Championship rings, too. Would you take any of them over, say... Sumlin?

8timechamps
2/11/2013, 08:58 PM
If it is, in fact, Bedenbaugh, I'm skeptical.

Hopefully the guy will come in and do great things.

I wonder if Bob ever thinks to do a search, and bring in guys to interview that are unknown to current staff members.

cleller
2/11/2013, 09:00 PM
John Latina, currently at Duke.

Yes Thanks. It was killing me.

goingoneight
2/11/2013, 09:02 PM
I'll be there was shortlist Bob had going into this Patton thing. Something tells me of the three-to-four guys on the short list, it was a matter of which one Castiglione would approve of first-- but not of course before Patton found a soft landing spot. This reminds me of Martinez last year. Except thankfully we're not losing our best assistant (Venables/Norvell) in the aftermath of it.

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 09:08 PM

Mack Brown, Gene Chizik, Greg Davis, Brent Venables and a whole lot more who get ripped to shreds around these parts have National Championship rings, too. Would you take any of them over, say... Sumlin?[/QUOTE]

Sumlins not available. Not bitchn bout the current coaches, never have, but,,evidently OU is on the search. Think Mangino would be good.

Scott D
2/11/2013, 09:13 PM

My dead grandfather is more athletically and politically successful than Mangino could ever be.

Scott D
2/11/2013, 09:14 PM
Anyone who thinks Mangino would be a good choice is living in a revisionist history.

goingoneight
2/11/2013, 09:25 PM
Exactly. Doesn't John Blake have a few Super Bowl or National Championship rings, too?

Nobody who is fighting logic and reason will look at the 2000 and 2001 numbers or the game film. All they have is the 2000 MNC and the KU 07 season. Granted, those are two nice notes on the resume, but given the full explanation for it all, it's unimpressive. People think the Belldozer is a gimmick, how about a double reverse pass to your third string quarterback to beat a bowl-less team on your home field?

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 09:26 PM
Anyone who thinks Mangino would be a good choice is living in a revisionist history.

Just trying to figure yer logic. Seems to me he was pretty good fit in 2k, not to mention he was part of the coaching staff in 2k. What's yer reason he's not good for now, other than he looks like jabba the hut.

hvhurricane
2/11/2013, 10:02 PM
If it is, in fact, Bedenbaugh, I'm skeptical.

Hopefully the guy will come in and do great things.

I wonder if Bob ever thinks to do a search, and bring in guys to interview that are unknown to current staff members.

Exactly. Is BS able to do his own research and make a decision to hire somebody with the best resume or is it more important to hire a yes man?

Also, as I stated before, the recruits had no idea Patron was leaving. Honesty and recruiting don't mix.

goingoneight
2/11/2013, 10:09 PM
Of course the recruits didn't know. OU lost out on a few guys last year due to making premature changes to the staff.

Collier11
2/11/2013, 10:10 PM
actually they have interviewed some recruits who said they knew

goingoneight
2/11/2013, 10:19 PM
Did any of them know who is replacing Patton for sure? :D

Fraggle145
2/11/2013, 10:27 PM
Why cant we pick someone that has ever coached a line to run block? I mean ****ing christ. The 80ft splits Tech used to have? Ugh. Arizona 2.0? Ugh. Kish already blows. What have we gone through all of Bob's friends and now we are going to have to go through Mike's? At least the Davis guy is a young guy.

goingoneight
2/11/2013, 11:00 PM
Davis went through hell playing here. It's possible he is not even interested. Same for any other candidate fans keep throwing out there as hopefuls. Not every guy jumps on the opportunity like Josh did to come back. Then again, not every guy gets the opportunity. Davis is only a fan hopeful as far as we know. No reports anywhere have surfaced about any contact between OU and him.

AzianSooner
2/11/2013, 11:12 PM
I think of two names: Manginos and Norm Chow.

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 12:12 AM
What about a guy like Jason Lenzmeier? He's the O-line coach at New Mexico, and they have had phenomenal running games the past couple of years. He's young, and apparently knows what he's doing. You'd think a guy like that would jump at the chance to coach at OU.

But, he didn't spend Easter Brunch with either of the Stoops brothers house, so he probably has no shot.

prrriiide
2/12/2013, 07:15 AM
Sam Pittman.

Scott D
2/12/2013, 07:36 AM
Just trying to figure yer logic. Seems to me he was pretty good fit in 2k, not to mention he was part of the coaching staff in 2k. What's yer reason he's not good for now, other than he looks like jabba the hut.

I find it amusing that a few years ago 2k was all Josh Heupel. Now all of a sudden 2k was all Mark Mangino? What about 2k1 and 2k2 where those offenses were so anemic you'd have thought they were critical level sickle cell? Those were all Mangino as well. I'd argue that 2k was more about the defense that year than anything Mangino did as an OL coach or OC. He lucked into Reesing at KU, and had ONE, only ONE good season. He got into the Orange Bowl undeservedly over a Missouri team that would have been there if the Big 12 didn't have a CCG. His best soundbite was him whining about the refs in a game against Texas because of the BCS. Not to mention he brings NOTHING new in regards to recruiting. At least with Kish we could say "Ok, we have a guy who has some pretty good ties in California." What does Mangino bring in this regard? He recruited the same areas that OU heavily recruits now.

Maybe this guy from WV can help recruit areas that OU isn't as strong, but based on his history I'm having my doubts on that. We really should have been looking for a guy who is connected in the Southeast.

I'd almost, almost be willing to wager that 90% of people that actually WANT Mangino back are the same ones who swear to anyone who can hear that their high school glory days are right around the corner as well.

Ruf/Nek7
2/12/2013, 07:42 AM
Bedenbaugh can apparently recruit the Ohio region very well and is a rather exceptional recruiter altogether. He may be a good hire. Also, per rivals, Mike Stoops won recruiter of the year for Big 12.

thecrimsoncrusader
2/12/2013, 08:19 AM
Mark Mangino isn't going anywhere, he's got a business to run at his current residence in Naples: http://www.originalmanginos.com/

There is a greater chance of Chuck Mangino coaching at Oklahoma than Mark Mangino at this point.

sooner_born_1960
2/12/2013, 08:30 AM
Whoever is hired, I'm surprised Bob doesn't have absolute autonomy on his staff decisions.

picasso
2/12/2013, 08:46 AM
Why cant we pick someone that has ever coached a line to run block? I mean ****ing christ. The 80ft splits Tech used to have? Ugh. Arizona 2.0? Ugh. Kish already blows. What have we gone through all of Bob's friends and now we are going to have to go through Mike's? At least the Davis guy is a young guy.
According to Murdoch this guy is tight with Heupel and Stoops both and would be our most charismatic recruiter if we got him. But hey, what the hell does Bob Stoops know right?

picasso
2/12/2013, 08:49 AM
I find it amusing that a few years ago 2k was all Josh Heupel. Now all of a sudden 2k was all Mark Mangino? What about 2k1 and 2k2 where those offenses were so anemic you'd have thought they were critical level sickle cell? Those were all Mangino as well. I'd argue that 2k was more about the defense that year than anything Mangino did as an OL coach or OC. He lucked into Reesing at KU, and had ONE, only ONE good season. He got into the Orange Bowl undeservedly over a Missouri team that would have been there if the Big 12 didn't have a CCG. His best soundbite was him whining about the refs in a game against Texas because of the BCS. Not to mention he brings NOTHING new in regards to recruiting. At least with Kish we could say "Ok, we have a guy who has some pretty good ties in California." What does Mangino bring in this regard? He recruited the same areas that OU heavily recruits now.

Maybe this guy from WV can help recruit areas that OU isn't as strong, but based on his history I'm having my doubts on that. We really should have been looking for a guy who is connected in the Southeast.

I'd almost, almost be willing to wager that 90% of people that actually WANT Mangino back are the same ones who swear to anyone who can hear that their high school glory days are right around the corner as well.
I never said I wanted him back but I'm honest enough to give him credit as a coach. I guess I should you use some logic in this thread and go with he lucked out at OU and KU both?
Also, if we're going to say that Mangina's program fell apart at the end at KU then you guys better sack up and say the same about the all holy and wonderful Bill Snyder. His program was in the ****house the first time he left.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 09:39 AM
Davis went through hell playing here. It's possible he is not even interested. Same for any other candidate fans keep throwing out there as hopefuls. Not every guy jumps on the opportunity like Josh did to come back. Then again, not every guy gets the opportunity. Davis is only a fan hopeful as far as we know. No reports anywhere have surfaced about any contact between OU and him.

He'd probably get about a 400% pay raise. I'd guess he'd kill for the opportunity to coach at OU. There was no ill-will between Davis and Stoops.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 09:41 AM
Mark Mangino isn't going anywhere, he's got a business to run at his current residence in Naples: http://www.originalmanginos.com/

There is a greater chance of Chuck Mangino coaching at Oklahoma than Mark Mangino at this point.

Mark would have taken the job in a heartbeat, if it was offered.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 09:49 AM
Mangino was "successful" here due to Leach's passing game and Stoops' defense. The offense (running game) immediately took off after he left, after the '01 season.

rushing
year carries yards ypg ypc
1999 319 1251 104.3 3.92
2000 446 1671 128.5 3.75
2001 422 1489 114.5 3.53
2002 591 2668 190.6 4.51
2012 434 2098 161.4 4.83

Fraggle145
2/12/2013, 10:18 AM
According to Murdoch this guy is tight with Heupel and Stoops both and would be our most charismatic recruiter if we got him. But hey, what the hell does Bob Stoops know right?

Just saying we havent been able to run the ball since AD left... And he did a lot of that in his last two years without an awesome line.

sooneron
2/12/2013, 10:20 AM
Actually, I am the master of sardonic wit. Yes I would like to have Brad Davis as our oline coach and yes there are other good candidates for the job. What's not to understand?!

Maybe b/c your original post (wording-wise) was nicht so gut. It doesn't read as an endorsement for him to be coaching here. It's a given that there are other good guys out there, saying it, says that you think other would be better.

okiewaker
2/12/2013, 10:36 AM

Ah, after thinking more about it, you mite be right.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 10:58 AM
Just saying we havent been able to run the ball since AD left....

With that standard, we couldn't run the ball prior to AD, either.

Fraggle145
2/12/2013, 11:51 AM
With that standard, we couldn't run the ball prior to AD, either.

I know. I'd like to be able to run the ball.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/12/2013, 12:13 PM
I'll run the ball. I got a few touchdowns left in me from my high school days.

*sniff, hike the pants up*

cvsooner
2/12/2013, 12:19 PM
Whoever is hired, I'm surprised Bob doesn't have absolute autonomy on his staff decisions.I'm not. Ultimately it has to be approved by Castiglione, Boren and finally the Board of Regents. And that's as it should be.

cvsooner
2/12/2013, 12:21 PM
Just saying we havent been able to run the ball since AD left... And he did a lot of that in his last two years without an awesome line. We haven't been able to run the ball? Allen Patrick, Chris Brown, Demarco Murray, would all disagree with you. Perhaps we haven't run the ball as effectively as we'd like, and the past two years have been troubling, but let's be real, here.

KantoSooner
2/12/2013, 12:33 PM
What we haven't done is to run the ball up the middle in the red zone very well, for a long time. Even the vaunted Bell Dozer has not been as effective down close to the goal line.
And, like it or not, the ability to do that IS a hallmark of fundamentally sound football teams.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 12:41 PM
Sounds like Shipp is gone too.

thecrimsoncrusader
2/12/2013, 12:42 PM
AD was responsible for those 1900+ yards in the 2004 season. The run-blocking sucked even then. AD would have broken Barry Sanders single season record with a better run-blocking offensive line. The only time the offensive line created legitimate consistent running lanes was in the 2002 season starting with the Missouri game and on and then Q went crazy for 1800+ yards that season. For whatever reason, that very same offensive line couldn't pull it off in the 2003 and 2004 seasons in terms of them actually creating legit running lanes.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 12:43 PM
We haven't been able to run the ball? Allen Patrick, Chris Brown, Demarco Murray, would all disagree with you. Perhaps we haven't run the ball as effectively as we'd like, and the past two years have been troubling, but let's be real, here.
Actually, last 2 years have been a big improvement.

year ypg ypc
1999 104.3 3.92
2000 128.5 3.75
2001 114.5 3.53
2002 190.6 4.51
2003 146.7 3.81
2004 208.4 4.79
2005 177.5 4.05
2006 177.1 4.45
2007 190.7 4.65
2008 198.5 4.72
2009 134.6 3.61
2010 138.0 3.34
2011 162.9 4.52
2012 161.4 4.83

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 12:45 PM
AD was responsible for those 1900+ yards in the 2004 season. The run-blocking sucked even then. AD would have broken Barry Sanders single season record with a better run-blocking offensive line. The only time the offensive line created legitimate consistent running lanes was in the 2002 season starting with the Missouri game and on and then Q went crazy for 1800+ yards that season. For whatever reason, that very same offensive line couldn't pull it off in the 2003 and 2004 seasons in terms of them actually creating legit running lanes.
Lost Q's talent in '03.
Stacked box vs more I-formation in '04-'07.

achiro
2/12/2013, 12:54 PM
What we haven't done is to run the ball up the middle in the red zone very well, for a long time. Even the vaunted Bell Dozer has not been as effective down close to the goal line.
And, like it or not, the ability to do that IS a hallmark of fundamentally sound football teams.
This. It's not that we haven't been able to run, just not very good at 1st and goal from the 1. Even worse with 2nd or 3rd and goal from the 2.

Fraggle145
2/12/2013, 12:56 PM
This. It's not that we haven't been able to run, just not very good at 1st and goal from the 1. Even worse with 2nd or 3rd and goal from the 2.

Exactly. We cant run the ball when it matters. I dont care how we move it between the 20s. Hell most teams in the BigXII give you anything between the 20s...

Fraggle145
2/12/2013, 12:57 PM
Sounds like Shipp is gone too.

Really? Go on...

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 12:59 PM
Even the vaunted Bell Dozer has not been as effective down close to the goal line .
I think the failures stick out in memory more than the successes. I'd guess overall it was very successful.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 01:00 PM
Really? Go on...

http://coachingsearch.com/component/content/article/2478-bob-stoops-shaking-up-the-staff-at-oklahoma.html

Widescreen
2/12/2013, 02:16 PM
http://coachingsearch.com/component/content/article/2478-bob-stoops-shaking-up-the-staff-at-oklahoma.html

Ah yes, "sources". I guess we'll see.

sooner KB
2/12/2013, 03:18 PM
He was named one of the nation’s top 50 recruiters last week by 247 Sports and a top Big 12 recruiter by Rivals.com on Tuesday. At least there's that.

Boomer.....
2/12/2013, 04:14 PM
SoonerScoop.com ‏@SoonerScoop
BREAKING: OU will hire WVU's Bill Bedenbaugh to replace James Patton as offensive line coach.

Monster Zero
2/12/2013, 04:23 PM
I'm not. Ultimately it has to be approved by Castiglione, Boren and finally the Board of Regents. And that's as it should be.

After what happened back during the year of the head coach who I won't mention by name, no one is going to be hired that David Boren doesn't want to be hired. For obvious reasons, and... as it should be.

OkieThunderLion
2/12/2013, 04:32 PM
SoonerScoop.com ‏@SoonerScoop
BREAKING: OU will hire WVU's Bill Bedenbaugh to replace James Patton as offensive line coach.

I'll take it.

Better than one other (rather large) option that was out there!

8timechamps
2/12/2013, 04:45 PM
It's a done deal.

Bill Bedenbaugh will be named the new OL coach.

Scott D
2/12/2013, 06:56 PM
I never said I wanted him back but I'm honest enough to give him credit as a coach. I guess I should you use some logic in this thread and go with he lucked out at OU and KU both?
Also, if we're going to say that Mangina's program fell apart at the end at KU then you guys better sack up and say the same about the all holy and wonderful Bill Snyder. His program was in the ****house the first time he left.

It's been made quite clear that in the Little Apple, that program is only going to be successful for a short period unless they can find a way to clone Bill Synder.

rockfromcon
2/12/2013, 08:13 PM
What???? Did you miss the Demarco Murray/Chris Brown years? We ran the ball down everybody's throat and then we let Sammy throw bombs down the field.

tulsaoilerfan
2/12/2013, 09:54 PM
We can't run the ball because we are in love with throwing the damn ball 70 times a game; when all you do is pass block that's what you will be good at

Soonerfan88
2/12/2013, 11:25 PM
Now, now, don't be trying to bring logic to the table. OU sucks as run blocking and that's the end of the conversation.

sooneron
2/13/2013, 09:55 AM
The only time the offensive line created legitimate consistent running lanes was in the 2002 season starting with the Missouri game and on and then Q went crazy for 1800+ yards that season. For whatever reason, that very same offensive line couldn't pull it off in the 2003 and 2004 seasons in terms of them actually creating legit running lanes.

This is half true. It wasn't so much running lanes but the style of runner that Q was- scat back type that could hide and hit a gap. Kejuan (God, love his horns down) was not that type of runner, he was more of a hit the assigned hole power guy and then trip over a yard line about 5-6 yards downfield. :)

Fraggle145
2/13/2013, 10:11 AM
What???? Did you miss the Demarco Murray/Chris Brown years? We ran the ball down everybody's throat and then we let Sammy throw bombs down the field.

Did you watch the title game that year... Oh wait we just failed to convert from inside the 5 again...

Salt City Sooner
2/13/2013, 03:38 PM
Did you watch the title game that year... Oh wait we just failed to convert from inside the 5 again...
This (although Brown did have a good game, just not near the goal line) plus:

'08 RRS: 26 runs for 48 yards
'08 TCU: 36 runs for 25 yards

OU ran well those years when they had a talent advantage up front (& w/ 4 guys who went to the NFL on that line that happened a whole lot more often than not) but when they ran up against an equally talented front, running room got pretty scarce in short order.