PDA

View Full Version : Pope Benedict Resigning

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 06:14 AM
Pope Benedict's spokesman just announced he will be resigning at the end of the month. Has that ever happened before? I didn't think popes resigned.

Seems strange to me. No reason was given but could it be that the former Hitler Youth was diddly-daddling with a few Vatican altar boys? Nothing would surprise me.

diverdog
2/11/2013, 07:12 AM
Pope Benedict's spokesman just announced he will be resigning at the end of the month. Has that ever happened before? I didn't think popes resigned.

Seems strange to me. No reason was given but could it be that the former Hitler Youth was diddly-daddling with a few Vatican altar boys? Nothing would surprise me.

Last resignation was 600 years ago.

I am glad he is gone.

sappstuf
2/11/2013, 07:38 AM
Maybe he secretly supported Dorner...

sappstuf
2/11/2013, 08:04 AM

Actually he mentions declining health as a specific reason.

Midtowner
2/11/2013, 08:17 AM
Good riddance. Maybe if they appoint someone who wasn't in charge of covering for child molesters, I'll give 'em another look.

cleller
2/11/2013, 08:18 AM

I know its not typical, but it seems smart to me. That's a big job, for some 85 year old. Who can effectively work at that age?

What purpose is served when your pope is too old to run the ship, but stays around for the sake of tradition?

lexsooner
2/11/2013, 08:59 AM

And why would that be a problem with the Church?

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 09:24 AM

They hadn't announced that yet when I made the original post.

FaninAma
2/11/2013, 09:27 AM
Last resignation was 600 years ago.

I am glad he is gone.

Why?

FaninAma
2/11/2013, 09:28 AM
Good riddance. Maybe if they appoint someone who wasn't in charge of covering for child molesters, I'll give 'em another look.

No you won't. You'll find some fault with whoever they elect as the next Pope.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 09:32 AM
Aside from his probably complacency in covering up child sex abuse, I guess he's alright for a guy that served in the Hitler Youth. :shrug:

My problem is with the organization the pope is head of; therefore, it's unlikely that I'm going to approve of whoever has the title.

sappstuf
2/11/2013, 09:36 AM
Aside from his probably complacency in covering up child sex abuse, I guess he's alright for a guy that served in the Hitler Youth. :shrug:

My problem is with the organization the pope is head of; therefore, it's unlikely that I'm going to approve of whoever has the title.

I'm fairly certain all 14 year old boys were made to join at that time, especially those with aryan features.

TumbleweedDoom
2/11/2013, 09:40 AM
They were all made to join. Plus, evidently SicEm likes living up to EVERY possible Baylor stereotype.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 10:18 AM
They were all made to join. Plus, evidently SicEm likes living up to EVERY possible Baylor stereotype.

I'm unfamiliar with Baylor stereotypes, but if you're trying to peg me as a Baptist fundamentalist-Christan....I'm none of the above!

FaninAma
2/11/2013, 10:23 AM

Just a tangent observation about the criticism being directed at the current Pope. Lincoln was probably one of the biggest perpetrators of a genocidal policy on this country's Native-American population to ever reside in the White House but he is revered by both the left and the right. I know this sentiment doesn't aplly to you SicEm but I thought it was pertinent to point out how perspective colors our views of historical figures.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 10:33 AM
Just a tangent observation about the criticism being directed at the current Pope. Lincoln was probably one of the biggest perpetrators of a genocidal policy on this country's Native-American population to ever reside in the White House but he is revered by both the left and the right. I know this sentiment doesn't aplly to you SicEm but I thought it was pertinent to point out how perspective colors our views of historical figures.

Very true. In all honesty, I'm sure Ratzinger is a good and faithful guy once you look past any complacency he may have had regarding child sex abuse.

I know I say pretty nasty things about the Catholic church, but I have a real problem with their centuries of institutionalized policy of torturing and killing anyone who dared think or speak outside of the established church orthodoxy. They manipulated Europe for centuries, they bled the poor of Europe and elsewhere dry in order to enrich themselves, they sent millions to their deaths in the holy land, they swept child abuse under the rug, etc. etc. etc. The list could go on all day.

Like I said, I'm not a protestant either; however, the reformation gave us the enlightenment. For the first time people were thinking freely and independent of the church. Respect for individual rights began to expand and we eventually got the country we have today.

Rational or relevant to the modern world or not, I still see the Catholic church as the institution of darkness and oppression.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 10:35 AM
And we GAS?

FaninAma
2/11/2013, 10:43 AM
Very true. In all honesty, I'm sure Ratzinger is a good and faithful guy once you look past any complacency he may have had regarding child sex abuse.

I know I say pretty nasty things about the Catholic church, but I have a real problem with their centuries of institutionalized policy of torturing and killing anyone who dared think or speak outside of the established church orthodoxy. They manipulated Europe for centuries, they bled the poor of Europe and elsewhere dry in order to enrich themselves, they sent millions to their deaths in the holy land, they swept child abuse under the rug, etc. etc. etc. The list could go on all day.

Like I said, I'm not a protestant either; however, the reformation gave us the enlightenment. For the first time people were thinking freely and independent of the church. Respect for individual rights began to expand and we eventually got the country we have today.

Rational or relevant to the modern world or not, I still see the Catholic church as the institution of darkness and oppression.

Yeah, Martin Luther rocks.

rock on sooner
2/11/2013, 10:46 AM
Well, the Pope is the leader of over a billion Christian types. I've read that the
in fighting to succeed a Pope is really vicious. I wonder why they always elect
someone who is older and seems to get frail early on, since it is said that is an
extremely demanding job. I also read that Ratzinger is behind a number of policies
that perpetuate the "dark" side of the Church. (I'm not a Catholic and been inside
one of their churches only a couple of times) but am curious about these things so,
Vet, I guess IGAS...a little.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 10:58 AM
Well, the Pope is the leader of over a billion Christian types. I've read that the
in fighting to succeed a Pope is really vicious. I wonder why they always elect
someone who is older and seems to get frail early on, since it is said that is an
extremely demanding job. I also read that Ratzinger is behind a number of policies
that perpetuate the "dark" side of the Church. (I'm not a Catholic and been inside
one of their churches only a couple of times) but am curious about these things so,
Vet, I guess IGAS...a little.

Ok.

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2013, 10:58 AM
wow..talk about grumpy white guys.

Amazing such vile to an organization that does about 95% more good than bad (especially from outsiders). Is the church perfect? nope show me ANY church or organization for that matter, that is. I'm PROUD to be Catholic and really don't GAS what any of you say. I will voice my opinion and stand up for the good it does.

but I'm sure most don't GAS about my opinion either... meh~

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 11:01 AM

Amazing such vile to an organization that does about 95% more good than bad (especially from outsiders). Is the church perfect? nope show me ANY church or organization for that matter, that is. I'm PROUD to be Catholic and really don't GAS what any of you say. I will voice my opinion and stand up for the good it does.

If you are a Member then you SHOULD care, The rest of us need to just STFU about it.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 11:03 AM

http://crazyhyena.com/imagebank/g/evil-pope-praying-for-the-poor-from-golden-throne-meme.jpg

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2013, 11:09 AM
yeah right sic...the church just prays for the poor...

rock on sooner
2/11/2013, 11:27 AM
If you are a Member then you SHOULD care, The rest of us need to just STFU about it.

Well said, Vet, but I am still curious...

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 11:31 AM
Well said, Vet, but I am still curious...

Then by all means ask. I just dont understand how anyone can Vilify someone else's belief's and way of life.
Kinda the If ya live in a glass house deal.

TumbleweedDoom
2/11/2013, 11:32 AM
I'm unfamiliar with Baylor stereotypes, but if you're trying to peg me as a Baptist fundamentalist-Christan....I'm none of the above!

... said with a Rand Paul banner underneath. Irony.

TumbleweedDoom
2/11/2013, 11:33 AM
http://crazyhyena.com/imagebank/g/evil-pope-praying-for-the-poor-from-golden-throne-meme.jpg

... again, posted with a Rand Paul banner below. The irony thickens.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 11:53 AM
Yahoo has a Pole up about this.
I agree with the majority here.

Are you disappointed by the pope's resignation?

Yes, he was a good leader.

8%

No, it was a smart decision.

39%

I have no opinion.

52%

Thank you for voting.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 11:54 AM
... said with a Rand Paul banner underneath. Irony.
I'm truly failing to see any irony, but if you'd be so kind as to point it out perhaps we can hash it out.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 11:56 AM
I'm truly failing to see any irony, but if you'd be so kind as to point it out perhaps we can hash it out.

He's trying to Pigeon Hole ya bro.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 12:02 PM
... again, posted with a Rand Paul banner below. The irony thickens.

I'm guessing you think this is "ironic" because Rand Paul opposes the social welfare system and yet I posted a picture intended to criticize the excesses of the Catholic church in lieu of using those resources to further help the poor. Let me tell you why you're wrong...

Both Rand Paul and I believe it is the role and responsibility of private organizations and religious institutions to help the poor and less-fortunate. Both Rand Paul and I would say that these organizations do a better job than government at helping the poor which happens to be their responsibility. On the other hand, both Rand Paul and I would say that a belief in private/religious institutions helping the poor does not mean that we believe in monetary confiscation at gunpoint (otherwise known as taxation) for the purpose of redistribution via highly inefficient, ineffective, and poorly managed bureaucracies with massive overhead that do very little to help the poor when compared to the size of their budgets.

Does that about cover it?

okie52
2/11/2013, 12:07 PM
I'm guessing you think this is "ironic" because Rand Paul opposes the social welfare system and yet I posted a picture intended to criticize the excesses of the Catholic church in lieu of using those resources to further help the poor. Let me tell you why you're wrong...

Both Rand Paul and I believe it is the role and responsibility of private organizations and religious institutions to help the poor and less-fortunate. Both Rand Paul and I would say that these organizations do a better job than government at helping the poor which happens to be their responsibility. On the other hand, both Rand Paul and I would say that a belief in private/religious institutions helping the poor does not mean that we believe in monetary confiscation at gunpoint (otherwise known as taxation) for the purpose of redistribution via highly inefficient, ineffective, and poorly managed bureaucracies with massive overhead that do very little to help the poor when compared to the size of their budgets.

Ole Rand flipped and became an amnesty supporter.

TumbleweedDoom
2/11/2013, 12:09 PM

Yeah -- "You hate poor people and minorities." That's what you said, right?

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2013, 12:10 PM
I do agree the church needs an active leader. Not to say 85 isn't it, but his health is not good then it's time.

FWIW, I've always been told to question my faith, use my resources, time, talent and money to be a better person and help others. Never been told "only Catholics are going to heaven" - that's big one that's gone around for years.

On the other side, I went to a Catholic HS and probably wasn't very christian to be honest....sports were cut-throat and if ya didn't have $$, looks, or athletic ability you were SOL.

That being said I wouldn't trade it for the world~

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 12:12 PM
Ole Rand flipped and became an amnesty supporter.
Actually, Rand Paul as an RLC would tend to be pro-Amnesty. His father is though he did try to avoid the subject. Libertarians and libertarian-leaning Republicans tend to be more in favor of immigration.

It's one of the reasons why I'm not really a libertarian and why I'm actually a paleocon. Along with opposing immigration, I also opposed free-trade agreements (requires more explanation but I'm too tired to get into it at the moment). Libertarians tend to be anti-military; whereas, I'm anti-foreign intervention/using the military but I'm actually pro-military as an institution. There are other things as well...

But, yeah, I'd be surprised if Rand didn't support some sort of amnesty/guest worker program.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah -- "You hate poor people and minorities." That's what you said, right?
http://30bananasadaysucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Not-Sure-if-serious.jpg?aa4864

okie52
2/11/2013, 12:19 PM
Actually, Rand Paul as an RLC would tend to be pro-Amnesty. His father is though he did try to avoid the subject. Libertarians and libertarian-leaning Republicans tend to be more in favor of immigration.

It's one of the reasons why I'm not really a libertarian and why I'm actually a paleocon. Along with opposing immigration, I also opposed free-trade agreements (requires more explanation but I'm too tired to get into it at the moment). Libertarians tend to be anti-military; whereas, I'm anti-foreign intervention/using the military but I'm actually pro-military as an institution. There are other things as well...

But, yeah, I'd be surprised if Rand didn't support some sort of amnesty/guest worker program.

Rand Paul: U.S. Should Stop Granting Citizenship To Children Of Illegal Immigrants
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/28/rand-paul-us-should-stop_n_593269.html

After ensuring border security, then I would normalize the status of the 11 million undocumented citizens so they can join the workforce and pay taxes. I would normalize them at a rate of about 2 million per year. I would start with Dream Act kids, children brought here illegally as minors. Normalization would get them a temporary Visa but would not put them ahead of anyone already waiting to enter the country. These undocumented persons would now be documented but they would still have to wait in line like everyone else. But their path to permanent legal status would be no faster than those currently waiting in line.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/8/sen-rand-paul-trust-verify-immigration-reform/#ixzz2Kc09eFdg
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/28/rand-paul-us-should-stop_n_593269.html

Well those statements aren't necessarily inconsistent. In the second quote, he isn't talking about granting them citizenship -- he's talking about documenting them and giving them temporary work visas. The first quote is speaking strictly on giving automatic citizenship to anchor babies which is something of a different issue.

In any case, I oppose all of it. Legal or otherwise.

badger
2/11/2013, 12:29 PM
I grew up Lutheran, but it was a smaller community so I regularly attended Catholic, Methodist and even Baptist services. Our tiny congregations embraced our faith's similarities, rather than try to point out the differences.

That said, the Pope is one of the biggest differences between Catholic faith and other Christian faiths and as such I'm kind of apathetic to who pontiffs. I loved to hear John Paul II speak, but I really haven't seen or heard anything major from Benedict yet.

FaninAma
2/11/2013, 12:30 PM
The Republicans still think they can win the support of a majority of hispanics. I am not against providing a tract for legalization but I do not think very many of the illegals will participate in any program that doesn't include automatic amnesty without any administartive requirements(ie. paying fees and fines).

The Republicans would have more success directing outreach efforts to the Asian immigrants in the country.

Blue
2/11/2013, 04:24 PM
Anybody see that show on the prophecy of the popes? St. Malachys prophecy i believe. Well supposedly this next pope will be the last. Peter the Roman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

They got this guy as a frontrunner. And his name is....dum dum dum...Peter.

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/documentazione/documents/cardinali_biografie/cardinali_bio_turkson_pka_en.html

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2013, 04:26 PM
really...didn't think that was ever public. (the prophecy)..Makes sense, started with Peter, ends with Peter.

Course Sic, Mid and the others will be tickled pink...they'll just say it's the end of the Catholic empire...oops I mean church~

KantoSooner
2/11/2013, 04:38 PM
Just think of the swell real estate that would be available if that happened!
I get dibs on St. Peters!!

I can sit in the big chair and have a big booming, amplified announcement made into the plaza out front, "Enter. And Be Judged!"

And then I'll make a secret sign and they can lay little bags of money at my feet.....

Oh, I'm sorry, that's been done.

cleller
2/11/2013, 06:11 PM
They got this guy as a frontrunner. And his name is....dum dum dum...Peter.

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/documentazione/documents/cardinali_biografie/cardinali_bio_turkson_pka_en.html

Strange about the Peter guy, as I've heard rumblings that the Vatican might try to put up a pope from Africa, as that is the geography they feel is where they ought to concentrate right now. Sounds too political, but I guess that's nothing new.

Everyone is after Africa these days. Its a lost cause, the Chinese are going to slowly take it over. They can do it, and don't care what reporters say about them.

SoonerProphet
2/11/2013, 08:12 PM
Say what you want about Ratzinger, he will always be the pope between John Paul and the not European dude.