PDA

View Full Version : Please explain for a newb

Speck
2/10/2013, 08:04 PM
I see on the 2014 recruiting list a QB and multiple RBs being recruited for next years class.

My question is why do the Sooners (and other schools) continue to recruit for positions that have no need? According to the roster and with the 2013 class these positions (and others) are really stacked deep for several years.

I guess I would think focus should be on more pressing areas such as O and D line.

Please enlighten a recruiting neofite and tell me why I am wrong.

Thanks

yermom
2/10/2013, 08:33 PM
you need extra QBs and RBs pretty much at all times. when 3ish RBs get used a game on a regular basis, it's easy for one to get hurt. i think in 2005 at one point we were starting our 4th string RB.

and you never know when one of your QBs is going to get arrested for stealing weed or fall out of a truck or something

8timechamps
2/10/2013, 08:35 PM
Recruiting is all about projection and predicting. Because of that, most schools recruit just about every position, every year. Of course, positions of need get higher priority. Not every school recruits QBs every year, but Stoops has always had the philosophy of recruiting and signing a QB in every class.

As for the RB recruiting, 2011 is a prime example why more is better. Since OU uses more than one RB, and injuries happen, they always look to add at least one per class.

Also, don't let the number of offers fool you. While OU may be recruiting 10 running backs, they may decide it's first come, first serve. For this last class, that's what happened with WR. After Dannon Cavil committed, OU could easily have taken Devin Lauderdale, but at that point, the position was "full", so he got the "thanks, but no thanks" phone call. It happens every year.

The exception to that would be if there was an elite prospect that really wanted to come to OU. In that case, even if the position was full, OU would take him and pull an offer from another position.

That's the short version.

olevetonahill
2/10/2013, 08:37 PM
Its spelled nOOb not newb , Ya nOOb.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/10/2013, 08:49 PM
I agree. more lineman.

8timechamps
2/10/2013, 09:54 PM
Keep in mind, OU offered 28 OTs in this class. They're clearly trying to get more.

Fraggle145
2/10/2013, 10:14 PM
Good thing we dont need LB's...

(I know piling on, but still...)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/11/2013, 01:18 AM
I see on the 2014 recruiting list a QB and multiple RBs being recruited for next years class.

My question is why do the Sooners (and other schools) continue to recruit for positions that have no need? According to the roster and with the 2013 class these positions (and others) are really stacked deep for several years.

I guess I would think focus should be on more pressing areas such as O and D line.

Please enlighten a recruiting neofite and tell me why I am wrong.

Thanks

QB - The most obvious examples were 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009. These were years where we were paper thin because of injuries and/or defections. You have to have at least 3 QBs capable of playing worst case scenario. You need at least another 1 in the pipeline that is being prepped to play.

RB - The biggest issue here is retention. You need at least 4 playable running backs and Gundy has proven that once he gets around 4-5 he starts losing players.

boomersooner28
2/11/2013, 09:36 AM
Where was that boomer sooner ringtone again?

Harry Beanbag
2/11/2013, 10:11 AM
Also, from my novice experience watching recruiting, it seems that the elite QBs and RBs tend to commit earlier than other positions. They can be class momentum building decisions and they know it. If you wait too long they're gone.

Speck
2/11/2013, 03:11 PM
Great points and thanks for clarifying as your comments make a lot of sense.

Another examle is, I looked on the roster and it appears the Sooners have 11 DBs and a few in the 2013 class. I would think that if I was a DB, I would go some where without that kind of depth. But then again, you just never know.

8timechamps
2/11/2013, 04:20 PM
Great points and thanks for clarifying as your comments make a lot of sense.

Another examle is, I looked on the roster and it appears the Sooners have 11 DBs and a few in the 2013 class. I would think that if I was a DB, I would go some where without that kind of depth. But then again, you just never know.

The Sooners recruit a lot of "Athletes", so those guys can come in and either play WR or DB, depending on where the coaches think they fit best. Look at the 2014 offers list, there are already quite a few of those guys with offers...and the list will only grow.

The kind of guys OU recruits aren't afraid of depth. Since OU never promises playing time, the guys that come in know they'll have to compete to see the field.