PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy can sure spin a yarn.

olevetonahill
2/10/2013, 05:59 PM
My biggest gripe and it aint much is he goes into such excruciating detail about every thing. Yet I cant seem to put one of his novels down once I start

Just started
"Threat Vector" the other day ,Maybe Wednesday or so and almost finished (over 800) pages

soonerinabilene
2/10/2013, 06:04 PM
Patriot Games is my favorite.

olevetonahill
2/10/2013, 06:06 PM
Patriot Games is my favorite.

Ive liked em all so far.

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2013, 07:06 PM
I've read them all at least twice, but I haven't started Threat Vector just yet. Actually, I say that but I didn't like 'The Teeth of the Tiger.' Executive Orders and The Bear and the Dragon were my favorite.

If you like Tom Clancy then check out Vince Flynn's "Mitch Rapp" series. It's phenomenal.

Doged
2/10/2013, 08:45 PM
I'm still chapped that no one ever made a movie out of Red Storm Rising. I think it could have made a great one.

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2013, 08:47 PM
I'm still chapped that no one ever made a movie out of Red Storm Rising. I think it could have made a great one.
RSR was fantastic, but I think we're too post-Cold War for them to ever make that movie now.

ouwasp
2/10/2013, 09:43 PM
I re-read RSR a few yrs ago. Makes for a great Alternate-History tale now.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 12:07 PM
Finished it this morning, Good read.

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 12:52 PM
Tom Clancy is good. Wished I could read without getting horrible headaches, I'd read all his stuff.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 01:05 PM
Tom Clancy is good. Wished I could read without getting horrible headaches, I'd read all his stuff.

I'd Just give up and die if I couldnt read,
Is it your eyes?

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 01:21 PM

I'd Just give up and die if I couldnt read,
Is it your eyes?

Yeah, gotta be my eyes. Went to the doc, he said I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other. He gave me glasses but it hasn't helped. I can read in short but if I read more than than a page or two I get bad headaches, almost migraine like. :confused:

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 01:25 PM
Yeah, gotta be my eyes. Went to the doc, he said I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other. He gave me glasses but it hasn't helped. I can read in short but if I read more than than a page or two I get bad headaches, almost migraine like. :confused:

I have to use readin glasses.
I axed my optometrist what my vision was ? she said 20-20+ I then axed her if it was that dayum good why did I need glasses?
She said Duh! to read. Bitches man Bitches. :cheerful:

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 01:26 PM
Oh and I'd either go back or to a New doc. that **** aaint right.

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 01:36 PM
Oh and I'd either go back or to a New doc. that **** aaint right.

not sure whether to go to a optometrist or ophthalmologist? Anyway, after all that I went and got a CAT done on my head. Doc said he couldn't find anything. Cost 5g's to find out they couldn't find nuttin. :o

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 01:37 PM
I axed my optometrist what my vision was ? she said 20-20+ I then axed her if it was that dayum good why did I need glasses?
She said Duh! to read. Bitches man Bitches. :cheerful:[/QUOTE]

Heh

OU68
2/11/2013, 02:29 PM
She said Duh! to read. Bitches man Bitches. :cheerful:

That dark half is showing again :cheerful:

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 03:11 PM
not sure whether to go to a optometrist or ophthalmologist? Anyway, after all that I went and got a CAT done on my head. Doc said he couldn't find anything. Cost 5g's to find out they couldn't find nuttin. :o

That just aint right, Charge a man 5 K to tell him his heads empty. :watermelon:

okiewaker
2/11/2013, 03:28 PM
That just aint right, Charge a man 5 K to tell him his heads empty. :watermelon:[/QUOTE]

Wut i was thinking. Shoulda just listened to the ex,,been telling me that fer years :cool:

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 04:37 PM
That just aint right, Charge a man 5 K to tell him his heads empty. :watermelon:

Wut i was thinking. Shoulda just listened to the ex,,been telling me that fer years :cool:[/QUOTE]

:cheerful:

Wishboned
2/11/2013, 05:22 PM

The doc thought his wallet needed to match his head.

olevetonahill
2/11/2013, 05:40 PM
The doc thought his wallet needed to match his head.

:cheerful:

FirstandGoal
2/12/2013, 11:50 AM
Okay so Okie, why oh why have you not tried audiobooks? I love them because I can multi-task (it makes doing housework much more tolerable) and can still "read" a good book at the same time. This fall when I was doing a lot of driving back and forth to Tulsa for a job I would rip through a couple of audiobooks a week.

That being said, I probably would fall asleep at the wheel listening to a Clancy audiobook. I'm sorry, but he spends way too much time on exposition and excruciating detail for my taste. I like the parts where the action get going, but so many times I find myself skimming through many parts of his books.

okiewaker
2/12/2013, 12:12 PM
FirstandGoal, I do have Pocket Tunes and I listen to the old Alfred Hitchcock and Twilight Zone shows but never thot about getting audiobooks. I may check in to it.

olevetonahill
2/12/2013, 12:53 PM
Okay so Okie, why oh why have you not tried audiobooks? I love them because I can multi-task (it makes doing housework much more tolerable) and can still "read" a good book at the same time. This fall when I was doing a lot of driving back and forth to Tulsa for a job I would rip through a couple of audiobooks a week.

That being said, I probably would fall asleep at the wheel listening to a Clancy audiobook. I'm sorry, but he spends way too much time on exposition and excruciating detail for my taste. I like the parts where the action get going, but so many times I find myself skimming through many parts of his books.

heh. A woman after My heart, Skip that boring stuff and lets get right to the action.:drunk:

For light readin I just read a Janet Evanovich ( Stephanie Plum) Now i picked up a W.E.B. Griffin
Empire and Honor. he can get into the detail also but I like his books

Wishboned
2/12/2013, 02:02 PM
I've read all of The Brotherhood of War, and The Corps series that W.E.B. Griffin wrote. I really liked those.

olevetonahill
2/12/2013, 02:03 PM
I've read all of The Brotherhood of War, and The Corps series that W.E.B. Griffin wrote. I really liked those.

Agreed. Hes a lot like Clancy in the detail he gets into tho.

ouwasp
2/12/2013, 09:09 PM
The ending of Debt of Honor was horribly awesome. I think about it every State of the Union...

olevetonahill
2/12/2013, 09:24 PM
The ending of Debt of Honor was horribly awesome. I think about it every State of the Union...

Yea I Dream that we could be so lucky as to have that happen for real.
Get all New People there with some one who dont play games to lead us.

BajaOklahoma
2/12/2013, 10:33 PM

Just a thought, but try covering the lens for the farsighted eye with something like a piece of cardboard or put a gauze eye pad over your eye for reading. Totally block the view from that eye, just temporarily. The headaches are probably from your brain trying to accept two drastically different images at once. If it works, then ask you eye doctor about how much reading you can safely do per day.

C&CDean
2/14/2013, 12:26 PM

Audio books are the shiz. I never listen to them at home or in town, but on the road? Oh hells yes. I usually do the Cracker Barrell deal where you buy the book and if you bring it back within a week, they give you your money back minus about $3.50. You can return them to any Cracker Barrell. Most books are ~$40 or so. If you keep it another week - another $3.50. If you never bring it back, you already bought it so it's OK.

You can also get them at the library, but I've found many of them are ****ed up. Skip, stick, etc. When I forget to hit a Cracker Barrell I have all the Harry Potter books on CD and I'll grab one of them. Sure makes the miles/time fly.

FirstandGoal
2/17/2013, 01:11 PM
Audio books are the shiz. I never listen to them at home or in town, but on the road? Oh hells yes. I usually do the Cracker Barrell deal where you buy the book and if you bring it back within a week, they give you your money back minus about $3.50. You can return them to any Cracker Barrell. Most books are ~$40 or so. If you keep it another week - another $3.50. If you never bring it back, you already bought it so it's OK.

You can also get them at the library, but I've found many of them are ****ed up. Skip, stick, etc. When I forget to hit a Cracker Barrell I have all the Harry Potter books on CD and I'll grab one of them. Sure makes the miles/time fly.

yes, HP audiobooks are my "go to" whenever I'm doing some unpleasant task I would rather not be doing and I want to just be amused during it. I will choose random books and even start somewhere in a random place in the book and start listening and before I know it, I've got the bathroom cleaned, or the yard weeded or the garage cleaned. I keep those books stored permenantly on my ipod and I always have room on there for all of my playlists and a couple of other audiobooks that I might be into at the time.
I like checking out books from the library and downloading them to my ipod, but have found that a few of them have been abused and the sound quailty can be pretty crappy.