PDA

View Full Version : OK conspiracy theorists, this year Ole Miss is getting a bye and here's why

Jacie
2/9/2013, 02:14 PM
Disclaimer: All of this is random speculation on my part. Feel free to rip this thread to shreds.

From the thread about the 5-star recruits I copy and paste the following:

Ole Miss broke out the checkbook this year to get what...3 of em?

Of the top 300 recruits, 35 went to the entire Big XII. 10 went to Ole Miss.

Why in the hell would any top recruit sign with Ole Miss? Yet they got 2 of the top 5 and 3 of the top 20? No ****ing way that is legit.

yep, i smell death penalty too

This situation begs the question, is the Ole Miss coach really that good of a recruiter or . . .

Now you would think that coaches from other schools would be screaming bloody murder at the signing day results. Just refer back to when Cam Newton settled on Auburn if you don't think they would.

It appears to this fan the boosters stepped in and some bags of cash have exchanged hands, yet no one is calling this one what it looks like and I think there's a reason.

For years the NCAA has been after certain schools to get on the politically correct bandwagon when it comes to things like mascots. Ole Miss was one of the holdouts, what with waving of a huge rebel flag at games and being represented by an old white guy referred to as Colonel Reb. However, in 2010 the school came around and switched mascots, going against the students' choice (a character from Star Wars) and ultimately choosing a black bear. There have been a couple of other PC things happening there including crowning an African American girl homecoming queen.

So, it could be that in exchange for doing the bidding of the NCAA the Ole Miss football program has been given the green light to get away with one or two or three, whatever. Most of you will scoff at this but think back, way back. I think most of you believe the NCAA punished Oklahoma for forcing their hand at getting them to relinquish control of college football television rights, right? Well then, by that reasoning, you can't have a Hell unless you have a Heaven. If the NCAA punishes what in their eyes is bad behavior, would they not reward good behavior? And of course, Ole Miss is in the most influential conference as well. Letting them get away with something other schools are routinely sanctioned for does not seem so far-fetched does it? Well?

kevpks
2/9/2013, 03:02 PM
I don't know if there is truth to this but your post is a good read. I keep thinking on Nick Nolte in Blue Chips who sat back as Shaq and Penny Hardaway showed up to turn around the program. I'm not sure if they're crooked or not but all of the SEC schools probably think it's worth the risk after watching nothing happen to Auburn. I'm sure the pressure to compete with Saban down there is immense and those programs would do just about anything to get an edge.

8timechamps
2/9/2013, 03:14 PM
It's been a long time since a team like Ole Miss landed the kind of recruiting class they just landed. Was it money, incentives, an inside deal? Who knows. If it was any of those things, it will eventually come out. The downside for Ole Miss getting a class like the one they just signed is that the spot light is shining bright in Oxford. Anybody with any reason to suspect Ole Miss of foul play will be looking in every nook and cranny, searching for some kind of wrong doing.

It's not odd that Ole Miss got good players to sign, it is odd that Ole Miss got as many good players to sign as they did. Maybe it's just really good recruiting, or maybe there really is something to it.

SoonerinLA
2/9/2013, 03:15 PM
Excellent theory but I disagree. If the NCAA went after the Buckeyes and USC they wouldn't hesitate to go after Ole Miss. If there is evidence Ole Miss cheated the NCAA will look into it.

cleller
2/9/2013, 03:21 PM
I think its mostly the Hugh Freeze hire. Here's a guy all these kids know of from The Blind Side. This year he got an early commit from the #1 recruit in the country, Robert Nkemdiche, because his big brother was already there. Don't know if that was part of a larger plan, but it worked.

Ole Miss has the tag of up and comer, and gives kids the chance to come into the SEC, where the pro scouts will see them, and they can try to conquer new ground. For teen-aged boys, Bama/Saban and LSU/Miles probably already seem like older, boring places with mean and/or crazy coaches. These kids realize they can go to Ole Miss, enjoy playing the game, and still compete where everyone is watching. All while not having a tyrant or nutjob in charge of your destiny.

It seems like right now Freeze has energy and enthusiasm running out his ears, and he's used it to recruit.

It also seems like it was all part of a big, daring plan:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130207/hugh-freeze-ole-miss-signing-day/

8timechamps
2/9/2013, 03:21 PM
Excellent theory but I disagree. If the NCAA went after the Buckeyes and USC they wouldn't hesitate to go after Ole Miss. If there is evidence Ole Miss cheatedn the NCAA will look into it.

Especially with the NCAA investigating body currently being scrutinized. If there's something amiss, it'll get uncovered.

badger
2/9/2013, 06:54 PM
The star wars mascot thing was covered in an espn ad. Lucasfilm wasnt going to allow them to use admiral ackbaar. I think the bear was the top choice regardless

Blue
2/9/2013, 07:18 PM
I'm all for spreading the talent wealth around in the SEC. A better Ole Miss means more hurdles for their big boys.

Curly Bill
2/9/2013, 07:40 PM
I don't have any doubt that something crooked is going on there! Of course I'd say that about just about all big-time college football programs.

Aries
2/9/2013, 09:17 PM
I think most of you believe the NCAA punished Oklahoma for forcing their hand at getting them to relinquish control of college football television rights, right? Well then, by that reasoning, you can't have a Hell unless you have a Heaven. If the NCAA punishes what in their eyes is bad behavior, would they not reward good behavior?

Not saying if you're right or wrong, but that's just bad logic.

cleller
2/9/2013, 10:05 PM
Whatever Ole Miss is doing, I'm impressed by. In honor of that (and my Mississippi family roots) for the time being I'm going Colonel Reb. (avatar) What a rank and raw deal he got down there.

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2013, 11:07 PM
I'm opposed to calling the naval ensign/battle flag the "rebel flag."

stoops the eternal pimp
2/9/2013, 11:38 PM
Little to do with the HC. much to do with Chris Kiffin IMO.

Wishboned
2/10/2013, 01:41 AM
The star wars mascot thing was covered in an espn ad. Lucasfilm wasnt going to allow them to use admiral ackbaar. I think the bear was the top choice regardless

They should try again now that Disney owns Lucasfilms.

BigJerm7
2/10/2013, 07:50 AM
He may have promised a lot of early playing time.

swardboy
2/10/2013, 07:58 AM
He may have promised a lot of early playing time.

...to go along with that sweet new ride!

Sabanball
2/10/2013, 11:59 AM
They're cheating(specifically in recruiting) and the whole story will eventually come out.

badger
2/10/2013, 12:21 PM
They're cheating(specifically in recruiting) and the whole story will eventually come out.

i will laugh when you guys lose to them. i will laugh if ole miss loses to you. hell, any sec win or loss is laugh-worthy on the internet

8timechamps
2/10/2013, 05:09 PM
i will laugh when you guys lose to them. i will laugh if ole miss loses to you. hell, any sec win or loss is laugh-worthy on the internet

I'm with you badg, it's the only way to be assured a hearty laugh!

ashley
2/11/2013, 01:51 PM
Excellent theory but I disagree. If the NCAA went after the Buckeyes and USC they wouldn't hesitate to go after Ole Miss. If there is evidence Ole Miss cheated the NCAA will look into it.

Agree here. They have a team of retired FBI guys that are really good.

LakeRat
2/11/2013, 03:25 PM

evidence? Or just "KNOW"?

soonerinabilene
2/11/2013, 03:30 PM
Have you seen the females that go to Ole Miss? They regularly have the hottest female student body. Maybe the coaches finally wised up and said "Maybe we can get these 18 year old boys to think with their weiners."