PDA

View Full Version : 2013 class impact thread

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/8/2013, 02:06 PM
here are the vids - pic your impact players - beware, we'll revisit this thread over the next 5 years to determine how well you did

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/2013_signing_day_central.html

Who I like

Okoronkwo - It will be interesting how he adapts to weight gain, but wow you have to like that burst from stop to start. He has an insanely quick first 2 steps (compare him to dj ward for example).

KJ Young - has a little damian mackey in him. Runs decent routes (at least compared to the other WRs), catches with his body though

Dakota Austin - Lots of good things here - wraps up, stays in position, attacks the run. It looks like all he has played is zone though. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they kick him to safety to protect him more.

LJ Moore - dude needs a LOT of work, but he has some really good catchup speed. If you watch Austin and then Moore you begin to see what I'm talking about in the difference between 3 and 4 stars. Austin has great technique and positioning but isn't as fast as Moore. Moore has horrible technique but crazy good closing speed. I'll keep him on this list since we are running more man but geez.

Rolling the dice - Stanvon Taylor - I think he switches to offense. Kid has some decent shakes and looks better there than on defense.

8timechamps
2/8/2013, 07:11 PM
1. Hatari Bryd - I think this kid will be an impact player from day one. He's definitely got the size, but what impresses me more is his football IQ and his cover ability.

2. K.J. Young - No question this kid is a diamond in the rough. Nothing too awe inspiring about his physical stature, but he seems to have the ability to get open, and he can do damage after the catch.

3. Keith Ford - Because he was such an early commit, he kind of went undiscussed for a lot of the process. I think he'll redshirt his first year, but once he sees the field, and the game slows down for him, he's going to be good.

4. D.J. Ward - Again, due to an early commitment, he wasn't discussed a lot. Missing his senior year will make it tough for him to be ready in 2013, but he is the prototypical defensive end. I look forward to watching him play.

5. Kerrick Huggins - If he can get his academics figured out, and makes it to campus, he has the ability to be the next big DT at OU. He's raw, and needs to work on his frame, but when he's on, he can be the most dominant player on the line.

Rolling the dice: Ahmad Thomas - Perfect size/style for a safety. He is an early enrollee, and that will help his development. He could break out and be a play-maker.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/8/2013, 07:14 PM
Rolling the dice: Ahmad Thomas - Perfect size/style for a safety. He is an early enrollee, and that will help his development. He could break out and be a play-maker.

Hmm. Watching him I figured he'd be a linebacker.

8timechamps
2/8/2013, 07:39 PM
Hmm. Watching him I figured he'd be a linebacker.

Stoops likened him to Roy Williams (which may be the kiss of death). Personally, I like the bigger safeties, if they can cover (which is why I really like Bryd). It's going to be interesting watch these two develop.

Breadburner
2/8/2013, 08:27 PM
I like Dimon...I think he finishes his career at OU with 30+ sacks....

toast
2/8/2013, 10:50 PM
Okoronkwo - motor runs in high gear

and I'll roll the dice with Cavil

8timechamps
2/8/2013, 10:53 PM
I like Dimon...I think he finishes his career at OU with 30+ sacks....

He's a safe bet, he'll be a good one.

8timechamps
2/8/2013, 10:54 PM
Okoronkwo - motor runs in high gear

and I'll roll the dice with Cavil

I'm anxious to see if Cavil gets moved to TE.

smackramensooner
2/8/2013, 11:20 PM
1. Bryd

2. Dimon

3. Walker

4. Ford

5. Russell

Roll the dice: Savage. Juco is usually a total flop or instant contributor. I think Savage makes instant impact, especially in the run game.

toast
2/9/2013, 09:48 AM
I'm anxious to see if Cavil gets moved to TE.

Yep, you look at that frame and the mismatches he could create and it makes you wonder.

Collier11
2/9/2013, 12:59 PM
Jordan Evans, Hatari Byrd, Dakota Austin, Keith Ford, KJ Young

8timechamps
2/9/2013, 03:23 PM
Yep, you look at that frame and the mismatches he could create and it makes you wonder.

There was some talk (during his recruiting) that he wouldn't commit if he was going to be moved to TE, but it was just speculation. I think he'll play where he has the most success and can see game time. Like you said, his frame would provide some serious mismatches.