PDA

View Full Version : Tony Casillas: We used horse ointment in my day

badger
2/7/2013, 05:56 PM
OK then (http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8925731/tony-casillas-used-horse-ointment-my-nfl-career)

When I heard about deer-antler spray, I said that's nothing. We used to use this stuff called 'DMSO,'" Casillas said last week in an interview with KRLD-FM in Dallas. "That's what veterinarians put on horses' muscles and we used it in the locker room."

picasso
2/7/2013, 06:37 PM
That's nothin' compared to tha blow Mike Ervin and his hoes be doin'. mannnnn

FaninAma
2/7/2013, 06:37 PM
DMSO isn't a PED. It is a solvent that has the ability to penetrate skin and other tissue. It was all the rage in the early 90's because it did help arthritis. It is also used as a vehicle to deliver other medications transcutaneously through the skin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

olevetonahill
2/7/2013, 06:39 PM
Hell I thot everyone had used "Horse Liniment"

prrriiide
2/8/2013, 06:44 AM

No kiddin'. We used some God-awful smelling stuff when I ran track in high school to warm up in cold weather. Burned and smelled like ben-gay spiked with acetone. Wasn't liniment, but close enough.

vtsooner21
2/8/2013, 07:57 AM
Yup, That crappy stuff that burned (especially when you get it close to the cup area) was known as Atom Balm..No one left their jock straps close by and unattended...

Boomer

KantoSooner
2/8/2013, 09:39 AM
DMSO is very interesting stuff. It was used in the 1960's by Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters when they held some of their Acid Tests. Load up squirk pistols with liquid LSD (one drop of rain, on the back of my hand....) and DMSO and you had a delivery system that got the party started within minutes rather than enduring the 30 minutes or so oral application takes.
Essentially a solvent, it has the ability to jump right through the skin into the blood stream and to carry with it relatively long chain molecules. Thus it's been tempting to pharma for a long time as a delivery system.
Interesting side note: a common side effect is the distinct taste of garlic or sardines minutes after topical application far away from the mouth or nose.
There was a brief period in the 1980's and 1990's when DMSO was supposedly showing good efficacy against the symptoms of rhuematoid arthritis. Clinical tests did not show significant correlation, however.
It doesn't seem to have massive downside risks and continues to exist over in the category of 'interesting, but what the hell do you do with it?"

Fraggle145
2/8/2013, 09:47 AM
Dissolve stuff with it.

KantoSooner
2/8/2013, 10:42 AM
Well, yeah, but you know what I was getting at.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/8/2013, 01:52 PM

'Vet...Mom would always but "horse ointment" on our cuts. What they had on the farm and continued to use, she brought it for home use when I was a kid. Don't know what it was, but it sure healed cuts fast...

vtsooner21
2/11/2013, 07:34 AM
And then there was Bag Balm. Created to keep cow udders from chafing. Always was good for dry hands, but please don't ask how this was initially discovered...

Boomer

Jacie
2/11/2013, 09:36 AM
I knew an elderly Japanese lady who swore by WD-40 to relieve arthritis pain.

picasso
2/11/2013, 03:04 PM
I knew an elderly Japanese lady who swore by WD-40 to relieve arthritis pain.

Free base?

aj44mc
2/12/2013, 02:47 PM
wd-40 is made from fish oil so that would make sense. I take Omega-3 for joint pain.