PDA

View Full Version : Sooners invited to the NFL combine

kevpks
2/7/2013, 04:54 PM
Tony Jefferson, Kenny Stills, Lane Johnson, Stacy McGee, Landry Jones, and Tom Wort. I was hoping Justin Brown would get a look but I still think he can make a roster since he can return punts.

http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/02/07/nfl-announces-combine-invites/

Boomer.....
2/7/2013, 05:49 PM
Hurst and King should also be there.

OkieThunderLion
2/7/2013, 11:33 PM
Lane Johnson is going to put on a show. I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks the record for fastest 40 by an OL. Both Chris Chester and Trent Williams were close, in the 4.8s. I think Johnson is faster.

Therealsouthsider
2/8/2013, 12:31 AM
....does anyone know the criteria for an Invitation? I am surprised Justin Brown wasn't ...always struck me as a Michael Irvin type possession reciever

ss

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2013, 01:21 AM
They are voted on..

badger
2/8/2013, 08:24 AM
They are voted on..

Is it fair to say that those uninvited are likely not going to get drafted, or at the best, be 7th rounders? I think they said 333 players got Combine invites.

kevpks
2/8/2013, 02:34 PM
True but that league is filled with undrafted free agents. If the right team gives Justin a look, I think he could make a roster.

Curly Bill
2/8/2013, 02:43 PM
Why did Wort get invited? Did they need someone to run into the offensive lineman to test their blocking?

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2013, 02:48 PM
Why did Wort get invited? Did they need someone to run into the offensive lineman to test their blocking?

heh

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?174459-Senior-Bowl-NFL-Early-Entrants&p=3586191&viewfull=1#post3586191

Curly Bill
2/8/2013, 03:06 PM
heh

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?174459-Senior-Bowl-NFL-Early-Entrants&p=3586191&viewfull=1#post3586191

Maybe teams are thinking special teams guy? Since he does like running into blockers he could be used as a wedge buster on the kickoff team.

MichiganSooner
2/8/2013, 03:51 PM
Tress Way?

badger
2/8/2013, 04:34 PM

now now, maybe he was injured and was having difficulty this past season and will shine after being fully healed

OkieThunderLion
2/8/2013, 07:03 PM
Is it fair to say that those uninvited are likely not going to get drafted, or at the best, be 7th rounders? I think they said 333 players got Combine invites.

Usually about 15% of draft picks weren't invited to the Combine, and about 65% of Combine invitees will be drafted.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/8/2013, 07:22 PM
I'm at a loss for why they didn't invite Brown, especially considering how many top WRs are UDFAs. I'd invite every one of them with a pulse.

8timechamps
2/8/2013, 07:42 PM
At least Brown will get to show his talent at OU's pro day. Given the crop of players entering the draft (from OU) this year, I would imagine there will be plenty of teams represented, hopefully he'll catch someone's eye.

8timechamps
2/8/2013, 07:44 PM

I think this is a good question. I'm glad Wort was a Sooner, and all that blah blah blah, but I find it very odd that he was invited while JB wasn't.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2013, 10:37 PM
I would say it has to do with the state of their positions more than the players themselves..

There are a lot of Justin Browns in this draft...a lot...Even though there isn't a set number at each position invited, there really is..It's a pretty deep draft at WR...jkm is right about the UDFA WRs....Hopefully he will be another, but I dunno..I'm not all that crazy about him as an NFL WR..

Pretty much same with Hurst...There are a lot of mid round corners in this draft...As much film as there is out there on Hurst and they have his measureables from the Shrine game...Give that invite to a buzz guy.

Wort..Several teams have him from late 4th all the way to UDFA...Lots of questions..real size, speed..I think everyone realizes this season was a wash from him..partly his fault, but NFL guys don't blame it all on him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/8/2013, 10:46 PM
There are a lot of Justin Browns in this draft...a lot...Even though there isn't a set number at each position invited, there really is..It's a pretty deep draft at WR...jkm is right about the UDFA WRs....Hopefully he will be another, but I dunno..I'm not all that crazy about him as an NFL WR.

I realize that, but Brown does a lot of things that most WRs don't do - PR/KR/Gunner AND he blocks. I could see him doing well in a run heavy system.

8timechamps
2/8/2013, 10:51 PM
I would say it has to do with the state of their positions more than the players themselves..

There are a lot of Justin Browns in this draft...a lot...Even though there isn't a set number at each position invited, there really is..It's a pretty deep draft at WR...jkm is right about the UDFA WRs....Hopefully he will be another, but I dunno..I'm not all that crazy about him as an NFL WR..

Pretty much same with Hurst...There are a lot of mid round corners in this draft...As much film as there is out there on Hurst and they have his measureables from the Shrine game...Give that invite to a buzz guy.

Wort..Several teams have him from late 4th all the way to UDFA...Lots of questions..real size, speed..I think everyone realizes this season was a wash from him..partly his fault, but NFL guys don't blame it all on him.

As for Wort, he seems so undersized to be an NFL LB. I know there are exceptions to that rule, but those guys usually stood out in college. As much as Wort struggled to beat blocks, I'd think he's got an uphill battle.

How much do teams weight pro-day versus the combine?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2013, 10:57 PM
I realize that, but Brown does a lot of things that most WRs don't do - PR/KR/Gunner AND he blocks. I could see him doing well in a run heavy system.

Right...All things that are shown on film, not at the combine...I don't disagree with you and maybe since Tracy Moore was granted a 6th year at osu, JB may be up for his spot..

Brown is one of those guys I like as a college football player..I think his hands are suspect and he doesn't use his size enough to his advantage..I have no idea how fast he really is..

When I think Justin Brown and a camp he should hit, I say Giants, KC, or Pittsburgh.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2013, 10:59 PM
As for Wort, he seems so undersized to be an NFL LB. I know there are exceptions to that rule, but those guys usually stood out in college. As much as Wort struggled to beat blocks, I'd think he's got an uphill battle.

How much do teams weight pro-day versus the combine?

Combine is usually for where to draft a guy..Pro day guys are guys to invite to camp..Some manage to sneak in late rounds...As far as guys that test at both, Combine numbers usually override unless player was overcoming injury.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2013, 11:00 PM
What they will want to know is if Wort can carry an extra 15 lbs....that's the weight I hear if he really is at 235...I don't think he's ever played at that.

8timechamps
2/8/2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the insight STEP.

BudSooner
2/9/2013, 08:45 AM
I'm at a loss for why they didn't invite Brown, especially considering how many top WRs are UDFAs. I'd invite every one of them with a pulse.I'm struggling to think, but wasn't Wes Welker undrafted?

Salt City Sooner
2/9/2013, 02:01 PM
I'm struggling to think, but wasn't Wes Welker undrafted?
Must not be struggling too much :) ; you're correct.

BudSooner
2/9/2013, 03:11 PM
That's what I was thinking, just felt too lazy to chasing the info down..lol.

okiewaker
2/9/2013, 03:31 PM
I think Justin Brown will make a roster somewhere. He's big, can return kicks, good size and hands.

OkieThunderLion
2/9/2013, 09:39 PM
What they will want to know is if Wort can carry an extra 15 lbs....that's the weight I hear if he really is at 235...I don't think he's ever played at that.

Wort started this fall at 238. Probably lost weight as season went on, as usual.

Wort is undersized because he's 6-0.5, not because he's light. He's heavy-legged.

OkieThunderLion
2/9/2013, 09:47 PM

He has no chance of being an NFL return guy.

okiewaker
2/10/2013, 12:03 PM
If Wort makes a roster I would be surprised. Unless he suddenly turns into a calamus or Lehman or something, I don't see how he's going to make a roster. Heck, even those two had a hard time making it. I do wish him luck though.

OkieThunderLion
2/10/2013, 12:44 PM
If Wort makes a roster I would be surprised. Unless he suddenly turns into a calamus or Lehman or something, I don't see how he's going to make a roster. Heck, even those two had a hard time making it. I do wish him luck though.
They could play. Their bodies just broke down on them.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/10/2013, 04:25 PM
He has no chance of being an NFL return guy.

It really depends, he is more like returners from a decade ago than current ones. The thing is Brown had the most unheralded 14 PR average I've ever seen. You don't think he is doing much and then you look at the numbers and you are like wha? That really appeals to some coaches over others.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/10/2013, 04:27 PM
I'm struggling to think, but wasn't Wes Welker undrafted?

Neither was Victor Cruz. Gascon was a 6th rounder.

It is one of the stranger things that I've seen that WRs are so easy to spot from HS to college and so hard to spot from college to the Pros.