PDA

View Full Version : OSU just hired a D2 offensive coordinator

badger
2/7/2013, 10:59 AM
Heh. (http://shipraiders.com/coaches.aspx?rc=422&path=fb)

EDIT: via twitter:

Mike Gundy ‏@CoachGundy

Proud to announce Mike Yurcich as the new Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks coach at #okstate #GoPokes

MyT Oklahoma
2/7/2013, 11:20 AM
So who is this guy?

Curly Bill
2/7/2013, 11:25 AM
I don't see a problem with this. I'd argue it's better than hiring coaches primarily because they're your buddies.

KantoSooner
2/7/2013, 11:28 AM
Exacrtly. Once Gumby decided to get an OC, he's done a pretty dam good job of selecting them.

CowboyMRW
2/7/2013, 11:32 AM
Chip Kelly says hello

badger
2/7/2013, 11:41 AM
Chip Kelly says hello

And then, Chip Kelly says goodbye! :P

tycat947
2/7/2013, 12:52 PM
And then, Chip Kelly says goodbye! :P

:applause::applause::applause:

Scott D
2/7/2013, 05:39 PM
Brian Kelly says hi...then goodbye, then hi, then goodbye, then hi, then goodbye, then hi.

picasso
2/7/2013, 06:40 PM
I don't see a problem with this. I'd argue it's better than hiring coaches primarily because they're your buddies.

Are you saying Stoops does this based on his friendship and not said coach's ability?

JLEW1818
2/7/2013, 08:51 PM
[/QUOTE]Are you saying Stoops does this based on his friendship and not said coach's ability?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes

goingoneight
2/7/2013, 09:31 PM
I don't think Stoops employs the "buddy system" that fans keep trying to pick on him for. I do think, as an employer, that he's one of those types who doesn't trust easily. You can see it in the way he has always carried himself in the press. Never cusses or sticks his foot directly in his mouth, always quick to jump on a presumptuous question (as if to say he knows the bogus article before it's even written). I do think, however that he believes in the Coach Boone Theory. That if something works, it works 10 years later, too. This explains the possible rehire of Mangino, Heupel and his brother when everybody else is screaming that it's a bad idea. Bob knows more than just a guy or two in this business. I assure you, he doesn't want his best man coaching his quarterback's blindside tackles and he doesn't want his pool boy coaching his secondary. Nobody complained about Mangino, Mike, Chuck Long, Steve Spurrier, Jr., Shipp, BJW or Venables in January 2001.

Sometimes the Good Cop hires the Bad Cop. Ala Bob hiring Mike Leach and later Kevin Sumlin. Most of the time, though... the Cop just hires the best guy available who will take the job. The staff has "reshuffled" numerous times in Bob's era here when it didn't look like things were going too well. Could be going on again, you never know. Each time we've "reshuffled," it's been said that we needed to change our philosophy here or there if we're not replacing a very successful former assistant. We've been pretty good at adpating to the times and getting the most out of what we've had.

colleyvillesooner
2/7/2013, 11:50 PM
Chip Kelly says hello

And...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2013, 01:23 AM
What is/was Kittle's ability?

texaspokieokie
2/8/2013, 09:56 AM

Maybe this one will stay a little longer.

badger
2/8/2013, 10:11 AM
Maybe this one will stay a little longer.

If Oregon sucks, look for quack quack to find a new guy fast... one that does nothing but put points on the board in quick fire fashion.

I do think that Stoops had a buddy system going, but when his buddies started to let him down he had to start thinking about what was best for him and the team. Bye bye Willie Martinez. Bye bye... Josh Heupel?

Breadburner
2/8/2013, 10:17 AM
Gus Malzahn.....Anyone....!!

badger
2/8/2013, 10:31 AM
Gus Malzahn.....Anyone....!!
rHIQSFM0kAs
Kristi: "And Gus was like SHUT UP!"

kevpks
2/8/2013, 02:30 PM
I just hope Darth Stoops has an answer for Master Yurcich's schemes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiPRUSrDlE

Ruf/Nek7
2/8/2013, 02:59 PM
Brian Kelly says hi...then goodbye, then hi, then goodbye, then hi, then goodbye, then hi.

Wait, isn't that Brett Favre?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POyFvDgV2cU

MichiganSooner
2/8/2013, 03:48 PM
The small college coach should do just fine. Football is football. The players are a little bigger and a little faster than the smaller college players, in general. Could Terry Bradshaw play? Could Lem Barney cover? Could Bo Schembechler coach? All came out of small colleges.

picasso
2/9/2013, 10:23 AM
The small college coach should do just fine. Football is football. The players are a little bigger and a little faster than the smaller college players, in general. Could Terry Bradshaw play? Could Lem Barney cover? Could Bo Schembechler coach? All came out of small colleges.
Well yeah, hindsight is perfect when you use the best examples out there.

And I don't buy that Stoops hired guys based on just friendship and not merit. That's just silly.

Soonerjeepman
2/9/2013, 12:07 PM
so...did Stoops rehire mangino?

Piware
2/14/2013, 01:45 AM

Bless their little pointed orange heads. They are always just so damned proud!

TXBOOMER
2/14/2013, 04:46 PM
OSU could have hired Bobs buddy Kittle as their OC and I wouldn't care. I am not a big fan of OUrs yet. Maybe one day they will get it done against a legit top 10 team and I'll get on board. Big stats against average big 12 schools and barely able to score and three and outs against good teams is getting old hat with them.

TXBOOMER
2/14/2013, 04:47 PM
Well yeah, hindsight is perfect when you use the best examples out there.

And I don't buy that Stoops hired guys based on just friendship and not merit. That's just silly.

I would like to agree but I can't figure the Kittle thing out.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/14/2013, 07:24 PM
They did hire an OC with OC experience somewhere..

birddog
2/24/2013, 02:27 PM
rHIQSFM0kAs
Kristi: "And Gus was like SHUT UP!"

that chick needs to lay off the vino and zanax, am i wrong? am i wrong? although she may be a conscientious objector, i think smokey would tell her that she was OVER THE LINE!!!!