PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Class wrap-up

8timechamps
2/6/2013, 11:51 PM
Not the best class Stoops has brought in, but far from the worst. Of course there's no way to know what this class really is for at least a couple of years, but overall, I think it's a pretty solid group.

There are a couple of negatives with this class. First and foremost is the lack of linebackers. Although OU got two commits at LB, neither are prototypical backers, and neither is projected as an immediate starter. The other negative in this class had to be the guys OU didn't sign. It happens every year, but for some reason, this year has been scrutinized like no other. Missing on a "sure thing" recruit, Justin Mannning, really put that topic in the spotlight. Hopefully, not signing Manning won't come back and bite the Sooners.

Now, on to the positives...

Quarterback
Cody Thompson is a stud. There's not much else to say. Although most recruiting services ranked him in the mid-teens, he's going to end up being a very good player. Thomas has always focused on football and baseball, and plans to do the same at OU. If Thomas can find a way to put the time and effort into being the QB at OU, and maintain his baseball skill, he could be a legitimate threat to challenge the QB spot in the next couple of years. 8time's Grade: A

Running Back
When was the last time the #1 RB in the country de-committed from a team, and that team still ended up with a phenomenal RB? That's what happened this year. After Greg Bryant de-committed from OU, nobody was too worried, because Keith Ford is arguably as good as Bryant. Given the current group of RBs in the backfield, I expect Ford to redshirt, but once he sees time on the field, he's going to be a big time contributor. 8time's Grade: A

Wide Recievers
Another solid group of receivers for Norvell. Dannon Cavil tops the list, and breaks the family tradition of playing for the Horns. Cannon is a big bodied kid, that could end up at TE. Add Smallwood, Young and probably Austin Bennett and once again OU has a stable of skill players coming to campus. I fully expect a couple of these guys to end up being break-out players, and play at the next level. No urgent needs at WR, which means some of these guys may redshirt. Overall, a talented group of players with high potential. One or two will see game time early next season. 8time's Grade: A-

Offensive Line
Not the best year for landing O-line talent. Late pushes for tackles resulted in some immediate help, and some unknowns. JUCO transfer Josiah St. John will contribute immediately and add much needed depth to the O-line, while Christian Daimler will most likely redshirt and build on his college-ready frame. Late addition Dionte Savage, like St. John, will help add depth at guard and can make an immediate impact. While OU landed some players that can jump in and help now, there's no question OU could have used more. 8time's Grade: B-

Defensive Line
Four players will come to Norman looking to make a name at DT. That's never a bad thing. JUCO transfer Quincy Russell should enter the DT rotation immediately, but there very well could be one or two of the others that see time at that position. While OU missed on the big name DTs, the four kids that did commit look very promising. At DE, it's another embarrassment of riches for BJW. Jumping in early was the key to landing Matt Dimon and getting Ogbonnia Okoronkwo to flip his commitment. Dimon could see action in 2013, but I think Oko will need a redshirt year before contributing. Then there's D.J. Ward, the hometown kid. Ward missed his senior year, but was able to spend more time around the program. He'll be ready to start for the first game, so there will be some very interesting competitions along the D-Line next summer. All in all, a group of defensive linemen that any program in the FBS would love to have signed. 8time's Grade: A-

Linebacker
A very thin year for the position. Dominique Alexander, the unofficial leader of this year's class, could become a fan favorite. Not a huge player, but what he lacks in size, he makes up for in speed and football IQ. May see action in 2013. Jordan Evans is an OU legacy, so you have to think the fire burns hot for him. Evans played both OLB and DE in high school, and it is unclear where he'll play on Stoops' defense. He's a little bit of an unknown, that could become very known if the coaches are right. 8time's Grade: C

Defensive Back
Without question, this is the strength of this year's class. This is a Mike Stoops DB class from top to bottom. Hatari Bryd is coming to Norman with the drive to start the first game of his Sooner carrier, and I'm not betting against him. He's built in the Roy Williams mold, and those are big shoes to fill...I think he plans to leave a legacy after his time in Norman, so that future recruits will be compared to Hatari Bryd. Fresno East High School decided to give OU a package deal, and the last commit to sign today, L.J. Moore is part two of that package. Welcome the new Cali Duo: Bryd/Moore. Oklahoma's own Stanvon Taylor wants to see the field as soon as possible, and I wouldn't bet against him. Add another very good safety in Ahmad Thomas, and one other CB in Dakota Austin, and you have a very talented group of playmakers that come to Norman looking to win championships. 8time's Grade: A+

Kicker
JUCO Punter Jed Barnett will make Tress Way's departure much, much easier. Barnett has a big leg, and great head on his shoulders. I almost never follow kicker/punter recruits, but I know enough to know this was a position that could have turned out pretty bad if not addressed, and fortunately, OU did more than just address it, they got a very good punter. 8time's Grade: B

Overall, I'd give this year's class a solid A. Positions of need were filled with quality players, some that can contribute immediately, and some that will need to take their redshirt year and get their minds and bodies ready to play at this level. Lost a couple of recruits that were considered "locks", but gained some kids that will be all conference in the years to come. Not Stoops' best class, but far from his worst.

Curly Bill
2/7/2013, 08:51 AM
A solid A? I don't know man, that's a lot of optimism. But hey, if ya like drinking Kool Aid for breakfast who am I to stop you?!

cleller
2/7/2013, 09:08 AM
Big Al on The Animal seemed concerned by the lack of LBs, particularly after the 3-4 switch. How's this going to play out? LB has not been a position of strength for a couple years already.

Curly Bill
2/7/2013, 10:03 AM
If I were to give this class a grade, and I'm no expert so take this FWIW, I'd give it a: B-

Boomer.....
2/7/2013, 10:14 AM
I'd probably say a solid B. Not spectacular, but not bad either. We'll just have to wait and see how the players turn out.

LakeRat
2/7/2013, 11:17 AM
8time: How do you give a solid A? Are you telling me that every recruiting service out there is wrong? And which recruiting class was worse?

I know we got a couple studs, but Bama, FL, Ohio State, ND and a couple others got twice the amount of studs we got this year.

One4OU
2/7/2013, 11:22 AM
Please be realistic....this class on paper is a B-. Doesnt mean they wont succeed bit lots of work to be done.

If we dont develop some players in the last class or the next one we will be sitting in the same pool as fexas.

MyT Oklahoma
2/7/2013, 11:32 AM
This is what I needed to know. Thanks for taking the time to share your analysis. Only time will tell how good these young men are.

cherokeebrewer
2/7/2013, 11:47 AM
I'd probably say a solid B

This would be my grade too...but I'm no teacher.

Sabanball
2/7/2013, 12:21 PM
A consensus #15 ranked class is pretty good--and good enough to be the best ranked recruiting haul in the Big 12.

SoonerorLater
2/7/2013, 12:27 PM
Well that seems like a "glass half full" evaluation. Hope your right. Pressed I would give the class an overall C+. Maybe a B- if I woke up in a good mood.

achiro
2/7/2013, 12:39 PM
If you guys weren't looking at OU through a magnifying glass this year you'd be perfectly happy with this class. I didn't hear near the screaming in 2007 when the class was ranked 30 or whatever. Other than missing on LB a bit this is a pretty damn good class. I'm not sure I would have even gone as low as b- on the OL because the needs aren't as grim as a lot of folks keep saying. We only lost one OL from last years rotation. Another year of development to a couple of the young guys will make them pretty solid and I'm not sure you want many more OL guys on scholarship. We still have some talent at LB so hopefully with another year under MS they will learn to shed blocks ;)

cherokeebrewer
2/7/2013, 12:48 PM
A consensus #15 ranked class is pretty good--and good enough to be the best ranked recruiting haul in the Big 12.

So you're saying a B then...Actually after reading thru the Mack Brown NSD presser on shaggy...I feel good!

SoonerorLater
2/7/2013, 01:05 PM
If you guys weren't looking at OU through a magnifying glass this year you'd be perfectly happy with this class. I didn't hear near the screaming in 2007 when the class was ranked 30 or whatever. Other than missing on LB a bit this is a pretty damn good class. I'm not sure I would have even gone as low as b- on the OL because the needs aren't as grim as a lot of folks keep saying. We only lost one OL from last years rotation. Another year of development to a couple of the young guys will make them pretty solid and I'm not sure you want many more OL guys on scholarship. We still have some talent at LB so hopefully with another year under MS they will learn to shed blocks ;)

Actually in 2007 we were ranked 14th by Rivals but the average recruit ranking was 3.38 as compared to this class with an average star rating of 3.17 for the 2013 class, roughly about the same as Vanderbilt or Tennessee. It should also be noted that the big names of that class were all 4* recruits. Frank Alexander, Ryan Broyles, Travis Lewis and Phil Loadholt all eventually being drafted and ending up on NFL rosters. Donald Stephenson was the only 2* or 3* player from that class to make an NFL roster and he was rated as high as you can be on the scale without being a 4*.

achiro
2/7/2013, 01:53 PM
Actually in 2007 we were ranked 14th by Rivals but the average recruit ranking was 3.38 as compared to this class with an average star rating of 3.17 for the 2013 class, roughly about the same as Vanderbilt or Tennessee. It should also be noted that the big names of that class were all 4* recruits. Frank Alexander, Ryan Broyles, Travis Lewis and Phil Loadholt all eventually being drafted and ending up on NFL rosters. Donald Stephenson was the only 2* or 3* player from that class to make an NFL roster and he was rated as high as you can be on the scale without being a 4*.

http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=9&c=14&yr=2007

Fraggle145
2/7/2013, 02:00 PM
We only lost one OL from last years rotation. Another year of development to a couple of the young guys will make them pretty solid and I'm not sure you want many more OL guys on scholarship.

Considering how well we ran the ball last year (in games that mattered) I am not sure that is such a good thing. With the amount of injuries our OL sustains every year during spring and summer we need about twice the OL as your average team. Or at least that has been the trend.

EatLeadCommie
2/7/2013, 02:03 PM
Missed big in the LB department, which is where we need serious help. For that reason alone, I can't give this class more than a C+. In all other facets, it seems to be a pretty typical OU class, though not as highly rated as most.

Fans are looking at OU through a magnifying glass for good reason. If we continue to not address our most pressing needs, Stoops will be gone within 5 years and our program will be mediocre. They're already mediocre by OU standards.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2013, 02:09 PM

Then there was that little fact that Broyles was a 3* as long as he was going to Pokey State (while we were slow playing him) and then got that 4th star at the end of the season when we started showing more interest. Broyles was something like our 6th target at WR that year.

Lott's Bandana
2/7/2013, 02:46 PM
Dominique Alexander

Was there any doubt this guy would be an OU defensive player, simply given his name?

birddog
2/7/2013, 02:55 PM
This is the first time I've seen OU recruiting considered so bland. Last time I felt confident in the players interested in playin for a school that wins mnc's was Calhoun and bus Johnson. Since then it all seems watered down and filled with a lack of interest. Guess I'll pass on the guys we signed and look forward to next year. Ehhhh

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/7/2013, 03:06 PM
I'd probably say a solid B. Not spectacular, but not bad either. We'll just have to wait and see how the players turn out.This is about where I am on the impression of what we have this year.

Curly Bill
2/7/2013, 03:29 PM
This is the first time I've seen OU recruiting considered so bland. Last time I felt confident in the players interested in playin for a school that wins mnc's was Calhoun and bus Johnson. Since then it all seems watered down and filled with a lack of interest. Guess I'll pass on the guys we signed and look forward to next year. Ehhhh

That was a class to get excited about! But talk about a bunch of flops.

jkjsooner
2/7/2013, 04:19 PM

Dang, look where Bama was.

8timechamps
2/7/2013, 05:29 PM
A solid A? I don't know man, that's a lot of optimism. But hey, if ya like drinking Kool Aid for breakfast who am I to stop you?!

You know I'm a little more of an optimist, so take that into consideration.

However, As much as I've followed this years recruiting, and followed/researched each of the kids that signed, I feel pretty comfortable giving this class an A. The two areas that could be argued are LB and OL. On the OL, it's hard to give a grade lower than a B-, simply because of the JUCO talent coming in. At LB, I graded the position a C, because I don't think the Sooners signed enough players and the one's they did sign are kind of unknown. I can understand an argument there. Otherwise, I don't see any other position that the Sooners missed.

8timechamps
2/7/2013, 05:33 PM
8time: How do you give a solid A? Are you telling me that every recruiting service out there is wrong? And which recruiting class was worse?

I know we got a couple studs, but Bama, FL, Ohio State, ND and a couple others got twice the amount of studs we got this year.

I don't know what you mean by the recruiting services getting it wrong. I didn't grade the class based on what they said. I looked at this class in a vacuum, what was needed and what was gained. Based on that, I feel comfortable giving the class an A.

As far as ranking this class in with Stoops' others, it's impossible to do right now. Come back in a couple of years, and I'll give you my opinion. There have been some classes in the past that looked amazing, and they didn't live up to the hype.

Lastly, I'm not comparing this class to Bama, Florida, tOSU, etc. As I mentioned, my analysis is based on what this team needed, what was gained, and what I found during research and following this class.

8timechamps
2/7/2013, 05:36 PM
Please be realistic....this class on paper is a B-. Doesnt mean they wont succeed bit lots of work to be done.

If we dont develop some players in the last class or the next one we will be sitting in the same pool as fexas.

Realistically, how did you arrive at a B-? What do you mean "on paper"? My grades are based on what I've seen through the entire process. I don't look at the recruiting service and take their ranking/rating for a player. I watch film, look at production, and compare their ability to other players in their position group. Please, if being realistic is something else, and this class is really a B-, then tell me how you arrive at that grade. I'd be more than happy to go player by player and compare assessments.

Scott D
2/7/2013, 05:38 PM
zomg srsly this class is a clear F-.

That being said, I'm already looking at the 2015 class. Amateurs.

8timechamps
2/7/2013, 05:41 PM
zomg srsly this class is a clear F-.

That being said, I'm already looking at the 2015 class. Amateurs.

Rookie. I'm hoping on a plan this evening to catch a coupld of 3rd graders in a pick up game. You have to get ahead of the curve...it's all about 2024!

Boomer.....
2/7/2013, 05:46 PM
Rookie. I'm hoping on a plan this evening to catch a coupld of 3rd graders in a pick up game. You have to get ahead of the curve...it's all about 2024!

USC already has best 3rd graders signed.

SoonerorLater
2/7/2013, 05:51 PM

Like I said it was 14th by Rivals. Scout is kind of the step child recruiting site.

achiro
2/7/2013, 06:30 PM
Like I said it was 14th by Rivals. Scout is kind of the step child recruiting site.

And what are they ranked this year by Rivals? 15 so what's your point? You can break down individual averages all you want but that is meaningless to some extent comparing one year to another. The overall class is different. The specific needs of the team are different. My point is that people have really become all doom and gloom about this team and its made this recruiting class terrible to some people...I think it's a bit early to be thinking like that.

Scott D
2/7/2013, 06:41 PM

I do have standards :)

achiro
2/7/2013, 06:51 PM
I don't know why I am wasting my time on this but did you know that there are only two kids from OK on ESPNs top 300(the highest at 199) list and both signed at OU. I don't know about anyone else but that right there should send red flags up on the way the rankings are done. Of all the kids at union, jenks, BA, Edmond, etc, etc. TWO on the top 300 list and none in the top 198?!?!?!

Scott D
2/7/2013, 06:57 PM
Right now their assessment is the talent is in the southeast. I personally wonder how much it has to do with the style of play.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2013, 06:59 PM
I don't know why I am wasting my time on this but did you know that there are only two kids from OK on ESPNs top 300(the highest at 199) list and both signed at OU. I don't know about anyone else but that right there should send red flags up on the way the rankings are done. Of all the kids at union, jenks, BA, Edmond, etc, etc. TWO on the top 300 list and none in the top 198?!?!?!

For whatever reason, there was a huge slant in the rankings towards the east coast. Also Oklahoma kids have always been odd to project. We just have too many cases of kids being late bloomers.

8timechamps
2/7/2013, 07:24 PM

As you know, most of the lists/rankings are somewhat meaningless. I suppose there are a group of kids each year that could be considered the elite. However, there aren't many of those kids, and they aren't automatically going to play at a high level in college. It's pretty easy to realize that most of the services are speculation. When a kid is "not rated", then gets an offer from a top school, then suddenly becomes a "top X list" player, you can be assured that it's a guessing game.

I like some of the services for the information on the kids, but I never consider their class rankings/top X lists worth much.