PDA

View Full Version : ***2013 National Signing Day***

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 10:08 AM
The Sooners have already signed 18 of the 23 expected. There also could be a few toss-ups.

Jed Barnett P
Dannon Cavil WR
Quincy Russell DL
Ahmad Thomas S
D.J. Ward DE
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo DE
Keith Ford RB
Jordan Smallwood WR
Christian Daimler OT
Austin Bennett WR
Matthew Romar DL
Charles Walker DL
Stanvon Taylor CB
Dominique Alexander LB
Josiah St. John OT
Dionte Savage OL
Cody Thomas QB
Matt Dimon DE

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 10:21 AM
Hatari Byrd S is in.

Ruf/Nek7
2/6/2013, 10:26 AM
Anything from Adrian Baker and LJ Moore? I saw we missed on Outlaw.

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 10:41 AM
Jordan Evans LB/KR is in.

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 10:44 AM
Anything from Adrian Baker and LJ Moore? I saw we missed on Outlaw.

Nothing yet. Outlaw to Tech.

landrun
2/6/2013, 10:47 AM
What about Kerrick Huggins?

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 10:48 AM
Sounds like we should get LJ Moore.

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 10:49 AM
What about Kerrick Huggins?

Just waiting on his, KJ Young, and Dakota Austin's LOIs.

OkieThunderLion
2/6/2013, 11:00 AM
Ole Miss picks up 3 5-star kids on NSD?

WTF!

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 11:01 AM
Kerrick Huggins in.

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 11:02 AM

WTF!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/701/746/808419_original.jpg?1359500234

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 11:03 AM
Baker committed to Clemson. :succ:

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 11:10 AM
K.J. Young WR in.

cherokeebrewer
2/6/2013, 11:13 AM
Sounds like we should get LJ Moore.

I have mixed emotions about Moore. He really wants to play in the SEC...we're like his fall back plan.

edit: My mistake. I was thinking T. Johnson...

Ruf/Nek7
2/6/2013, 11:29 AM
I have mixed emotions about Moore. He really wants to play in the SEC...we're like his fall back plan.

edit: My mistake. I was thinking T. Johnson...

Toby Johnson supposedly has academic issues with sec requirements. That could open the door for OU.

Ruf/Nek7
2/6/2013, 11:29 AM
So Ole Miss will be a top 15 team in two years and then all of their big time recruits will leave early and they will fall right back to mediocrity.

cherokeebrewer
2/6/2013, 11:43 AM
Toby Johnson supposedly has academic issues with sec requirements. That could open the door for OU.

One thing is certain...we could use him!

badger
2/6/2013, 11:49 AM

WTF!

Mississippi decided that it was sick of being ranked the 50th state in the nation... in football.

badger
2/6/2013, 11:52 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/701/746/808419_original.jpg?1359500234
Way to sell yourself short recruits...you'll get no any semblance of an education, and if you suck, they'll cut you from scholarship and then the NFL won't want you either and you'll leave school with no diploma. You'll have sold your future for a few $100 bills. Bling bling.

sooner_born_1960
2/6/2013, 11:53 AM

I thought Jr. College was the only hope for players who couldn't make it academically in the SEC.

KantoSooner
2/6/2013, 12:09 PM
Are our academic reqs lower than SEC?!?

Is that possible? I mean some players from SEC schools I've heard on interviews aren't just illiterate, they're pre-verbal.

Flagstaffsooner
2/6/2013, 12:11 PM
I thought Jr. High School was the only hope for players who couldn't make it academically in the SEC.

badger
2/6/2013, 12:29 PM
Are our academic reqs lower than SEC?!?

Is that possible? I mean some players from SEC schools I've heard on interviews aren't just illiterate, they're pre-verbal.

I'm not sure if conferences have academic requirements, but the schools themselves sure do.

Vanderbilt is technically an SEC school and they have some of the highest academic requirements in the country.

Mississippi State, on the other hand, requires a 2.0 GPA and an ACT score of 18. (www.admissions.msstate.edu/freshman/requirements.php) You can sink to a 16 on the ACT if you're in the top 50 percent of your class or have a 2.5 GPA. From the way it reads, you don't even need a 16 on the ACT if you got a 3.2 GPA.

So, it depends on the school, just like the Big 12, where top 10 percent will get you into any Texas school (with some limitations)

EatLeadCommie
2/6/2013, 12:30 PM
SEC is better academically than the BXII. Vandy, UF, UGA, are all very good state schools. The rest are on par with OU or better, some maybe worse.

EatLeadCommie
2/6/2013, 12:32 PM
Vanderbilt is a private school. Meant that UF and UGA were very good state schools.

badger
2/6/2013, 12:34 PM
UGA got a lot of really good students recently due to the HOPE scholarship program (where everyone pretty much qualified for free state education, so top and average students alike took advantage and stayed in-state) recently. Florida is a huge state, so it would make sense for their flagship to be a good school a la UT-Austin.

Boomer.....
2/6/2013, 12:37 PM
Dakota Austin CB is in.

That finishes our expected class. Now just wait until 5pm to see if LJ Moore chooses us. Toby Johnson will be a wait and see guy.

trwxxa
2/6/2013, 12:50 PM
With the SEC, if a kid signs an LOI and then does not qualify, the school loses that scholly for the year. I don't know enough about Georgia's class to know if they are willing to take that risk this year.

One4OU
2/6/2013, 01:05 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that the SEC has some very tough requirements for juco transfers.

Im not sure what all that entails but the conversation was that there would be some players that wouldnt qualify for Arkie and KState was saving room for them later this summer.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/6/2013, 01:09 PM
Dear lowered at ole miss.. I'm pretty sure Kevin Durant is going to sign a LOI with them the way their day is going.

Flagstaffsooner
2/6/2013, 01:10 PM
good school a la UT-Austin.

Uhh, explain this...

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Citi+BCS+National+Championship+Alabama+v+Texas+xjM V1UvhmsYl.jpg

badger
2/6/2013, 01:30 PM
Uhh, explain this...

Only 75 percent of the UT-Austin freshman class is required by law to be Texas HS top 10 percenters. The other 25 percent can be... well, dumb :mack:

HToady
2/6/2013, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure if conferences have academic requirements, but the schools themselves sure do.

Vanderbilt is technically an SEC school and they have some of the highest academic requirements in the country.

Mississippi State, on the other hand, requires a 2.0 GPA and an ACT score of 18. (www.admissions.msstate.edu/freshman/requirements.php) You can sink to a 16 on the ACT if you're in the top 50 percent of your class or have a 2.5 GPA. From the way it reads, you don't even need a 16 on the ACT if you got a 3.2 GPA.

So, it depends on the school, just like the Big 12, where top 10 percent will get you into any Texas school (with some limitations)

My son took a visit to Ole Miss last year. The requirements above are similar if you are out of state. For Miss residents it's even less. Basically a 500 total on your SAT will get you in if you're from Mississippi. I convinced my son that Ole Miss was "beneath him". I guess he was looking for hot, dumb girls.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/6/2013, 01:56 PM
SEC is better academically than the BXII. Vandy, UF, UGA, are all very good state schools. The rest are on par with OU or better, some maybe worse.

This doesn't have anything to do with freshman athletic admissions which are normally the minimum that the NCAA sets. Jucos, however, are a little tougher since you have to match up a course from your juco with one at your transferring school in your declared major. If you don't have enough credits to qualify as a junior you can't enroll (which is why most players sign and place and get a plan). Ironically, the conference with the easiest admissions for Jucos is the Pac 12 since most of the schools are on the quarters system (which has a lot more flexibility about matching up classes) AND it has the added ability for you to take extra classes in the spring and get caught up since you have 2 quarters before the fall.

One mildly interesting thing to me is that no one has ever sued schools over the difference in athletic and standard admission requirements.

badger
2/6/2013, 02:09 PM
Not OU related, but did you all hear about that Arkansas recruit out of the Miami area? (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arkansas-recruit-mother-steals-letter-intent-fax-goes-175746886--ncaaf.html)

@gregcouch

ESPN says Alex Collins' Mom stole letter of intent so he couldn't sign w/Arkansas. If he can't run her down, he should be in Big 10 anyway

Salt City Sooner
2/6/2013, 02:24 PM

I don't know if it's still the same (wouldn't see why not though) but I know they used to. Lance Mitchell actually qualified to go to UF & had attended classes there for 3 weeks before the SEC came back with the news that they'd nixed one of his transfer classes (math or english, can't remember which), thusly, it was bye bye Gators, hello OU.

jkjsooner
2/6/2013, 02:30 PM

What is that supposed to mean? Did you go to the SEC?

Kidding. I agree that the SEC has some good schools and some mediocre schools. UF is one that gets a bad rap from those who don't know any better.

soonercastor
2/6/2013, 02:51 PM
so how did we do?

Bonehead
2/6/2013, 02:53 PM
I lived in Florida for 16 years and have two sons who both went to UF. I can vouch for the education there. UF is one of the top ranked public universities in the country. The AVERAGE SAT score of my younger son's freshman class was 1390. UF is the choosiest, hardest to get into university in the state. One son is now a doctor. The other is finishing a PhD in nuclear physics, so UF certainly was good to and for them.

I raised them both to be Sooner fans but, as you can expect, they're Gators through and through. I guess you can't win them all.

Salt City Sooner
2/6/2013, 03:10 PM
From an Oregon State board:

http://www.pure-orange.net/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi/bscrecruiting?cmd=get&cG=1333835383&zu=3133383538&v=2&gV=0&p=

Scott D
2/6/2013, 03:18 PM
Big shocker...Leslie has 27 commitments.

EatLeadCommie
2/6/2013, 03:22 PM
Nah. Went to an ACC school actually, so I can talk smack about both conferences! Lol. BXII has lost aTm, CU, MU, and NU. They gained TCU, which is average academically, and WVU, which is horrendous. BXII has some good schools, but is now the worst academic BCS conference. ACC, B10, P12, SEC > BXII

badger
2/6/2013, 03:45 PM
Big shocker...Leslie has 27 commitments.

A moment of silence for the two commits that will either be grayshirted or end up elsewhere due to oversigning.

:les:

Curly Bill
2/6/2013, 03:48 PM
A moment of silence for the two commits that will either be grayshirted or end up elsewhere due to oversigning.

Moment of silence my a**! They chose to committ there, so they get what they get!

Scott D
2/6/2013, 03:51 PM

the moment of silence should be for the kids that verballed there then changed their minds and went elsewhere that will be slammed in a press conference by Leslie like Gunner Kiel was a year ago.

badger
2/6/2013, 04:05 PM
A moment of silence, then, for the chest that they do not have.

sooner KB
2/6/2013, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know which recruits will be here in the spring?

Scott D
2/6/2013, 04:16 PM
in the spring or are there now?

badger
2/6/2013, 04:18 PM
Does anyone know which recruits will be here in the spring?

only ones that are already enrolled, right? here's the early signees:
Jed Barnett P 6-2 215 Camas, Wash. (Laney College)
Dannon Cavil WR 6-5 205 San Antonio, Texas (James Madison HS)
Quincy Russell DL 6-4 315 San Antonio, Texas (Trinity Valley CC)
Ahmad Thomas S 6-1 205 Miami, Fla. (Miami Central HS)
D.J. Ward DE 6-2 245 Moore, Okla. (Southmoore HS)

i stole the list from ss.com (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/2013_signing_day_central.html)

jkjsooner
2/6/2013, 04:38 PM

If they have 27 then that means 2 of them must have enrolled in January and I believe count against last year's class. The SEC limits them to 25 now.

That, of course, doesn't mean none of them will grayshirt as it's very likely that they don't have 25 openings this year.

At least that's my understanding.

Ruf/Nek7
2/6/2013, 06:12 PM
Any live feed of LJ Moore's decision?

Ruf/Nek7
2/6/2013, 06:30 PM
Nevermind, Moore is a SOONER!

8timechamps
2/6/2013, 06:37 PM
Nevermind, Moore is a SOONER!

I've been on the recruiting board, so I didn't update this thread...but, he's definitely a Sooner. GREAT group of DBs in this class.

VA Sooner
2/6/2013, 08:07 PM
Moore's a Sooner?

Awesome!

Soonerjeepman
2/6/2013, 08:20 PM
I've been on the recruiting board, so I didn't update this thread...but, he's definitely a Sooner. GREAT group of DBs in this class.

Mike Stoops trademark....but no lbers' great~

I know, I know... ;-)

8timechamps
2/6/2013, 08:48 PM
Mike Stoops trademark....but no lbers' great~

I know, I know... ;-)

Oh, I'm with you on the LB thing. Alexander may end up being pretty good, but Mike has to get some stud LBs in 2014....especially if he's going to a 3-4.

Ruf/Nek7
2/6/2013, 08:55 PM
I feel as though the 2014 class is going to be one of our best in several years. Mike will have had a year to recruit his guys. A lot of these defenders in this class got to know BV then we made our change. We missed out on Levenberry when BV left for Clemson. Just some thought.

Blue
2/6/2013, 09:53 PM

Kidding. I agree that the SEC has some good schools and some mediocre schools. UF is one that gets a bad rap from those who don't know any better.

I went to UA, Auburn, and Oklahoma. OU was way tougher. Heck you needed a 26 act out of state just to get into OU.

goingoneight
2/6/2013, 10:04 PM
I just wonder when we get underway in Spring Football who plays where on defense. Even though we have open position battles on offense, it's not like we're converting a bunch of guys or running a different scheme there.
Defensively, though... I just don't know. 3-3-5? 3-4? Same ole Stoops 4-3? 4-0-7? :eek:

I would think if we need bigger LBs, they have Favors and Lindley they can move back from DE. Still don't get why they did that, really. Those guys had good size to play at LB. Total rebuilding project on defense.

OkieThunderLion
2/6/2013, 10:18 PM

Florida is tough to get into. Bad academics prior to the 80s, or so, but by the 90s that had changed.

OkieThunderLion
2/6/2013, 10:19 PM
I don't know if it's still the same (wouldn't see why not though) but I know they used to. Lance Mitchell actually qualified to go to UF & had attended classes there for 3 weeks before the SEC came back with the news that they'd nixed one of his transfer classes (math or english, can't remember which), thusly, it was bye bye Gators, hello OU.
Same thing happened to me 2 years earlier!