PDA

View Full Version : Better than steroids....

swardboy
2/5/2013, 08:20 AM
I find this fascinating....

Stanford researchers' cooling glove 'better than steroids' – and helps solve physiological mystery, too

The temperature-regulation research of Stanford biologists H. Craig Heller and Dennis Grahn has led to a device that rapidly cools body temperature, greatly improves exercise recovery, and could help explain why muscles get tired.

By Max McClure

[news.stanford.edu (http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/cooling-glove-research-082912.html)]

The rapid thermal exchange device, nicknamed 'the glove,' creates a vacuum to draw blood to the surface of the palms. Cold circulating water cools the blood, which returns to the heart and rapidly lowers the body's core temperature.

"Equal to or substantially better than steroids … and it's not illegal."

This is the sort of claim you see in spam email subject lines, not in discussions of mammalian thermoregulation. Even the man making the statement, Stanford biology researcher Dennis Grahn, seems bemused. "We really stumbled on this by accident," he said. "We wanted to get a model for studying heat dissipation."

But for more than a decade now, Grahn and biology Professor H. Craig Heller have been pursuing a serendipitous find: by taking advantage of specialized heat-transfer veins in the palms of hands, they can rapidly cool athletes' core temperatures – and dramatically improve exercise recovery and performance.

The team is finally nearing a commercial version of their specialized heat extraction device, known as "the glove," and they've seen their share of media coverage. But what hasn't been discussed is why the glove works the way it does, and what that tells us about why our muscles become fatigued.
Nature's radiator

For Heller and Grahn, the story starts, improbably, with a longstanding question about bears.

Black bears are extremely well-insulated animals, equipped with a heavy coat of fur and a thick layer of subcutaneous fat that help them maintain their body temperature as they hibernate through winter. But once spring arrives and temperatures rise, these same bears face a greater risk of overheating than of hypothermia. How do they dump heat without changing insulation layers?

Heller and Grahn discovered that bears and, in fact, nearly all mammals have built-in radiators: hairless areas of the body that feature extensive networks of veins very close to the surface of the skin.

Rabbits have them in their ears, rats have them in their tails, dogs have them in their tongues. Heat transfer with the environment overwhelmingly occurs on these relatively small patches of skin. When you look at a thermal scan of a bear, the animal is mostly indistinguishable from the background. But the pads of the bear's feet and the tip of the nose look like they're on fire.

These networks of veins, known as AVAs (arteriovenous anastomoses) seem exclusively devoted to rapid temperature management. They don't supply nutrition to the skin, and they have highly variable blood flow, ranging from negligible in cold weather to as much as 60 percent of total cardiac output during hot weather or exercise.

Coolers and vacuums

In humans, AVAs show up in several places, including the face and feet, but the researchers' glove targets our most prominent radiator structures – in the palms of our hands.

The newest version of the device is a rigid plastic mitt, attached by a hose to what looks like a portable cooler. When Grahn sticks his hand in the airtight glove, the device creates a slight vacuum. The veins in the palm expand, drawing blood into the AVAs, where it is rapidly cooled by water circulating through the glove's plastic lining.

The method is more convenient than, say, full-body submersion in ice water, and avoids the pitfalls of other rapid palm-cooling strategies. Because blood flow to the AVAs can be nearly shut off in cold weather, making the hand too cold will have almost no effect on core temperature. Cooling, Grahn says, is therefore a delicate balance.

"You have to stay above the local vasoconstriction threshold," said Grahn. "And what do you get if you go under? You get a cold hand."

Even in prototype form, the researchers' device proved enormously efficient at altering body temperature. The glove's early successes were actually in increasing the core temperature of surgery patients recovering from anesthesia.

"We built a silly device, took it over to the recovery room and, lo and behold, it worked beyond our wildest imaginations," Heller explained. "Whereas it was taking them hours to re-warm patients coming into the recovery room, we were doing it in eight, nine minutes."

But the glove's effects on athletic performance didn't become apparent until the researchers began using the glove to cool a member of the lab – the confessed "gym rat" and frequent coauthor Vinh Cao – between sets of pull-ups. The glove seemed to nearly erase his muscle fatigue; after multiple rounds, cooling allowed him to do just as many pull-ups as he did the first time around. So the researchers started cooling him after every other set of pull-ups.

"Then in the next six weeks he went from doing 180 pull-ups total to over 620," said Heller. "That was a rate of physical performance improvement that was just unprecedented."

The researchers applied the cooling method to other types of exercise – bench press, running, cycling. In every case, rates of gain in recovery were dramatic, without any evidence of the body being damaged by overwork – hence the "better than steroids" claim. Versions of the glove have since been adopted by the Stanford football and track and field teams, as well as other college athletics programs, the San Francisco 49ers, the Oakland Raiders and Manchester United soccer club.

The elegant muscle

But what does overheating have to do with fatigue in the first place?

Much of the lab's recent research can be summed up with Grahn's statement that "temperature is a primary limiting factor for performance." But the researchers were at a loss to understand why until recently.

In 2009, it was discovered that muscle pyruvate kinase, or MPK, an enzyme that muscles need in order to generate chemical energy, was highly temperature- sensitive. At normal body temperature, the enzyme is active – but as temperatures rise, some of the enzyme begins to deform into the inactive state. By the time muscle temperatures near 104 degrees Fahrenheit, MPK activity completely shuts down.

There's a very good biological reason for this shutdown. As a muscle cell increases its activity, it heats up. But if this process continues for too long, the cell will self-destruct. By shutting itself down below a critical temperature threshold, MPK serves as an elegant self-regulation system for the muscle.

"Your muscle cells are saying, "You can't work that hard anymore, because if you do you're going to cook and die,'" Grahn said.

When you cool the muscle cell, you return the enzyme to the active state, essentially resetting the muscle's state of fatigue.

The version of the device that will be made available commercially is still being tweaked, but the researchers see applications for heat extraction in areas more important than a simple performance boost. Hyperthermia and heat stress don't just lead to fatigue – they can become medical emergencies.

"And every year we hear stories about high school athletes beginning football practice in August in hot places in the country, and there are deaths due to hyperthermia," said Heller. "There's no reason why that should occur."

Craig Heller and Dennis Grahn have personal financial interests in the company that is developing the cooling glove as a commercial product.

budbarrybob
2/5/2013, 08:52 AM
Interesting.... Very interesting

goingoneight
2/5/2013, 09:24 AM
Makes sense... like having your own radiator. Essplains why you feel colder when your hands or feet are out from under the covers, too. :D

KantoSooner
2/5/2013, 09:43 AM
Athletes have long used ice baths. I wonder what's different in this. Very interesting research.

SoonerMarkVA
2/5/2013, 09:45 AM
That is ridiculously cool (no pun intended)!

tator
2/5/2013, 10:27 AM
Athletes have long used ice baths. I wonder what's different in this. Very interesting research.

For one, it's not very efficient or convenient to take an ice bath then continue training.

swardboy
2/5/2013, 11:59 AM
This has to be an incredible edge for halftime use. Imagine coming out the second half as fresh as at the start of the game. Maybe it explains to some degree Stanford's recent success aside from Luck and that running back whose name I can't remember. When I read that the guy doing pull ups went from 180 to 620 in a session....I mean WOW.

Maybe it also explains to a degree San Francisco's success this year out of nowhere too. It just sounds like a huge advantage to me.

One4OU
2/5/2013, 01:04 PM

For one, it's not very efficient or convenient to take an ice bath then continue training.

For two the basis if this project is to cool the core temperature at points that have been determined to be heat outlets...hands.

sooner_born_1960
2/5/2013, 01:10 PM
Would holding an ice bag at halftime produce the same results?

SoonerAtKU
2/5/2013, 01:17 PM
It's partly the cold and the vacuum that holds the blood vessels slightly more open, allowing for more heat transfer. Just a cold bag of ice gets you on the way, but then your blood vessels constrict and then it just cools your hand.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2013, 01:35 PM
It's partly the cold and the vacuum that holds the blood vessels slightly more open, allowing for more heat transfer. Just a cold bag of ice gets you on the way, but then your blood vessels constrict and then it just cools your hand.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the gloves weren't actually that cool (probably 70 degrees or so). The key is that you have 2 circulating systems (your body and the glove system) that are continuously pulling heat out and pushing heat into the hands.

sooner_born_1960
2/5/2013, 01:37 PM
Well, I wouldn't know anything about these vacuums. I'll ask my wife.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2013, 01:38 PM
Well, I wouldn't know anything about these vacuums. I'll ask my wife.

Technically, this works almost exactly like an air conditioning system.

jkjsooner
2/5/2013, 02:50 PM
There is so much gray area in what is considered acceptable and unacceptable in performance enhancement. I wonder if this will be considered unacceptable in the future. If you only consider the argument of competitive advantage, this clearly meets the criteria of something that should be banned.

Some things such as steriods are clear. Not only do they give a competitive advantage but are also very harmful. Others such as blood boosters aren't as harmful and hardly seem any more unnatural than this.

It's hard enough for the various sports to keep up with the constant barrage of new PED's but in the future they'll struggle to keep up with things like this.

jkjsooner
2/5/2013, 02:52 PM
Technically, this works almost exactly like an air conditioning system.

How so? As I understand it the vacuum plays a completely different role than the compressor/expansion used in air conditioning systems. The vacuum just keeps the blood close to the surface and doesn't play a role in the cooling mechanism.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2013, 03:22 PM
How so? As I understand it the vacuum plays a completely different role than the compressor/expansion used in air conditioning systems. The vacuum just keeps the blood close to the surface and doesn't play a role in the cooling mechanism.

The vacuum is only to help the efficiency of the heat exchanger. This is necessary since they can't put the "glove" any closer to the blood vessels than the skin. So they use the vacuum to increase the surface area of skin to glove to increase heat transfer. As for the compression/expansion that goes on in the tank on the floor and in the blood when it leaves the capillaries.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2013, 05:00 PM
Uhhh, no.

Next question.

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 05:54 PM
There is so much gray area in what is considered acceptable and unacceptable in performance enhancement. I wonder if this will be considered unacceptable in the future. If you only consider the argument of competitive advantage, this clearly meets the criteria of something that should be banned.

Some things such as steriods are clear. Not only do they give a competitive advantage but are also very harmful. Others such as blood boosters aren't as harmful and hardly seem any more unnatural than this.

It's hard enough for the various sports to keep up with the constant barrage of new PED's but in the future they'll struggle to keep up with things like this.

This isn't a substance, so I don't see how it could be held to the same guidelines. If you start banning things like "cool gloves", then what's next, helmet cooling systems, mist sprayers, ice?

jkjsooner
2/5/2013, 06:32 PM
The vacuum is only to help the efficiency of the heat exchanger. This is necessary since they can't put the "glove" any closer to the blood vessels than the skin. So they use the vacuum to increase the surface area of skin to glove to increase heat transfer. As for the compression/expansion that goes on in the tank on the floor and in the blood when it leaves the capillaries.

If you're saying that it is like an air conditioner because it is an air conditioner then no argument here. I thought you were making a comparison between the vacuum and a compresssion/expansion of a fluid in an air conditioner.

jkjsooner
2/5/2013, 06:36 PM
This isn't a substance, so I don't see how it could be held to the same guidelines. If you start banning things like "cool gloves", then what's next, helmet cooling systems, mist sprayers, ice?

I don't know that the fact that it is not a substance should necessarily be the determining factor. What makes the use of a substance so bad? What if you use a safe substance (blood enhancer) for training but not during competition? How is that different than this?

What about cattle prods during the workout?

There is a two part argument against PED's. One is of course the safety. The other is the competitive advantage they provide. If safety isn't a concern then it comes down to competitive advantage. If a substance provides no more of a competitive advantage than a non-substance then why should it be banned.

If we're questioning the validity of a guy hitting 70 home runs, why not question the validity if the same guy does it after using this glove in his training (or during a game)?

I'm not saying this should be banned but the gray area is expanding.

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 07:36 PM
I don't know that the fact that it is not a substance should necessarily be the determining factor. What makes the use of a substance so bad? What if you use a safe substance (blood enhancer) for training but not during competition? How is that different than this?

What about cattle prods during the workout?

There is a two part argument against PED's. One is of course the safety. The other is the competitive advantage they provide. If safety isn't a concern then it comes down to competitive advantage. If a substance provides no more of a competitive advantage than a non-substance then why should it be banned.

If we're questioning the validity of a guy hitting 70 home runs, why not question the validity if the same guy does it after using this glove in his training (or during a game)?

I'm not saying this should be banned but the gray area is expanding.

There is no question it's a slippery slope. Personally, if a substance can be proven "healthy" (or non-harmful), I don't see the reason why it shouldn't be allowed. The only argument I could make is that the NCAA wants to keep as level a playing field as possible. If the NCAA lifted the ban on performance enhancing substances, then it would be the schools that could pay for the most advanced stuff on top, and the small schools, that barely operate in the black, on the bottom. The reality is that's already the case, so that's why I say it's a slippery slope for the NCAA.

You do bring up a valid point that I hadn't really thought about.

Soonerfan88
2/5/2013, 08:47 PM
I definitely see it as an uncompetitive advantage right now because it isn't available to every team equally. The commercial product has not been released yet so it should not be usable by any team playing in a competitive league.

Another example would be UT researchers developing an energy bath that immediately heals any wound. Texas athletes are used as their test subjects with extremely successful results. Although the discoverers have already created a company and plan on marketing the product, it's not quite ready yet. Therefore OU has no chance to use it in the RRS and loses in a blowout. Do you think that's fair?

Once the product is on the market and available to everyone, I see no reason why is should be banned.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2013, 09:05 PM
If you're saying that it is like an air conditioner because it is an air conditioner then no argument here. I thought you were making a comparison between the vacuum and a compresssion/expansion of a fluid in an air conditioner.

heh, in other words it moves heat quickly ;-)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2013, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if you see this banned by the Olympics. They have already banned certain swimsuits as "technological doping". I also wouldn't be surprised if something similar to this showed up on the tour de france since that would be the easiest constant application (since you could make the cooling agent into the frame).

sooneron
2/5/2013, 09:27 PM
Maybe it also explains to a degree San Francisco's success this year out of nowhere too. It just sounds like a huge advantage to me.

Yeah, like what did they do last year AFTER they went to the NFC championship game, huh?!?!?!?
They came from out of nowhere this year!!! :rolleyes:

Fuggin tard.

swardboy
2/5/2013, 11:01 PM
I don't know how long this has been available to the 49ers. But before THAT year they were nowhere near that level of performance.

Who peed in your Wheaties?

Tulsa_Fireman
2/6/2013, 09:54 AM
I actually own one of these and sadly, the logic AND product are flawed in concept.

The vaccuum is actually an attempt to put a slight negative pressure on the hands NOT to "increase the surface area", that's just horribly wrong. It acts to literally dilate the capillaries. Think a neck hickey, but before blood actually wicks into the tissues from the capillaries. Add in the water flow from the tubing present and you'd think bingo, instant radiator.

Nope.

All it is is a scam.

For me, making you guys think I have one of these. But the line about "surface area of the skin"? Yeah. That's just retardedly wrong.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/6/2013, 02:09 PM
Can we all agree that proper nutrition should be banned as it enhances performance?

KantoSooner
2/6/2013, 02:25 PM
Would it be legal if we got neanderthal DNA combined it with Shaquile O'Neil DNA and found an 'adventurous' woman to carry the baby and then suited up our 6' 11" 385 lb LB with the 45" sleeve length who could bench 850 lbs at a 50 rep per minute rate and put him in the game? Would it coach? Would it??

Genetic chimeras, the PEDs of 2050.

Legal or not, you know you'd like to see Mack's face when he trotted on the field to call the coin toss....

Scott D
2/6/2013, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if you see this banned by the Olympics. They have already banned certain swimsuits as "technological doping". I also wouldn't be surprised if something similar to this showed up on the tour de france since that would be the easiest constant application (since you could make the cooling agent into the frame).

realistically they should just allow all forms of cheating and doping in the tour de fraud anyway ;)

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 03:18 PM
realistically they should just allow all forms of cheating and doping in the tour de fraud anyway ;)

I saw a factoid once that you have to go down 20-something spots in some of those races to find someone who wasn't busted for cheating at some point. When it gets that bad, you either stop doing it or you take the brakes off. Like the NCAA admitting they can't control twitter, facebook, and texting.