PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here see/heard the WHO do the Quadrophenia album in concert?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/4/2013, 04:52 PM
Dudes are getting oldish, but they're doing it Wed night here in PHX. Thinking srsly about going...

2/4/2013, 05:37 PM
I just played the entire album. Pretty danged good. I wasn't as familiar with all of it, but it's pretty much them at their apex. I will go see them, as it well could be the last time they'll be out there with a live concert.(yeah, they won't do a dead concert, I know)

picasso
2/5/2013, 12:22 AM
I would love to go.

BigTip
2/5/2013, 12:49 AM
Go. Do it.
Page Plant came here a few years ago and I debated whether to go see them or not. I did and was super glad I did.

2/5/2013, 01:00 AM
Hopefully they will use Quadrophenia as a springboard. I understand they will be on stage nearly 2 hrs., so they should be able to squeeze in some Tommy, Baba O'Riley, and some other faves.

The Steely Dan show I saw a yr or so ago, was like that. They played the whole Aja album, then went on to virtually everything else I like by them.

Looking forward to it. The agent at the venue said she heard Roger Daltry was in superb voice right now, FWIW.

2/5/2013, 01:41 AM
The Who will be in Tulsa on Feb. 14th at Bank of Okla. Center.

hawaii 5-0
2/5/2013, 07:19 PM
Read Townshend's autobiography?

Pretty enlightening.

5-0

2/5/2013, 07:52 PM

Pretty enlightening.

5-0No, bit I've heard lots of rumors about him over the years. He is quite a talent, though.

picasso
2/5/2013, 08:31 PM

Pretty enlightening.

5-0
You mean Mick Jagger's ****?

2/6/2013, 01:21 PM
Those no-talent British musicians. highly overrated.

C&CDean
2/6/2013, 06:08 PM
Dudes are getting oldish, but they're doing it Wed night here in PHX. Thinking srsly about going...

Well you did go see Ambrosia and Air Supply so why the hell not?

StoopTroup
2/6/2013, 06:12 PM
You only live once. If they flitter yer twitter you should put on yer favorite Pete Townson T-shirt and go.

cleller
2/6/2013, 07:24 PM
Yep, Quadrophenia is my favorite period of The Who. I recently read the Wiki description of what Quadrophenia was all about, at least in Townsend's head. Definitely four unique personalities in the band.

Also like Who Are You pretty well. This vid has always been a favorite. Keith Moon actually looks happy and pretty steady in it. Moon is being himself at 2:25

PdLIerfXuZ4

C&CDean
2/6/2013, 07:56 PM
For the record, The Who had one of the best bassists in the history of R&R. Hells no, in the history of history. Check out "THE REAL ME" for proof.

2/7/2013, 02:00 AM
Well you did go see Ambrosia and Air Supply so why the hell not?Are those people you like? You would have to pay me a goodly amount to see either of them.

2/7/2013, 02:08 AM
However, I did go see the Who tonight. As promoted, they led off with the entire Quadrophenia album, and it truly was spectacular. Yes, including Love Reign on Me, and The Real Me. They afterwards played the faves, Pinball Wizard, Baba O'Riley, We won't get fooled again, Behind Blue Eyes, Who Are You. It was over a 2 hour performance, with the Quadrophenia part lasting about an hour and a half, and I most definitely would see them again.

However, there WAS a screaming drunk next to me, who liked to hear himself be heard, very loud and too often. I would prefer to not have that situation next time, or in ANY concert.

The Who had some great production visuals, as well as the music, and showmanship. At one time during Quadrophenia, they had videos(with accompanying audios) of both Keith Moon and John Entwhistle. The guitar solo they showed of Entwhistle was superb.

cleller
2/7/2013, 10:04 AM
For the record, The Who had one of the best bassists in the history of R&R. Hells no, in the history of history. Check out "THE REAL ME" for proof.

Yeah, if you had to pick just one, Entwistle would probably be the favorite.

Not to mention, I guy that everyone agreed was about as cool as they come.

b5iJNeROPnM

C&CDean
2/7/2013, 10:38 AM
Are those people you like? You would have to pay me a goodly amount to see either of them.

heh yanking your chain. Glad it was a good show. Was it uber-loud? I saw The Who in the early 70's, and my ears/head buzzed for 3 days. Effing loudest concert ever.

hawaii 5-0
2/7/2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the report Rush. Glad you enjoyed the music.

Sorry about the drunk distractor.

5-0

2/7/2013, 02:03 PM
heh yanking your chain. Glad it was a good show. Was it uber-loud? I saw The Who in the early 70's, and my ears/head buzzed for 3 days. Effing loudest concert ever.It was loud, but not ear-piercing. The only time I have been to a concert that was TOO loud was the only time I saw Led Zeppelin. That was in Dallas in the mid 70's, and the volume was painful to the head.

2/7/2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the report Rush. Glad you enjoyed the music.

Sorry about the drunk distractor.

5-0Thanks. I asked him to stop it after his first outburst. The second time, I told him I would move if he kept it up. Apparently didn't faze him. I prolly should have moved, but I put up with it, and still enjoyed the music enough to be satisfied about the performance.

hawaii 5-0
2/8/2013, 02:08 AM
Did they do Eminence Front?

one of my favs.

About Townshend's autobio......... He freely spills the beans about his drinking, his bisexuality and other gems.

He claims credit for inventing the Power Chord. He also freely admitted that Daltrey was the true leader of the band.

Personally I loved his explanation of the failed Lifehouse Project which devolved into Who's Next and other songs. Another personal favorite is Pure and Easy off of Who's First, his first solo album, which explains a lot of the Who's Next songs.

"There once was a note" (also refrained on The Song is Over)

5-0

2/8/2013, 02:37 AM
Did they do Eminence Front?

Townshend... freely admitted that Daltrey was the true leader of the band.

Personally I loved his explanation of the failed Lifehouse Project which devolved into Who's Next and other songs. Another personal favorite is Pure and Easy off of Who's First, his first solo album, which explains a lot of the Who's Next songs.
5-0I also like Eminence Front. But alas, they didn't perform that song. Neither did they do Pure and Easy. Songs they did from Quadrophenia that I gained a new appreciation of at their performance were "the Dirty Jobs, 5:15, and I've Had enough". I had given little attention to the Quadrophenia album in the past, but am now a lot more appreciative of it.