PDA

View Full Version : How Yall cook French frys?

olevetonahill
2/4/2013, 04:08 PM
I've always just cut em up and tossed em in the deep fryer. Been readin some about maybe only cookin em for 3 minutes or so, then take em up and Let em cool down then finish cookin em. Is That worth the trouble?

Midtowner
2/4/2013, 04:11 PM
Yes. They do that at the Paseo Grill and their fries are excellent.

Crispier.

olevetonahill
2/4/2013, 04:13 PM
Ima try it then. From what I read they just put em in the fridge , Ima have Catfish so I can cook the fish and hush puppies while the taters are cooling then finish em.

SoonerAtKU
2/4/2013, 05:25 PM
Fry once at a lower temp, let em rest, fry again at a higher temp to get crispy. You get fluffy insides and crispy outsides, which is what you want.

olevetonahill
2/4/2013, 05:28 PM
Fry once at a lower temp, let em rest, fry again at a higher temp to get crispy. You get fluffy insides and crispy outsides, which is what you want.

Dint watch the temp so close but did take em up after a few minutes and let em chill while Im cooking the other stuff.

Ill let Yall know how they turn out.

SoonerAtKU
2/4/2013, 05:29 PM
Please do, I haven't done it in forever, so I don't remember the details.

olevetonahill
2/4/2013, 06:20 PM
They came out pretty good, Not sure if its worth the effort tho. But since I was able to cook the Fish and Puppies in between not much trouble

SanJoaquinSooner
2/4/2013, 07:18 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/03/18/dining/BIT-fries/BIT-fries-blogSpan.jpg

I read about the trick of putting them in cold oil and slowly cooking them....

The trick is to put the potatoes into cold oil and slowly bring it up to frying temperature. I’ve known about this for decades: Back in the 1970s, my friend Tom Kingston told me that this was how his mother always did it. This sounded so loony that I didn’t try it until a couple of years ago. It is amazingly successful. You use (far) less oil and there is almost no odor apart from the pleasant aroma of potatoes; you don’t need any special pans or fry-baskets; you don’t have to stand over a fryer; there seems to be no danger of bubbling over or splattering; and the oil remains relatively undamaged (it never reaches the high temperatures that traditional french-fry cooking demands) and thus can be strained and reused a couple of times.

When I started doing this, I researched the technique and was reminded that Joël Robuchon wrote about it, and Jeffrey Steingarten subsequently wrote about Robuchon writing about it. So this will not be new to readers who keep up with such things — and it was certainly no innovation to Tom’s mother back in the ’50s.

Cut your peeled potatoes into whatever shape you like, but probably no skinnier than three-eighths of an inch. Rinse them and shake off the water (part of the genius of this technique is that a little residual water won’t cause splattering, so you don’t need to towel-dry the potatoes). Put them in a heavy pan — a straight-sided sauté pan is ideal, but anything not too shallow will do. They should ideally be in a single layer, but this is not always practical: aim for it, though. Add room-temperature fat just to thoroughly cover and put the pan over low heat, without a lid.

As the oil temperature slowly rises, the potatoes will, in effect, poach in fat and their excess water will gently evaporate (hence the lack of splattering). Yes, the oil will bubble, but reassuringly, not alarmingly. Every now and again, use a thin-bladed spatula or a long-handled spoon to make sure they are not sticking (their starch has a tendency to cause this) and give the pan a shake. Be very careful: at a certain point they will be very, very fragile — cooked but not yet crisp. I cannot help thinking of the nightmarish way a caterpillar liquefies in its cocoon before emerging as a butterfly.

When the potatoes are very tender, you can raise the heat, but only a little. Say, from low to medium-low. They will finally start to crisp and turn golden, and will ultimately become french fries. Excellent ones.

The one down side (apart from the limit on quantity) is that this can take as long as an hour. So, (a) plan ahead and (b) be ready to sit down and eat as soon as they’re done, drained and well salted. Whatever you’re eating with them will probably benefit from a few minutes’ rest anyway.

ouleaf
2/5/2013, 02:49 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/03/18/dining/BIT-fries/BIT-fries-blogSpan.jpg

I read about the trick of putting them in cold oil and slowly cooking them....

Never heard of this, but intriguing. I worry they would just be grease soaked, but I could be wrong if Robuchon cooks that way. That man is a potato genius. I'm just wondering what type of fat/oil they used on this cold oil frying method. Given the time to cook them, I see why it isn't more popular.

Pretty much every restaurant does the double frying method nowadays, as it gives that nice crispy exterior with a mealy interior.

olevetonahill
2/5/2013, 03:06 PM
Never heard of this, but intriguing. I worry they would just be grease soaked, but I could be wrong if Robuchon cooks that way. That man is a potato genius. I'm just wondering what type of fat/oil they used on this cold oil frying method. Given the time to cook them, I see why it isn't more popular.

Pretty much every restaurant does the double frying method nowadays, as it gives that nice crispy exterior with a mealy interior.

I dont care HOW dayum good they supposed to be I aint takin an hour to fry some taters.

sooner_born_1960
2/5/2013, 03:17 PM
Don't any of you people have wives?

Curly Bill
2/5/2013, 03:40 PM
Don't any of you people have wives?

They be busy making the sammiches!

FirstandGoal
2/5/2013, 03:53 PM
How do I cook fries?

Not.