PDA

View Full Version : Mving To Austin

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/4/2013, 01:31 PM
Moving to Austin for work. anyone know the good parts, and recommend areas to live; things to do?

yermom
2/4/2013, 01:40 PM
is not moving to Austin an option? :D

KantoSooner
2/4/2013, 02:03 PM
Which part of town is work in? The traffic there is horrendous, so you'll want to live somewhat close to work. And Austin, as in everything else, tries to pretend it's part of Cali in terms of housing prices, so you'll want to carefully select a neighborhood as far out as you can endure.

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/5/2013, 01:01 AM
well, i'm moving from Cali, so the prices wont be that much of a shock. I will be working at ABIA (airport), so i've heard that west of I-35 is good, and that SW Austin is ok as we as NW austin. i've also heard stiener ranch and round rock.

BTW..anything is better than the Bay area in cali.

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2013, 01:04 AM
If you can avoid getting on I-35 for your commute then go with that option.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/5/2013, 01:13 AM
If you can avoid getting on I-35 for your commute then go with that option.I-35 is a complete nightmare getting through Austin. I would hate to have to deal with that ****road on a daily basis.

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2013, 01:14 AM
I-35 is a complete nightmare getting through Austin. I would hate to have to deal with that ****road on a daily basis.

Yep. It's essentially a parking lot. I-35 in Waco can be bad but even Dallas isn't as bad. The benefit of I-35 in Dallas is that there are plenty of other options.

I-35 in Austin is a different monster entirely.

KantoSooner
2/5/2013, 09:59 AM
Steiner Ranch is nice, but very shiny/new/slightly phony feeling. Still, if you're moving from Cali, that might be an acceptable vibe. SW I'd go check out somewhere along Bee Cave and maybe a bit further west.

olevetonahill
2/5/2013, 10:19 AM
I'd rather starve as Live in saxet.

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/5/2013, 10:45 AM
Much rather live in Texas than California .Besides, my company doesn't operate in oklahoma, so texas is closest to home and family.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

olevetonahill
2/5/2013, 10:54 AM
Much rather live in Texas than California .Besides, my company doesn't operate in oklahoma, so texas is closest to home and family.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Where ya been in Cal
I graduated HS in 68 from San Leandro

2/5/2013, 12:18 PM
Where ya been in Cal
I graduated HS in 68 from San LeandroHel*, I thought you had a Catfishing diploma from Little River HS!

olevetonahill
2/5/2013, 12:29 PM
Hel*, I thought you had a Catfishing diploma from Little River HS!

Thats just part of my Ignernt Rube persona.

2/5/2013, 12:37 PM
Thats just part of my Ignernt Rube persona.Naw, huh uh!

olevetonahill
2/5/2013, 12:40 PM
Naw, huh uh!

:stupid:

2/5/2013, 12:46 PM
:stupid::single_eye:

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/5/2013, 11:23 PM
Where ya been in Cal
I graduated HS in 68 from San Leandro
Bay Area. San Jose. Glad to be leaving.

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2013, 11:38 PM
If you lived in California then you won't find the people in Austin much different.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/5/2013, 11:46 PM
Bay Area. San Jose. Glad to be leaving.

Do you work at the San Jose airport?

Tulsa_Fireman
2/6/2013, 09:58 AM
sHjlM5A1jME

KantoSooner
2/6/2013, 01:38 PM
Find a friend with a boat on Lake Travis. Go check out Devil's Cove when the weather gets warm. Fun scene.

olevetonahill
2/6/2013, 02:04 PM
Before I lived in saxet Id live here
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/causeway(2).jpg

2/6/2013, 02:15 PM
Tidy!

olevetonahill
2/6/2013, 03:32 PM
Tidy!

Im a Neat bum.

KantoSooner
2/6/2013, 03:49 PM
Perhaps a 'Perambulatory Gentleman', or 'Rough Sleeping Royalty'

Tulsa_Fireman
2/6/2013, 05:11 PM
Urban outdoorsman?

olevetonahill
2/6/2013, 05:35 PM
:sneakiness:

sooneron
2/7/2013, 10:03 AM
My uncle used to live in Bee Cave area. It was pretty nice. Avoid the "town" area with all the hipsters. We lived on Emily just North of campus - nice area, but I am sure these days it is astronomical. We also lived near Zilker on Rabb Rd. Another pricey locale. Probably in line with Cali. I still have a lot of family in that area...

C&CDean
2/7/2013, 10:40 AM
I go through there all the time now. They don't make enough money to make me move down there. If I had to though I'd be up in the Georgetown/Round Rock area - as long as I didn't have to commute into Austin. Worst. Traffic. Ever.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/7/2013, 11:46 AM
If the traffic is worse in Austin than that near the San Jose Airport, it's pretty bad.

I have to drive through San Jose every time I pick my son up from school in Santa Cruz. Coming back through there on a Friday afternoon is brutal.

I understand wanting to get out of San Jose. I can think of two reasons to live in the heart of Silicon Valley. Either you must live there for a job you absolutely love or you make a Silicon Valley executive-sized salary.

KantoSooner
2/7/2013, 12:01 PM
Having driven both, I'd say Austin stacks up quite well against SJ in terms of terrible traffic. With the following two caveats: Austin's jams don't last as long and there are often good work arounds (local roads) in Austin that can be accessed. Either I didn't know 'em, or they didn't exist in SJ.

And SJS, the ONLY reason to live in Silly Valley at all is to make a Silly Valley salary. And by that, I mean if you have a family, don't touch the Bay Area period for anything below $250,000 a year. With benes and a tasty bonus package. Your lifestyle will be comparable to OKC at $100 or less, with far more urban hassle and angst.

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/8/2013, 02:28 PM
Do you work at the San Jose airport?

YUP!

Curly Bill
2/8/2013, 02:36 PM
You'll want to check out 6th Street, not for living but for hanging out. Salt Lick barbecue is a must. I like to visit Austin - wouldn't wanna live there.

BigTip
2/8/2013, 05:52 PM
Austin is a great place to live. Traffic does suck though. That's why you are going to want to live in south Austin to minimize the commute and traffic fighting. 290/71/Ben White is a good highway that does a great job of getting traffic away from the airport area. Living south of that will work just fine. I drive past the airport at 8am every Wednesday on the way to golf. I never have a traffic issue. There is a boat load of people coming into town though, but you will be going the opposite way of the flow if you are working a day schedule.

boomersooner28
2/9/2013, 06:51 PM
Moved down here to Georgetown 2 years ago. Love it! Cedar Park/Leander area is very nice. Round Rock is huge. I am far enough away from Austin I don't have to deal with traffic but close enough to anything I want to do. Feel free to message me...I'll get you my contact info.
The weather here kicks the sh*t out of the Tulsa weather. I get to golf year round!

olevetonahill
2/9/2013, 06:57 PM
Guess the dayum place would be OK if ya got rid of all the texans

sooneron
2/10/2013, 05:42 PM
Good Lord, 6th St sucks, it has for years.

Curly Bill
2/10/2013, 06:24 PM

You're a cynic!

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2013, 06:33 PM

I don't know...

I've been chased by a Jewish waiter down 6th street, seen a guy literally thrown out of a bar window on 6th street, had two very attractive lesbians make out for me on 6th street, been hit by a car on 6th street, and gotten a contact high from a group of rastafarians on 6th street.

Unless you're TMIMITW, there are good times to be had on 6th street.

KantoSooner
2/11/2013, 10:52 AM
I am NOT a Rastafarian!