PDA

View Full Version : Niners give away Super Bowl

Therealsouthsider
2/3/2013, 11:38 PM
...how can you not score from the five yd line on first and goal with the other teams best run stopper out of the game and Kaepernick at the helm of a read option offense? Four downs to pick up five yds...unbelievable. Reminded me of another game in New Orleans when Oklahoma had another team physically whipped with the running game only to throw four straight incomplete passes towards the end of the game against all conventional wisdom and common sense...over coaching at its finest rears it's ugly head once again.

ss

SoonerInFortSmith
2/3/2013, 11:57 PM
I hate to say it but Crabtree was held on fourth down.

goingoneight
2/4/2013, 12:00 AM
The thing about those offenses are they can drive the length of the field, but it's often tough when the field shrinks. One of those Monday Morning QB-kinda things.

nighttrain12
2/4/2013, 12:15 AM
Oops!

http://youtu.be/lBq1g6FVc_0

Blue
2/4/2013, 12:26 AM
Nobody will care tomorrow.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/4/2013, 01:14 AM
Well, the Furnurnurnurs have too many WC's already, so no big wup.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/4/2013, 08:40 AM
Are you talking about OU/LSU in the sugar bowl?

sooneron
2/4/2013, 10:08 AM
I blame Kevin Wilson/Chuck Long.

They should have ran on first down (possibly 2nd). It was as if they wanted the ravens to have plenty of time if they had scored. The ravens were gassed and without Ngata. They were set up for some power runs up the middle.

SoonerStormchaser
2/4/2013, 10:32 AM
Yah...the refs jobbed San Fran on that last drive...should've been PI call on one play, and at least defensive holding on Crabtree on the last play.

sooneron
2/4/2013, 10:49 AM
Yah...the refs jobbed San Fran on that last drive...should've been PI call on one play, and at least defensive holding on Crabtree on the last play.

And MAJOR holding on the "punt attempt" at the end of the game. I realize there's always some holding, but that is ridonkulous-

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18dk8woqzwhnhgif/original.gif

LittleElmSooner
2/4/2013, 11:20 AM
And MAJOR holding on the "punt attempt" at the end of the game. I realize there's always some holding, but that is ridonkulous-

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18dk8woqzwhnhgif/original.gif

I was saying the same thing last night. Then I started thinking: Well, the penalty for holding in the end zone is a safety. That's what they were going for anyways. I guess on that one, there was no winning for the Niners. It was all a time suck anyways.

badger
2/4/2013, 12:30 PM
I was saying the same thing last night. Then I started thinking: Well, the penalty for holding in the end zone is a safety. That's what they were going for anyways. I guess on that one, there was no winning for the Niners. It was all a time suck anyways.

It was a very wise coaching move by John. Must be that extra 16 months of life he has over younger brother Jim

sooneron
2/4/2013, 12:46 PM

True, but the intent of the holding was to take time off the clock. It was an obvious play for the safety. I'm sure the refs cannot take the intent and penalize as such. Say, put time on the clock when the infraction was committed, but still doesn't take away from the fact that the refs just turned their heads. Two guys are blatantly being held in the GIF. One is being tackled. SF got jobbed a couple of times.

2/4/2013, 12:55 PM
True, but the intent of the holding was to take time off the clock. It was an obvious play for the safety. I'm sure the refs cannot take the intent and penalize as such. Say, put time on the clock when the infraction was committed, but still doesn't take away from the fact that the refs just turned their heads. Two guys are blatantly being held in the GIF. One is being tackled. SF got jobbed a couple of times.They don't put time back on the clock after a penalty has occurred. If there was time left after that play, they would just have run the safety play again.

If the time had run out on the safety play, I don't think the Ravens would have had to make the kick to the Furnurnurnurs. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, pls.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/4/2013, 01:03 PM
With the SF QB having only 10 NFL starts, he's just no Joe Montana or Steve Young yet. He did pretty well though, I thought.

The SF defensive backs did look like OU's as someone pointed out.

2/4/2013, 01:16 PM
the kid runs like a deer, or Ted Ginn, or an uninjured DeSean Jackson. BUT, he is vulnerable of course, as a running QB. The D will want BADLY to take him out, especially if he continues to be prone to take off running.

badger
2/4/2013, 01:46 PM
True, but the intent of the holding was to take time off the clock. It was an obvious play for the safety. I'm sure the refs cannot take the intent and penalize as such.

Perhaps instead of a 10-second runoff like they have in college, they could have a 10-second add-on as an option for a team under 2 minutes to go?

Curly Bill
2/4/2013, 02:02 PM
On that last drive San Fran got away with a blatant hold on a Raven that had a head of steam & was headed towards Kapeirnick(sp). A 49er linemen literally tackled the rushing Raven. It went uncalled and was a much bigger hold than that last play on Crabtree.

Soonerjeepman
2/4/2013, 02:14 PM
On that last drive San Fran got away with a blatant hold on a Raven that had a head of steam & was headed towards Kapeirnick(sp). A 49er linemen literally tackled the rushing Raven. It went uncalled and was a much bigger hold than that last play on Crabtree.

I could care less about the game...but THIS...I didn't see Jim H jumping up and down on that hold....

sooneron
2/4/2013, 02:25 PM
They don't put time back on the clock after a penalty has occurred. If there was time left after that play, they would just have run the safety play again.

If the time had run out on the safety play, I don't think the Ravens would have had to make the kick to the Furnurnurnurs. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, pls.

I never said that they can, just saying what badger said. IOW, duh.

jkjsooner
2/4/2013, 02:45 PM
They don't put time back on the clock after a penalty has occurred. If there was time left after that play, they would just have run the safety play again.

I'm not sure. But that brings up a question. What if every player grabbed a defensive player and drug him down to the ground and held him there. All the punter would have to do is avoid one unblocked/guy. Heck, assuming he could make one guy miss he could run for a first down. So what if there's a penalty and a safety as long as the clock runs out.

What if Baltimore had put 20 guys in there to make sure the clock expires before the safety? Buddy Ryan once intentionally put extra guys on the field because the reward was greater than the penalty.

I suppose the officials could use this as justification to put time back on the clock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palpably_unfair_act

2/4/2013, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure. But that brings up a question. What if every player grabbed a defensive player and drug him down to the ground and held him there. All the punter would have to do is avoid one unblocked/guy. Heck, assuming he could make one guy miss he could run for a first down. So what if there's a penalty and a safety as long as the clock runs out.

What if Baltimore had put 20 guys in there to make sure the clock expires before the safety? Buddy Ryan once intentionally put extra guys on the field because the reward was greater than the penalty.

I suppose the officials could use this as justification to put time back on the clock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palpably_unfair_actGood points. I guess it happens rarely enough that the league and the politicians haven't srsly considered changing the rules on the situation...yet.

FaninAma
2/4/2013, 04:06 PM

Yes. The officials were pretty much turning a blind eye to holding all night long. If the holding had been called on the safety the results would have been the same....a safety. And I don't think they penalize them any more on the ensuing free kick.

BTW, how long did OU's own Cory Callens play for the Ravens?

MyT Oklahoma
2/4/2013, 07:16 PM
If San Fran had an offense capable of scoring more than two field goals in the first half, and a special teams that didn't give up a 108 yard kickoff return for a TD, then maybe they wouldn't have had to sweat it so much at the end.

Great second half comeback but I really don't care what happens in the NFL. That is unless some former Sooner wins an award or something.

StoopTroup
2/4/2013, 08:34 PM
I think the niners got screwed out of winning but they also set themselves up for a loss by letting the ravens score so much in the first half.

It's the Super Bowl! Play like it is the Super Bowl! Their firsthalf play sucked so bad that it really doesn't justify any feeling sorry for them in the 2nd half IMO.

winout
2/4/2013, 08:48 PM
Ravens would have won in a blowout if CBS hadn't pulled the electric cord.

2/5/2013, 01:09 AM
Ravens would have won in a blowout if CBS hadn't pulled the electric cord.Are you thinking there were some shenanigans regarding the lightsout situation?

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
2/6/2013, 09:55 AM
The refs were in a no win situation on the 4th down play. In my opinion the hold in the Ohio state Miami game (the most famous PI call in history) was more blatant and the refs got killed for calling it. I think if they throw a flag they are getting just as much flack for calling it as they are for not calling it