PDA

View Full Version : Notice how OU and The 49ers run the pistol offense...

JLEW1818
2/3/2013, 03:11 PM
49ers QB is black and can run and pass.

goingoneight
2/3/2013, 04:09 PM
How black is Johnny Manziel?

Soonerjeepman
2/3/2013, 04:26 PM
he's mixed.....

lol, don't know, don't give a #$@%...

Sooners VS Pro team playing for Superbowl nice comparison JLew. Before ya bust my bballs...understand I wasn't real thrilled with the way the Sooners finished..that said, excited for next yr like usual.

Breadburner
2/3/2013, 04:28 PM
Looks Taliban to me.....

goingoneight
2/3/2013, 04:30 PM
I hope Blake Bell and Trevor Knight can be black for us. They have awful gangsta names already.

JLEW1818
2/3/2013, 04:55 PM
My point is we ran the pistol with a statue. Even STEP could run faster.

goingoneight
2/3/2013, 05:03 PM
The Pistol formation's success isn't predicated on the mobility of the QB. We switched to it due to the lack of good TE play in 2009 and added the set to OUr base offense in 2010 when the TE play was better. We used it a lot last year for the same reason we did in 2009. Bama ran it with McElroy and McCarron. OSU ran it with Weeden. QB mobility adds a different dimension only if the QB can throw the ball effectively. If he can't... well, Garrett Gilbert, Case McCoy and David Ash come to mind.

JLEW1818
2/3/2013, 05:45 PM
But how many times did Bama run under center? The answer is a lot.

Is our Oline and Rbs that garbage?

Curly Bill
2/3/2013, 06:12 PM
But how many times did Bama run under center? The answer is a lot.

Is our Oline and Rbs that garbage?

In comparison to Bama's? Yeah, pretty much.

But it's also largely a matter of philosophy: Bama thinks they're gonna beat ya running the ball, we think we're gonna beat peeps throwing the ball. For the most part we're both right, it's just that they're right more often.

StoopTroup
2/3/2013, 06:44 PM
It was our O-Line that was the problem. It was them from the start of the Season to the end of the Season. Our run game just wasn't something we could call on when we needed them. They were either there or they weren't.

StoopTroup
2/3/2013, 09:43 PM
Niners also turning the game around in the 3rd qtr while the Raven's Players are coming unglued....

goingoneight
2/3/2013, 09:47 PM
Scheme hurts OU sometimes... but more often than not it's the execution. If you can't consistently execute, it's safe to say it's the players.

goingoneight
2/4/2013, 12:06 AM
Case in point: With a bruiser like Trey Millard and the All-Time touchdown leader in DeMarco Murray, OU struggled in short-yardage situations in 2010. Both were on the field for A&M's goal line stand in 2010. Those were off-tackle plays from under center (aka, plays Bama frequently runs) and Dm got buried behind the line of scrimmage.
Then, enter 2012/2013 Cotton Bowl... Blake Bell can't get the ball into the endzone against Aggy again. The plays he was given were no different than what Kaepernick and RGIII have been successful running. One play he's flushed and has to throw the ball away, the other he's stuffed at the LOS.
Maybe play-action throw to the TE then? Oops, incomplete pass.
Much like OU's defense, OU's players on offense have to get better where it matters most.

Ruf/Nek7
2/4/2013, 09:41 AM
The main reason 9ers run the pistol is because it optimizes Kapearnick and Gore/James/Hunter in the read option. I recently watched NFL today and they broke it down really good. I don't recall seeing 49ers running it with smith.

SoonerAtKU
2/4/2013, 04:55 PM
Let's not forget that Kaepernick learned it at Nevada, where it was invented. This is the same as Mack Brown scrapping the entire Texas offense in the middle of the last decade to run what Vince Young ran in high school.

Scott D
2/4/2013, 05:19 PM
this thread is of absolute facepalm variety.

badger
2/4/2013, 05:21 PM
What sets the 49ers quarterback is not his race, but the fact that HE IS ADOPTED :P

ashley
2/6/2013, 07:56 AM
Let's not forget that Kaepernick learned it at Nevada, where it was invented. This is the same as Mack Brown scrapping the entire Texas offense in the middle of the last decade to run what Vince Young ran in high school.

Vince Young ran the split back Houston veer in high school.

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 11:16 AM
And you don't see any similarities in the zone read game they implemented at Texas?

OkieThunderLion
2/6/2013, 01:11 PM
The PISTOL was not designed for the option or running QBs, in specific.

It was designed to combine elements of shotgun passing and downhill running. Which fits what OU has been trying to do offensively. They can run all of their base plays (inside zone, outside zone, g power) out of it.

Curly Bill
2/6/2013, 02:02 PM
And you don't see any similarities in the zone read game they implemented at Texas?

There are similarities in that both are option style offenses, so he would have practice at reading the defense - knowing when to give and when to pull the ball etc, but split-back veer and zone read are definitely not the same offense.

thecrimsoncrusader
2/6/2013, 03:52 PM
How black is Johnny Manziel?

He's a black dude with white skin.

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 03:56 PM
Greg Davis didn't believe in using 2 backs. Either that, or Mack didn't. Doesn't matter, because they had better WRs than RBs for the most part during 2005. All they did was exchange that second run option for a TE/WR. The rest was functionally the same for him, and he was excellent at it.

His first year and up until the OU game in 2004, he was being asked to run the Texas pro-style West Coast derived offense, and he was dreadful at it. Too many reads and checks with timing, etc. They go to the zone read, remove a defender, and open up the side of the field for him to run/throw and there you go.

The point I was making is that, like Kaepernick, the coaches knew he could execute an offense that is fundamentally similar to what he'd done before, and they installed it.

Curly Bill
2/6/2013, 03:59 PM
Greg Davis didn't believe in using 2 backs. Either that, or Mack didn't. Doesn't matter, because they had better WRs than RBs for the most part during 2005. All they did was exchange that second run option for a TE/WR. The rest was functionally the same for him, and he was excellent at it.

His first year and up until the OU game in 2004, he was being asked to run the Texas pro-style West Coast derived offense, and he was dreadful at it. Too many reads and checks with timing, etc. They go to the zone read, remove a defender, and open up the side of the field for him to run/throw and there you go.

The point I was making is that, like Kaepernick, the coaches knew he could execute an offense that is fundamentally similar to what he'd done before, and they installed it.

Ole Vince wasn't a brainac, but he could figure out if the defender is in a position to tackle me I give the ball, if the defender is not in a position to tackle me I keep the ball and run.

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 04:01 PM
Oh, and just to check, I found a highlight reel on youtube of Vince in High School. With the exception of another RB in to block his blind side when passing, you could put him in burnt orange and it would look exactly like 2005. It's all read-option keepers or play-action passes off that read-option.

Curly Bill
2/6/2013, 04:06 PM
Oh, and just to check, I found a highlight reel on youtube of Vince in High School. With the exception of another RB in to block his blind side when passing, you could put him in burnt orange and it would look exactly like 2005. It's all read-option keepers or play-action passes off that read-option.

Was it? I took Ashleys word for it that he ran split-back veer in HS. Of course not since Return of the Titans has much of anyone run split-back veer! LOL

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 04:09 PM
Ole Vince wasn't a brainac, but he could figure out if the defender is in a position to tackle me I give the ball, if the defender is not in a position to tackle me I keep the ball and run.

You said it. 6 on the Wonderlic isn't everything, but it's a nice way to measure effort in learning.

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 04:12 PM
Was it? I took Ashleys word for it that he ran split-back veer in HS. Of course not since Return of the Titans has much of anyone run split-back veer! LOL

Oh there were two backs in a fair amount of time, but in the plays I saw, the second back wasn't really an option once the first read was made. Now, you could put this down to it being a Vince Young highlight reel, but to me it didn't look as if he were even pretending to pitch.

Scott D
2/6/2013, 04:14 PM

Except Nevada was using the Pistol before Kaepernick stepped on campus, and the offensive scheme itself had been around for the better part of a decade.

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 04:25 PM
No, I'm saying the 49ers adopted the offense because of Kaepernick, not Nevada. I know Chris Ault basically developed that and had been running it for quite some time.

Kaepernick:Nevada::Vince:High School

Scott D
2/6/2013, 04:26 PM
No, I'm saying the 49ers adopted the offense because of Kaepernick, not Nevada. I know Chris Ault basically developed that and had been running it for quite some time.

True enough in regards to the 49ers. The origin of it is up for argument though, some say it was developed in a lower division of football, and Ault caught onto it, other like the story of Ault coming up with it and being told he was crazy by his assistants. I tend to lean toward the former, and consider the latter to be somewhat myth.

Curly Bill
2/6/2013, 04:28 PM
True enough in regards to the 49ers. The origin of it is up for argument though, some say it was developed in a lower division of football, and Ault caught onto it, other like the story of Ault coming up with it and being told he was crazy by his assistants. I tend to lean toward the former, and consider the latter to be somewhat myth.

Kinda like the DDM offense for basketball that Calipari borrowed from some JUCO coach in California or somewhere.

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 04:39 PM

I liken it to the old days of comedy. The person who owns the joke is the one who does it on TV first.

JLEW1818
2/7/2013, 01:16 PM
don't run the pistol unless you have a QB that can somewhat run.

budbarrybob
2/7/2013, 01:28 PM
We won't be able to run the Pistol without background checks, but the shotgun won't be a problem. :victorious:

OkieThunderLion
2/7/2013, 01:34 PM
don't run the pistol unless you have a QB that can somewhat run.
Makes no difference. Pistol has to do with RB, not QB.

Other than the obvious, that (in a perfect world) every offense would have a QB with 4.4 speed and a cannon arm.

C&CDean
2/7/2013, 02:35 PM
The likker down around Houston must be a lot stronger than up this way.

Scott D
2/7/2013, 05:26 PM
nah Jlew just fancies himself a Jim Rome or something.