PDA

View Full Version : 15-year old girl in Iceland granted right to use given first name

TitoMorelli
2/2/2013, 02:39 PM
I had no idea that some western countries attempt to restrict the types of names that parents can give children.

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP) — A 15-year-old Icelandic girl has been granted the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother, despite the opposition of authorities and Iceland's strict law on names.

Reykjavik District Court ruled Thursday that the name "Blaer" can be used. It means "light breeze."

The decision overturns an earlier rejection by Icelandic authorities who declared it was not a proper feminine name. Until now, Blaer Bjarkardottir had been identified simply as "Girl" in communications with officials.

"I'm very happy," she said after the ruling. "I'm glad this is over. Now I expect I'll have to get new identity papers. Finally I'll have the name Blaer in my passport."

Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. Names are supposed to fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules — choices like Carolina and Christa are not allowed because the letter "c'' is not part of Iceland's alphabet.

Blaer's mother, Bjork Eidsdottir, had fought for the right for the name to be recognized. The court ruling means that other girls will be also allowed to use the name in Iceland.

In an interview earlier this year, Eidsdottir said she did not know the name "Blaer" was not on the list of accepted female names when she gave it to her daughter. The name was rejected because the panel viewed it as a masculine name that was inappropriate for a girl.

The court found that based on testimony and other evidence, that the name could be used by both males and females and that Blaer had a right to her own name under Iceland's constitution and Europe's human rights conventions. It rejected the government's argument that her request should be denied to protect the Icelandic language.

Blaer had told the court she was very happy with her name and only had problems with it when she was dealing with state authorities who rejected it.

The court did not grant her any damages. The government has not indicated whether it will appeal the decision to the Supreme Court.

Apparently Sweden, Denmark, Germany, and others also place legal restrictions on names.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/03/mf.baby.naming.laws/index.html

And oh yeah, in keeping with the unofficial forum guidelines, the girl from Iceland is a cute kid, and her mom has real M!LF potential:

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/qyJxmaUMzcJkEBM51hWn7g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTUwMDtjcj0xO2N3PTIxMDA7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQ1MDtxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/dbfb7d56c0682b03280f6a706700a6ee.jpg

SoonerStormchaser
2/2/2013, 02:51 PM
Wow...there actually is a halfway-hawt Bjork in this world!

cleller
2/2/2013, 03:40 PM
I think I might actually support that kind of oversight here.

diverdog
2/2/2013, 05:02 PM
Wow...there actually is a halfway-hawt Bjork in this world!

The few times I was in Iceland in the service I though they had a lot of pretty women.

stoopified
2/9/2013, 09:40 AM
There are a lot of odd names out there.Aomong the ones I have encountered are the Box sisters(Sandy,Toy)I went to junior high with a guy named Sahib Quiet Man Henderson,.also Stokely Mountford Wilson. I used to work with a guy named Maynard,actually he was Maynard ,jr. L guess Juniors father tdecided to get even by passing the name on to his son.My favorite? The jello boys;Lemonjello and Orangejello.

yermom
2/9/2013, 09:51 AM
unless you actually met the jello boys, i have to think that one is an urban legend. i've heard it a million times, but it's always someone who knows someone

stoopified
2/9/2013, 09:59 AM
I believe you mean the Jones boys. Lemonjello and Orangello Jones... and Yes,I did,briefly.

yermom
2/9/2013, 11:58 AM
You called them the jello boys...

olevetonahill
2/9/2013, 12:04 PM
Am I the only one who finds it quite humorous that a Place called "REYKJAVIK, Iceland"
Wanted to restrict someones Name?

Soonerjeepman
2/9/2013, 12:12 PM
mom is a ****..no doubt.

I ought to list all of my kids' names...

Prince Romello, Precious Princess, Mercedes, Porche, Mister, Sunami, these are all first names just to name a few.

If ya haven't seen this video...it's hilarious..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw