PDA

View Full Version : Old Dyke in a Bunker

StoopTroup
2/1/2013, 01:31 PM
Prayers to the Families and Friends of the School Bus Driver who was murdered by Jimmy Dykes who also kidnapped a 5 year old boy before holding up in a Tornado Shelter/Bunker. Can't imagine what the Parents of the Boy who isn't related to Dykes are going through.

Hopefully Dyles will give up soon.

In this town of 2,300 in the heart of peanut country, people drew on all of those as they endured what by Thursday night had stretched into an unimaginable situation.

A relative newcomer to town — a man who had fought in Vietnam and appeared to harbor a deep distrust of government and a grudge against every neighbor — shot and killed a bus driver on Tuesday, grabbed a 5-year-old boy named Ethan and then disappeared with the boy into a well-equipped bunker he had spent several months digging in his yard.

By all accounts, the man that neighbors and a sheriff’s office official identified as Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, had no connection to the boy.

“As far as we know, there is no relation at all,” said Michael Senn, a pastor at the Midway Assembly of God Church, who comforted some of the children who escaped from the bus and ran to his church. “He just wanted a child for a hostage situation.” Like so many clerics in this Bible-reading community, Mr. Senn has been leading prayer services as the hours have stretched into days.

By late Thursday, no end was in sight. The F.B.I. stayed in contact with Mr. Dykes by day and let him sleep at night, said Police Chief James Arrington of Pinckard, a nearby city.

“They’re taking time and trying to wear him out,” he said. “He may do harm if they try to rush him. We don’t know how much ammunition or bombs he has.”

Mr. Dykes, neighbors said, has been known to stay in his bunker for up to eight days. Some said they watched him build it, carrying cinder blocks and digging for hours.

No one is sure exactly why he took the boy. “He don’t care too much for the government,” Chief Arrington said. “That’s all we know.”

Watching some of the coverage of this and many of the folks in the Town are near vigilante emotions.

KantoSooner
2/1/2013, 01:55 PM
Run by me again how you can beat a neighbor's dog to death with a pipe and open fire on another neighbor's truck and not attract a rythmic truncheoning-and-drag-off-to-jail from the local constabulary.

yermom
2/1/2013, 02:04 PM
Run by me again how you can beat a neighbor's dog to death with a pipe and open fire on another neighbor's truck and not attract a rythmic truncheoning-and-drag-off-to-jail from the local constabulary.

this seems like a valid question

Midtowner
2/1/2013, 02:06 PM

Alabama.

Soonerjeepman
2/1/2013, 02:09 PM

'bama....enough said

StoopTroup
2/1/2013, 02:11 PM
Heh. So it's just all due to the way folks are there?

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 02:16 PM
You're still trying too hard.