PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

normanx
1/31/2013, 10:35 PM
Prolly a well covered topic.. But if not, who has served and what was your experience like?

Wishboned
1/31/2013, 11:30 PM
Served on a jury on a trial of a man accused of molesting his step granddaughter. The little girl testified. I'm wanting to say she was 8 at the time she testified. That was rough to watch. The answers she gave to some of the questions the defense attorney asked her were what convinced me.

We found him guilty, and I have no doubts that he was guilty. After it was over the judge came into the jury room and told us he would have found him guilty as well with the evidence that was produced. And the prosecuting attorney told us that the man confessed to his wife, the girl's grandmother, that he did it, but she couldn't be compelled to testify.

There were a large number of family members in attendance, and when the verdict was read several starting crying. And all I could think of at that moment was that no matter what verdict we came up with that family was shattered. He was in his late 50's and the sentence was probably going to be for the remainder of his life. It was a heavy responsibility, but one I took very seriously. The experience weighed heavy on my mind for a while after that, but despite that I would be ready to serve on a jury again.

olevetonahill
1/31/2013, 11:57 PM
in my 62 + years i've never been called.

Wishboned
2/1/2013, 12:06 AM
in my 62 + years i've never been called.

I've been called 3 times, but only served once.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 12:13 AM

I dont understand their methods I reckon, I own property, I have a DL, Im a registered Voter

I aint complanin mind you, But just dont understand

Wishboned
2/1/2013, 12:14 AM
I dont understand their methods I reckon, I own property, I have a DL, Im a registered Voter

I aint complanin mind you, But just dont understand

I think it should be like a duty roster. Everyone gets called once before they start the list again.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 12:18 AM
I think it should be like a duty roster. Everyone gets called once before they start the list again.

Anyone Know how they REALLY pick em to be called?
I was up to the Court house in the Tax office and there was an Old man that had been called I think 3 times in the last 2 years er so.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/1/2013, 12:34 AM
I've been called several times, but served on only one. It was a drunk driving charge. The guy refused to take any test, which is automatic loss of license. We found him guilty. I was selected foreman, so I got to announce the verdict.

It was a good experience -- the only thing troubling was the poor reasoning skills of several people in the jury.

picasso
2/1/2013, 01:28 AM
I was called in Osage County. It's humiliating if you have to sit before the entire lot and answer questions relative to the trial you're on.
Mine dealt with a guy that I luckily knew (got me out of the gig/ who had beaten his gf with the butt of a rifle.
I got to answer questions about getting my teeth kicked in once in a bar fight. Good times.

StoopTroup
2/1/2013, 03:48 AM
Was called for Tulsa County a few times. The last time I made the jury with all the extras. They interviewed a few of us and I was dismissed by the Defenses Lawyer I think. It was a lawsuit over an auto accident. I don't think they liked my answer about how I think people should be responsible for making sure they properly maintenance their vehicle....up to even doing a walk around like a pilot would do before deciding to proceed.

sappstuf
2/1/2013, 04:01 AM
I was a member of a Special Courts Martial a couple of weeks ago. There were 5 of us on the jury.

Found a guy guilty of aggravated sexual contact. 7 months in the slammer, reduction of rank to E-1, will be kicked out, but we didn't give him a BCD. Sex offender for life though...

StoopTroup
2/1/2013, 04:08 AM
Heard on the news that the military will be cracking down on sex offenses now. I'm not sure if it's as bad as the news stated but I'm all for cracking down on the Women if they are viciously attacking Men. :wink:

rock on sooner
2/1/2013, 07:13 AM
Been called three times, once in CO and twice here in IA. Never served, though,
the jury pool was so big that they never got to mine number. Have always wanted
to sit on a jury, though.

Midtowner
2/1/2013, 08:54 AM
I'm exempt, except from federal service.

Turd_Ferguson
2/1/2013, 09:18 AM

That's cause you're "special".

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 09:33 AM

Wonder if I am cause i used to be a cop?
I know when i was On the force I was exempt.

Midtowner
2/1/2013, 09:38 AM
Wonder if I am cause i used to be a cop?
I know when i was On the force I was exempt.

Not exempt from being called, but no defense attorney in his right mind would put an ex cop on a jury. You might be fine for a civil case though.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 09:43 AM
Not exempt from being called, but no defense attorney in his right mind would put an ex cop on a jury. You might be fine for a civil case though.

Even if Im an ignernt Rube?

How do they decide who to call in for jury duty here in OK?
Like Ive said I never been called

Spray
2/1/2013, 10:29 AM
It was a good experience -- the only thing troubling was the poor reasoning skills of several people in the jury.

So kind of like "ObamaFest Live"?

texaspokieokie
2/1/2013, 10:58 AM
I've been called several times. Was on a murder trial in Dallas & a small civil suit in Irving. Almost got on a big civil suit in Dallas,but didn't. Just jury selection took 3 or 4 days. Trial lasted several weeks; sure glad to miss that one.

No more, i'm too old.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 01:56 PM
Yup. Been called 3-4 times, served twice. I wanted like hell to serve on this guy's trial, but was disqualified by the defense when he asked me "do you have kids? What would you do if one of your kids was molested?"

http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=382140&offender_book_id=198413

Served on one where some white trash whore was trying to get a bunch of $$ from Noble Public Schools. Was glad to find the school not liable.

Midtowner
2/1/2013, 02:05 PM

That might actually make you more qualified. Attorneys in general steer away from folks with a lot of formal education or who appear to be strong leaders or folks with very strongly held opinions.

I believe from DMV records.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 02:07 PM
I think it's DMV records. And I got called twice in about 8 months when I lived in Norman. I had always heard you had to wait a year between and the lady told me "nope, it's random by driver's license."

MsProudSooner
2/1/2013, 02:25 PM

Well, people are entitled to be judged by a jury of their peers,right? ;)

I've never been called, either.

MsProudSooner
2/1/2013, 02:28 PM
Yup. Been called 3-4 times, served twice. I wanted like hell to serve on this guy's trial, but was disqualified by the defense when he asked me "do you have kids? What would you do if one of your kids was molested?"

http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=382140&offender_book_id=198413

What kind of juror were they looking for? Brain-dead w/ no kids?

normanx
2/1/2013, 02:33 PM
I just got back from serving. My name was the first name drawn out of the hopper. Ended the suspense quick! Btw, we were told by the county clerk that they drawn a large group of names from the OK state tax commission. Anyway, convicted a guy for pos of crack cocaine, DUI, TOC. Sentenced to 21.5 years total. He had 3 previous felonies.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 02:37 PM
Well, people are entitled to be judged by a jury of their peers,right? ;)

I've never been called, either.

Ya aint never been called Ignernt NOR a rube? Yer a lucky wimmens

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 03:07 PM
What kind of juror were they looking for? Brain-dead w/ no kids?

Bleeding heart liberal types.

My answer was something like "well if I know who did it that person would not be breathing much longer." He goes "ok, thank you."

MsProudSooner
2/1/2013, 03:13 PM
Bleeding heart liberal types.

My answer was something like "well if I know who did it that person would not be breathing much longer." He goes "ok, thank you."

I can't see any parent being 'impartial' in that kind of trial.

MsProudSooner
2/1/2013, 03:13 PM
Ya aint never been called Ignernt NOR a rube? Yer a lucky wimmens

I've probably been called both - just never called for a jury.

tator
2/1/2013, 03:19 PM
1 time, meth lab. He was guilty. I didn't tell either prosecution or defense that I would murder someone.

I was probably 22 at the time, and the most disappointing thing about jury duty was the realization that my peers are ****ing idiots.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 03:21 PM
I've probably been called both - just never called for a jury.

Heh

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 03:24 PM
I can't see any parent being 'impartial' in that kind of trial.

Me either. Then again, some folks prefer dogs over kids.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 03:26 PM

Hell Dean, He prolly thinks You an I orta be sent up fer life for all the Dogs we've had to put down.

SoonerStormchaser
2/1/2013, 06:28 PM
10 years ago, i was the foreman of a jury for a frivolous lawsuit. It took us 5 minutes to vote against the plaintiff...12-0.

...we spent the next 25 minutes making fun of her, then we went back into the courtroom to deliver our verdict.

MsProudSooner
2/1/2013, 06:32 PM

You wouldn't want me on a Cruelty to Animals case, either. Next to abusing kids, that the most cowardly crime I can think of.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 07:05 PM
10 years ago, i was the foreman of a jury for a frivolous lawsuit. It took us 5 minutes to vote against the plaintiff...12-0.

...we spent the next 25 minutes making fun of her, then we went back into the courtroom to deliver our verdict.

Ima Call Bull Shat on this Bro
10 years ago you wernt OLD enough to be on a Jury :wink:

8timechamps
2/1/2013, 07:50 PM

Me too. Although, one of the times I was called (and didn't end up serving), it was because the defense accepted a plea deal just before the trial was supposed to start (literally, the day before).

Once I was called and excused.

The third time was the charm. A guy was fighting a DUI, and it went to jury trial. The best part was that he represented himself (he was an unemployed music producer). Needless to say, the trial was very brief and he lost badly.

C&CDean
2/2/2013, 08:50 AM
You wouldn't want me on a Cruelty to Animals case, either. Next to abusing kids, that the most cowardly crime I can think of.

You and me both. I've seen enough "cruelty" since I bought the ranch to last a lifetime.

My answer if the attorney asked me about abusing animals would pretty much be the same. Only dude would still be breathing, just through a straw. I'm seriously glad I've never caught any of the POS who dump dogs and cats out by my place. I'd probably be in jail. My blood boils when I first see the poor things. I settle down some - then get seriously jacked up when I have to put them down. It ain't fair that these asswipes dump their guilt on the road along with the animal, and someone like me has to deal with it.

olevetonahill
2/2/2013, 08:53 AM
You and me both. I've seen enough "cruelty" since I bought the ranch to last a lifetime.

My answer if the attorney asked me about abusing animals would pretty much be the same. Only dude would still be breathing, just through a straw. I'm seriously glad I've never caught any of the POS who dump dogs and cats out by my place. I'd probably be in jail. My blood boils when I first see the poor things. I settle down some - then get seriously jacked up when I have to put them down. It ain't fair that these asswipes dump their guilt on the road along with the animal, and someone like me has to deal with it.

Yup, The day I brought Knothead Home from startin his treatment the Vet told me to keep him quiet. What do I find? 5 Pups some asswipe dumped out here, Cute as hell but I had neither the time Or money right then to deal with em
I took em to the Pound .

picasso
2/2/2013, 12:35 PM
That might actually make you more qualified. Attorneys in general steer away from folks with a lot of formal education or who appear to be strong leaders or folks with very strongly held opinions.

I believe from DMV records.
That makes sense. I always joked that it was a badge of honor to get called. heh

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2013, 02:33 PM
Just served myself last week. And the lady in Tulsa County said the same thing, DMV records is what they pull the random draw from.