PDA

View Full Version : Garrido Documentary....

hvhurricane
1/31/2013, 09:45 PM
I was on a long flight and couldn't find anything else to rent so I thought I would give it a chance. I have never been a huge Auggie fan, mainly because he owns us, and more importantly owns SG, but you can't overlook his record. The documentary was very well done. It focused a little too much on his childhood, but his biography is very interesting. He definitely knew what he wanted to do from an early age. His ability to motivate players is second to none, especially for someone in their late 60's. I loved the fact they didn't keep out all of the foul language. It reminded me of the many coaches I played for over the years. One of the best quotes from AD was about adjusting your system to the types of players you have on the team. It is amazing to me how many coaches are too stubborn and try to make their players fit their system even if they don't have that type of talent. I was curious to see if they were going to cover his first few years at UT when they weren't very good, but they did cover it. AG admitted the negativity from the alumni and media really got to him. He was very close to getting fired at UT before he started to turn it around in his fourth year. His ability to motivate the players really reminded me of Bill Self. Bill is a lot more heated in practice, probably has to do with the difference in games, but their attention to detail was very similar as well. Overall, I thought it was a very good watch, which is very hard for me to say because I can't stand UT baseball.