PDA

View Full Version : tucson ****** *******s

jk the sooner fan
1/31/2013, 01:04 PM
i will be there most of next week for work -

restaurant recommendations?

jk the sooner fan
1/31/2013, 01:05 PM
really? k n o w e r a b o u t e r's is filtered?

really?

olevetonahill
1/31/2013, 01:14 PM
really? k n o w e r a b o u t e r's is filtered?

really?

Yea it piszed off an Admin a few years back

Dean should be able to help you with Tucson

JohnnyMack
1/31/2013, 01:34 PM
Wasn't Dean hatched in Tucson back when the earth was still cooling? Or some **** like that?

C&CDean
1/31/2013, 07:18 PM
Anything you wanna know about Toostoned, Arizona I can help you with. Course some of my knowledge is dated, but I can steer you to some Mexican food the likes of which we don't get out here. Sonoran style cooking. Seriously powerful margaritas too.

Let me know what part of town you're staying in and I can give you some recommendations. No matter what, eat some carne seca, green corn tamales, and always order a cheese crisp with chiles before your meal. They don't do that fakey plastic cheese whiz like tex-mex places so don't be expecting that. A lot of them have never heard of pico de gallo/guyo/however you spell it. You'll get chips and salsa and most of the time it's ho hum - although the salsas can be hotter than hell. I can also recommend a couple steak houses and bars, things to do/see, etc.

jk the sooner fan
1/31/2013, 09:30 PM
i think we're staying near the university - on East Broadway at the Hilton East

C&CDean
1/31/2013, 09:38 PM
i think we're staying near the university - on East Broadway at the Hilton East

A. That's nowhere near the "university." Every bit of 10+ miles away.

B. You're in a really strange part of town - where I grew up. I shot my first javelina within 100 yards of where your hotel is. In 1968. Now? 20+ miles within the city limits. Wow.

Back then, it was the hicks. Hilton East is still probably 10 miles from where the university is. Peem me or text me Jon. I'll steer you in the right direction.

picasso
2/1/2013, 01:26 AM
Get out and visit some art galleries. Some of the most prominent members of the Cowboy Artists of America are based in Tucson.

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2013, 09:53 AM
i doubt the art galleries will be open once i'm done working for the day

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 11:28 AM
Tucson is an awesome town.....to drive through on I-10 without stopping.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 12:20 PM

Says someone who lives in the cesspool known as Phoenix?

Turd_Ferguson
2/1/2013, 12:34 PM
Casa Grande is where it's at...just say'n.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 12:38 PM
Heh, I was Born in AZ. and dont know very much at all about that place . Oh well

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 12:42 PM
Says someone who lives in the cesspool known as Phoenix?

I only work in Phoenix. ;)

I live in the Edmond equivalent suburb of Gilbert. I would live up in the mountains if I could figure out how to earn a living up there.

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 12:46 PM
Casa Grande is where it's at...just say'n.

Meth? Yeah, probably right.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 01:01 PM
Casa Grande is a ****hole. If it wasn't for the SF Giants the town wouldn't exist.

Also, Scottsdale would be the equivalent of Edmond. Gilbert is more like Moore...

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 01:02 PM
Or Spencer...

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 01:08 PM
OKC doesn't have a Scottsdale.

Gilbert=Edmond
Chandler=Moore
Tempe=Norman
Mesa=MWC/Del City
Paradise Valley=Nichols Hills
Peoria/Glendale=all crime ridden parts of OKC

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 01:19 PM
OKC doesn't have a Scottsdale.

Gilbert=Edmond
Chandler=Moore
Tempe=Norman
Mesa=MWC/Del City
Paradise Valley=Nichols Hills
Peoria/Glendale=all crime ridden parts of OKC

Pretty dang spot on.

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2013, 02:00 PM
where's a good taco bueno in that town?

yermom
2/1/2013, 02:01 PM

that's about my experience with Tucson. after the detour through El Paso due to snow closing I-40, i was never really in a mood to explore Tucson on my way to the Phoenix area the couple of times i passed through there

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/1/2013, 02:03 PM
Anything you wanna know about Toostoned, Arizona I can help you with. Course some of my knowledge is dated, but I can steer you to some Mexican food the likes of which we don't get out here. Sonoran style cooking. Seriously powerful margaritas too.

Let me know what part of town you're staying in and I can give you some recommendations. No matter what, eat some carne seca, green corn tamales, and always order a cheese crisp with chiles before your meal. They don't do that fakey plastic cheese whiz like tex-mex places so don't be expecting that. A lot of them have never heard of pico de gallo/guyo/however you spell it. You'll get chips and salsa and most of the time it's ho hum - although the salsas can be hotter than hell. I can also recommend a couple steak houses and bars, things to do/see, etc.I ate at a good, and highly acclaimed Messcan restaurant on the south side way back when. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name. I really recommend going to Sabino Canyon for at least 1/2 day. It's beautiful up there, and is a great IMO attraction in the Tucson area. If you like old style Western towns, see Old Tucson.

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 02:04 PM
where's a good taco bueno in that town?

Man, I would personally kill every snail darter on the planet if we could get Buenos out here.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 02:13 PM
Man, I would personally kill every snail darter on the planet if we could get Buenos out here.

Dude, really? When I lived out there (all my life besides Army and the past 20-something years) I never ate at any Mexican fast food except a couple little places that weren't chains. I'd never eat a Taco Hell/Bueno/Mayo again if I still lived out there. Great Mexican on every corner. Why eat the bueno ****?

2/1/2013, 02:21 PM
Dude, really? When I lived out there (all my life besides Army and the past 20-something years) I never ate at any Mexican fast food except a couple little places that weren't chains. I'd never eat a Taco Hell/Bueno/Mayo again if I still lived out there. Great Mexican on every corner. Why eat the bueno ****?Just me, but the messcan food in tx, esp San Antonio, is more to my taste than that in PHX, at least overall. I don't remember anything fantastic(food-wise) from the year or so I lived in Tucson.('90 & '91)

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 02:24 PM
Dude, really? When I lived out there (all my life besides Army and the past 20-something years) I never ate at any Mexican fast food except a couple little places that weren't chains. I'd never eat a Taco Hell/Bueno/Mayo again if I still lived out there. Great Mexican on every corner. Why eat the bueno ****?

Honestly, nostalgia mostly. My dad used to take me there a lot growing up. Plus the mystery of not being able to get it. I know you hate it, but I think it's way better than Taco Bell, Del Taco, etc. I don't really rate it as Mexican food, it's fast food.

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 02:26 PM
Just me, but the messcan food in tx, esp San Antonio, is more to my taste than that in PHX, at least overall. I don't remember anything fantastic(food-wise) from the year or so I lived in Tucson.('90 & '91)

Have you been to Si Seņor in Chandler? It's been our favorite for a few years now. Family owned, I think the only other one is in Las Cruces.

yermom
2/1/2013, 02:29 PM
i dig the more southwestern Mexican food over the more Tex-Mex kinda stuff we have here

and what the heck is a "cheese crisp"?

Howzit
2/1/2013, 02:30 PM

I live in the Edmond equivalent suburb of Gilbert. I would live up in the mountains if I could figure out how to earn a living up there.

i thought you moved back to OK. No?

Ive been in Peoria/PHX All week.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 02:34 PM
i dig the more southwestern Mexican food over the more Tex-Mex kinda stuff we have here

and what the heck is a "cheese crisp"?

You can make one at the house...but the tortillas available here suck. Alls it is is a flour tortilla (the ones out there are much bigger/thinner than the gorditas around tex-mex places) covered with grated cheese (asadero/cheddar mix is the best) with some green chile strips. Just bake until the edges of the tortilla crisp up. You can also put meat and other crap on it if you want. Simple as hell and damn good.

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 02:35 PM
i thought you moved back to OK. No?

Ive been in Peoria/PHX All week.

I did for 9 months, been back here for 3 years now you inconsiderate, inattentive bastard.

:)

2/1/2013, 02:37 PM
Have you been to Si Seņor in Chandler? It's been our favorite for a few years now. Family owned, I think the only other one is in Las Cruces.No, but thanks. I don't get out to Chandler much anymore, but I will try to go there if i'm out that way. In So Phoenix, not far from So Mountain, is a celebrated mscan restaurant, but dang, I don't remember its name, either. Valle Luna is a small, family owned local chain that is very good. The one I've been to in on No. Cave Creek is better at night than for lunch. I had a shrimp dish there that was superb.

12801 N Cave Creek Rd
Phoenix
(602) 971-3680

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 02:41 PM
No, but thanks. I don't get out to Chandler much anymore, but I will try to go there if i'm out that way. In So Phoenix, not far from So Mountain, is a celebrated mscan restaurant, but dang, I don't remember its name, either. Valle Luna is a small, family owned local chain that is very good. The one I've been to in on No. Cave Creek is better at night than for lunch. I had a shrimp dish there that was superb.

12801 N Cave Creek Rd
Phoenix
(602) 971-3680

Valle Luna is ok, there's one in Chandler. Si Seņor is at Alma School and Galveston (halfway between Chandler Blvd & Ray). Only a mile or so off the 202, easy to get to.

2/1/2013, 02:46 PM
Valle Luna is ok, there's one in Chandler. Si Seņor is at Alma School and Galveston (halfway between Chandler Blvd & Ray). Only a mile or so off the 202, easy to get to.THANKS! Looks like there are several highly rated mscan restaurants in phx for this rating svc on google, and this is only for the Cave Creek street locations:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=mexican+restaurants+phoenix+cave+creek&oq=mexican+restaurants+phoenix+cave+creek&gs_l=hp.12..0i22.14165.19169.1.29064.11.11.0.0.0.0 .374.2317.0j6j3j2.11.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.2.hp.llE XCnbVzrg&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.cGE&fp=bc25cb2059027dd4&biw=1024&bih=605

Flagstaffsooner
2/1/2013, 02:54 PM

Dress up as a Navajo, shoplift 'whuskey' from grocery stores and pass out behind Barnes & Noble... Life is easy.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 02:56 PM
Just me, but the messcan food in tx, esp San Antonio, is more to my taste than that in PHX, at least overall. I don't remember anything fantastic(food-wise) from the year or so I lived in Tucson.('90 & '91)

You must have been raised in TX/OK? I'm guessing you order enchiladas or something like that?

There's some of the most allsome Mexican food ever in Tucson. Carne seca, white and red menudo, green corn tamales, lengua, chile verde y chile colorado, mariscos y camarones, trepas de leche. Chorizo or machaca burros for breakfast. Are you kidding me? Seriously good ****.

Ted's in Norman (and I assume the other Ted's) has a pretty decent version of chile verde, but you pretty much can't find the other stuff unless you go to a taco gut wagon - and I've NEVER found carne seca, green corn, trepas de leche, or decent menudo anywhere out here. Even the Mexicans out here go "huh?" Weird.

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2013, 02:57 PM
ok there is a small chance we'd have some free time on Wednesday - i'd like to drive to Tombstone ....worth the drive to see the "OK Corral" or waste of time?

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 03:00 PM
ok there is a small chance we'd have some free time on Wednesday - i'd like to drive to Tombstone ....worth the drive to see the "OK Corral" or waste of time?

Waste. of. Time.

However, drive right on through Tombstone and go to Bisbee. Have a beer at the Copper Queen Hotel bar. Awesome old mining town that's kinda artsy fartsy now. Pretty cool place.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 03:03 PM
The rooms at the Copper Queen are all original (same with the furniture). The bar has carvings and crap from the late 1800's and early 1900's in it. Check out the nekkid lady painting behind the bar. Very, very cool place.

Also, I mean you will drive right through Tombstone going there so you may as well hop out and get a couple pics at Boot Hill or the OK Corral.

2/1/2013, 03:05 PM
You must have been raised in TX/OK? I'm guessing you order enchiladas or something like that?

There's some of the most allsome Mexican food ever in Tucson. Carne seca, white and red menudo, green corn tamales, lengua, chile verde y chile colorado, mariscos y camarones, trepas de leche. Chorizo or machaca burros for breakfast. Are you kidding me? Seriously good ****.

Ted's in Norman (and I assume the other Ted's) has a pretty decent version of chile verde, but you pretty much can't find the other stuff unless you go to a taco gut wagon - and I've NEVER found carne seca, green corn, trepas de leche, or decent menudo anywhere out here. Even the Mexicans out here go "huh?" Weird.Menudo (tripe)triggers the gag response. I'm not big on organ meats. But, I don't like mustard and insects, either, so go figger!

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 03:08 PM
No mustard? That's damned un-american man. WTF do you put on a corny dog? If you say "ketchup" you are dead to me.

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2013, 03:10 PM
Waste. of. Time.

However, drive right on through Tombstone and go to Bisbee. Have a beer at the Copper Queen Hotel bar. Awesome old mining town that's kinda artsy fartsy now. Pretty cool place.

This. Tombstone was probably ok before the two movies in the 90's came out, total tourist trap ripoff now. Haven't been to Bisbee yet, on the list though.

Flagstaffsooner
2/1/2013, 03:16 PM
Best Mex food in AZ, La Fonda in Flagstaff.

Flagstaffsooner
2/1/2013, 03:19 PM
This. Tombstone was probably ok before the two movies in the 90's came out, total tourist trap ripoff now. Haven't been to Bisbee yet, on the list though.

And never, never go to Sedona.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 03:21 PM
And never, never go to Sedona.

Unless you fly in. Allsome airport where you fly off the edge of a cliff, and breakfast at the cafe there is pretty dang good. My brother and I used to go up there for breakfast a lot.

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 03:21 PM
Best Mex food in AZ, La Fonda in Flagstaff.

I ate at Casa Blanca in Winslow the other day and it was pretty dang good...for you yankees up in northern Arizona.

2/1/2013, 03:25 PM
No mustard? That's damned un-american man. WTF do you put on a corny dog? If you say "ketchup" you are dead to me.the deep-fried corny part of the corny dog is the condiment in itself. Kinda like dog with pancake wrapping.

You don't put mustard on your pancakes, do you?...

I don't put mustard on anything.

yermom
2/1/2013, 05:06 PM
i'm with you on the stomach lining, and various organ meats. yikes.

2/1/2013, 05:12 PM
i'm with you on the stomach lining, and various organ meats. yikes.you eat grasshoppers, scorpions, bees and beetles? I would have to be on one of those Discovery Network survival shows, and paid VERY handsomely to ingest that schist. Mustard is about a half-step above those no-no's.

KantoSooner
2/1/2013, 05:18 PM
Dean, don't know if you get to Springdale, AR at all, but on 412 (or Sunshine or whatever they call it in town), about 2/3 of the way through town, west to east (sorry, don't know the cross street) there is a place that has white and red menudo. I don't know about the rest because I never eat anything else.
It's next to a great Thai place that actually has the baby eggplants in their green curry.

My car is parked there often.

yermom
2/1/2013, 05:38 PM
you eat grasshoppers, scorpions, bees and beetles? I would have to be on one of those Discovery Network survival shows, and paid VERY handsomely to ingest that schist. Mustard is about a half-step above those no-no's.

insects kinda go without saying, but corndogs need mustard

C&CDean
2/1/2013, 05:46 PM
insects kinda go without saying, but corndogs need mustard

You are almost there grasshoppah. Wise words.

SoonerStormchaser
2/1/2013, 06:19 PM
A Tucson thread without El Guero Canello?

2/1/2013, 06:23 PM
And never, never go to Sedona.WTF you got against Tlaquepaque? Hollywood on the Oak is good as it gets. Stunning opulence, set amidst towering trees, in a natural paradise...with accoutrements.

2/1/2013, 06:25 PM
insects kinda go without saying, but corndogs need mustardHell, mustard doesn't even need mustard.

SoonerStormchaser
2/1/2013, 06:25 PM
And completely tourist-trashed...just like most of Colorado...

2/1/2013, 06:52 PM
If I was to eat insects, or menudo, i would need/could use an EFFIN-LOT of the mustard. Then, someone would have to pay me.

Turd_Ferguson
2/1/2013, 07:48 PM
Casa Grande is a ****hole.

I was waiting for that :biggrin:

2/1/2013, 10:08 PM
And completely tourist-trashed...just like most of Colorado...Tlaquepaque is a glamorous, glitzy piece of wonderment on the Oak Creek, and I guess the tourists don't bother me.

afs
2/1/2013, 10:40 PM
Lived in Tucson since June 2010 (although I'm currently in Afghanistan). The area around the Hilton sucks for local anything - it is built up commercial area. You'll need to go downtown, 4th Ave, River and Campbell intersection, South Tucson (not at night) or up into the Oracle area.

Food, my favorites:

Mi Nidito (featured on Man vs. Food - it's good, possibly over-hyped now)
Guelo Caneto for Sonoran Hot Dogs - however if you want authentic, check out the food stand in the Food City Parking lot at 22nd and Country Club - get some roasted peppers!
Any El Charro is good - think chain Mexican but with a local flare, not as authentic as Dean may like.
Any mexican joint on 22nd in between Craycroft and Wilmont (El Sur, Taco Gira)
Cafe Poca Cosa (there are two with similar names owned by sisters)
Blanco

Hamburgers:
Monkey Burger
Zinburger (Both are local Yuppie Hamburger joints, but good)
Lindy's on 4th

Sandwiches:
Baggin's
Melt
Bison Witches (yes, same owners as the one in Norman)

Breweries:
Barrio (south of downtown)
Nimbus (there's two, the brewery and the bistro - i prefer the brewery, as the new bistro owners have ruined the menu. Go for the Monkey Burn and Monkey Burn Burger if you like hot)
Borderland - downtown, excellent micro - if you can catch them when they're open

Steak:
Lil' Abner's - located in Oracle - prob 45 min from the Hilton
Bone-In Steakhouse
McMahons - if you want to pay $50+
Avoid Pinnacle Peak...

Downtown (think 30-something crowd, unique creative dining fares)
Downtown Kitchen
The Hub
Elliot's on Congress
Hotel Congress

Breakfast
Hotel Congress
Blue Willow
B-Line
The Pancake Haus
The Hungry Fox

Foreign:
Polish Kettle
Zemam's

These are what I can think of at the moment. I never eat chain in Tucson. The place has an amazingly large number of outstanding local food joints and just about anything you can think of from Bosnian to Ethiopian. Too bad I wasn't there or I could show you around.

2/2/2013, 01:01 AM
Oh yeah, Baggins sammiches. VERY good! Made with excellent, fresh ingredients, and they have great bread, too. If they're still as good as the used to be, early-mid 1990's.

SoonerStormchaser
2/2/2013, 02:48 AM
If I was to eat insects, or menudo, i would need/could use an EFFIN-LOT of the mustard. Then, someone would have to pay me.

Why do you hate Ricky Martin?

2/2/2013, 03:04 AM
Why do you hate Ricky Martin?What direction are you goin', anyway? Yeesh!

C&CDean
2/2/2013, 08:43 AM
Lived in Tucson since June 2010 (although I'm currently in Afghanistan). The area around the Hilton sucks for local anything - it is built up commercial area. You'll need to go downtown, 4th Ave, River and Campbell intersection, South Tucson (not at night) or up into the Oracle area.

Food, my favorites:

Mi Nidito (featured on Man vs. Food - it's good, possibly over-hyped now)
Guelo Caneto for Sonoran Hot Dogs - however if you want authentic, check out the food stand in the Food City Parking lot at 22nd and Country Club - get some roasted peppers!
Any El Charro is good - think chain Mexican but with a local flare, not as authentic as Dean may like.
Any mexican joint on 22nd in between Craycroft and Wilmont (El Sur, Taco Gira)
Cafe Poca Cosa (there are two with similar names owned by sisters)
Blanco

Hamburgers:
Monkey Burger
Zinburger (Both are local Yuppie Hamburger joints, but good)
Lindy's on 4th

Sandwiches:
Baggin's
Melt
Bison Witches (yes, same owners as the one in Norman)

Breweries:
Barrio (south of downtown)
Nimbus (there's two, the brewery and the bistro - i prefer the brewery, as the new bistro owners have ruined the menu. Go for the Monkey Burn and Monkey Burn Burger if you like hot)
Borderland - downtown, excellent micro - if you can catch them when they're open

Steak:
Lil' Abner's - located in Oracle - prob 45 min from the Hilton
Bone-In Steakhouse
McMahons - if you want to pay $50+
Avoid Pinnacle Peak...

Downtown (think 30-something crowd, unique creative dining fares)
Downtown Kitchen
The Hub
Elliot's on Congress
Hotel Congress

Breakfast
Hotel Congress
Blue Willow
B-Line
The Pancake Haus
The Hungry Fox

Foreign:
Polish Kettle
Zemam's

These are what I can think of at the moment. I never eat chain in Tucson. The place has an amazingly large number of outstanding local food joints and just about anything you can think of from Bosnian to Ethiopian. Too bad I wasn't there or I could show you around.

Pretty decent list. I forgot all about the Blue Willow for breakfast. Is it still a hippy place with all the granola/sprout omelettes and ****? I also forgot about Lil' Abner's. Last time I was there they cooked my medium rare steak well done. Acted all ****ty too when I sent it back. Long drive from the East side.

For breakfast you really need to try the long-time locals favorites: Gus Balon's (which is right by Davis-Monthan on 22nd), and Robert's over on Grant.

Some other great Mexican joints on S. 4th are Micha's and the Double L. For a burger try Jeff's Pub on Camino Seco (also not far from DM). For a sammich try Sam's Tavern. Now they're called "Famous Sam's" and they're all over the place and they kinda suck, but the PLT (pastrami, lettuce, tomato) with swiss is pretty damn good. They fry the pastrami semi-crispy like bacon. The original was right off the base on 29th, but they do have one now at Golf Links and Kolb.

My brother met his wife of 20-something years now at Sam's. She was a waitress there. Old memories...

8timechamps
2/2/2013, 10:08 PM
And completely tourist-trashed...just like most of Colorado...

It's only getting worse...