PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Championship to return?

Ruf/Nek7
1/31/2013, 09:20 AM
No, this does not mean expansion, not at this point at least. Bowlsby planning to seek a waiver to have a conference championship with just 10 teams. This would be awesome and I'm sure many of us would welcome it back with open arms.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/63393/big-12-championship-ready-to-return

Sabanball
1/31/2013, 10:23 AM
Doubt it will be approved, but it wouldn't bother me if it was. I've never understood why the no. 12 is so special anyway. If a conference wants to have a CG, they should be allowed to do so.

Ruf/Nek7
1/31/2013, 11:02 AM
Doubt it will be approved, but it wouldn't bother me if it was. I've never understood why the no. 12 is so special anyway. If a conference wants to have a CG, they should be allowed to do so.

Agreed, the only thing i can think of is that other conferences may throw a fit about a conference champion only having 9 other opponents when they had more competition.

tycat947
1/31/2013, 11:24 AM
I think it's a$$inine to play another conference game again! Why don't we just have 12 conference games and don't play any non-conference games? All this does is give the 2nd place team another shot to beat the real champion and potentially knock them out of any championship playoff. If we have 12 teams fine, but 10? AND we play every team in the league???

badger
1/31/2013, 11:50 AM
I've never understood why the no. 12 is so special anyway.
It was when conferences looked to expand, but now that they are bloated it isn't.

they had more competition.
Tis the arguement of the SEC every year. Our loss is more quality! Our wins are more quality... STOP LOOKING AT OUR NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULES!

Why don't we just have 12 conference games and don't play any non-conference games?
Because home games are far too lucrative to only half your games at home each season. It's why big schools pay creampuffs big amounts of money to come get outmatched.

dennis580
2/5/2013, 07:11 PM
We really, really need a conference championship. Its going to hurt us when the college football playoffs start, and all the other conferences have championship games, and we don't have one. I don't care how we get one just get one somehow.

dennis580
2/5/2013, 07:15 PM
I think it's a$$inine to play another conference game again! Why don't we just have 12 conference games and don't play any non-conference games? All this does is give the 2nd place team another shot to beat the real champion and potentially knock them out of any championship playoff. If we have 12 teams fine, but 10? AND we play every team in the league???

Because every other conference has a championship game, and when the playoffs start it is going to put the Big 12 at a disadvantage if they are comparing 2 or 3 teams with the same record, and the teams from other conferences have played a conference championship game, and the Big 12 team has not.

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 07:40 PM
We really, really need a conference championship. Its going to hurt us when the college football playoffs start, and all the other conferences have championship games, and we don't have one. I don't care how we get one just get one somehow.

I agree. At some point, the Big XII champ is going to be screwed due to lack of a CCG. As a fan, I want one, but that's because it adds another game to the calendar. As a head coach, I probably wouldn't want one.

Like it, or not, all the other major power conferences have one...which puts them at an advantage over the Big XII. Especially with the playoff coming.

SoonerorLater
2/5/2013, 07:41 PM
Having a conference championship makes no sense given our current situation. Each team plays every other team during the regular season. What more need be proven?

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 07:45 PM
Having a conference championship makes no sense given our current situation. Each team plays every other team during the regular season. What more need be proven?

It's not about proving anything, it's about getting a ranked game at the end of the season. It will be very easy for the Big XII champion to get leapfrogged by an SEC, PAC or B1G CCG winner in the standings, which will more than likely decide who gets into the playoff.

Soonerfan88
2/5/2013, 08:20 PM
I thought the playoff teams were being chosen by a committee and not BCS type rankings? I realize there are some idiots in the world, but surely those selected for the committee will be smart enough to understand playing a true round robin schedule versus divisions and won't worry about the lack of CCG.

SoonerInFortSmith
2/5/2013, 08:36 PM
I thought the playoff teams were being chosen by a committee and not BCS type rankings? I realize there are some idiots in the world, but surely those selected for the committee will be smart enough to understand playing a true round robin schedule versus divisions and won't worry about the lack of CCG.

This.

The motivation is all about money. Just one more game to rake it in. It makes no sense to play a championship game after playing a round robin. It has all the potential to "muddy the waters" with very little upside.

SoonerorLater
2/5/2013, 08:57 PM
The whole idea of a CCG just feels like a contrivance. No on-the-football-field reason for it. Just greedy SOB's trying to wring out a few more bucks.

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 09:18 PM

Supposedly it's going to be a committee, but we'll see how that goes. They have already said the BCS standings will play a large roll.

You're thinking way to reasonable. These are the same folks that have voted half of the SEC in the top ten consistantly.

TAFBSooner
2/5/2013, 09:40 PM
You're thinking way to reasonable. These are the same folks that have voted half of the SEC in the top ten consistantly.

the Worldwide Leader speaks, and all of college football bows down.

goingoneight
2/5/2013, 09:56 PM
Winner of the head-to-head matchup gets the game at home. My only rule.

SoonerInFortSmith
2/5/2013, 10:09 PM
Winner of the head-to-head matchup gets the game at home. My only rule.

No way it will move around. I give it a 95% chance that it would be a Jerryworld game.

JLEW1818
2/5/2013, 10:47 PM
Remember when the big12 had a championship game and the Pac10 and Big10 didn't have one? Now we are the idiots.

goingoneight
2/5/2013, 10:52 PM
We're the idiots for pretending this laughing stock of a conference was worth staying in just so we could continue the RRS every year.