PDA

View Full Version : Home Security System

One4OU
1/30/2013, 02:21 PM
Anyone ever install a system on their own?

I would like to have one but am mot wanting to commit to the monitoring fees and contract from the typical companies.

I think I would be fine with an alarm that sounded a loud siren like my parents had in their home.

Any suggestions or advice is helpful.

Midtowner
1/30/2013, 03:23 PM
X10 has a pretty good self-monitored setup. They used to sell it at RadioShack.

http://www.x10.com/products4/google/home_security_ps_nox.html

I think this along with something like this

http://www.x10.com/key_products/internet-camera.htm

So you could jump on the internet and see what's going on and decide whether to dispatch the police. Also, be aware that if you live in a city, you'll likely have to get a license/permit.

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 03:37 PM
This works pretty well.

http://www.junkdrawerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/windowslivewriterdontworryhewontbite-10bd7mean-dog-2.jpg

pphilfran
1/30/2013, 05:03 PM
A system like that x10 is fine...

A genius buddy of mine, though he couldn't balance a checkbook if he tried, put together a system that calls me if triggered and then I can get a live feed if needed...a loud *** alarm in house..

One camera and about a half dozen eyes shooting diagonally across the living room and hallway...

Also, get a dog that barks...

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2013, 05:43 PM
You had damn well better get one...after all, according to all those commercials, there are numerous middle-aged white guys with nothing better to do than go rampaging through front doors of homes and ransacking the **** outta your stuff...and raping you if you happen to be a hawt white chick!

Oh ****...I just turned 30 last week...I am now middle-aged...

Must...resist...urge...to...kick...door....innnnn

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 05:54 PM
You had damn well better get one...after all, according to all those commercials, there are numerous middle-aged white guys with nothing better to do than go rampaging through front doors of homes and ransacking the **** outta your stuff...and raping you if you happen to be a hawt white chick!

Oh ****...I just turned 30 last week...I am now middle-aged...

Must...resist...urge...to...kick...door....innnnn

Dayum Boy yer gettin up there with Matlock. Hell of it is You had more sense back when you was a fresh Frag Mag than he ever will.

SoonerStormchaser
1/31/2013, 10:58 AM
You're totally selling me short, Olevet!

olevetonahill
1/31/2013, 12:08 PM
You're totally selling me short, Olevet!

Naw. You gots to admit back when ya was a fresh butter bar you wernt to smart. You have gone up a bit tho since :black_eyed:

KantoSooner
1/31/2013, 12:33 PM
I might have read this here. If so sue me.

What you need to do is go down to Goodwill and get a pair of old workboots. Biggest damn ones you can find. Size 14's if possible.
Put them next to your front door. Put a well thumbed copy of Guns & Ammo, or Field & Stream or Soldier of Fortune on top of 'em.
Next, pin a message to the front door. The message should say, "Bubba, Me and Big Mike just went down to the store for some shotgun shells, back real soon. Hope you brought that Sig .40 that I wanted to shoot because I'm getting a box of that, too. Best you go wait in your truck because I had to deworm the pit bulls and some of 'em are in a real bad mood."
Sign it 'A.C.'

No batteries, no code to remember. Simple and cheap.

badger
1/31/2013, 12:39 PM
I might have read this here. If so sue me.

What you need to do is go down to Goodwill and get a pair of old workboots. Biggest damn ones you can find. Size 14's if possible.
Put them next to your front door. Put a well thumbed copy of Guns & Ammo, or Field & Stream or Soldier of Fortune on top of 'em.
Next, pin a message to the front door. The message should say, "Bubba, Me and Big Mike just went down to the store for some shotgun shells, back real soon. Hope you brought that Sig .40 that I wanted to shoot because I'm getting a box of that, too. Best you go wait in your truck because I had to deworm the pit bulls and some of 'em are in a real bad mood."
Sign it 'A.C.'

No batteries, no code to remember. Simple and cheap.

A "BEWARE OF DOG" sign works just as well. Actual dogs also have been good at fending off the Jehovah's Witnesses that no longer visit our house. Seriously. The last time they came I pretended I was restraining my (very friendly never bit anyone) dogs who were so excited for a visitor that they probably would have tried to kiss their faces. That was a few years ago. Haven't seen them or their Watchtowers since.