PDA

View Full Version : NCs Left On The Table (in my lifetime)

HateTheWhorns
1/29/2013, 07:36 PM
A little off-season fodder.

Attended my first game in 1970 (TX-OU) and have been a season ticket holder ever since.

1970 - Young team with a new offense. Just wasn't meant to be.
1971 - I was at the "Game of the Century" and really thought we were the better team. The illegitimate punt return and sack/fumble recovery for a TD were the difference. We win, we definitely end up with an NC.
1972 - USC was pretty good that year as they dominated all opponents. OU loses at #9 CU 20-14. On paper we played a more difficult schedule so if we win that game, then who knows.
1973 - Probation cost us any chance at being #1 in the AP poll.
1974 - NC
1975 - NC
1976 - Young team with new QB making his first start against UT (T. Lott)
1977 - Very good team. We lost to UT, but still had a chance if we beat Lou Holtz and UA in the Orange Bowl. One of our worst losses ever.
1978 - Best team in the nation. We fumble 8x at Nebraska and still have a chance as Billy Sims fumbles at the 2 yd line going in for the winning score. We get redemption against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, but too little too late.
1979 - We lost to a better UT team
1980 - See 1979
1981 - 1983 The impact of losing of Jerry Pettibone, Gene Hochevar, Donnie Duncan, and Larry Lacewell (in 1978) begins to show itself in the form of coaching and recruiting. Switzer re-tools.
1984 - OU defense comes together on a goal-line stance against UT in the rain-soaked 15-15 tie and dominates college football for the next 3 1/2 yrs. We beat Washington and we win another NC.
1985 - NC
1986 - Miami
1987 - Miami
1988 - OU loses at #5 USC early and collapses late in the season.
1989-1999 The dark years
2000 - NC
2001 - If we beat OSU in November, our D might have been able to carry us to another NC
2002 - Touch losses at A&M and OSU, but finish with a nice win in the Rose Bowl
2003 - Healthy Jason White likely results in a nice road win at LSU and another title.
2004 - The game that shall not be mentioned
2005 - Rebuilding year
2006 - Improved team, but not NC caliber
2007 - Untimely injuries and bad losses to CU and TT. Terrible bowl game with WVU.
2008 - We got too conservative in NC game. If we play free and easy I think we win that game and another NC.
2009 - 2012 Landry Jones years. Suspect defensive performances during this period, questionable running game, and a QB that did not appear to have the "IT" factor.

When you read through this, it is amazing to see how close we were to winning another 4, 5, 6, or 7 NCs. Woulda Coulda Shoulda, but it is certainly nice to be in the hunt year in and year out.

tulsaoilerfan
1/29/2013, 08:00 PM
I still think the 78 team could have been the best in OU history; that team was LOADED

OUNASH
1/29/2013, 08:20 PM
1976- Lost to OsU and Colorado back to back no chance at a Natl Champ. Injuries to key defensive players cost us.
1980 - Loss against John Elway on a rainy nasty day and then to Texas no chance a a Natl Champ. This team came on late and was very good by the end of the season.
1978 team was probably the best team I have ever seen play.
Just my 2 cents.

Breadburner
1/29/2013, 08:52 PM
I agree with the OP...

lexsooner
1/29/2013, 08:53 PM
The 1973 team of probation and Little Joe's wild punt return at USC was better than the 74 or 75 teams which won the MNC. The 77 and 78 teams easily could have won NCs. Otherwise, the best chance we had was in 2008 but Harvin got shot up with painkillers and Florida had a month to prepare for our offense. We would have beaten them in a regular season game. Most years it will depend a lot on luck along with being good in order to win a NC.

Sabanball
1/29/2013, 08:55 PM
I was living in Oklahoma back in 1978 and can say without hesitation that I think that yrs Sooners were the best OU team that I've ever seen take the field in MY lifetime. Sims doesn't catch fumblitis in Lincoln then you guys easily win the NC that yr. A close second I think would be your '86 team--other than against the canes they ran everybody they played that season out of the stadium.

XingTheRubicon
1/29/2013, 09:19 PM
I was living in Oklahoma back in 1978 and can say without hesitation that I think that yrs Sooners were the best OU team that I've ever seen take the field in MY lifetime. Sims doesn't catch fumblitis in Lincoln then you guys easily win the NC that yr. A close second I think would be your '86 team--other than against the canes they ran everybody they played that season out of the stadium.

I think we had a 5 game stretch in '86 where we gave up 6 points total.

XingTheRubicon
1/29/2013, 09:22 PM
check that...3 points total in 5 games.

10/18 Oklahoma State
Norman
19-0

4-1

10/25

Iowa State

Ames

W

38-0

Criner

11/1

Kansas

Lawrence

W

64-3

3-8, NR

Valesente

11/8

Missouri

Norman

W

77-0

3-8, NR

Widenhofer

11/15

Colorado

Boulder

W

28-0

6-6, NR

McCartney

8timechamps
1/29/2013, 09:24 PM
I don't know, but I think the '85 Sooners could be one of the best OU squads of all time...but, it's hard to say given the QB change.

2008 is up there too. I'd say that team may be the best team in the history of the Big XII.

Sabanball
1/29/2013, 10:17 PM
I think we had a 5 game stretch in '86 where we gave up 6 points total.

Your D was so dominating that yr that it took 25 yrs before another one came along that finished the season ranked no. 1 in every defensive category like yours was that season--Bama's in 2011.

PLaw
1/30/2013, 11:24 AM
'71, '73, and '78

Regardless, these years are my wheelhouse. That's when I developed my Dad's passion for Sooner football. First game attended - Nebbish '71 and I haven't looked back since.

So, people wonder why some bitch and bellyache when OU is not in the MNC discussion every November. Well, to all of you who are happy with conference championships, you can just roll on to mediocrity. Me, I'll hang my hat in Switzerland next to my Dad's hat in Bud's Hall. So, go buy your Fiesta seat, but look for me at the National Championship.

BOOMER
Born, Bred, and Dead

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/30/2013, 11:39 AM
The problem with the 81-83 teams was that Switzer didn't adjust to the scholarship reduction from 105 to 95 that started in 1978. That JC Watts class was HUGE and he couldn't replace them with other players for the first year (we had something like 5 scholarships to give). And then he tried to recruit like he had 105 for the next 2 years - taking a lot of Oklahoma players that he just couldn't afford to take anymore. It wasn't until 82-83 that he dropped the number of kids he recruited in Oklahoma to a manageable number.

rainiersooner
1/30/2013, 03:57 PM
2008 - We got too conservative in NC game. If we play free and easy I think we win that game and another NC.

I don't know...argument could be made that if we had been more conservative and taken the field goal points instead of going for it on fourth down, might have been a different fourth quarter.

Otherwise agree with your post - great recounting of near misses!

soonervegas
1/30/2013, 04:40 PM
We still had a chance in 1984 if we would have smoked Washington. I think they did an informal poll of coaches before the bowl and they said something to the effect of "They would vote OU as national champs if they won by 14+"

Alas.....we ended up fading against the true best team in the country that year, Washington. (They only lost to SC on the road that year 9-16)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/30/2013, 04:53 PM
A little off-season fodder.

Attended my first game in 1970 (TX-OU) and have been a season ticket holder ever since.

1970 - Young team with a new offense. Just wasn't meant to be.
1971 - I was at the "Game of the Century" and really thought we were the better team. The illegitimate punt return and sack/fumble recovery for a TD were the difference. We win, we definitely end up with an NC.
1972 - USC was pretty good that year as they dominated all opponents. OU loses at #9 CU 20-14. On paper we played a more difficult schedule so if we win that game, then who knows.
1973 - Probation cost us any chance at being #1 in the AP poll.
1974 - NC
1975 - NC
1976 - Young team with new QB making his first start against UT (T. Lott)
1977 - Very good team. We lost to UT, but still had a chance if we beat Lou Holtz and UA in the Orange Bowl. One of our worst losses ever.
1978 - Best team in the nation. We fumble 8x at Nebraska and still have a chance as Billy Sims fumbles at the 2 yd line going in for the winning score. We get redemption against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, but too little too late.
1979 - We lost to a better UT team
1980 - See 1979
1981 - 1983 The impact of losing of Jerry Pettibone, Gene Hochevar, Donnie Duncan, and Larry Lacewell (in 1978) begins to show itself in the form of coaching and recruiting. Switzer re-tools.
1984 - OU defense comes together on a goal-line stance against UT in the rain-soaked 15-15 tie and dominates college football for the next 3 1/2 yrs. We beat BYU and we win another NC.
1985 - NC
1986 - Miami
1987 - Miami
1988 - OU loses at #5 USC early and collapses late in the season.
1989-1999 The dark years
2000 - NC
2001 - If we beat OSU in November, our D might have been able to carry us to another NC
2002 - Touch losses at A&M and OSU, but finish with a nice win in the Rose Bowl
2003 - Healthy Jason White likely results in a nice road win at LSU and another title.
2004 - The game that shall not be mentioned
2005 - Rebuilding year
2006 - Improved team, but not NC caliber
2007 - Untimely injuries and bad losses to CU and TT. Terrible bowl game with WVU.
2009 - 2012 Landry Jones years. Suspect defensive performances during this period, questionable running game, and a QB that did not appear to have the "IT" factor.

When you read through this, it is amazing to see how close we were to winning another 4, 5, 6, or 7 NCs. Woulda Coulda Shoulda, but it is certainly nice to be in the hunt year in and year out.Superb analysis. Didn't see anything I disagreed with , except i was thinking the tie with Tx cows was in 1983 instead of '84. (the game where Keith Stansbury intercepted in the EZ, and slid 5 yds due to rainy field. the refs called it incomplete)

HateTheWhorns
1/30/2013, 07:12 PM
Superb analysis. Didn't see anything I disagreed with , except i was thinking the tie with Tx cows was in 1983 instead of '84. (the game where Keith Stansbury intercepted in the EZ, and slid 5 yds due to rainy field. the refs called it incomplete)

It was Oct 1984 because Boz and I worked together the summer before that season and not having ever played a down, he told me that he would be start game one of that season and Switzer wanted him to be the defensive team leader. I thought he was full of S*& (as I did not know him that well, but what the hell did I know).

I think UT came in ranked #1. Todd Dodge was QB and we had Danny Bradley. The game started with a steady (yet warm) drizzle and continued throughout the game. After Darrin Norris (?) broke a 60+ yard run down the sideline to the 1 or 2 yardline. We stuffed UT 4x for one of the classic goal line stands in OU history. We give up that score and we probably don't win. Remember it like it was yesterday. It felt like a win when I walked out and the UT fans were pissed as they knew we got robbed and the whole country saw it.

HateTheWhorns
1/30/2013, 07:21 PM
The problem with the 81-83 teams was that Switzer didn't adjust to the scholarship reduction from 105 to 95 that started in 1978. That JC Watts class was HUGE and he couldn't replace them with other players for the first year (we had something like 5 scholarships to give). And then he tried to recruit like he had 105 for the next 2 years - taking a lot of Oklahoma players that he just couldn't afford to take anymore. It wasn't until 82-83 that he dropped the number of kids he recruited in Oklahoma to a manageable number.

You are correct, but I still think it had a lot to do with the collapse of the coaching staff after the Lacewell incident. Pettibone was one of the all-time great recuiters at OU. This was also during the period that Switzer had his insider trading scandal and was running a very loose ship. One of the aforementioned coaches that left the staff once told me that the coaches used to refer to the pre-1978 staff as Switzer and the 10 little indians as they would have to follow his tracks to make sure he didn't do anything do anything damaging to the program. Switzer was so impulsive they just never knew what he would do next.

tulsaoilerfan
1/30/2013, 10:35 PM
I believe in Switzer's book he mentioned that in his 75 recruiting class he got 13 of the top 30 players in the state of Texas; can u imagine any school doing that it in today's game?

PLaw
1/30/2013, 11:21 PM
It was Oct 1984 because Boz and I worked together the summer before that season and not having ever played a down, he told me that he would be start game one of that season and Switzer wanted him to be the defensive team leader. I thought he was full of S*& (as I did not know him that well, but what the hell did I know).

I think UT came in ranked #1. Todd Dodge was QB and we had Danny Bradley. The game started with a steady (yet warm) drizzle and continued throughout the game. After Darrin Norris (?) broke a 60+ yard run down the sideline to the 1 or 2 yardline. We stuffed UT 4x for one of the classic goal line stands in OU history. We give up that score and we probably don't win. Remember it like it was yesterday. It felt like a win when I walked out and the UT fans were pissed as they knew we got robbed and the whole country saw it.

This game marked the start of the EYES of TEXASS referering. Switz commented after the game about a fumble near midfield late in the 4th with OU up that the Sooners clearly recovered. Barry was confident that if we get that call, the game is over and OU wins. I recall the refs say the Texas runner was down and the horns continue the drive and tie the game.

As much as the replays start to annoy me, I wish we had that technology then. It would have been another W for the Sooners.

Boomer

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/31/2013, 01:31 AM
This game marked the start of the EYES of TEXASS referering. Switz commented after the game about a fumble near midfield late in the 4th with OU up that the Sooners clearly recovered. Barry was confident that if we get that call, the game is over and OU wins. I recall the refs say the Texas runner was down and the horns continue the drive and tie the game.

As much as the replays start to annoy me, I wish we had that technology then. It would have been another W for the Sooners.

BoomerSorta like the Oregon game in Eugene, or that sand aggy game the yr before that...IOW, the replays might well have NOT helped. How quickly we forget who we're talking about...