Midtowner
1/28/2013, 12:22 PM
So what beers are good? Which are not?

Curly Bill
1/28/2013, 12:25 PM
Oh no you didn't?!

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 12:26 PM
This is a discussion that needs to be had.

Curly Bill
1/28/2013, 12:29 PM
This topic is more controversial than the abortion issue. People have views on beer just as strongly held.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/28/2013, 12:41 PM
Most everyone here is Type II diabetic - or has been threatened by their doctor that they are headed in that direction - so how much you drink is maybe more important than which brand. Each regular can is 12.5 grams of carbs to converts to sugar, which means keep the amount reasonable.

Well maybe not you Midtowner if you are early 30s.

sooner_born_1960
1/28/2013, 01:04 PM
I like the liquid kind best.

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 01:22 PM
I don't keep beer at the house, but when I go out, I typically drink something local. I really like the Coop beers. Really good brand.

SoonerBBall
1/28/2013, 01:27 PM
My favorites to get locally are:

Boulevard Tank 7
Coop DNR
Coop F5 (best IPA I've ever tasted)
Guinness (served as cold as possible)

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 01:34 PM
I like getting DNRs at VZD's. They still give a 12 oz pour (ordinarily, it's around an 8 ounce pour in a Chimay glass). The stuff is 10.5% alcohol, so don't get too crazy with it.

King Crimson
1/28/2013, 01:46 PM
\
Guinness (served as cold as possible)

not even. the horra

Tulsa_Fireman
1/28/2013, 01:55 PM
I don't always drink beer, but when I do?

I prefer vagina.

Fraggle145
1/28/2013, 02:04 PM
Yes. Give me beer. Now.

Actually *gulp* I've been drinking a lot of cider recently.

http://www.soonerfans.com/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.png

Strongbow is effing good though. Its like apple juice and beer. What's not to like?

SoonerBBall
1/28/2013, 02:10 PM
not even. the horra

I'm genuinely curious why you say that. I started drinking it served room temperature and did so for a long time. No denying it was good that way, but then I went to London where they (nearly) exclusively serve it "extra cold" and I'll never switch back. Cold beer > warm beer. Every time.

8timechamps
1/28/2013, 02:20 PM
King Crimson can back me up on this, but living in Colorado offers it's residence a vast brewing selection, with lots of niche tastes and what not...

That said, I just like beer. Not too particular about the brand. If I had to pick my favorite, it'd just be Coors original banquet beer (the gold can). But really, I'll drink it any of it.

Breadburner
1/28/2013, 02:21 PM
Lots of ghey beer out there....!!!

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 02:23 PM
How will I know a beer is ghey?

8timechamps
1/28/2013, 02:23 PM
Lots of ghey beer out there....!!!

http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/14/00/12/1221.jpg

This is real.

sooner_born_1960
1/28/2013, 02:25 PM
King Crimson can back me up on this, but living in Colorado offers it's residence a vast brewing selection, with lots of niche tastes and what not...

That said, I just like beer. Not too particular about the brand. If I had to pick my favorite, it'd just be Coors original banquet beer (the gold can). But really, I'll drink it any of it.
This is the proper attitude to have about beer.

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/14/00/12/1221.jpg

This is real.

So if you can deepthroat that longneck...?

KantoSooner
1/28/2013, 02:38 PM
Yes. Give me beer. Now.

Actually *gulp* I've been drinking a lot of cider recently.

http://www.soonerfans.com/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.png

Strongbow is effing good though. Its like apple juice and beer. What's not to like?

Where do you get Strongbow in Oklahoma? Tell me now or my associate, Mr. Ong, will have to demonstrate how he can remove your heart with a corkscrew. Slowly. I've been looking for close to a year.

And a large shout out for Asahi Super Dry. Best lawn mowing beer on the planet.

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 02:41 PM
Byron's should have it. I know it's served at both McNellie's and at Speakeasy.

Fraggle145
1/28/2013, 03:03 PM
Where do you get Strongbow in Oklahoma? Tell me now or my associate, Mr. Ong, will have to demonstrate how he can remove your heart with a corkscrew. Slowly. I've been looking for close to a year.

And a large shout out for Asahi Super Dry. Best lawn mowing beer on the planet.

Hell any liquor store in Norman. I've purchased it at the Spirit Shop and at The Cellar. Crispin is a good alternative. As is Blackthorne if you like it dry.

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 03:07 PM
Hell any liquor store in Norman. I've purchased it at the Spirit Shop and at The Cellar. Crispin is a good alternative. As is Blackthorne if you like it dry.

Sam Adams does a good one IIRC.

KantoSooner
1/28/2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I've been buying Sam Adams 'Angry Orchard' which is good, but not as crisp or dry as Strongbow. My liquor store here in Bartlesville told me they couldn't get Strongbow and I couldn't find it at Parkhill in Tulsa, either.
But then I haven't looked for the past several months...

OU68
1/28/2013, 03:39 PM
Sixth Glass, Moose Drool, Spaten Optimator -- Fassler Hall and Blue Rose cafe

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 03:39 PM
Optimator--good stuff.

SoonerInFortSmith
1/28/2013, 03:51 PM
Leinenkugels (sp?) Is really good. Especially their lemon shandy. Other than that I'll take Guinness extra stout

Tulsa_Fireman
1/28/2013, 05:17 PM
I'm genuinely curious why you say that. I started drinking it served room temperature and did so for a long time. No denying it was good that way, but then I went to London where they (nearly) exclusively serve it "extra cold" and I'll never switch back. Cold beer > warm beer. Every time.

I'm not gonna be as bold as to say that this is just flat out wrong, because I mean hell, to each his own. Taste is taste.

But if you want to enjoy the notes of a fine crafted brew, DEPENDING ON THE BREW, you'll drink it cool. Not room temperature, not lukewarm, not hot **** warm, not even ice box cold, cool. Like you just pulled it out of the cellar under the oaks of the Bier Garten where it's been sitting since it's 2nd. In my opinion, the colder the beer, the more flavor is hidden either good OR bad.

For example. A mass of Hofbrau's Oktoberfest bought from a janky liquor store in the suburbs of Tulsa in April. If you don't drink this mindsearingly cold you're an idiot as the green glass and time it's probably been sitting on the shelf is gonna make this brew taste like a skunk's ***. Drink this bright, flavorful example in the shade of Bavaria on the Theresienweise in late September and slightly cool, just enough to draw a dew drop on the side of the mass will set your palate free.

This applies for your darker options, too. Drinking a doppelbock below 60 degrees is a crime. However, you could barely chain me down and pour an IPA down my throat without it being blistering cold, again, to put the hammer on what I feel are just obscene bitters from all the hops. Drinking a schwarzbier? If with beef, let it come up a bit. You'll find that blackened malt will make your steak taste like a slab of mother's love if you let it warm up some. Enjoying with your brotzeit on the patio? Chilled (again, not ice box cold) helps subdue the coffee-like notes to allow the flavors of your summer sausage and cheese to take more of a presence.

Nothing more refreshing than a good hefeweizen in the beginning of fall or on a sunny spring day. One with a firm citrus note slides smooth as silk when it's nice and cold but more grainy options like a Franziskaner you'll find go great at warmer temperatures as the notes are already gentle and the warmer temperature will let it go down your gullet like a dollar in a stripper's drawers. Likewise in my opinion with a Belgian White. Too warm and it can actually taste odd to some.

Anyway, point being, you can't universally say "Cold is better!" just like you can't universally say "Warm is better!" BOTH are great when temperature is applied to the beer itself and the circumstances around your enjoying it. Beer is awesome like that.

cleller
1/28/2013, 05:44 PM
I used to ocassionally buy the snooty liquor store stuff, and thought it had more bang, tasted better, and all that. Now, I don't get in a fancy liquor store anymore, and just buy Miller, or Bud Ice from the "Indian Smoke Shop". Its run by a man from India with a sense of humor.

Anyone else content with cheap beer?

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 05:49 PM
I used to ocassionally buy the snooty liquor store stuff, and thought it had more bang, tasted better, and all that. Now, I don't get in a fancy liquor store anymore, and just buy Miller, or Bud Ice from the "Indian Smoke Shop". Its run by a man from India with a sense of humor.

Anyone else content with cheap beer?

Not since college and the days when I thought Milwaukee's Best was 6.0% sweetness.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/28/2013, 05:51 PM
But is it really "snooty"?

Is it snooty to buy a bad *** HEMI in your pick-up instead of a pansy 6 banger?

Is it snooty to go with double-ought instead of #8 in your mankilling 12 gauge of death which you bought instead of that breakover .410?

Is it snooty to want big hooters instead of skeeter bites? The 20 ounce ribeye instead of the hamburger patty? The big finale versus black snakes and smoke bombs?

C'mon, man. If anything, it is quintessentially AMERICAN. Red blooded, flag waving, ball cap wearing American.

Boomer.....
1/28/2013, 05:51 PM
I started brewing my own beer last year and actually prefer it over most beer at the liquor store. I have tried a couple of really good beers lately: Guinness Black Lager (I'm not a Guinness fan at all) and Sam Adams Winter Lager.

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 05:54 PM

Is it snooty to go with double-ought instead of #8 in your mankilling 12 gauge of death which you bought instead of that breakover .410?

Is it snooty to want big hooters instead of skeeter bites? The 20 ounce ribeye instead of the hamburger patty? The big finale versus black snakes and smoke bombs?

C'mon, man. If anything, it is quintessentially AMERICAN. Red blooded, flag waving, ball cap wearing American.

So drinkers of Bud Ice are now unamerican?

KantoSooner
1/28/2013, 05:56 PM

You forgot bottle blonds, martini's and cigarettes without filters.

Oh, and convertables without seat belts.

Made America great is what that stuff did.

8timechamps
1/28/2013, 05:59 PM

There's a big difference though...

Regardless of your tastes, you can feel the performance of a HEMI. There are no two ways about it.

As for beer (or any food really), one man's idea of "the best" is subjective.

I won't go as far as to say I like Milwaukee's Best, but to me, Coors is as good as anything I've had.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/28/2013, 06:11 PM
And some people like fat chicks and bologna sammiches.

8timechamps
1/28/2013, 06:12 PM
And some people like fat chicks and bologna sammiches.

Yeah, no.

SoonerInFortSmith
1/28/2013, 06:26 PM
Big girls need lovin too. That's where a lot of cheap beer comes in.

texaspokieokie
1/28/2013, 06:34 PM
i like convertibles without back seats, hemi's (i even know what a "hemi" is) & coors beer.

cleller
1/28/2013, 06:51 PM
Some people overreact to the word "snooty" thats for sure. Good grief, answer the question, and stop with the goofy woman feelings.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/28/2013, 06:59 PM
Do you ever get that "not-so-fresh" feeling?

King Crimson
1/28/2013, 07:03 PM

how they serve it in London is the imperial oppressors version...not Irish. for the colonial overlords, i like the Fuller's ESB.

as 8Time says, it's just stupid around here in CO.....lately i'm enjoying Crazy Mountain Living IPA and Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewery in Durango.

i've heard Coors Banquet used to be pretty good....my mom says so.

GDC
1/28/2013, 07:55 PM
Sixth Glass, Moose Drool, Spaten Optimator -- Fassler Hall and Blue Rose cafe

Love that place...that being said, I've also been on a Smithwick's binge lately.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5hdqdVj1d1rtsbizo1_500.jpg

soonerhubs
1/28/2013, 08:05 PM
I've heard that this is good beer. ;) http://www.2beerguys.com/images/forblog/pyramid_heff.png

8timechamps
1/28/2013, 10:06 PM
If I do get "snooty", it happend after a day of skiing, on the way back to the city, stopping off at Tommyknocker for a burger and beer. Any of these would work:

http://aleheads.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/tommyknocker-labels.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
1/28/2013, 10:20 PM
http://www.orble.com/images/natty-natty-light-beer-in-space1.jpg

/thread

Breadburner
1/28/2013, 10:47 PM
Turd trumps them all....AGAIN.....!!!

KantoSooner
1/29/2013, 10:27 AM
Mostly, the best advice is to drink the local beer. Most countries and regions/states have good or better local beer. Even some islamic countries have great beer. I'm thinking Bintang in Indonesia and Anchor in Malaysia as examples. There is one exception, however: Taiwan.
The local stuff is called 'Taiwan Beer' and is brewed by a government monopoly who obviously knows as much about brewing as they do about marketing. It tastes like I imagine rancid **** to taste. It is served over ice to try and blunt the flavor. It is so bad that imported Miller is the market share leader.
Avoid it at all costs.

lexsooner
1/29/2013, 12:30 PM
I recently had two kinds of the Chimay Belgium Trappist Monk beer - the Blue and the Cinq Cents, and both were delicious. Now the Belgium beer I used to like - Stella - tastes like crap.

Fraggle145
1/29/2013, 02:43 PM
how they serve it in London is the imperial oppressors version...not Irish. for the colonial overlords, i like the Fuller's ESB.

as 8Time says, it's just stupid around here in CO.....lately i'm enjoying Crazy Mountain Living IPA and Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewery in Durango.

i've heard Coors Banquet used to be pretty good....my mom says so.

Ska brewery puts out some good ****.

Fraggle145
1/29/2013, 02:44 PM
If I do get "snooty", it happend after a day of skiing, on the way back to the city, stopping off at Tommyknocker for a burger and beer. Any of these would work:

http://aleheads.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/tommyknocker-labels.jpg

That Jack Whacker is a damn good beer.

delhalew
3/12/2013, 08:50 AM
It's the same as the movement away from processed, mass produced foodish items.
When you choose between a craft beer or a macro beer, you choose whether to taste a beer or the industrial process.

KantoSooner
3/12/2013, 11:52 AM
Maybe so, but take care. A lot of these 'micro brews' are just micro-labels of major breweries. They could see where the market growth was coming as well as the next guy.

The one I'm most excited about right now is Marshall Brewing in Tulsa. Whether you like their beer or not, the way they are goinog about their business is utterly right.

hawaii 5-0
3/12/2013, 04:10 PM
I never understood the notion of 'dry' beer.

I like my beer wet and quinching.

5-0

East Coast Bias
3/12/2013, 04:31 PM
I like to drink Boulevard when I am in Oklahoma. Yuengling draft is some pretty good drinking beer as well. The Canadian beer is hard to beat for getting your drunk on...

KantoSooner
3/12/2013, 04:46 PM
I never understood the notion of 'dry' beer.

I like my beer wet and quinching.

5-0

Technically, higher alcohol/lower residual sugars, 'dry' as in wine. But I get where you're coming from.

Still like Asahi Super Dry for days spent riding on the mower when it's eleventy billion degrees outside.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/12/2013, 04:58 PM
Technically, higher alcohol/lower residual sugars, 'dry' as in wine. But I get where you're coming from.

Still like Asahi Super Dry for days spent riding on the mower when it's eleventy billion degrees outside.

Better listen to him. He's Pre-Med.

Skysooner
3/12/2013, 05:26 PM
This one isn't stellar, but the label is great.

http://adsontheedge.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/polygamy-porter.jpg

Locally (Denver), I prefer the Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout.

olevetonahill
3/12/2013, 06:54 PM
Choc beer, Is some good stuff.

C&CDean
3/12/2013, 08:56 PM
Beer is for queers. Room temp whiskey is where it's at. Geeks.

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2013, 09:09 PM
Zima.
5 Stars.
/thread

olevetonahill
3/12/2013, 09:44 PM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGCAZ0s13JVSlogoWd7HPQEJT6P_bKb BoXEX8UBHZvCvdJQNfPKQ

FirstandGoal
3/12/2013, 11:29 PM

Zima.
5 Stars.
/thread

LOLing at the fact that these 2 posts were made back to back in this thread.

Pure awesomeness!

StoopTroup
3/13/2013, 03:22 AM
Red Beer, salted rim, little worcestershire, black pepper, slice of lime and maybe a little celery salt. Just a pinch. It's kind of a cheap Bloody Mary. You could throw a few green olives on a toothpick in there instead of the lime.

What kind of beer?

Whatever won't have a reaction like when you mix baking soda and vinegar. :D

SunnySooner
3/13/2013, 06:20 AM
I heart Harp's, but I can't drink beer like I did backinnaday, get "ugh" full after just a couple. Can't catch a buzz like that, man, and that's a hella lot o'calories to blow for just flavor. Sad, really. Sucks to get old.

We did put back a few of the Heavy Seas Loose Cannons the other night, tho. This stuff:
http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/25755.jpg

Not usually any sort of IPA girl, but this was dang tasty. Course, it's a 7+point, maybe that's why I liked it so much. :biggrin: :surprise:

champions77
3/21/2013, 09:14 AM
Roughtail Brewery is unveiling their new beers Monday night at Tapwerks in Bricktown. Look forward to tasting what they have.

StoopTroup
3/21/2013, 07:15 PM
Love that place...that being said, I've also been on a Smithwick's binge lately.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5hdqdVj1d1rtsbizo1_500.jpg

Yum.

We had some of this on the 17th....Wife really likes it. I had a sip. Not bad IMHO.

http://www.beermag.co.za/PictureDisplay.ashx?photoid=23&size=Full&Type=Article

sooneron
3/22/2013, 09:15 AM
I have recently discovered Roscoe's. It's an upstate NY brand. There are a lot of good ones up in them thar hills.

http://beerambassador.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/roscoes-hop-house-amber-ale.jpg

I have a lot of favorite brands, none of which, are Bud/Coors...

sooneron
3/22/2013, 09:21 AM
Not since college and the days when I thought Milwaukee's Best was 6.0% sweetness.

Whole Foods carries a beer that is cheap. I call it lawnmowing beer, because it's light and good cold. I think it's called Copper Bell.

GDC
3/30/2013, 09:37 PM
Terrible.

http://www.huebertbrewing.com/img/rootbeer.png