PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching the senior bowl?

soonercastor
1/26/2013, 05:21 PM
Apparently Lane Johnson looked really good during practice

soon3rfan
1/26/2013, 05:24 PM
Yes everyone was talking good on Lane but I dont hear much good about Landry.

JLEW1818
1/26/2013, 05:27 PM
@davidpollack47: They talked about how Landry Jones won a lot of games & everyone loved him but my man see's ghosts in the pocket. #SeniorBowl

8timechamps
1/26/2013, 05:27 PM
What channel is it on?

jk the sooner fan
1/26/2013, 05:28 PM
i really think the practice week has more significance to the scouts than the actual game

i wouldnt put much stock in how well or poorly Landry plays today

JLEW1818
1/26/2013, 05:29 PM
@walterfootball: Ashamed to say I had Landry Jones in the third round of my mock. He won't be there next week http://t.co/se8i6DV6

jk the sooner fan
1/26/2013, 05:29 PM
What channel is it on?

nfl network

8timechamps
1/26/2013, 05:52 PM
nfl network

thanks jk!

8timechamps
1/26/2013, 05:53 PM
@walterfootball: Ashamed to say I had Landry Jones in the third round of my mock. He won't be there next week http://t.co/se8i6DV6

Anything walterfootball says is 100% accurate!

jk the sooner fan
1/26/2013, 06:08 PM
dropping any player out of a draft slot because of one or two series in an all star game is idiotic

winout
1/26/2013, 06:10 PM
Good talk about Landry in this nfl.com qb review: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senior-bowl/0ap2000000130576/Mayock-breaks-down-Senior-Bowl-QBs

OkieThunderLion
1/26/2013, 06:13 PM

Everybody has a website.

I saw a picture posted of Walter last week. lol

OkieThunderLion
1/26/2013, 06:13 PM
dropping any player out of a draft slot because of one or two series in an all star game is idiotic

Most of the NFL scouts went home on Friday. The week is very important. Almost no stock in the game.

VA Sooner
1/26/2013, 06:26 PM
So... Landry's performance won't hurt or help him in the actual bowl game but more so that he showed up for practice and had a chance for the scouts to see and interview him...

OkieThunderLion
1/26/2013, 06:29 PM
So... Landry's performance won't hurt or help him in the actual bowl game but more so that he showed up for practice and had a chance for the scouts to see and interview him...
The scouts learn a lot more in the 10-15 practice hours than the game. That's why most go home. All-star football games are what they are.

VA Sooner
1/26/2013, 06:31 PM
His practice tape looks good... he's a gotten a quicker release after this year. Work on the pocket presence and he'll go up a few spots.

freshchris05
1/26/2013, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure where Landry will end up in the draft, but he has ended up on the turf alot today. It's been hard to watch.

Texas Golfer
1/26/2013, 08:07 PM
Landry has an advantage in that this year's class of QBs is not as strong as last year's. Geno Smith (WVU) and Matt Barkley (USC) will probably be the two top QBs. What has hurt Landry is his post season play. He played horribly in the Cotton Bowl as he did today. He went from a Heisman candidate to maybe a second round pick and that's only if he has a good combine.

tulsaoilerfan
1/26/2013, 08:21 PM
Landry looked horrible today; probably the weakest year ever for QB prospects

OkieThunderLion
1/26/2013, 08:21 PM
Past Senior Bowl performances...
T. Tebow 8/12 <- Future star
J. Locker 6/10
A. Dalton 3/7
C. Ponder 7/13, 2 TD
Kaepernick 4/9, 1 INT
R. Wilson 4/7, 1 TD, 1 INT
B. Weeden 5/9, 2 INT

Texas Golfer
1/26/2013, 09:23 PM
Past Senior Bowl performances...
T. Tebow 8/12 <- Future star
J. Locker 6/10
A. Dalton 3/7
C. Ponder 7/13, 2 TD
Kaepernick 4/9, 1 INT
R. Wilson 4/7, 1 TD, 1 INT
B. Weeden 5/9, 2 INT

And Landry's 3-9 for 16 yards is worse than any of those. Landry had the worst stats of any of the QBs in today's game.

OkieThunderLion
1/26/2013, 10:16 PM
And Landry's 3-9 for 16 yards is worse than any of those. Landry had the worst stats of any of the QBs in today's game.
Does that make you sad? :(

Though Weeden and Kaepernick were obviously worse.

jk the sooner fan
1/26/2013, 10:16 PM
and it means absolutely nothing

8timechamps
1/26/2013, 10:42 PM
and it means absolutely nothing

Exactly. As OkieThunderlion mentioned, the important time was this last week in practice. The game is more of a reward for the players than an actual scouting tool. I'm sure the NFL guys that were there, did all of their scouting during the week. Besides, you can't tell anything from a few series in an all-star game.

tulsaoilerfan
1/26/2013, 10:48 PM
No but the reviews on the QB play this week have not been all that great

Seamus
1/26/2013, 10:52 PM
Ahh, the age of living vicariously ...

StoopTroup
1/26/2013, 11:10 PM
Funny thing is...everytime someone makes some case that Landry ought to just hang up his cleets....he's been out there playing every week when he was in College. If he can do that in the Pros and not get killed and is linked up with some WRs that are trying to keep their jobs every week along with a Veteran or two...he might just surprise some folks.

There is the chance that he's just not up for it but I've never seen him give up yet.

JLEW1818
1/26/2013, 11:14 PM
fire Venables

BigJerm7
1/27/2013, 12:23 AM
Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.

Soonerwake
1/27/2013, 12:55 AM
Why all the damned negativity about a former Sooner??? What's wrong with you people??

None of you negative nancies are NFL scouts, or have any freaking clue about what they really think of Landry. Give it a rest..

I, for one, am proud of him, and will cheer him on wherever he goes.

Seamus
1/27/2013, 02:25 AM
Why all the damned negativity about a former Sooner??? What's wrong with you people??

None of you negative nancies are NFL scouts, or have any freaking clue about what they really think of Landry. Give it a rest..

Some people are not thrilled with their ****ed-up lives. Ripping on others gives them some sense of ... I dunno ... relief, I guess.

Texas Golfer
1/27/2013, 02:50 AM
I think some people over-react to other peoples' comments. They get emotional and feel the need to defend. I like Landry and have never been anything but supportive. I'm just being honest in my opinion that his stock dropped after his 2ND half play in the Cotton Bowl and after his performance today. He needs to shake the image he's getting of not being able play under pressure and have a great combine.

Texas Golfer
1/27/2013, 02:59 AM
Does that make you sad? :(

Though Weeden and Kaepernick were obviously worse.

Yes, it makes me sad. I was hoping he'd be a 1st round pick and I think his poor performance in the Cotton Bowl and today may have hurt those chances.

freshchris05
1/27/2013, 03:14 AM
If you think Landry is being bashed in this thread, you should read others! I wish Landry the best. He's a great citizen and was super productive while he was here. He just had a rough time under center in Mobile. You never know what happens in the NFL, but things did not look good today.

Lane Johnson stood out today. Which is funny because he was pretty forgettable while at OU. Not bashing Johnson either, but I was surprised by his play. I had been hearing his name thrown in with other 1st rounders and didn't understand what warranted it. But lo and behold he looked legit. Kudos. Make us proud son.

flysooner9
1/27/2013, 06:53 AM
I hear the best job in the country is being a second or third string QB in the NFL.

tulsaoilerfan
1/27/2013, 10:47 AM

Should we all just hold hands and sing kumbaya? Im pretty sure we all support Landry and appreciate him for being a Sooner

cleller
1/27/2013, 11:01 AM
I hear the best job in the country is being a second or third string QB in the NFL.

Sure, if you don't mind starting pay at least 7 times the average guy's salary, doing all the same stuff you did in college - minus the classes, traveling around the country staying in nice hotels, and watching lots of NFL football from the sidelines.

budbarrybob
1/27/2013, 11:29 AM
Sure, if you don't mind starting pay at least 7 times the average guy's salary, doing all the same stuff you did in college - minus the classes, traveling around the country staying in nice hotels, and watching lots of NFL football from the sidelines.

If they are looking to hire a washed up 46 yr old... I'm ready!

Scott D
1/27/2013, 01:11 PM
I think some people over-react to other peoples' comments. They get emotional and feel the need to defend. I like Landry and have never been anything but supportive. I'm just being honest in my opinion that his stock dropped after his 2ND half play in the Cotton Bowl and after his performance today. He needs to shake the image he's getting of not being able play under pressure and have a great combine.

See that's where opinions differ. His stock made it's drop early in the season and has remained roughly in the same place all year. He may have increased it slightly during the course of the week, but the game itself is as useless as ever.

Back when the Hula Bowl still went on, the scouts were on site for the practices (one of the practice sites was my high school football field), the scouts never went to the game. And honestly why should they? It's the college equivalent of one of many exhibition games. In the case of the Senior Bowl, it's an exhibition game coached by arguably the two worst NFL staffs that still have their jobs.

OkieThunderLion
1/27/2013, 02:08 PM

Senior Bowl game performance is irrelevant.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/27/2013, 03:49 PM
The first year i went to the Senior Bowl week, I was really thinking about the game and who would play well. By Thursday morning, 90% of the scouts were gone and I learned quickly that no one who makes an important football decision gives a rat's *** about the game itself.

The next year, i flew out on Thursday with everyone else.

Texas Golfer
1/28/2013, 02:04 AM
Senior Bowl game performance is irrelevant.

It may not carry the weight as the practice but the game performance is relevant. Landry's performance in the Cotton Bowl drooped his stock and his performance yesterday hurt him some.Maybe not significantly but some. it will now be all up to the combine. Best of luck, Landry.

jk the sooner fan
1/28/2013, 08:21 AM
^ it did not - the senior bowl performance is a mere blip - the practices, the combine, and his pro day, along with interviews - and the needs/fits of a team will decide his draft fate

that senior bowl game was for the fans and nothing else

pure fantasy that it helps or hurts his draft stock

jk the sooner fan
1/28/2013, 08:38 AM
wait - his cotton bowl performance? 35-48 for 278 yards........we didnt lose that game because of Landry Jones - anybody that watched the Cotton Bowl knows we lost that because of our defense

coaching played as much a role as anything - but that loss had VERY little to do with Landry Jones

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2013, 09:14 AM
The Pro Bowl game and the Senior Bowl game carry the same amount of weight when evaluating a football player.