PDA

View Full Version : Who's right? (non-OU recruiting)

8timechamps
1/25/2013, 07:15 PM
This isn't about OU recruiting, but an interesting story.

Jeremi Hall is a high school offensive guard out of Atlanta, and he was offered by Georgia Tech in May and committed to the Jackets the same month. Like any recruit, Hall continued to receive interest from other schools after he verbally committed. Hall had offers from Tennessee, Ole Miss and Virginia Tech (to name a few), but was recently offered by South Florida. Hall took an official visit to South Florida last weekend, and remained committed to GT afterward.

On Tuesday, Hall got a call from GT letting him know that his offer had been pulled since he had taken a visit to another school without informing the GT coaches.

Is Hall getting a raw deal from GT, or is okay for the Jackets to pull his offer since he was verbally committed and visited another team without letting anyone at GT know?

I can see both sides of the argument, but I tend to side with GT on this. If they pulled the offer because he didn't inform them, then I think that's the right move. If they pulled the offer because he visited another school, that's crap. Not sure which it is, but GT says it's because Hall "didn't inform anyone of the visit to USF".

Speck
1/25/2013, 07:19 PM
The school, as a commitment is just that. Too bad that word means nothing anymore.

Sabanball
1/25/2013, 07:58 PM
"You shop, we shop."

I believe that kids should absolutely be allowed to take their visits so they can make an informed decision, but coaches are ALSO absolutely within their rights to put conditions on scholly offers, especially on what are known as firm, committable offers.

That being said, Saban and the rest of the SEC coaches for that matter allow their commits to make their visits. In fact, Saban actually encourages them to do so.

8timechamps
1/25/2013, 08:16 PM
"You shop, we shop."

I believe that kids should absolutely be allowed to take their visits so they can make an informed decision, but coaches are ALSO absolutely within their rights to put conditions on scholly offers, especially on what are known as firm, committable offers.

That being said, Saban and the rest of the SEC coaches for that matter allow their commits to make their visits. In fact, Saban actually encourages them to do so.

Stoops allows it too, but he's of the opinion that if you plan to keep looking, so will he. Probably fairly standard for the bigger programs.

8timechamps
1/25/2013, 08:18 PM
The school, as a commitment is just that. Too bad that word means nothing anymore.

I heard a counterpoint that made it kind of interesting. Does GT only allow committed (elsewhere) recruits to visit their campus if they've notified the school they are committed to, or do they care? I'm sure they don't care.

A verbal commit isn't worth anything anymore.

lexsooner
1/25/2013, 08:26 PM
This isn't about OU recruiting, but an interesting story.

Jeremi Hall is a high school offensive guard out of Atlanta, and he was offered by Georgia Tech in May and committed to the Jackets the same month. Like any recruit, Hall continued to receive interest from other schools after he verbally committed. Hall had offers from Tennessee, Ole Miss and Virginia Tech (to name a few), but was recently offered by South Florida. Hall took an official visit to South Florida last weekend, and remained committed to GT afterward.

On Tuesday, Hall got a call from GT letting him know that his offer had been pulled since he had taken a visit to another school without informing the GT coaches.

Is Hall getting a raw deal from GT, or is okay for the Jackets to pull his offer since he was verbally committed and visited another team without letting anyone at GT know?

I can see both sides of the argument, but I tend to side with GT on this. If they pulled the offer because he didn't inform them, then I think that's the right move. If they pulled the offer because he visited another school, that's crap. Not sure which it is, but GT says it's because Hall "didn't inform anyone of the visit to USF".

8Time, did Ga. Tech let Hall know their policy after he committed? That's a key question. Obviously each program has its own take on this, but if Hall had no idea about Ga. Tech's you shop we shop attitude, well then, I tend to side with Hall.