PDA

View Full Version : Subway restaurants

badger
1/24/2013, 03:45 PM
Here's the infamous "footlong" image:
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/945125/thumbs/r-SUBWAY-FOOTLONG-FACEBOOK-large570.jpg?6

I have always felt that they have shortchanged on many aspects of their sandwich to maintain a likely high profit margin... and eating their stuff usually doesn't make you feel fed afterward (probably due to their fake and turkey-based ingredients, not to mention loading sandwiches with iceberg lettuce).

At the same time, they're usually the closest and most convenient lunch stop no matter where you are.

Thoughts on Subway?

cleller
1/24/2013, 03:53 PM
Dullsville, but they've got something going right for them.

I thought Quiznos was way better, but too expensive, now Quizno's are about gone. I guess you can at least attempt to get something at Subway that is not going to plaster your arteries with lard.

The whole "Subway Restaurant" manta is funny to me. Sounds like a weak attempt to upsell their image.

Boomer.....
1/24/2013, 03:56 PM
Subway has some of the worst subs out there. Blah! People just eat them because they think they're eating healthy.

tator
1/24/2013, 04:02 PM
I don't mind Subway. I don't go there for fine dining.

Curly Bill
1/24/2013, 04:03 PM
Not my choice for a gourmet meal, but if I want something light, fairly quick, and relatively cheap, I got nothing against em.

...and no, they're not the tastiest subs out there, but they're not bad.

C&CDean
1/24/2013, 04:33 PM
I call them "Breadway." All bread, no meat.

They do have chopped salads now that aren't bad. I get the double chicken chopped salad sometimes for lunch and it ain't bad. Better than any of the breadwiches they serve.

yermom
1/24/2013, 04:36 PM
solid meh.

8timechamps
1/24/2013, 04:54 PM
Subway is nasty. In fact, most sandwiches are nasty.

C&CDean
1/24/2013, 04:57 PM
solid meh.

If you live/work in OKC/Norman/Edmond or any large city there's no excuse for eating at a Subway. In Norman there's Penny Hill, Jersey Mike's, Gourmet Deli, Midway Market, and about a hunnert other places with a better sammich. I'm stuck in Pauls Valley or out on the road most of the time and the pickings are slim.

8timechamps
1/24/2013, 05:01 PM
If you live/work in OKC/Norman/Edmond or any large city there's no excuse for eating at a Subway. In Norman there's Penny Hill, Jersey Mike's, Gourmet Deli, Midway Market, and about a hunnert other places with a better sammich. I'm stuck in Pauls Valley or out on the road most of the time and the pickings are slim.

BINGO!

rock on sooner
1/24/2013, 05:07 PM
Throw rocks at Subway if ya want but they have something like
14000 stores worldwide and growing. Their business model, with
building the sandwich in front of the customer (toasted, like Quizno's,
if ya want) makes it one of the safer places to eat, certainly more
preferable to knuckleheads in a back kitchen doing things to the food
that ya can't see. 'Sides, Blake Griffin hawks 'em...

ouleaf
1/24/2013, 05:14 PM
Good business that promotes and markets itself very well, but the product is pretty average.

C&CDean
1/24/2013, 06:02 PM
Throw rocks at Subway if ya want but they have something like
14000 stores worldwide and growing. Their business model, with
building the sandwich in front of the customer (toasted, like Quizno's,
if ya want) makes it one of the safer places to eat, certainly more
preferable to knuckleheads in a back kitchen doing things to the food
that ya can't see. 'Sides, Blake Griffin hawks 'em...

Living proof that people really are stupid. I've seen about 3 cars at Jersey Mike's in Norman and the Subway is packed out. WTF?

SoonerInFortSmith
1/24/2013, 06:35 PM
I had Jersey Mike's when I was up north and I thought it was average. Jimmy John's is where its at if you ever find one! And we have a firehouse over here that is really good.

C&CDean
1/24/2013, 06:43 PM
I had Jersey Mike's when I was up north and I thought it was average. Jimmy John's is where its at if you ever find one! And we have a firehouse over here that is really good.

I order Jimmy Johns a lot from hotel rooms. They deliver faster than hell, and they're sammitches are pretty good. They still don't have anything that compares to a Big Kahuna at Jersey Mikes though. JJ's Italian Nights sub is my favorite. I've seen Firehouse in a couple places but have never tried them.

picasso
1/24/2013, 06:45 PM
Jimmy johns sucks.

Subway is meh but their steak n cheese, pepper jack, spinach, onion, cucumber and chipotle sauce foot long is one of my favorites Jerry.

toast
1/24/2013, 09:28 PM
For Tulsa folks, Bill & Ruth's behind Wendy's at 51st & Sheridan makes a great Philly Steak (although it's not an actual Philly Steak)

okiewaker
1/24/2013, 09:33 PM
I like Subway but I like Pizza Shuttle and Which Wich subs better.

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 09:36 PM
When I wanta Great sammich I get a New Girlfriend and Tell her to make me one.

rock on sooner
1/24/2013, 09:41 PM
When I wanta Great sammich I get a New Girlfriend and Tell her to make me one.

Sammiches few and far in between?....:biggrin:

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 09:44 PM
Sammiches few and far in between?....:biggrin:

Not as far as one might think

rock on sooner
1/24/2013, 09:48 PM
Not as far as one might think

Welp, there are those wimmen that like the hill country fellers...

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 09:50 PM
Welp, there are those wimmen that like the hill country fellers...

Dayum skippy. Dont think some city broad would last out here

Chuck Bao
1/25/2013, 03:54 AM
I like Subway for what it is, which, in my opinion, is just a healthier choice of fast food. Of course, I'd rather have a sandwich made at an old fashioned mom-and-pop owned and operated deli rather than a food chain but that's not always an option. They are convenient, relatively cheap and a great business model. They are ubiquitous and strangely enough people like that. My cousin has several outlets in Dallas which seem to do well. The last office building I worked at in Bangkok had a Subway. For eat-while-working lunches, I had a choice of that and a French-styled franchise deli (which had a killer salmon toasted bagel sandwich with wasabi sauce).

C&CDean
1/25/2013, 09:07 AM
Jimmy johns sucks.

Subway is meh but their steak n cheese, pepper jack, spinach, onion, cucumber and chipotle sauce foot long is one of my favorites Jerry.

I guess some folks just like a giant hunk of bread with a miniscule amount of meat/cheese.

Boomer.....
1/25/2013, 09:23 AM
I guess some folks just like a giant hunk of bread with a miniscule amount of meat/cheese.

Ik,r? Personally I think Jersey Mike's is the best. Jimmy Johns, Penny Hill and Whichwich behind that. I also much prefer fresh meat cut in front of you than prepackaged sleeves of meat like at Subway. Also, their wheat bread isn't wheat. It's the exact same as white bread.

olevetonahill
1/25/2013, 09:43 AM
The only choice I have around is Subway, unless I want macPuke or some other junk assed fast food which aint Fast or good.

As for the idiots gettin their panties all knotted over an inch of bread they just dumbasses :peach:

jkjsooner
1/25/2013, 09:51 AM
Good topic. I do Subway about once a week because it's right by the gym.

I would much rather eat at Quiznos or some better place but there are not options right here.

This is probably going to gross you guys out but they just stopped serving the seafood sub and I'm bummed about it. I didn't get it often because it's really bad for you. I always kind of chuckled when they asked if I wanted mayo on it. Why the heck would I put mayo on something that's already 50% mayo?

I do like their teriyaki chicken sub. But again I'd really prefer Quiznos.

badger
1/25/2013, 10:05 AM
If you want to ruin Subway forever for yourself, go to the nutrition info tracker pages (http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx). I just learned that the sandwich I used to order contains 900 calories and 36 grams of fat :(

Lott's Bandana
1/25/2013, 12:18 PM
The Earth in Norman makes some great sammies as well.

Especially if you like stuff you're never gonna see at Subway or any other chain.

sooneron
1/25/2013, 12:57 PM
Subway is only good if I'm desperate and I have to be really desperate! And by good, I mean, meh.

After looking at the "nutritional" info, I'm surprised my Subway melt is that low cal and fat, the sodium is off the charts, tho.

C&CDean
1/25/2013, 12:59 PM

Especially if you like stuff you're never gonna see at Subway or any other chain.

****in' hippy. Where is this Earth?

sooneron
1/25/2013, 01:02 PM
Flood Ave since about a ****boat long ago?

Although, the sammich part moved to Asp on CC.

Lott's Bandana
1/25/2013, 02:02 PM
****in' hippy. Where is this Earth?

Used to be affiliated with Lovelight somehow...I'm not aware of the full story, but I bet someone else is.

SoonerStormchaser
1/25/2013, 02:27 PM
Subway is pure dog**** compared to Cappriottis!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/25/2013, 02:29 PM
I don't mind Subway. I don't go there for fine dining.pretty much.

8timechamps
1/25/2013, 05:42 PM

Old School Bagel is pretty solid too.

C&CDean
1/25/2013, 06:21 PM
Anybody ever eat a sammich at Panera? I haven't tried it and see them all the time. They worth a ****?

rock on sooner
1/25/2013, 06:25 PM
Anybody ever eat a sammich at Panera? I haven't tried it and see them all the time. They worth a ****?

Welp, dunno what a **** is, but I've had em a couple of time...two different
places, sandwiches "okay" but service wasn't...

8timechamps
1/25/2013, 06:29 PM

It's okay. Nothing to go out of your way to find.

rock on sooner
1/25/2013, 06:31 PM
On another note, most of the comparisons are local favorites versus
franchises and there really isn't fair comparison. e.g. best restaurant
burger I've ever eaten was at a place in Longmont, CO called "Grandma's"
Not a franchise anywhere could compete with that big ol steak bun burger
with mustard, onions, pickles, lettuce and tomato...fries weren't that good,
though....

FaninAma
1/25/2013, 06:39 PM
Panera is very good. They have good selection of sandwiches, soups and salads.

FirstandGoal
1/25/2013, 08:58 PM
Jebus, this thread is 3 pages long and nobody has mentioned Jason's Deli?

That's my favorite place to go. Here is my ultimate list of sandwich ratings

Cafe 7>Jason's Deli>McAlisters>Panera>Jersey Mikes>Jimmy Johns>Quinznos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ,,,,, (a very, very, very long way down.....) Subway> any other greasy fast food.

FirstandGoal
1/25/2013, 09:00 PM
Panera is very good. They have good selection of sandwiches, soups and salads.

My favorite items from Panera are the power breakfast sandwich and the Mediterranean Egg White Sandwich. I also love how they have calorie counts for everything (even the bad stuff) posted right on the menu.

olevetonahill
1/25/2013, 09:01 PM
Jebus, this thread is 3 pages long and nobody has mentioned Jason's Deli?

That's my favorite place to go. Here is my ultimate list of sandwich ratings

Cafe 7>Jason's Deli>McAlisters>Panera>Jersey Mikes>Jimmy Johns>Quinznos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ,,,,, (a very, very, very long way down.....) Subway> any other greasy fast food.

The only options I got is Subway, or the grease pits I choose Subway

olevetonahill
1/25/2013, 09:11 PM
The only options I got is Subway, or the grease pits I choose Subway

Ok, Or get another GF and make her make me one. :highly_amused:

Lott's Bandana
1/26/2013, 09:31 AM

That place is so stinkin loud...what? WHAT?

texaspokieokie
1/26/2013, 11:15 AM
Subway is what it is. You know what you're gonna get when you go there.
Why a whole thread of criticism ??

rock on sooner
1/26/2013, 11:23 AM
Ok, Or get another GF and make her make me one. :highly_amused:

Jus be sure she dont werk at one of them greasepits!:surprise:

yermom
1/26/2013, 11:38 AM
Used to be affiliated with Lovelight somehow...I'm not aware of the full story, but I bet someone else is.

pretty sure it has changed owners since then. the Lovelight was gone before i was around Campus Corner much, but i know the owner of The Earth now, loosely.

The Earth used to be on Asp at the end of the row on the West side of the street. now it's where Freebirds used to be, back in the parking lot facing White Street

8timechamps
1/26/2013, 04:42 PM

Are you new to the internet?

TUSooner
1/26/2013, 07:57 PM
I live in a city with its own sandwich, the ubiquitous and occasionally sublime "poor boy", or "poboy." When I can get a fried shrimp or fried oyster or sloppy roast beef poboy (dressed) why would I buy a homogeneous Subway "processed boy"? But other people do eat them here.

EDIT: Pickleman's at Campus Corner is better, too.

C&CDean
1/26/2013, 08:22 PM
I live in a city with its own sandwich, the ubiquitous and occasionally sublime "poor boy", or "poboy." When I can get a fried shrimp or fried oyster or sloppy roast beef poboy (dressed) why would I buy a homogeneous Subway "processed boy"? But other people do eat them here.

EDIT: Pickleman's at Campus Corner is better, too.

A good shrimp/catfish/oyster po boy is the WIN. What I've discovered (I've eaten about a thousand "po boys") is that it really is the bread, and the sauce/dressing/garnish. A good baguette with good shrimp/oysters/fish is very hard to beat.

Curly Bill
1/26/2013, 08:45 PM

Stick around long enough and you'll find that a surprising number of music & food snobs both populate this place. Kinda surprising to find such a high number of em on a message board me thinks.

okiewaker
1/26/2013, 08:46 PM
Folks mentioned Panera,,,,always jam packed or I'd go and try it out. Someone also mentioned burgers,,,tried all in Norman but The Garage. So far 5 guys blows'em all away.

Lott's Bandana
1/27/2013, 11:23 AM
A good shrimp/catfish/oyster po boy is the WIN. What I've discovered (I've eaten about a thousand "po boys") is that it really is the bread, and the sauce/dressing/garnish. A good baguette with good shrimp/oysters/fish is very hard to beat.

Hà Nội

By far the best baguettes and croissants I have ever had. The Chairman ****ed up the Frogs and stole their cuisine while doing it.

A fish-ball bánh ḿ sammy is a pretty good parallel to a NOLA Po Boy.

yermom
1/27/2013, 12:02 PM
there is a Vietnamese place with sandwiches at least similar to that at Asp and Buchanan now. i guess they have been there a few years at this point, Coriander Cafe

ouwasp
1/27/2013, 12:11 PM
Subway is WAY over-rated... plus I have one of those "small-town politics" reasons to boycott the local ones. Easy choice for me.

Lott's Bandana
1/27/2013, 12:31 PM
there is a Vietnamese place with sandwiches at least similar to that at Asp and Buchanan now. i guess they have been there a few years at this point, Coriander Cafe

Yep.

I was surprised to find they opened in September 2010...didn't think they'd been there that long.

I shall be trying them this week.

texaspokieokie
1/27/2013, 12:48 PM
Are you new to the internet?

Was born about 2 weeks ago.

sanantoniosooner
1/27/2013, 06:35 PM
Subway is WAY over-rated... plus I have one of those "small-town politics" reasons to boycott the local ones. Easy choice for me.

Over-rated by who?

I consider it acceptable but not exceptional and I think that's fair.

jk the sooner fan
1/27/2013, 07:04 PM
places you can get a really good sandwich:

McAllisters Deli, Which Wich, Firehouse Subs, Schlotzskys, Jason's Deli, Lennys

places you can not get a really good sandwich:

subway.........quizno's is ok, but way over priced

tator
1/28/2013, 10:11 AM
What I learn from this thread:

"If I, (insert your name here), don't like it. Nobody should!!!!"

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 12:02 PM
Folks with such deep seated convictions about subway sandwiches have gotta be tough to get along with regarding subjects which actually matter.

OU68
1/28/2013, 12:13 PM
Hickory burger and onion rings at the Boomarang - in the 60's, never found onion rings that matched since...

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 12:15 PM
Used to catch the occasional lunch at Boomerang back in college. I don't recall them as being particularly amazing, but I did enjoy their Caesar burger.

Curly Bill
1/28/2013, 12:15 PM
What I learn from this thread:

"If I, (insert your name here), don't like it. Nobody should!!!!"

Now you're catching on to how things work here. You can also apply the same thing to music and movies.

Curly Bill
1/28/2013, 12:16 PM
Now you're catching on to how things work here. You can also apply the same thing to music and movies.

...and beer! Beer may be the biggest area of snobbery around these parts!

Midtowner
1/28/2013, 12:19 PM
Beer?

...actually, that doesn't surprise me at all.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/28/2013, 12:21 PM
Hickory burger and onion rings at the Boomarang - in the 60's, never found onion rings that matched since...

They did have the best onion rings.

Curly Bill
1/28/2013, 12:21 PM
Beer?

...actually, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Oh, we got us some beer experts like you wouldn't believe. Just start a thread on beer and allow them to tell you why what you drink sucks, and what they drink is the best thing ever!

OU68
1/28/2013, 12:40 PM
Used to catch the occasional lunch at Boomerang back in college. I don't recall them as being particularly amazing, but I did enjoy their Caesar burger.

Well, since you're in your 30s, you never got the real thing :tickled_pink:

Lott's Bandana
1/28/2013, 06:40 PM

Boomerang in Norman went away...and didn't return.

texaspokieokie
1/28/2013, 06:54 PM
there's a boom a rang in okmulgee.

ouwasp
1/29/2013, 09:28 PM
Over-rated by who?

I consider it acceptable but not exceptional and I think that's fair.

Heh...by the rest of my family, for starters!. I agree the food itself is acceptable...

1/30/2013, 02:24 AM
Why a whole thread of criticism ??Somebody musta actually got tired of dissing Walmart...at least for a while.

1/30/2013, 02:26 AM
Are you new to the internet?yeah, you right!

1/30/2013, 02:33 AM
Hickory burger and onion rings at the Boomarang - in the 60's, never found onion rings that matched since...wait...what? NOW you're talking! Best rings ever been, and a #3 chili cheeseburger, ladle on a spoonful or so of extra grease. WOW!

SanJoaquinSooner
2/1/2013, 12:37 AM
Here in California, you are charged sales tax on cooked food from a restaurant. So if you go to a Subway and buy a $5 footlong, you pay 40 cents tax if you get it heated, but no tax if you don't get it heated.

StoopTroup
2/1/2013, 03:52 AM
Thanks TU. I'm hungry for a real Nawlins po-boy now.