PDA

View Full Version : So what is this bull****? - host Church services in your home and save on taxes?

Fraggle145
1/24/2013, 08:52 AM
So I've been noticing a lot of these signs up in neighborhoods recently of people hosting church services in their homes. Apparently, there is some tax break for becoming a minister and putting something like this on. What is the deal on this? How much do you save on your taxes? Doesnt anyone else find this to be a bit dubious?

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 08:56 AM
So I've been noticing a lot of these signs up in neighborhoods recently of people hosting church services in their homes. Apparently There is some tax break for becoming a minister and putting something like this on. What is the deal on this? How much to you save on your taxes? Doesnt anyone else find this to be a bit dubious?

Got a Link? More Info?

Ya might be able to save some on Property taxes. I dont see how on Income tho since even ministers Pay Income on the salary and perks.

Fraggle145
1/24/2013, 08:58 AM
I dunno - dont have a link. Its just kinda what I've been hearing/noticing. In this one (well-to-do) neighborhood I have seen 4 of these church service signs pop up in the last 2 months... That's why I was asking!

sappstuf
1/24/2013, 09:06 AM
So I've been noticing a lot of these signs up in neighborhoods recently of people hosting church services in their homes. Apparently There is some tax break for becoming a minister and putting something like this on. What is the deal on this? How much to you save on your taxes? Doesnt anyone else find this to be a bit dubious?

No, my son.

Come to my home for religious/financial counseling.

/sarc

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 09:10 AM
I dunno - dont have a link. Its just kinda what I've been hearing/noticing. In this one (well-to-do) neighborhood I have seen 4 of these church service signs pop up in the last 2 months... That's why I was asking!

I doubt it has anything to do with Taxes bro.

A lot of folk are just tired of the "Organized" religions and think starting small groups in their homes of Like believers is better for them.

JMHO tho cause I dont know. I do know years ago folks were doing this .

Fraggle145
1/24/2013, 09:14 AM
I doubt it has anything to do with Taxes bro.

A lot of folk are just tired of the "Organized" religions and think starting small groups in their homes of Like believers is better for them.

JMHO tho cause I dont know. I do know years ago folks were doing this .

See that's what I thought too. But then after talking with some peeps they said it has become the new thing to do to save money on the taxes. So I figured someone might know on here.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2013, 09:20 AM
unless your home is a full time place of worship - you wont get a tax break - anymore than you would using part of your home as an office for business

first it was "A LOT of signs" - then it was 4..........that's a lot of rage over 4 signs in a neighborhood

Fraggle145
1/24/2013, 09:28 AM
unless your home is a full time place of worship - you wont get a tax break - anymore than you would using part of your home as an office for business

first it was "A LOT of signs" - then it was 4..........that's a lot of rage over 4 signs in a neighborhood

I guess you've never seen me post before. I like swearing. This is nowhere close to rage. Just because it is on the politics board doesnt make it rage.

4 signs in one neighborhood in 2 months is a lot. And apparently they do meet regularly. Like once a week or every 2 weeks.

XingTheRubicon
1/24/2013, 09:29 AM
Don't worry, there's a 50/50 chance they don't pay income taxes anyway.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2013, 09:34 AM
I guess you've never seen me post before. I like swearing. This is nowhere close to rage. Just because it is on the politics board doesnt make it rage.

4 signs in one neighborhood in 2 months is a lot. And apparently they do meet regularly. Like once a week or every 2 weeks.

Christians meeting on a weekly basis - gasp!!!!!

Fraggle145
1/24/2013, 09:38 AM

You're a ****ing idiot. I was asking if there was some tax break that people got for doing this. Because that is what I heard. Go **** up a rope.

To me if you are meeting on a weekly basis under the guise of any religion, but your true motive is a tax break then IMHO that is ****ed up.

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 09:39 AM
See that's what I thought too. But then after talking with some peeps they said it has become the new thing to do to save money on the taxes. So I figured someone might know on here.

Dont see how , but then again Its been a Long time since I was involved in any kinda religion .

cleller
1/24/2013, 09:44 AM

This must be reported to the authorities! Who do they think they are, flaunting these views? I could understand if they were gay, transvestites, communists, muslims, or some other protected entity.

While trying to find out anything about this topic, I ran across this story about a pastor in Phoenix who was arrested for holding a Bible study group at his home (which sits on 4.6 acres). Neighbors complained about traffic, so the city said he could not do it due to zoning rules. When he persisted he was jailed for violations over not having sprinkler systems and emergency lighting, etc.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/man-facing-jail-for-hosting-home-bible-study.html

For the city's side of the story:

http://phoenix.gov/news/071212salmanfacts.html

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2013, 09:45 AM
You're a ****ing idiot. I was asking if there was some tax break that people got for doing this. Because that is what I heard. Go **** up a rope.

To me if you are meeting on a weekly basis under the guise of any religion, but your true motive is a tax break then IMHO that is ****ed up.

you're the ****ing idiot because you're making huge assumptions without having all (or any of) the facts......you're biased against religion - i get that, it's in your signature courtesy of the board Jesus hater yermom.....

so they meet regularly - big deal.....why dont you go to one of the meetings - or better yet - ask one of them about what it is they are doing - have a dialogue

but be educated and refrain from using profanity

XingTheRubicon
1/24/2013, 09:53 AM
I heard this neighborhood in Del City, they had groups of people meeting every day at several homes...and they were getting tax breaks on rent, food, gas, electric, etc.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/24/2013, 10:01 AM
I would guess it could only fall under the home office deduction. There's pretty strict requirements about what constitutes a home office. It has to be a part of the house specifically set aside as a home office. That part of the house can't double as a bedroom or dining room or kitchen. Also taking the home office deduction makes you much more likely to get audited, so you have to decide if it's really worth it.

Fraggle145
1/24/2013, 10:01 AM
you're the ****ing idiot because you're making huge assumptions without having all (or any of) the facts......you're biased against religion - i get that, it's in your signature courtesy of the board Jesus hater yermom.....

so they meet regularly - big deal.....why dont you go to one of the meetings - or better yet - ask one of them about what it is they are doing - have a dialogue

but be educated and refrain from using profanity

You are the one making huge assumptions about me. I am biased against religion. However, you assumed it was christianity. And yermom isnt the only "jesus hater" on the board. There are plenty more than just the 2 of us. Does that make us bad people?

I admitted in the first post i didnt have all the facts. I listed the information that I had heard and asked a question. 3 questions in fact. Go read it. I'll wait. Why do people ask questions? Because they dont have all the facts.

I am educated. Probably had more education than most on the board. Doesnt mean to much of anything. Being educated doesnt have anything to do with intelligence. And neither does profanity.

So... **** off. Dip ****.

KantoSooner
1/24/2013, 10:02 AM
Why don't we settle this and stop tax exemptions for religious orgs? Or, as Zappa said, "Tax the churchs. Tax the businesses owned by the churchs."

Bourbon St Sooner
1/24/2013, 10:05 AM
I heard this neighborhood in Del City, they had groups of people meeting every day at several homes...and they were getting tax breaks on rent, food, gas, electric, etc.

Well anything can be a tax deduction until you get audited. If you are calling part of your home a tax-exempt church, you better make sure it passes scrutiny or hope you don't get audited.

Fraggle145
1/24/2013, 10:06 AM
While trying to find out anything about this topic, I ran across this story about a pastor in Phoenix who was arrested for holding a Bible study group at his home (which sits on 4.6 acres). Neighbors complained about traffic, so the city said he could not do it due to zoning rules. When he persisted he was jailed for violations over not having sprinkler systems and emergency lighting, etc.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/man-facing-jail-for-hosting-home-bible-study.html

For the city's side of the story:

http://phoenix.gov/news/071212salmanfacts.html

That was the info I saw when I did a quick google on it...

I've heard of some of those complaints going around in Norman as well. One of the church/houses took down their sign. Apparently also a traffic/parking complaint of clogging the streets.

XingTheRubicon
1/24/2013, 10:15 AM

Well anything can be a tax deduction until you get audited. If you are calling part of your home a tax-exempt church, you better make sure it passes scrutiny or hope you don't get audited.

I was referencing liberals meeting every day at home (because they don't seem to work) and receiving food stamps, etc.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/24/2013, 10:23 AM
I was referencing liberals meeting every day at home (because they don't seem to work) and receiving food stamps, etc.

Heh. Carry on.

Fraggle145
1/24/2013, 10:24 AM

Right I was wondering if it was even possible to do that. And what the requirements would be for that to actually be considered legit.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/24/2013, 10:28 AM
Right I was wondering if it was even possible to do that. And what the requirements would be for that to actually be considered legit.

I'm not a tax expert. I know just enough to be dangerous. But I'm familiar with the home office deduction and I'm pretty sure you would have to meet those standards to qualify for a deduction on your home as a tax-exempt church. You can't just hold a bible study once a week in your living room and take a deduction on it.

lexsooner
1/24/2013, 11:28 AM

OMG! I just realized something. I would be considered "liberal" by the standards of this board, but I get up at 5:30 a.m. in the morning to go to work and my taxes help support a bunch of Eastern Kentucky rednecks who don't work, don't pay taxes, and live off of entitlements but yet vote right wing, against their own welfare, food stamps and medicaid dwelling self-interests. Kentucky is obviously "backward" in more ways than one.

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2013, 01:32 PM

nice one~ lol

cleller
1/24/2013, 01:42 PM
OMG! I just realized something. I would be considered "liberal" by the standards of this board, but I get up at 5:30 a.m. in the morning to go to work and my taxes help support a bunch of Eastern Kentucky rednecks who don't work, don't pay taxes, and live off of entitlements but yet vote right wing, against their own welfare, food stamps and medicaid dwelling self-interests. Kentucky is obviously "backward" in more ways than one.

Have you ever met Turtle Man?

Live Action!

lexsooner
1/24/2013, 01:54 PM
Have you ever met Turtle Man?

Live Action!

No, but you gotta watch out for Scaley when you go to the mountains of E. Kentucky. He is a criminal menace and a terror on the streets. He has a long rap sheet and a propensity for running stop signs and basically driving wherever he wants without regard for human life or limb. And worse yet, he has this horrible chronic skin disease which garnered him his nickname. People who have been hit by Scaley report a complete lack of remorse on his part. Mostly, his victims are shocked at his appearance, which is supposedly like the leper from the movie Papillon. The cops there know him well and know he has no insurance and they just roll their eyes when they get yet another report about Scaley's car accident. A co-worker got hit by Scaley and the cop showed up and said "Scaley, I've done toll you a thousand times you ain't supposed to be driving round with no license! I'm tired of this."

cleller
1/24/2013, 03:31 PM
No, but you gotta watch out for Scaley when you go to the mountains of E. Kentucky. He is a criminal menace and a terror on the streets. He has a long rap sheet and a propensity for running stop signs and basically driving wherever he wants without regard for human life or limb. And worse yet, he has this horrible chronic skin disease which garnered him his nickname. People who have been hit by Scaley report a complete lack of remorse on his part. Mostly, his victims are shocked at his appearance, which is supposedly like the leper from the movie Papillon. The cops there know him well and know he has no insurance and they just roll their eyes when they get yet another report about Scaley's car accident. A co-worker got hit by Scaley and the cop showed up and said "Scaley, I've done toll you a thousand times you ain't supposed to be driving round with no license! I'm tired of this."

Now I'm confused. Turtle Man (from Call of the Wildman on Animal Planet) is named Ernie Brown, I think. Who is Scaley?

More likely, its something that went over my head.

lexsooner
1/24/2013, 03:43 PM
Now I'm confused. Turtle Man (from Call of the Wildman on Animal Planet) is named Ernie Brown, I think. Who is Scaley?

More likely, its something that went over my head.

Just some info on another notorious Eastern Kentuckian. Scaley doesn't have a tv show and is not a big celebrity but he is fairly well known in the mountains. He was a pretty bad criminal back in the 70s, but has slowed down in recent years and mostly sticks to driving anywhere he wants without a license or any adherence to stop signs or red lights. I believe his last name is Greer and he is from Possum Trot, KY. No, I am not joking.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/24/2013, 05:37 PM
The front of my pants is a tax exempt church.

You know, the part BEHIND the zipper.

Tax exempt. Kneel before the altar.

Jacie
1/24/2013, 07:43 PM
Do they get to deduct the cost of the Mary Jane they use for sacramental purposes only as well?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/24/2013, 07:55 PM
Christians meeting on a weekly basis - gasp!!!!!it IS certainly pretty GD alarming, ain't it!!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/24/2013, 08:05 PM

More likely, its something that went over my head.you read an account of yet another backwoods redneck anti-statist fool who shouldn't be anti-statist, since the state ain't really done him no harm.

lexsooner
1/24/2013, 09:43 PM
you read an account of yet another backwoods redneck anti-statist fool who shouldn't be anti-statist, since he and his family live off the government dole (the type of people we normally bash), as have many of his relatives for generations, yet he bites the hand which feeds him.

Fixed it for ya. You're welcome!

StoopTroup
1/26/2013, 01:50 PM
Mitt is out promoting all Mormans use Marriott Hotel Rooms as a place of Worship. Thus you probably can write off your Hotel Rooms as long as your Morman and there is a Marriott Hotel wherever the Sooners are playing when on the road or at a Bowl Game.