PDA

View Full Version : Phil Mickelson Apologizes for Complaining About High Taxes

soonercruiser
1/23/2013, 10:10 PM
Poor rich Phil!
He speaks the truth about high taxes (fed+state+local) in California, and has to be politicially correct and appologize to any liberal fans that he may have offended!
Duh!
Get some balls Phil!

Mickelson sorry for public airing of tax issues
Mickelson caused a sensation this week by saying new federal and state tax rates kept him from being part of the San Diego Padres' new ownership group and might cause him to move away from his native California as part of "drastic changes" brought on by the political climate.

Golfer Phil Mickelson answers a question about comments he made about taxes during a news conference held after his round in the pro-am at the Farmers Insurance Open golf tournament at Torrey Pines Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Denis Poroy)

He said Wednesday it was a "big mistake" to go public with his views, and he illustrated it with his worst moment in golf.

http://newsok.com/mickelson-sorry-for-public-airing-of-tax-issues/article/feed/491026

SCOUT
1/23/2013, 10:23 PM
Poor rich Phil!
He speaks the truth about high taxes (fed+state+local) in California, and has to be politicially correct and appologize to any liberal fans that he may have offended!
Duh!
Get some balls Phil!

http://newsok.com/mickelson-sorry-for-public-airing-of-tax-issues/article/feed/491026

Phil is right in that it was a "big mistake" to go public with his views. Successful people are to be scorned for their success. They should also be made to pay for their behavior.

diverdog
1/23/2013, 10:38 PM
Phil is right in that it was a "big mistake" to go public with his views. Successful people are to be scorned for their success. They should also be made to pay for their behavior.

The dude gets paid millions to chase a little white balls. He was blesses to be hit with a gift from the golf fairy. He should thank god every day for being blessed with such a great gift and stop complaining about paying taxes on millions made off people who have no interest in the sport. On the whole it is pretty tough to feel sorry for him.

picasso
1/23/2013, 10:41 PM
There's a reason why a lot of those golfers don't live in California. I don't blame them one bit.
Most of that money should be theirs in what they do or don't do with it, not some fat *** career politician in DC.

okie52
1/23/2013, 10:55 PM
The dude gets paid millions to chase a little white balls. He was blesses to be hit with a gift from the golf fairy. He should thank god every day for being blessed with such a great gift and stop complaining about paying taxes on millions made off people who have no interest in the sport. On the whole it is pretty tough to feel sorry for him.

He's a fool to live in Cali with their bankrupt economic policies. Millions made off people who have no interest in the sport? Who is that, the illegals?

diverdog
1/23/2013, 11:05 PM
He's a fool to live in Cali with their bankrupt economic policies. Millions made off people who have no interest in the sport? Who is that, the illegals?

No all the sponsors whose products I buy. It pisses me off that companies like Amex spend so much on that stupid sport.

SCOUT
1/23/2013, 11:06 PM

I am sorry to see you so closely adhere to this line of thinking. Was he blessed? Yes. Does he have to work hard (despite an illness) to achieve his success? Yes.

I get tired of people diminishing the accomplishments of those who actually accomplish.

okie52
1/23/2013, 11:10 PM
No all the sponsors whose products I buy. It pisses me off that companies like Amex spend so much on that stupid sport.

That's true with a lot of sponsors supporting things most people don't care about...think how angry people are that don't like football.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/24/2013, 12:02 AM
it's like Taylor Swift complaining in public that she can't wear the same dress twice. Rich people's problems just don't go over well.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/24/2013, 12:37 AM
That's true with a lot of sponsors supporting things most people don't care about...think how angry people are that don't like football.it's that GD Capitalism, again rearing its Ugly Head!!! The govt. needs to do something about that...wait, they are.

yermom
1/24/2013, 12:50 AM
next they are coming for your pants. be warned.

Blue
1/24/2013, 01:34 AM
Come on Phil. Move out of Mexifornia to the new US. Where people aren't punished for being successful.

diverdog
1/24/2013, 07:25 AM
I am sorry to see you so closely adhere to this line of thinking. Was he blessed? Yes. Does he have to work hard (despite an illness) to achieve his success? Yes.

I get tired of people diminishing the accomplishments of those who actually accomplish.

Scout I am not diminishing his accomplishment for being a great golfer. What I am diminishing is getting paid millions to chase a little ball. This guy has no problems. Anyone of us would trade places with him in a heart beat. He has the right to bitch but in reality it ain't a good idea.

XingTheRubicon
1/24/2013, 09:41 AM
Scout I am not diminishing his accomplishment for being a great golfer. What I am diminishing is getting paid millions to chase a little ball. This guy has no problems. Anyone of us would trade places with him in a heart beat. He has the right to bitch but in reality it ain't a good idea.

I've never understood this type of thinking. In just about any relevant endeavor...if you're one of the best on Earth at your trade, you make millions in return. It will be that way 1,000 years from now as well, if you're wondering.

If you want to be upset about something, Keanu Reeves made close to 100 million on the Matrix trilogy.

Whoa.

rock on sooner
1/24/2013, 09:46 AM
That's true with a lot of sponsors supporting things most people don't care about...think how angry people are that don't like football.

People don't like football??? Where is he/she? Can't be more than one er two...
take em to a tailgate, any tailgate and then it'll be unanimous!

REDREX
1/24/2013, 10:32 AM
Phil is a WIMP

badger
1/24/2013, 10:42 AM
As a rule in general, complaining isn't when people sound their best and usually, it's a time when other people like to shut their eyes or look away.

As such, I don't expect Phil to lose sponsors or sleep over this, just like Tiger didn't lose sponsors or sleep over his long line of mistresses. Why? Look at golf's main clientele. It's (probably) filled with tax loophole artists and those that have multiple mistresses themselves.

OU68
1/24/2013, 10:47 AM
Football sponsors don't bother me - most of them are pushing that horse p**s many Mericans call beer.

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2013, 01:01 PM
it's that GD Capitalism, again rearing its Ugly Head!!! The govt. needs to do something about that...wait, they are.

no $hit...good grief...believe me, I can't understand why athletes/entertainers get paid so much (for a real job), but I also know I'd be there in a heartbeat if I had those talents.

okie52
1/24/2013, 01:17 PM
California residents, businesses consider bailing on Golden State over taxes
By William La Jeunesse
Published January 23, 2013
FoxNews.com

The proposed exodus is the result of Proposition 30, a tax-increase proposal by Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown that residents voted into law in November
California expects to net $5 billion to $7 billion annually by increasing the tax rate on households making more than $250,000 a year -- and which already pay 62 percent of state income taxes, according to 2010 tax returns. The top 2 percent of earners, households earning more than $450,000, pay 46 percent of the taxes. And those earning more than $1 million -- just 34,000 of the state's 14 million taxpayers -- pay 25 percent of the entire states' taxes.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/23/california-residents-businesses-consider-bailing-on-golden-state-over-taxes/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz2Iv1P8g53

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/23/california-residents-businesses-consider-bailing-on-golden-state-over-taxes/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz2IuzTcDC1

It isn't just Phil that's bitching.

badger
1/24/2013, 02:32 PM
It isn't just Phil that's bitching.

It's one thing if your state/country offers something that no other state/country offers. California has a big coastline along the Pacific, good universities and an educated workforce, not to mention one of the largest (the largest?) populations in any state.

But, it's not like other states don't have oceanfront, don't have universities and don't have large populations, if any of those are what you desire.

If California wants to keep its high tax rate, they either need to shut down all paths out (hahahahahaha) or give people good reasons to stay... and I'm not talking about the non-high taxpayers, because they don't matter in this discussion... unless, of course, your real goal is to get rid of your high taxpayers. Maybe they, too, are sick of the real housewives of orange county?

okie52
1/24/2013, 02:42 PM
It's one thing if your state/country offers something that no other state/country offers. California has a big coastline along the Pacific, good universities and an educated workforce, not to mention one of the largest (the largest?) populations in any state.

But, it's not like other states don't have oceanfront, don't have universities and don't have large populations, if any of those are what you desire.

If California wants to keep its high tax rate, they either need to shut down all paths out (hahahahahaha) or give people good reasons to stay... and I'm not talking about the non-high taxpayers, because they don't matter in this discussion... unless, of course, your real goal is to get rid of your high taxpayers. Maybe they, too, are sick of the real housewives of orange county?

Great climate...great coast...****ed up state legislature and people.

I'm enjoying Cali's meltdown. They've brought it on themselves.

Ton Loc
1/24/2013, 03:15 PM
LA and California kind of suck. Fantastic climate, great coastline, mountains, etc.... It's like a super hot girl who has been living off her looks for her first 30-39 years....and then 40 hits and she loses the only thing she had to offer = her looks. It is all downhill from here.

okie52
1/24/2013, 03:57 PM
LA and California kind of suck. Fantastic climate, great coastline, mountains, etc.... It's like a super hot girl who has been living off her looks for her first 30-39 years....and then 40 hits and she loses the only thing she had to offer = her looks. It is all downhill from here.

I think you nailed it.

badger
1/24/2013, 04:15 PM
I think you nailed it.

cali's filled with girls like that too, so yeah

BermudaSooner
1/24/2013, 04:15 PM

You really just don't get it...do you realize that your Amex fees would probably be higher without the advertising? Said another way, if Amex didn't benefit from sponsoring golf, they wouldn't do it.

They do still teach basic business classes at OU, right?

okie52
1/24/2013, 04:55 PM
cali's filled with girls like that too, so yeah

I'm okay with that...hell I would be good with a lot of their post 40 models.

rock on sooner
1/24/2013, 05:18 PM

We certainly agree on that point, Okie. Being over 40 = fewer inhibitions, more
adventure, usually more intelligence and less bovine scatology!....Jus sayin..

8timechamps
1/24/2013, 05:26 PM
I lost a little bit of respect for Phil because he apologized. WTF is wrong with out society?

pphilfran
1/24/2013, 05:43 PM

From what I have seen...you've got one...

Tulsa_Fireman
1/24/2013, 05:52 PM
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/10/8c/brett-favre_3.jpg

diverdog
1/24/2013, 09:25 PM
You really just don't get it...do you realize that your Amex fees would probably be higher without the advertising? Said another way, if Amex didn't benefit from sponsoring golf, they wouldn't do it.

They do still teach basic business classes at OU, right?

And how is advertisement counted towards the bottom line?

BermudaSooner
1/25/2013, 01:03 PM
And how is advertisement counted towards the bottom line?

Advertising is an expense, but if it doesn't create positive earnings, it isn't continued. Amex has been a PGA sponsor for years, ergo, I'm assuming it is positive to the bottom line. Said another way, I am very confident that you can be comfortable that Amex's sponsorship does not cost you as an Amex customer anything, and more than likely is a benefit for you as the added revenue more than offsets the advertising costs.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/25/2013, 02:26 PM
Phil got read the "Riot Act" by someone who scared the bejeebers outa him financially, and he's now a marked man. It would be nice to have those kinds of problems, huh?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/26/2013, 09:47 AM
Advertising is an expense, but if it doesn't create positive earnings, it isn't continued. Amex has been a PGA sponsor for years, ergo, I'm assuming it is positive to the bottom line. Said another way, I am very confident that you can be comfortable that Amex's sponsorship does not cost you as an Amex customer anything, and more than likely is a benefit for you as the added revenue more than offsets the advertising costs.

Are you talking about benefit to the Amex consumer or the Amex stock holder? The advertising could increase the total return for the stock holder but increase the cost to the Amex consumer. I think diverdog is speaking from the viewpoint of the consumer.