PDA

View Full Version : Seau's Family Sues NFL/Helmet Manufacturer

FaninAma
1/23/2013, 03:25 PM
How long until a derivative suit hits the college ranks?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/01/23/Seau-Family-NFL

8timechamps
1/23/2013, 03:48 PM
How long until a derivative suit hits the college ranks?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/01/23/Seau-Family-NFL

I'm not sure there hasen't already been one. If not, it will be soon to follow.

Seamus
1/23/2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I remember the tragic day the NFL held Junior at gunpoint, forcing him to play football ...

goingoneight
1/23/2013, 06:28 PM
I loved watching him play... but I'm kinda getting tired of this concussion excuse for players who are ****ed up in the head for whatever reason. Troy Aikman isn't doing anything like this. Nor are any MMA fighters to my knowledge. Blaming football for mental illness is like blaming guns for mass shootings. Doesn't add up.

yermom
1/23/2013, 07:47 PM
the current line of thought is that isn't isn't about concussions, but lots of smaller impacts.

i'm guessing MMA fighters don't take as many head shots as boxers, who do also have this kind of problem

EatLeadCommie
1/23/2013, 09:39 PM
Not to bag on any former or current football players, but I wonder if the violent nature of the sport doesn't attract many who are predisposed toward mental illness issues.

Harris County Sooner
1/23/2013, 09:39 PM
I took a lot of shots to the head when I was playing high school football. Now I am here typing on an interweb forum. Think I have enough to sue somebody?

8timechamps
1/23/2013, 10:03 PM
I took a lot of shots to the head when I was playing high school football. Now I am here typing on an interweb forum. Think I have enough to sue somebody?

No. However, I bet there's a lawyer out there that would help you out.

agoo758
1/23/2013, 10:40 PM
**** this family trying to cash in on a death. The NFL didn't force him to play football, and the NFL didn't force him to commit suicide. I don't care how depressed he was, Seau was a selfish piece of **** for taking his own life, and now the family wants to blame someone else for his actions.

agoo758
1/23/2013, 10:43 PM
I loved watching him play... but I'm kinda getting tired of this concussion excuse for players who are ****ed up in the head for whatever reason. Troy Aikman isn't doing anything like this. Nor are any MMA fighters to my knowledge. Blaming football for mental illness is like blaming guns for mass shootings. Doesn't add up.

Art Schlicters lawyers are suiing the NFL because they claim that him running a ponzi scheme is a result of his brain being messed up from too many hits. These lawsuits are ****ing rediculous and the reason why we need a loser pays system.

Therealsouthsider
1/24/2013, 12:04 AM
...I'm not sure which is worse, someone who takes their own life or those trying to profit off of it...hmm

SS

Seamus
1/24/2013, 03:38 AM
...I'm not sure which is worse, someone who takes their own life or those trying to profit off of it...hmm

SS

I'm sure.

Boomer.....
1/24/2013, 08:47 AM
The constant shots to the helmet are deteriorating the players brains. The longer you are in the game, the worse it gets. A lot of these "brain dead" players can't function in real life. The problem is, they were not forced to play the game. They made tons of money and basked in the fame for many years. You have to accept the consequences that go along with football if you want to play the sport.

yermom
1/24/2013, 11:48 AM
i don't think that was in the brochure.

now some players are telling their kids not to play. i think that is more of what this is about than the money grab

Boomer.....
1/24/2013, 12:12 PM
In all honestly, I would steer my kid away from playing football. It's just too taxing on the body and can lead to lifelong issues.

budbarrybob
1/24/2013, 02:09 PM
AP news wire: Rock Climber's family file suit versus Mt Rainier and the State of Washington. The suit alleges that The state of Washington provided a dangerous climbing enviroment by allowing late season access at Mt. Rainier, located 54 miles Southeast of Seattle. The climber was soloing near the summit when a winter storm hit. Temperatures dropped below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. After an exhaustive search, authorities were able to recover the body of the the climber. Apparently he was well equipped but was unable to survive the storm.

All made up of course, but there is no money to be made from a mountain.

sooneron
1/24/2013, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the issue isn't so black and white as some of you are seeing, the plaintiffs issue is the NFL's cavalier attitude towards head injuries when they had info on how bad they were. They have only started to enforce rules in an attempt to protect the players from long term effects. They knew of these effects long ago, they just didn't do anything about it. Suing a helmet manufacturer is pretty silly, however. Players don't want some heavy clunky version of a helmet. Ala, that helmet that the kicker dude used to wear.

Boomer.....
1/24/2013, 03:44 PM
Bring back the leather helmets. You'd see a whole lot less head to head collisions. I'm joking, but I've heard the argument.

pphilfran
1/24/2013, 06:15 PM
It all depends on if the NFL or helmet manufacturers held back any information on long term head injury consequences...

Midtowner
1/24/2013, 06:17 PM
It all depends on if the NFL or helmet manufacturers held back any information on long term head injury consequences...

It depends on lots of things. Sometimes you have to file a lawsuit to see whether you have a good case or not.

EatLeadCommie
1/24/2013, 06:55 PM
i don't think that was in the brochure.

now some players are telling their kids not to play. i think that is more of what this is about than the money grab

Money is a big part of it and should not be underestimated-- for the lawyers and Seau's family, who have seen his NFL pension dry up due to his death.

cyclonesooner
1/24/2013, 11:50 PM
Back in the 1960's-80's when fb officials were pretty darned good at consistently penalizing players for using the crown of their helmets to spear or tackle with, or pile on well after the play was over, we didn't have near as many problems and it made for a better game. But over the last 20 years, spearing with helmet has trickled down from the pro game to high school ball. There is no excuse for it. Those in charge of making and enforcing the rules have only themselves to blame.
Most of the video you see where someone is seriously injured or paralyzed, poor tackling with the head well down is nearly always the culprit. The same goes with the holding penalty in football. Call what the rule book says. Hands can't grasp outside the framework of the body. If they do it, call it..

jkjsooner
1/27/2013, 05:26 PM
I get suing the NFL because for years they allowed teams to push guys on the field after injuries. In too many cases teams' medical staffs were there to represent the team's interest.

but the helmet manufacturer? They are the ones who have tried their hardest to protect players. They spend millions yearly tring to improve the helmets. What exactly does the Seau family expect?

There is a strong argument that the helmets are too good and that increases risk because of reckless play. That's hardly a valid criticism of the helmet manufacturer.

jkjsooner
1/28/2013, 09:56 AM
I think one of the best ways to make the game more safe is to go back to the days where substitutions are limited. If guys have to play almost every down, you wouldn't have 320 lbs linemen.

Rugby doesn't seem to have the prevalence of serious head injuries that we have. It might be in part because of the lack of padding but I think that the game also requires a different level of stamina which reduces the size that rugby players can be.

There is also a fundamental difference in the nature of the games. American football because it is based on the 10 yard first down concept, hitting in a way that stops the opponent without giving up any ground is very important. As one person said, rugby is about tackling and football is about collisions.

I suppose that's one reason football will always be a dangerous sport...

CobraKai
1/30/2013, 02:17 PM
I think all of the former players that took a head-rattling hit from Junior Seau should file a class action suit against Seau's family.

StoopTroup
1/30/2013, 03:21 PM
I think all of the former players that took a head-rattling hit from Junior Seau should file a class action suit against Seau's family.

Such a true idea. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.